PDA

View Full Version : KERS issue with LMP1-H at LeMans

KANETAKER
19-02-2018, 23:26
Good afternoon, I really have no idea in what section this post should go since it is not something related to the Setups, but it is related to the driving style and characteristics of the hybrid LMP1 in Project CARS, which It is not the same for LMP1-H in other games like AC, FM and GTS. From the "last months of life" of the PCARS1 (June-September 2017) some players began to understand better the system of KERS in the LMP1-H available in the game, above all that of the Toyota TS040 following the record of Kobayashi which it inspired many players to finally dare to try the TS040 and exploit its limits since previously no player did (only using the RWD P30 in races).

Although some players have managed to improve our lap times and speed on the long straights of La Sarthe (achieving unreal times between 3:10 and 3:17 on PCARS2 against 3:21 - 3:22 of LMP1-H cars in the 2014 edition of LeMans), we still experience certain problems with the KERS system which we need some explanation please.

Some players (including me) usually use almost the same areas (and the same amount) to use and reserve the KERS, but instead there are other players who somehow manage to have KERS available just in the areas where the other players are very much is missing, specifically in all the 3rd sector, between Arnage and the entrance to the Main Line (after the chicane Ford), and this is for the 4 cars LMP1-H available in the game, being more notorious in the Toyota because has the most powerful KERS in the game but in turn of shorter duration, while the Audi and the RWD P30 do not depend much on the KERS and compensate with the power of its engine.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so to explain it in the best way, I attach the layout of La Sarthe indicating the way I use the KERS, and indicating precisely the areas where I have problems and where I need help please or advice on how or where to get KERS for the 3rd sector specifically.

The truth, considering that La Sarthe has long straights, I do not understand how much time can be lost in the only section where KERS is not available, just before entering the sector of the Porsche Curves. Sometimes it seems a matter of luck to have enough KERS available to reach the 7th gear after Arnage and before reaching the Porsche Curves, since in my case I only reach the 5th or 6th gear, which leaves me totally exposed to the attack of any Toyota car that manages to have KERS available to reach the 7th gear.

This happened to me 2 times in an online race at LeMans (a race of 5 laps only) that I could not win despite being the fastest player in the game (3: 18-3: 19 vs 3: 20-3: 21). I started the race (with the Toyota TS040) in 7th place (the system eliminated my only qualifying lap with which I would get the pole position) while the other player (also with a TS040) started from the first positions. After getting overtake the other cars I was only 2 seconds behind the leader but only 2 laps remained. Due to the huge speed difference in the long straights I could cut those 2 seconds and overtake the leader at the end of Mulsane and then distance from him almost 2 seconds before Indianapolis and Arnage; but after that slow curve Arnage, the KERS is over before I can reaching the 5th-6th gear and only in that stretch sector the other player manages to recover the 2 seconds and overtake me as if he was a rocket while I looked like a GTE car so slow I accelerated. Although in the Porsche curves, Maison Blanche, Corvette and Ford Chicanes I could stay very close to him (less than 1 second), but surprisingly he still had KERS available to accelerate to the top when entering the Main Line, while I could only have the KERS available again after crossing the finish line.

Considering that unlike the previous lap (in which I was 2 seconds behind the leader) this time I was less than 1 second and with everything in my favor to get hold of the tip once I overtook it on the 1st of the 3 straights of Les Hunaudieres ... but for my bad luck just before braking at the end of the Main Line (before Dunlop Chicane), the game freezes 1-2 seconds (until when can SMS finally fix that problem that is ruining races?) and the other player distanced himself 2 seconds from me, repeating everything that happened in the previous lap: I overtook him and managed to overtake him before Mulsane, but after Arnage he manages to recover the lost position and I ended up losing the race despite being much faster than him. And to make matters worse, the other player scoffed saying that I'm not as fast as I look...

The objective of this post is that ... I need some guidance or advice on which areas of the LeMans track I should use and reserve the KERS so that I can have enough energy to at least accelerate to the maximum between Arnage and the Porsche Curves, but without implying having to sacrifice speed in the 4 long straights of the circuit (my top speed is 330 Km / h in the 1st straight from Les Hunaudieres).

