PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen wipers are way off

Marlborofranz
18-02-2018, 12:24
There seems to be an issue with the windscreen wipers in rain.

The speed at which the rain drops build up on the windscreen is not determined by driving speed and rain intensity, but by how fast you wipers are wiping.

For example: if it rains light and you set your windscreen wipers to fast, the drops appear as when you were riding in a thunderstorm.
Same the other way around: if it rains like hell and you set your wipers to slow, rain drops will build up slowly.

Also the effect is a bit off. The wipers wipe, return to the original position. Then for a short time no drops appear at all. Then all of a sudden the drops explode all over the screen, and then you wipe them off again

This makes windscreen-wipers/different speeds obsolete because you don't need to set them up according to your rain level.

Seelenkrank
18-02-2018, 12:26
old problem...

Deckles
18-02-2018, 20:00
Yeah, this has been annoying me for a while.

Marlborofranz
18-02-2018, 20:05
old problem...

I know, I mentioned this in another thread that originally was about a different issue.

Hence opening this thread to draw attention. The animations annoy me so bad that I never ever use fast wipers at all.

Seelenkrank
18-02-2018, 20:18
well there are so many bugs i think this is on the bottom of the "to-do" list...

John Hargreaves
18-02-2018, 21:14
It isn't a bug as such, i.e. something intended to work a certain way but somehow goes wrong. It's an animation effect designed to make it look like rain hitting the windscreen and being wiped away. During development there were various discussions about the physics of the rain flow etc, but the more processing power goes into simulating water flow, the less is available for tyres/road surface etc. A compromise was reached which might not be perfect, but allows us, especially with console processing power, to have a decent water effect without losing out elsewhere.
Just part of the overall design of how to spend the processing power available, not perfect maybe, but clever enough to do the job.

Seelenkrank
19-02-2018, 03:57
some timing optimization when the rain hits the windscreen then.

Silraed
19-02-2018, 07:01
I can understand it being a compromise for performance reasoning but as it is there is no sense in having the two wiper speeds. You are handicapping yourself if you choose to use the faster wipers, why would you ever use them?

Marlborofranz
19-02-2018, 07:23
It isn't a bug as such, i.e. something intended to work a certain way but somehow goes wrong. It's an animation effect designed to make it look like rain hitting the windscreen and being wiped away. During development there were various discussions about the physics of the rain flow etc, but the more processing power goes into simulating water flow, the less is available for tyres/road surface etc. A compromise was reached which might not be perfect, but allows us, especially with console processing power, to have a decent water effect without losing out elsewhere.
Just part of the overall design of how to spend the processing power available, not perfect maybe, but clever enough to do the job.

I totally get the point and as software developer I know that not just a few times the system is the limiting resource in such cases.

But we don't need complex fluid simulations. This is not what my thread is about.

The problem is simply caused because the fluid and droplet buildup on the windscreen is currently set by the windscreen wiper speed, not the actual rain level.
This can be solved by making the droplet buildup speed dependand on weather (light, heavy rain), and keeping the droplet removal animation bound to the wiper animation speed.

I think we can forgive about droplets building up faster the faster you drive, this might be too much. But otherwise, I can't see major performance inpact here. Especially since this clearly doesn't need scientific SPC fluid simulations that melt down your CPU. It's a simple animation that exists anyway. Just works the wrong way. And in other games it works, folks, magically without melting my CPU.

Another Edit: Sure this is not top priority. But this game is a simulation and it's just weird being able to make your cockpit look like you're driving through a monsoon while it actually drizzles a little. And the other way around...