PDA

View Full Version : Noob help with wheel - Center Spring Effect?

TrCan
11-02-2018, 22:50
Hey all,

Very new to sim racing games. Purchased a T300RS and getting accustomed to setting up the wheel settings etc.

My problem, and maybe this is normal, is that I find coming off curbs and such the wheel tries to reset to center and I go flying in that direction. It's not normal is road car, not sure if it is with a racing car. Any advice on how to make that go away or not so pronounced? I did set the FFB fairly low(around 40). I don't seem to have this problem when I try Assetto Corsa. Thanks for any tips!

Trent

morpwr
11-02-2018, 23:04
Hey all,

Very new to sim racing games. Purchased a T300RS and getting accustomed to setting up the wheel settings etc.

My problem, and maybe this is normal, is that I find coming off curbs and such the wheel tries to reset to center and I go flying in that direction. It's not normal is road car, not sure if it is with a racing car. Any advice on how to make that go away or not so pronounced? I did set the FFB fairly low(around 40). I don't seem to have this problem when I try Assetto Corsa. Thanks for any tips!

Trent

Do you have spring and damper set to zero in the control panel?

Mahjik
12-02-2018, 02:24
My problem, and maybe this is normal, is that I find coming off curbs and such the wheel tries to reset to center

Actually, the steering will try to go back the other way... Watch these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH0EvDvccBs&t=13s

You can reduce this effect some in PC2, but it is a real effect.

F1_Racer68
12-02-2018, 03:17
As Mahjik stated, it is a real and accurate effect that even occurs in normal road car. It's a direct result of caster (think front wheels on a shopping cart). In the car setup, you can alter the amount of caster to fine tune this.

There are some settings both in game and and in your wheel's driver software (on pc) that will allow you to reduce/eliminate this, as some form of "fake" centering force is often introduced by the software.

TrCan
14-02-2018, 01:38
Thanks for the replies guys! I didn't play with spring or damper settings. Just bump stops as per Yorkie065's suggestion. That at least clears it up for me that it supposed to be that way. I think the force is a little strong, so just need to keep trying to adjust the wheel to a good setting. As it's a real effect I want to keep it, but should be able to wrestle it back though I think. SO much to learn...lol. Thanks for the tip on caster adjustment F1_Racer68!