This could be easier if SMS could put some numerical indicator in the HUD (as in the cars of IndyCar), indicating the number of times that we can use the KERS, although it is quite complicated to control it because everything depends on the pressure of the foot on the gas pedal; and it is possible that, in spite of having some control over the pressure of the pedal, it is enough to exceed a little bit so that the system assumes that you have used KERS, eliminating one of your available times, even if you have not consumed the KERS completely in said chance.

I tried this, avoiding using KERS after crossing the Dunlop bridge and before Tertre Rouge, but sometimes it does not work and I can not get enough KERS to accelerate to 7th gear after Arnage. Reaching the 6th gear only serves me if the other player does not have KERS or if he is not driving a Toyota or is more than 2 seconds away.

Tar Heel
20-02-2018, 02:24
My $0.02 to the current KERS system in the LMP1-H cars. I know it wouldn't be 100% realistic but neither is the current setup. I wish the KERS could be mapped to a button on the wheel instead of being tied to the pedal. It would make managing the KERS easier while not holding the overall car back as much only giving just under 90% throttle.

I honestly don't care if that would make TT times even faster as I don't equate RL times to TT times. I do think it would allow racers to employ the KERS system more consistently and closer to how it works IRL as performance of the car wouldn't be hamstrung from less than 100% performance without using the KERS.

Having the KERS mapped like you can map DRS would be awesome and a welcomed change to me for the LMP1-H cars.

TexasTyme214
20-02-2018, 03:29
It's been said that the 2014 cars we have so not have a manual KERS deployment. We didn't see this until 2015 with the Porsche's battery approach to LMP1. All the cars the following year went to battery (instead of flywheel or super capacitor like the Audi and Toyota previously had). Those cars before 2014 had to build all the KERS in a burst and use it all in the exit of the turn. Porsche's approach allowed them to have left over energy saved up that allowed a manual override button to make sense.

KANE, to answer your original question, it sounds like you're faster than the opponents, using more KERS, until Arnage. From them on, your opponents make up for lost time with "extra" uses of KERS. If we hypothesize that KERS output is proportional to the throttle position (after reaching the 80% ish throttle threshold to initiate KERS), maybe using a tiny bit less throttle would save you some KERS for the Arnage exit, Masion Blanche, and Ford. Obviously this is tedious to do manually. If I remember correctly, you can cut throttle input with the fuel mapping. If you use normal fuel mix, you'd lost some time through the first 70% of the track like your opponents, but in theory, you should be using less KERS than you would with rich fuel mix. That might give you a couple extra bursts. You might even try going rich when you run out of KERS, but use a leaner mix for full power. I haven't tested this myself, but it's something to try. It might work.

KANETAKER
20-02-2018, 04:12
My $0.02 to the current KERS system in the LMP1-H cars. I know it wouldn't be 100% realistic but neither is the current setup. I wish the KERS could be mapped to a button on the wheel instead of being tied to the pedal. It would make managing the KERS easier while not holding the overall car back as much only giving just under 90% throttle.

I honestly don't care if that would make TT times even faster as I don't equate RL times to TT times. I do think it would allow racers to employ the KERS system more consistently and closer to how it works IRL as performance of the car wouldn't be hamstrung from less than 100% performance without using the KERS.

Having the KERS mapped like you can map DRS would be awesome and a welcomed change to me for the LMP1-H cars.

Let's be honest ... Until now, no video game on the market has managed to perfectly emulate the operation and driving style of LMP1-H cars. Although we have to give credit to the SMS kids because at least in PCARS 1 and 2 we have the KERS available and a visualization of it when it is being used and recharged. Since on the other hand in the other games (AC, FM and GTS) we are not shown the KERS in those same cars or any way to use it, just accelerate, brake and raise or lower gears, nothing to activate a button or control the pressure on the gas pedal.

Returning to the system of LMP1-H in PCARS, we are not sure if this is how it should work in real life, since in the game we have to know how to use KERS very well, both when finding key points in the track where use it completely, as well as the way and the points where it can be recharged (using the brakes) to take advantage.

