PDA

View Full Version : Potential "dangerous" workaround on restricted lobbies

Franco Ferrari
11-02-2018, 14:47
I've just stumbled upon a potential glitch, bug, or unforseen exception.
I entered to spectate the last laps of a F100 rated lobby in "race" phase, but the race ended that very moment and I've found myself in the lobby with the others.

A player wrote in the chat that "there were rammers", and I asked for the names... but got no response.
Then I immediately noticed that, despite the F100 limit, two of the players had "U" ratings.
And one of them "voted for start" the exact moment the lobby opened again... which is suspicious to say the least (I'm not here to make suppositions or name calling, for the moment... but 2 + 2 equals...).

Anyway... the workaround this event exposed is that two players rated "U" were able to stay inside a "F" rated lobby, probably because the rating check is performed only when the player enters the lobby, and not on the next lobby "resets", if you know what I mean.
So if any player safety rating falls below the minimum lobby rating during the course of the race, he can still remain in that lobby indefinitely until he leaves it. *
I'll let you think about the implications.

* Ok, ok. This is just a supposition, I had not tested this myself (I'd need to intentionally loose safety ratings, which I'm not exactly eager to do), but it's the only possibile explanation.

Finally, I've took a screenshot of the lobby, just for good measure.
Check for yourself.

Franco Ferrari
11-02-2018, 14:54
What baffles me, is that the lobby host (A rated) has "voted for start"... meaning that he didn't notice the situation.
Another player (S rated) did the same... and I cannot help myself but think that both of them are diving head first into a pit of slimy leeches. Poor chaps...

wesker6664
12-02-2018, 08:50
Ciao Franco, it could be that those 'U rated' players have been invited in the server by someone who has the correct requirements ? At least that's how it worked before the patch, i've invited a friend several times in lobbies where he souldn't have acces and he could stay without problems.

Franco Ferrari
12-02-2018, 10:57
Ciao Franco, it could be that those 'U rated' players have been invited in the server by someone who has the correct requirements ?

Ciao. :)

I didn't know about this game logic, and it may explain a lot. :confused:

Ok... if this is the case, then I'm going on a small rambling.
Stay with me.

Let's say you and a couple of friends want to ruin the life of a large number of high rated players.
One of you needs a high safety rating, in our case a "S"... and the rating of the others doesn't matter, but let's say they are "U".
Then you create a lobby with a minimum skill rating and wait for some players to enter.
Once the lobby is ready and with a number of interesting targets in it, you invite the rogue friends and start the race.
If the other players are distracted, they may not notice this happening.
Once the race starts, the host (rated "S") just need to stay out of trouble and maybe enter the pits to avoid any contact, while his friends wreak havoc on the track.
Their rating is already a "U" so they cannot worsen it, while the host remains a "S" because he's not involved in any crash.

Rambling ends.

Am I an evil mastermind or what? :(

wesker6664
12-02-2018, 11:24
I didn't know about this game logic

To be honest, i'm not even sure if there's some 'logic' behind this, or if it's just a flaw in the system... if anyone implemented this on purpose, they might have thought that someone worth an invitation should be clean enough to join an otherwise inaccessible lobby ?

As for the rest of your post, what you describe is totally possible but that would require quite a bit of evil thinking :p

Bealdor
12-02-2018, 11:38
From what I've read it's a first party requirement. Invitation >> lobby restrictions

demadou
12-02-2018, 13:31
Once again, lobby part of the game is almost broken. Damn, that's frustrating.

wesker6664
12-02-2018, 13:35
Once again, lobby part of the game is almost broken. Damn, that's frustrating.
What part of the lobby is broken ? I've done a few online races since patch 4 and didn't encounter any game breaking bug. Please be more specific !

Johnnypenso1
12-02-2018, 15:35
Ciao. :)

I didn't know about this game logic, and it may explain a lot. :confused:

Ok... if this is the case, then I'm going on a small rambling.
Stay with me.

Let's say you and a couple of friends want to ruin the life of a large number of high rated players.
One of you needs a high safety rating, in our case a "S"... and the rating of the others doesn't matter, but let's say they are "U".
Then you create a lobby with a minimum skill rating and wait for some players to enter.
Once the lobby is ready and with a number of interesting targets in it, you invite the rogue friends and start the race.
If the other players are distracted, they may not notice this happening.
Once the race starts, the host (rated "S") just need to stay out of trouble and maybe enter the pits to avoid any contact, while his friends wreak havoc on the track.
Their rating is already a "U" so they cannot worsen it, while the host remains a "S" because he's not involved in any crash.

Rambling ends.

Am I an evil mastermind or what? :(
When I was a young mid-manager looking after some really green lower level managers my boss, the company owner, used to have a saying he'd use in meetings with the rookies, who were always bring up fanciful "what if" scenarios. He'd let them go on and on and finally he'd say, with a perfectly straight face, "What if you were swallowed by a pig and your head was sticking out his :no: and you were being chased by wolves?". Point being, while it's fun to speculate, it's highly unlikely to happen. Of course it should be patched, just in case, but I would assume it's far, far, far down the list of priorities, if it's even on it.

Franco Ferrari
12-02-2018, 17:03
Well, I have a very free-running mind and I know it.
Sure this scenario is highly unlikely... but is it allowed?
Yes, providing the mechanic described in post #3 is correct.

If I'm right... I saw it happening right in front of my own eyes.

Just to summarize: I saw a "U" rated player in a "F" rated lobby, hosted by a "S" rated player, and they both hit the "vote to start" button mere moments after the lobby reopened, while another player warned that "we got some intentional rammers" in the chat, a warning the host ignored completely.

You're more than welcome to think about a logical explanation for this scenario, because I've found none, other than the one I described above in my rambling.
...And of course there is the other one, where everybody was completely dumbfounded!

I'd expect an "S" rated host to be more than vigilant on the races he hosts and the chat messages, and maybe not create a "F100" rated lobby (also, one at Imola with GT3, like there is a shortage of such lobbies online) but that's another story entirely.

Mahjik
12-02-2018, 17:16
Personally, I don't see an issue with the option as it is.. Sure, some can try to exploit it but the benefits outweigh the few negatives.

i.e. being able to host a higher rated lobby but invite those in that you know are good drivers but just haven't spent enough time playing online to "level up" per say.

demadou
12-02-2018, 18:15
I'm a PS4 player so we don't have P4 ...
Anyway, lobby selection, races already begun, bugged lobbies, ... We all waste so much time to find a proper race.
The filter are utterly useless.

I love this game, don't get me wrong, I think it's the best race sim ever. But the MP experience is a mess, a buggy mess.
On this part only, SMS devs should be ashamed.

cpcdem
12-02-2018, 20:17
Well, you guys might have not been in races with a couple guys that team up only to ruin the race for everybody else, by literally creating roadblocks, smashing people and stuff like that. It might sound like a b-movie thing, but I've been in more than 10 races with people like that (some have been reported here) and I am pretty sure they do exploit this feature. Its simple, one of them may have an F ranking, so he joins the F lobby and invites the other(s) with U ranking, then the party begins.

But I realize it might not be even allowed to remove that feature, so the real solution is for people to be aware of such idiots and kick them at the moment they join servers. But hose scenarios are very far from being unlikely to happen unfortunately.

lmntr
14-02-2018, 02:40
The first time I noticed that an U1300 driver was able to enter an E1200 lobby, I just assumed that the game would look first at the numerical portion of your license and would allow you in if your number was higher than on the filter; I never gave it much thought after. It is the reason why I always get a chuckle when I see lobbies with ridiculously low filters such E100! You might as well just have the filter off.