PDA

View Full Version : Oil temperature question

CastrolGT
20-02-2018, 12:12
hi guys

I have a question for the oil temperature. what is the maximum temp to drive without overheat in Celsius? because I find quite odd that the cars at 75% of opened radiator still manages to get over 100C even on long straigts

thanks in advance

Zaskarspants
20-02-2018, 12:26
100 degrees centigrade would be the minimum to aim for to avoid water build up in the oil.

Google suggests 150 c max.

wesker6664
20-02-2018, 13:18
I think that the threshold in game is around 120C, above that the engine will begin to take some damage

AbeWoz
20-02-2018, 13:26
i aim for 100-105C

Zaskarspants
20-02-2018, 13:28
I think that the threshold in game is around 120C, above that the engine will begin to take some damage

I am definitely not an expert on oil. The 150 c figure was in a google result I found for synthetic oil.

TBH I assume my engine damage is usually the result of poor down shifts, missed gears, and on some cars high boost. I usually race with all HUD elements off so I may have missed high temp causing damage.

rich1e I
20-02-2018, 13:42
I think if you don't want to wear your engine out too quickly you want your oil temp to stay between 95C and 100C, maybe 105C. Iirc 115C is the limit where the HUD already shows a few % engine damage. Might differ between racing classes, I don't know to be fair.

CastrolGT
20-02-2018, 14:11
I think if you don't want to wear your engine out too quickly you want your oil temp to stay between 95C and 100C, maybe 105C. Iirc 115C is the limit where the HUD already shows a few % engine damage. Might differ between racing classes, I don't know to be fair.

well, for example, in GT3(I use the Aston Martin) the car gets at around 108C in slow to medium speed tracks like Hockenheim or Nurburgring. while in Monza, it barely passes the 100C
for the LMP1, it's about the same as the GT3 on monza. so, I guess that I can go up to 110C without almost any problem. just maybe a little bit loss of top speed. all of these are with the default 75% radiator opening. I know that the water temperature should not exceed 95-97C but there's no info on the water temp in the HUD unfortunately

AbeWoz
20-02-2018, 14:16
well, for example, in GT3(I use the Aston Martin) the car gets at around 108C in slow to medium speed tracks like Hockenheim or Nurburgring. while in Monza, it barely passes the 100C
for the LMP1, it's about the same as the GT3 on monza. so, I guess that I can go up to 110C without almost any problem. just maybe a little bit loss of top speed. all of these are with the default 75% radiator opening. I know that the water temperature should not exceed 95-97C but there's no info on the water temp in the HUD unfortunately

most cars will have the water temp on the MoTec display. May need to cycle pages.

wesker6664
20-02-2018, 14:28
i aim for 100-105C
You can aim much higher than that (btw i'm speaking of GT3 cars) and close the radiator a bit ! Personally i've hit 110 a few times with road cars, it's not uncommon to reach 120 and more on track :o

AbeWoz
20-02-2018, 14:43
You can aim much higher than that (btw i'm speaking of GT3 cars) and close the radiator a bit ! Personally i've hit 110 a few times with road cars, it's not uncommon to reach 120 and more on track :o

I know, but I air on the side of caution since i tend to run more endurance races. I'll close the radiator more for short sprint races and online lobbies.

CastrolGT
20-02-2018, 14:43
thanks for the infos. basically, I can close the radiator until I hear my engineer saying "your engine is overheating" or something like that and then open it just a bit, then

wesker6664
20-02-2018, 14:48
Like AbeWoz suggested just before though, you should keep a margin of 10 just in case... and also check the power output on the telemetry page, on many cars it's best to shift earlier than close to the limiter, that'll keep the temperatures in check, save engine's life AND ensure optimal power delivery.

CastrolGT
20-02-2018, 14:51
Like AbeWoz suggested just before though, you should keep a margin of 10 just in case... and also check the power output on the telemetry page, on many cars it's best to shift earlier than close to the limiter, that'll keep the temperatures in check, save engine's life AND ensure optimal power delivery.

yeah, I know that I should use the power curve at my advantage. I already did that back in Project CARS 1 with the C7R(the power started dropping just before the shift lights gets on) and I still do it in every sim I use. it's funny when you race against someone that uses all the RPM band instead of the power curve and they see you flying by and wonder how you're so fast :highly_amused:

davidt33
20-02-2018, 16:51
100 degrees centigrade would be the minimum to aim for to avoid water build up in the oil.

Google suggests 150 c max.
Wow. I never knew that and always wondered too how do you adjust oil temperature as I've never seen anything for oil temperature adjustment. I gather now that it's the radiator cooling/opening affects the oil temperature. I just took it the default 75% radiator setting was safe and the standard way to go and that a lower setting provided faster speed. I used to lower the radiator setting to 30-50% up until recently and even at 75% I realised I was getting engine/oil overheating warnings. I've never raised it above 75% but now I would raise it to say 100%. Only thing I'll now be concerned about losing speed.
Thanks for the heads up and to the OP for bringing up the subject.