The problem with this system is that it is not real, especially if we compare it with these onboard videos of the real LMP1-H, where we see a completely different functioning of the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy91BcB8pRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTRtAfKG7k

If we pay attention in the HUD of the TV broadcast, we have the indicators of the level of use of the throtle and brakes as well as the energy bar of the KERS. In some parts of the track we see that the driver does not consume the KERS despite having the throtle to the maximum (according to the HUD), but we do notice that they usually use part of the KERS at the exit of the curves, as in the game, except in the few slow zones of the track.

In the case of the Porsche 919 video, the moments in which the KERS is working both when consuming the energy and when recharging it are more noticeable, since the green bar of the KERS in the HUD flashes and is reduced at the same time as the he hears a peculiar whistle in the camera onboard. It is not clear to us how the driver activates the use of the KERS, if by means of a button, or automatically (previously configured), since the throttle pedal is not shown to us ... unless the WEC HUD of TV Broadcast continue to erroneously show the operation information of the LMP1-H despite having already 7 years in the business, specifically since 2012 coinciding with the debut of the Audi R18 eTron Quattro (the 1st LMP1-H in theory).

Another notable defect if we compare the game with reality, is the method of handling and braking of the LMP1-H at the end of the straights and before entering a curve or chicane: In real life we see that the LMP1-H cars need lift the foot of the throttle pedal very early, before 200 m, for in the 100 m use the brakes and reduce the gears; unlike the cars LMP1-L, LMP2 and GTE, which can continue accelerating to full, and brake after 200 or 150 m. In contrast, in the game all players use the same method as any other non-hybrid racing car: Keep the throttle pedal at maximum until after 200 or 150m before using the brakes. Nobody uses the method of lifting the foot of the throttle pedal before 200 m, unless it is due to some mechanical problem with the brakes, fuel consumption, or the conditions of the track (rain for example).

The ideal would be to transfer that realism to the game, but for now it seems almost impossible. Maybe wait until PCars 3 (?)

KANETAKER
20-02-2018, 04:36
It's been said that the 2014 cars we have so not have a manual KERS deployment. We didn't see this until 2015 with the Porsche's battery approach to LMP1. All the cars the following year went to battery (instead of flywheel or super capacitor like the Audi and Toyota previously had). Those cars before 2014 had to build all the KERS in a burst and use it all in the exit of the turn. Porsche's approach allowed them to have left over energy saved up that allowed a manual override button to make sense.

I see that my previous comment was written when they had not yet published this answer about the 2014 and 2015 cars, and now that I have published it, I have just seen it.

So let's hope that the new LMP1-H cars (2016) that are said (according to rumors) to come in the DLC pack of LeMans have already implemented that new KERS utilization system, although I do not keep much hope in terms of changing the driving style of these cars, since 2014 has been used in real life that technique of slowing down before reaching the braking point ... and it would be good if that could be moved and used in the game, instead of the traditional style of accelerating thoroughly and then using the brakes .

KANE, to answer your original question, it sounds like you're faster than the opponents, using more KERS, until Arnage. From them on, your opponents make up for lost time with "extra" uses of KERS. If we hypothesize that KERS output is proportional to the throttle position (after reaching the 80% ish throttle threshold to initiate KERS), maybe using a tiny bit less throttle would save you some KERS for the Arnage exit, Masion Blanche, and Ford. Obviously this is tedious to do manually. If I remember correctly, you can cut throttle input with the fuel mapping. If you use normal fuel mix, you'd lost some time through the first 70% of the track like your opponents, but in theory, you should be using less KERS than you would with rich fuel mix. That might give you a couple extra bursts. You might even try going rich when you run out of KERS, but use a leaner mix for full power. I haven't tested this myself, but it's something to try. It might work.

If you read my original comment well, I mentioned that this personal problem with KERS was ALSO in PCARS1, and in that game there is NO function of fuel maps ... So I would have to find another solution, but the issue is that if I sacrifice the use of KERS in one area I am totally exposed in another, and vice versa. Although in the race that I mentioned, I could have won because my opponent only managed to score 3:20 while I was riding at 3:18 - 3:19, but fortunately I only had 2 laps to reach and overtake, and on the last lap I experienced that unexpected LAG problem that freezes the game for 1 or 2 seconds just when braking on a curve, which helped my opponent distance himself for 2 seconds. Otherwise I would have managed to overtake and distance myself enough to avoid being reached in the 3rd sector.

