PDA

View Full Version : pCARS2 Modding Discord

LamboMantisMan23
13-02-2018, 16:56
If you want to chat and watch work in progress on mods for Project CARS 2, please join the Discord:

https://discord.gg/M93gheC

LamboMantisMan23
01-12-2018, 20:07
The Discord has been going well. We have had quite a few releases recently. 488 Pista, F50, Mercedes C63 AMG Black Series, Toyota AE86 GTS and some others. Also, SVJ coming soon by me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuMqQvYizVY&t=44s

Come join us...

Javaniceday
02-12-2018, 23:35
I hope you guys work on adding a BoP option for the classes that could use it (GT1, GrpA), as well as integrating this app - the Custom Random Weather automator - http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?56777-quot-Custom-Random-Weather-Automator-quot

Urban Chaos 2.0
03-12-2018, 20:32
Question: What steps have you taken to actually ensure that the mods you make adhere to the real vehicles' specs and behavioural characteristics?

LamboMantisMan23
04-12-2018, 19:26
Question: What steps have you taken to actually ensure that the mods you make adhere to the real vehicles' specs and behavioural characteristics?

We have the ability to make a car have their own physics and can input real data much like SMS do. There are a few of us modders, some are very good at recreating physics, others are more of a visual artist. But when physics are done, they are testing until they are close as we can get.

balderz002
05-12-2018, 12:40
We have the ability to make a car have their own physics and can input real data much like SMS do. There are a few of us modders, some are very good at recreating physics, others are more of a visual artist. But when physics are done, they are testing until they are close as we can get.

If you ever make a DB4 GT (Or Zagato), I may well download it.....

Urban Chaos 2.0
05-12-2018, 14:49
If you ever make a DB4 GT (Or Zagato), I may well download it.....

OK, how realistic would you say your C63 Black Series is? How close is it to the real car in terms of behaviour?

Gregz0r
05-12-2018, 15:28
Make a late 1980s/early 1990s F1 car and I’ll be all in.

Gregz0r
05-12-2018, 15:29
Double post.

LamboMantisMan23
05-12-2018, 19:03
Make a late 1980s/early 1999s F1 car and I’ll be all in.

I’ve had the MP4/4 on my hard drive for a while. I guess I could finish it off.

robillard3381
06-12-2018, 07:23

I think it's a question of feeling. Actually, most people don't know how behave each supercar, each race car. How can you say an original game car is correct in term of behavior? It's the same for our mods. We try to make them the most accurate in term of specs, we watch videos of them, we test them a lot. For my Pista and my F50, it took me 1500 km of test before releasing them, until they were driveable, enjoyable. What I can say is just: test them, enjoy, and if you don't like them, uninstall them! Hope you will like our mods.

LamboMantisMan23
07-12-2018, 17:36
My SVJ has been released. Download in the Discord :D

Urban Chaos 2.0
09-12-2018, 17:15
I think it's a question of feeling. Actually, most people don't know how behave each supercar, each race car. How can you say an original game car is correct in term of behavior? It's the same for our mods. We try to make them the most accurate in term of specs, we watch videos of them, we test them a lot. For my Pista and my F50, it took me 1500 km of test before releasing them, until they were driveable, enjoyable. What I can say is just: test them, enjoy, and if you don't like them, uninstall them! Hope you will like our mods.

Slightly Mad Studios works with manufacturers, whereas you don't. That's why I'm concerned. Considering what I know about the time and care taken by SMS to construct each car, I trust that the cars in Pcars2 are authentic representations of the real ones.

JDougNy
10-12-2018, 17:32
Slightly Mad Studios works with manufacturers, whereas you don't. That's why I'm concerned. Considering what I know about the time and care taken by SMS to construct each car, I trust that the cars in Pcars2 are authentic representations of the real ones.
I'm not a part of anything these guys are working on, but it's time to stop with questioning.

You put too much trust in SMS. I dig into the physics. Let's start with aero....many cars are floating in the air, due to downforce configured as positive lift. As soon as the car moves forward, the front end is lifting off the ground (quite a bit in some cases). Cars that have no diffuser have downforce coming from a diffuser in the physics. Most cars have incorrect total drag coefficient. Too much total downforce set on a lot of cars.
SMS has body inertia set far too low. SMS has unsprung mass set wrong in many cases. There are bad links in some suspension files.
Spring frequency tuning doesn't always make sense. The relationship (critical damping) of dampers to spring frequency don't make sense in many cases.
I could go on and on about SMS physics.
What SMS did was put love into some cars that were used for showcasing to others when promoting PC2. Once you move past those few cars, things start to get ugly.

Urban Chaos 2.0
10-12-2018, 20:30
I'm not a part of anything these guys are working on, but it's time to stop with questioning.

