PDA

View Full Version : Fuel and other variables

shannam1
12-02-2018, 18:32
Not a frequent problem, but a couple of times I have joined multiplayer qualifying sessions which go straight to the race start without the usual interval during which you can adjust your fuel level or other set-up for the race condition before hitting "Ready" for the race start. Quali is over, next thing you know the race is starting.

As a consequence of this, the race started with whatever the current (from quali) fuel load happens to be, and I found myself running out of fuel after a few laps.

Anyone know if this is bug or if it's actually possible for someone to configure a multiplayer race in this way?

In general, in MP it's hard to know in advance when someone has chosen variable weather, rolling starts, mandatory pit stops, forced assists with no set-up options, full vs. no damage and myriad other things which would (a) influence how you approach a race and (b) decide whether to participate in them at all (for example I don't want to race with assists and rolling starts are usually a nightmare). I like joining other peoples' sessions rather than create more sessions but some of these seem to be used for the sole purpose of catching out players who don't know about them in advance.

xX-Chris-Xx
12-02-2018, 18:39
It's an option in Race settings on Lobby the host can chose!

shannam1
12-02-2018, 19:32
It's an option in Race settings on Lobby the host can chose!

Interesting - thank you.

So, is it actually possible (if you're not the host) to see when this is the case? Needless to say, it sucks to be forced to start races with insufficient fuel. It seems I never get to see the list of race parameters before entering practice or qualifying, and I'm wondering if that's just me being clueless or blind.

What kind of person you have to be to trick people into entering unwinnable races in this way would be a question we can ignore for now.

Krobo
12-02-2018, 20:41
Once you find a server you want to join upon the first click you will come to a page that displays all the realism settings ,sessions & will show some weather info as well ,you can see all this before you hit the next JOIN button ..

Once you hit that button you will then be in the MP lobby where you can navigate the arrows on the right hand side panels to also see what rules & other settings the server has set !

shannam1
12-02-2018, 21:59
Thank you Krobo!

Really helpful. I'm sure I don't currently see this info before joining but at least now I can go and check the reason why.

FxUK
12-02-2018, 22:41
Thank you Krobo!

Really helpful. I'm sure I don't currently see this info before joining but at least now I can go and check the reason why.

When in the qualifying / pre-race setup screen, you can also click on 'Online lobby' (iirc) to get back to the screen shown in the second screenshot above, there you can view most of the information as Krobo indicated. The only gotcha with these is the lack of info on the 'additional weather slots' that could potentially be set.

I don't think the lobby details (first screenshot) is shown if you enter via invite.

shannam1
30-03-2018, 23:31
Still not seeing in the settings highlighted above where there is an option which skips the set-up interval between qualifying and the race, meaning that anyone who qualified on insufficient race fuel will run out of fuel in the race. Does that option really exist? I've had a few races lately in which I was forced to start with not enough fuel and it's really a shitty way to waste time in a race event

awaite85
31-03-2018, 15:05
Not a frequent problem, but a couple of times I have joined multiplayer qualifying sessions which go straight to the race start without the usual interval during which you can adjust your fuel level or other set-up for the race condition before hitting "Ready" for the race start. Quali is over, next thing you know the race is starting.

As a consequence of this, the race started with whatever the current (from quali) fuel load happens to be, and I found myself running out of fuel after a few laps.

Anyone know if this is bug or if it's actually possible for someone to configure a multiplayer race in this way?

In general, in MP it's hard to know in advance when someone has chosen variable weather, rolling starts, mandatory pit stops, forced assists with no set-up options, full vs. no damage and myriad other things which would (a) influence how you approach a race and (b) decide whether to participate in them at all (for example I don't want to race with assists and rolling starts are usually a nightmare). I like joining other peoples' sessions rather than create more sessions but some of these seem to be used for the sole purpose of catching out players who don't know about them in advance.

Make a qualifying setup and a race setup for each car. When you're done qualifying, load your race setup that is always set with sufficient fuel.

foxymop
31-03-2018, 15:24
If there's no mandatory pit stop, the fuel should automatically set to the fuel need if the current amount it's not enough. And that could also be an option in the menu. On or off.

rich1e I
31-03-2018, 16:17
If there's no mandatory pit stop, the fuel should automatically set to the fuel need if the current amount it's not enough. And that could also be an option in the menu. On or off.

Why not adjust the fuel manually? It really doesn't hurt, I promise ;)

shannam1
31-03-2018, 17:20

I adjust fuel manually every time I'm prepping for a race. That's not the problem I'm talking about. I'm talking about finishing qualifying and going straight to the grid, red lights coming on for the start, without having any opportunity to either load a race set-up (as suggested above) or adjust the fuel load to the number of laps (or time) for the race. It doesn't happen frequently, but it's impacted maybe 10 races for me and I literally either run out of fuel on-track, or have to pit, which is pretty stupid in a 6 or 8 lap race. It's true that you can add fuel in the dying moments of quali (I don't always know how many laps we're about to do but, yes, I can go look it up) but that doesn't help when I'm out on track in the final moments of quali and don't get any time to do that.

I have found the option in the menus which define the race parameters for a multiplayer race, so I see where people get to do this. What I still cannot see is where someone joining the race gets to see whether that option is checked. There are some weird people around but it does seem that a few people use this option to catch out their opponents.

rich1e I
31-03-2018, 20:08
I adjust fuel manually every time I'm prepping for a race. That's not the problem I'm talking about. I'm talking about finishing qualifying and going straight to the grid, red lights coming on for the start, without having any opportunity to either load a race set-up (as suggested above) or adjust the fuel load to the number of laps (or time) for the race. It doesn't happen frequently, but it's impacted maybe 10 races for me and I literally either run out of fuel on-track, or have to pit, which is pretty stupid in a 6 or 8 lap race. It's true that you can add fuel in the dying moments of quali (I don't always know how many laps we're about to do but, yes, I can go look it up) but that doesn't help when I'm out on track in the final moments of quali and don't get any time to do that.

I have found the option in the menus which define the race parameters for a multiplayer race, so I see where people get to do this. What I still cannot see is where someone joining the race gets to see whether that option is checked. There are some weird people around but it does seem that a few people use this option to catch out their opponents.

Yeah it's happened to me too, but I had to start with a full tank. I understand what you mean. Hosts started to disable the 'ready up' screen because sometimes people just took their time instead of readying up immediately. There's no way to see it in the lobby settings if 'ready up before the race' is enabled or not.
Best thing to do is to return to the pits just before qualy ends and adjust the fuel and everything needed for the race.

awaite85
31-03-2018, 21:31
Yeah it's happened to me too, but I had to start with a full tank. I understand what you mean. Hosts started to disable the 'ready up' screen because sometimes people just took their time instead of readying up immediately. There's no way to see it in the lobby settings if 'ready up before the race' is enabled or not.
Best thing to do is to return to the pits just before qualy ends and adjust the fuel and everything needed for the race.

Make a seperate qualifying setup with low fuel, and no brake or radiator cooling. Make a Race setup with a good amount of fuel and cooling. Then it's a quick setup load when you're done qualifying

rich1e I
31-03-2018, 23:08
Make a seperate qualifying setup with low fuel, and no brake or radiator cooling. Make a Race setup with a good amount of fuel and cooling. Then it's a quick setup load when you're done qualifying

I agree, it's the best thing to do.

foxymop
02-04-2018, 09:29

Ok Amy Schumer.