It could be said that in this case it was a matter of luck. But instead I need to be prepared in case this situation is experienced against an opponent who has the same performance and lap times as me.

In addition I have already made some races in LeMans using the 3 fuel maps and I have never noticed any variation with the consumption of the KERS, simply the car has less acceleration and top speed. Apart, it would be good if SMS could have a button to use fuel maps more easily and quickly, since in the case of those who have very few buttons on the steering wheel, the use of the menu on the track is complicated, having to take advantage of only the straight lines to use it without risk.

Azure Flare
20-02-2018, 05:25
. Having the KERS mapped like you can map DRS would be awesome and a welcomed change to me for the LMP1-H cars.

That wouldn't be realistic since it's deployed automatically in the real cars. And before you say AC has that feature for hybrid race cars, just having that is also unrealistic

Blaulicht
20-02-2018, 06:18
Let's be honest ... Until now, no video game on the market has managed to perfectly emulate the operation and driving style of LMP1-H cars. Although we have to give credit to the SMS kids because at least in PCARS 1 and 2 we have the KERS available and a visualization of it when it is being used and recharged. Since on the other hand in the other games (AC, FM and GTS) we are not shown the KERS in those same cars or any way to use it, just accelerate, brake and raise or lower gears, nothing to activate a button or control the pressure on the gas pedal.

Returning to the system of LMP1-H in PCARS, we are not sure if this is how it should work in real life, since in the game we have to know how to use KERS very well, both when finding key points in the track where use it completely, as well as the way and the points where it can be recharged (using the brakes) to take advantage.

If we pay attention in the HUD of the TV broadcast, we have the indicators of the level of use of the throtle and brakes as well as the energy bar of the KERS. In some parts of the track we see that the driver does not consume the KERS despite having the throtle to the maximum (according to the HUD), but we do notice that they usually use part of the KERS at the exit of the curves, as in the game, except in the few slow zones of the track.

In the case of the Porsche 919 video, the moments in which the KERS is working both when consuming the energy and when recharging it are more noticeable, since the green bar of the KERS in the HUD flashes and is reduced at the same time as the he hears a peculiar whistle in the camera onboard. It is not clear to us how the driver activates the use of the KERS, if by means of a button, or automatically (previously configured), since the throttle pedal is not shown to us ... unless the WEC HUD of TV Broadcast continue to erroneously show the operation information of the LMP1-H despite having already 7 years in the business, specifically since 2012 coinciding with the debut of the Audi R18 eTron Quattro (the 1st LMP1-H in theory).

Another notable defect if we compare the game with reality, is the method of handling and braking of the LMP1-H at the end of the straights and before entering a curve or chicane: In real life we see that the LMP1-H cars need lift the foot of the throttle pedal very early, before 200 m, for in the 100 m use the brakes and reduce the gears; unlike the cars LMP1-L, LMP2 and GTE, which can continue accelerating to full, and brake after 200 or 150 m. In contrast, in the game all players use the same method as any other non-hybrid racing car: Keep the throttle pedal at maximum until after 200 or 150m before using the brakes. Nobody uses the method of lifting the foot of the throttle pedal before 200 m, unless it is due to some mechanical problem with the brakes, fuel consumption, or the conditions of the track (rain for example).

The ideal would be to transfer that realism to the game, but for now it seems almost impossible. Maybe wait until PCars 3 (?)

The thing is in reality the KERS distribution is controlled by a program, which gets adjusted for every track. The driver doesn't have to do anything. What the driver can do is distributing kers manually to make overtaking easier.

Therefore it's pretty hard to simulate these hybrid cars as you would have to make a specific program for every track. Thats the reason why all sims base the distribution on the throttle position/gear/speed.

The reason why P1 cars aren't braking right away is for fuel reasons, as they are only allowed to consume a specific amount per lap even in the qualifying

Ofnir4
20-02-2018, 10:56
One thing that would be nice to know at least is our hybrid allocation for the lap. Guessing that I have 60% of one application coming out of Arnage isn't really the way to go.