You put too much trust in SMS. I dig into the physics. Let's start with aero....many cars are floating in the air, due to downforce configured as positive lift. As soon as the car moves forward, the front end is lifting off the ground (quite a bit in some cases). Cars that have no diffuser have downforce coming from a diffuser in the physics. Most cars have incorrect total drag coefficient. Too much total downforce set on a lot of cars.
SMS has body inertia set far too low. SMS has unsprung mass set wrong in many cases. There are bad links in some suspension files.
Spring frequency tuning doesn't always make sense. The relationship (critical damping) of dampers to spring frequency don't make sense in many cases...

You need to be clear about the role of "fudging". You cannot always have exact values and systems when constructing linked mechanical bodies in an interactive computer simulation for mass-produced hardware. I'm sure you should know this.

I could go on and on...

Please do. The more information, the better. Also: Feel free to be as technical as you can. An informed opinion is want I want to have, whether it's in SMS' favour or not. Please, cite examples, post pictures, etc. Also: It'd be nice for you to include cross-referenced data to support your position. Saying something "doesn't"make sense" isn't a meaningful critique. For such a statement doesn't mean things are wrong, and what it could mean, is that the intermediary mechanisms by which those things which don't make sense to you are interpreted, are unknown to you, or as well are difficult for you to understand (as we are dealing with software).

As I said, the more meaningful information you can provide in support of your case, the better. This is not about defending or arguing against SMS. It's about understanding. What are you saying, and how do you ascertain the veracity of your statements?

Mike Scott
10-12-2018, 21:26
you require a lot of effort on the part of modders to convince you to try out mods. Why not actually just try them and form an opinion on your own?
I remember that in the past you were opposed to the idea of SMS allowing modding in their games, so if things changed then really go ahead and take a plunge. Delete the mods if you find them substandard.

Urban Chaos 2.0
10-12-2018, 21:36
you require a lot of effort on the part of modders to convince you to try out mods. Why not actually just try them and form an opinion on your own?
I remember that in the past you were opposed to the idea of SMS allowing modding in their games, so if things changed then really go ahead and take a plunge. Delete the mods if you find them substandard.

Well mods have arrived. Protesting it isn't of any use. I wish the best of luck to the modders, and do hope that it only ads to peoples' enjoyment of Project Cars 2.

morpwr
10-12-2018, 22:03
I actually tried a couple of them last night. Id say well done guys.

JDougNy
10-12-2018, 23:38
You need to be clear about the role of "fudging". You cannot always have exact values and systems when constructing linked mechanical bodies in an interactive computer simulation for mass-produced hardware. I'm sure you should know this.

Please do. The more information, the better. Also: Feel free to be as technical as you can. An informed opinion is want I want to have, whether it's in SMS' favour or not. Please, cite examples, post pictures, etc. Also: It'd be nice for you to include cross-referenced data to support your position. Saying something "doesn't"make sense" isn't a meaningful critique. For such a statement doesn't mean things are wrong, and what it could mean, is that the intermediary mechanisms by which those things which don't make sense to you are interpreted, are unknown to you, or as well are difficult for you to understand (as we are dealing with software).

As I said, the more meaningful information you can provide in support of your case, the better. This is not about defending or arguing against SMS. It's about understanding. What are you saying, and how do you ascertain the veracity of your statements?

Now, I've pointed to areas where SMS has issues already....aero, drag, i'll throw in tyre grip, way too low body inertia, default spring rates and their resultant frequency, damping not following normal design standards, adding extra unsprung mass to suspension which only further reduces the already too low body inertia.
In the past, somebody passing the info to SMS on my behalf. I pointed out how they are computing body inertia wrongly. They had included a reduction for unsprung mass, when the physics engine does its' own reduction when loading in the physics for the car. So, there was a double reduction (once in the calcs, and another in the physics engine). So, the physics guy for SMS adjusted but was still too low with the values.

I've been examining/working with SMS physics since 2009. I'll tell people right where the problems are. SMS should have the understanding to read what I'm writing and have another look at what they are doing. I don't have time to create a hand puppet show for those that don't understand.
and yes, you can input real data, follow real design standards and get the results you're looking for.

I don't do physics for the cars by LMM23 and I don't do physics for anybody in the Discord group he's involved with (anymore). So, I can't speak for them as to their level of knowledge in physics or what they have done physics-wise for the cars they have released. I did try out the Lambo and left a note for LMM23 on FB page about how the front has a lot of positive lift (front lifting off of the ground a lot)....lose some front grip because of that.

I make cars and do physics with my modding partner GVSE (Mike Scott). We're a separate team.

morpwr
12-12-2018, 10:38
Anyone tried the Lykan? I think there is something off in the steering because its really heavy and I mean to the point it almost undrivable.

LamboMantisMan23
28-12-2018, 20:45