I wouldn't go against a KERS button mapping but it would be to stop the deployment, not to activate it. That way out of the kinks, you can go 100% on throttle and cut the hybrid before it's empty to have a better overall reserve for the lap part of the lap.

RomKnight
20-02-2018, 12:53
Just to Casey's notes on this:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?41348-The-Physics-of-Japanese-Cars-Expansion

AbeWoz
20-02-2018, 13:03
The real car's many computers control the KERS deployment automatically, just as Blaulicht said. The car knows where it is on track and deploys KERS at the key areas depending on the engine map selected. What the 2016 and 2017 cars added was a CUT button (at least Porsche did I believe) that allowed the driver to stop the KERS deployment in particular areas. This allowed them to save some of the KERS energy for use later in the lap for overtaking if needed.

Ofnir4
20-02-2018, 13:31
I guess we will see in June/july if the probable 2016 LMP have that enhanced hybrid control (or knowledge, because the 2016 919 and TS050 both had their current battery level and lap application on their display) or plain ol' drain all the way down and repeat until you run out at some unknown point after Arnage (or maybe between Indy and Arnage).

AbeWoz
20-02-2018, 14:20
also, the TS040 was the 6MJ class and the 2016 919 and TS050 were 8MJ while the Audi was 6MJ.

KANETAKER
20-02-2018, 15:41
One thing that would be nice to know at least is our hybrid allocation for the lap. Guessing that I have 60% of one application coming out of Arnage isn't really the way to go.

I wouldn't go against a KERS button mapping but it would be to stop the deployment, not to activate it. That way out of the kinks, you can go 100% on throttle and cut the hybrid before it's empty to have a better overall reserve for the lap part of the lap.

I would also like there to be that, so as not to consume KERS in unwanted areas of the track, and thus have enough energy available for the rest of the track. That way no player would experience the same problem that I have.

For now the only solution I could find to get more KERS to use after Arnage was to avoid using the KERS between the Dunlop Bridge and Tertre Rouge, but... on the other hand I would experience a similar problem in the 1st sector (especially on the 1st lap at the beginning of the race), being exposed to those players who use the whole KERS between the Dunlop bridge and Tertre Rouge, although at least when it is the beginning of the lap I can easily recover the position lost in the long straight because the other player having spent all his KERS no longer has enough acceleration and speed to reach 320 km/h (my top speed with the TS040 in PCARS2 is 330 km/h but only if mechanical failure are disabled).

Just to Casey's notes on this:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?41348-The-Physics-of-Japanese-Cars-Expansion

Personally, I like the TS040 of the PCARS2 more than the TS040 of the PCARS1. In the PCARS2 the Toyota is much faster than in the previous game, at least in terms of lap times and top speed, since instead of passing through curves, the TS040 of the PCARS1 was too fast and sometimes even indomitable for some players, but penalized a lot in the long straights due to the lack of top speed, even though reserving the KERS to use it in the middle of the straights, the combustion engine was just starting to lose power quickly once it KERS boost was over; on the other hand, in the PCARS2, if you have the gearbox properly configured, the combustion engine does not lose that extra power so quickly and even continues to accelerate even more slowly.

The big question now is to wait for the TS050 in the game (if confirmed) to have the same performance and speed as the real car, especially if we take as a reference the 336 Km/h that one of the TS050 reached in LeMans, according to the HUD of the video onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy91BcB8pRQ

Stewy32
20-02-2018, 18:58
Kane I don't want this to sound aggressive but you do not choose where to deploy your hybrid power.The ACO and the FIA decided where teams can deploy their energy initially and then the manafactuers got to decide themselves.Porsche introduced a manual override for the second generation 919 Hybrid but this could only be used very rarely or it would disturb the system-the amount per lap and per kilometre was still set.You do not and cannot have an infinite supply of Hybrid energy otherwise it is completely pointless.Think of it this way,you have 5 apples every 7 meals,at 2 of those meals you cannot eat an apple otherwise you would run out of Apples.

Also, the RWD and Marek aren't fully functioning Hybrid LMP1 cars.

KANETAKER
20-02-2018, 19:59
Kane I don't want this to sound aggressive but you do not choose where to deploy your hybrid power.The ACO and the FIA decided where teams can deploy their energy initially and then the manafactuers got to decide themselves.Porsche introduced a manual override for the second generation 919 Hybrid but this could only be used very rarely or it would disturb the system-the amount per lap and per kilometre was still set.You do not and cannot have an infinite supply of Hybrid energy otherwise it is completely pointless.Think of it this way,you have 5 apples every 7 meals,at 2 of those meals you cannot eat an apple otherwise you would run out of Apples.

Almost everyone knows that the KERS of the LMP1-H in the game has a limited amount of use. The problem is to find a way to control that use, and be able to use it properly when it is needed, but it becomes very complicated to have to avoid pressing more than 80-90% of the throttle pedal.

Perhaps it could be easier if there was a better visualization of the KERS system in the HUD of the car / game, since at the moment it is only shown as a bar that is unloaded every time the Throtle pedal is pressed to 100% and recharged every time the brakes are used, but it does not show us the amount of energy (or the number of charges) remaining to use during the rest of a lap. Currently one has to be a fortune-teller, or be lucky enough to be able to reserve enough energy for the 3rd sector.

Also, the RWD and Marek aren't fully functioning Hybrid LMP1 cars.
I would also include the 2014 Audi R18 eTron Quattro.

Stewy32
20-02-2018, 20:03
I would also include the 2014 Audi R18 eTron Quattro.

Google the official ACO document for the 2014 24 hours of Le Mans Entrylist and you'll see that it most definitely is. 2MJ of Hybrid Energy per lap of Le Mans is it's output.

Tar Heel
21-02-2018, 08:07
That wouldn't be realistic since it's deployed automatically in the real cars. And before you say AC has that feature for hybrid race cars, just having that is also unrealistic

Right neither is the current system. In 2014 race engineers would map out where the KERS would deploy on track and the driver has no control over it. We don't have race engineers though and to implement how the real 2014 regs worked would not be worth the time and effort IMO. Therefore I think my suggestion of mapping it to a button instead of throttle input would be a good compromise as it would allow us to play the role of the race engineers while avoiding the drop off you currently see in performance when you can't go full throttle

blinkngone
21-02-2018, 22:11
Right neither is the current system. In 2014 race engineers would map out where the KERS would deploy on track and the driver has no control over it. We don't have race engineers though and to implement how the real 2014 regs worked would not be worth the time and effort IMO. Therefore I think my suggestion of mapping it to a button instead of throttle input would be a good compromise as it would allow us to play the role of the race engineers while avoiding the drop off you currently see in performance when you can't go full throttle

Yes, I think a button like you can use on the Caterham SP/300.R would help a lot. I can sort of manage the throttle on the Etron but on the P30 RWD it is too easy to go over 509 horsepower and start depleting the KERS when you don't want to.

Tar Heel
21-02-2018, 22:37
Yes, I think a button like you can use on the Caterham SP/300.R would help a lot. I can sort of manage the throttle on the Etron but on the P30 RWD it is too easy to go over 509 horsepower and start depleting the KERS when you don't want to.

We are in a situation with these cars that it isn't realistic to expect their hybrid systems to be simulated 1 for 1 and I am of the mindset that a button assignment is closer to the real thing than throttle input for the simple fact that having it tied to throttle input ultimately hamstrings the car because if you try and save the KERS you are not driving the petrol engine at 100% which is not something you would see IRL. The other way I like to look at it by attaching the KERS to a button it would be giving the player the power of the race engineer and driver (since it isn't realistic to expect SMS to put a race engineer in the game to control the KERS).

GOAT Vettel
21-02-2018, 22:41

Thats why I'd prefer the AC approach Change how much is used during the race along with a Kers button. For Le Mans I'd have it set to like 20-30% to have it last the whole lap. In this game you have to be very careful on the throttle which I don't think is much better regardless if it's "more" realistic or not.

Ofnir4
21-02-2018, 23:14
Except it's really off, unrealistic for 2014. PC2 is not enough but not by much (it lacks lap allowance), AC is way too much control, copy and paste their F1 hybrid system. I won't my breathe for the 2016 cars but ready to be surprised.

belaki
22-02-2018, 14:33
KERS usage in the 2014 cars is a less than zero sum game, by design. Sure you can try to save it somewhere, but saving it will cost you more time than you'll gain later.

So, the net effect is in qualifying, no difference - time is time. Under race conditions, in a multi-class environment, you'll often be saving a bit here and there due to accommodation for slower traffic.

If you're getting smoked in single-class racing, you're getting smoked by someone who's quicker under the same regime you're restricted to - and its not because of KERS, per se, unless the design of your car puts you at a disadvantage in terms of joules.

Frankly, its a bit galling to read complaints from guys who are already lapping at a pace well beyond real world possibility. I'd love to lap Lemans in 3:14 in the R18, but I can't seem to find those last bits needed to break through 3:21 - but I can absolutely say with the secret isn't in KERS...

I don't think...

KANETAKER
22-02-2018, 16:06
KERS usage in the 2014 cars is a less than zero sum game, by design. Sure you can try to save it somewhere, but saving it will cost you more time than you'll gain later.

So, the net effect is in qualifying, no difference - time is time. Under race conditions, in a multi-class environment, you'll often be saving a bit here and there due to accommodation for slower traffic.

If you're getting smoked in single-class racing, you're getting smoked by someone who's quicker under the same regime you're restricted to - and its not because of KERS, per se, unless the design of your car puts you at a disadvantage in terms of joules.

Frankly, its a bit galling to read complaints from guys who are already lapping at a pace well beyond real world possibility. I'd love to lap Lemans in 3:14 in the R18, but I can't seem to find those last bits needed to break through 3:21 - but I can absolutely say with the secret isn't in KERS...

I don't think...

As you say at the beginning, that is a dilemma when managing the KERS in a round: If you reserve KERS for the 3rd sector, you are being exposed in the 1st sector; and if you use the KERS in the 1st and 2nd sector, you run out of energy for the 3rd sector and you are vulnerable, unless you get a good protection cushion by then.

If you had to take as reference cars that do not use KERS, those would be the LMP900, LMP2, GT1 and Group C. Coverall the cars of Group C, highlighting 2 of them: Sauber C9 and Nissan GTP.It should be noted that the Nissan GTP was apparently balanced in the last patch (1.4) and is no longer as OP as it was before, but it is still fast enough. The Nissan has an advantage in the corners, while the Sauber C9 is extremely fast on the long straights. In the case of more even cars like the LMP2 it is easier to find this dilemma: Be fast on the straights or curves? Or try to find the perfect balance ...

As I mentioned in my original post, I was 2 seconds faster than my opponent, and although only in the 3rd sector I had less power due to the lack of KERS, I would have won the race anyway, since it was a lot faster in the other 2 sectors, but to my bad luck on the last lap I experienced that LAG BUG that freezes the game for 1 - 2 seconds and occurred just when braking on the 1st LeMans corner. My rival distanced 2 seconds, and although I could reach it and overtake on the straights on that same lap, I lost the race by not having enough KERS in the 3rd sector to prevent the other car to recover the 1st position. If there were another lap it would not have been necessary to try to even block the opponent desperately, although that does not work if the other car goes over 300 km / h and you have just 280 km / h.

TexasTyme214
22-02-2018, 22:23
I think it's cool that we have optional strategies for getting around the track. It presents another skill level necessary to get the most out of the car. If people want to be able to brainlessly use KERS all around the track without thought, I guess the easiest thing to request is for the cars to have smaller energy levels per each burst but keep the limits the same.

Stewy32
22-02-2018, 22:41
I know it would be difficult to implement but maybe for the first flying lap of Free Practice it is on manual but where you deploy on that lap is where it auto-deploys in the race itself.

belaki
24-02-2018, 14:51
Now you're getting to the crux of the matter. Our sprint racing mentality doesn't really work well in endurance racing. You simply ran out of laps.

In my case, I can't get the R18 to 200 mph fast enough to be competitive sprinting. Without actual attrition I'm toast.