PDA

View Full Version : Times to shoot at

Mincepie10
20-02-2018, 15:28
Hi all, just wondering whether the leaderboard times on Steam are a good representation of top lap times? Not that I get close to the top times, but would like something to shoot at. I play the AI as I am too worried I will take someone out if I play online and be subject to hate mail/contract killers etc, etc. I ask because I was messaging someone the other day who was doing VERY competitive times in terms of the Steam leaderboard, but wasn't on the list. Many thanks.

FxUK
20-02-2018, 15:40
I play the AI as I am too worried I will take someone out if I play online and be subject to hate mail/contract killers etc, etc.

I see you are on PS4 and not sure what leaderboards you mean when you say steam (in-game or elsewhere?)
But you can look at these ones, not sure if PC only, somebody else will likely chime in on that:
http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/

Edit: Also, lap times only get recorded in time trial, if you get a world record in a race, it won't go on the leaderboards, as far as I know.

As for the racing online... Accidents happen and the majority of people accept that, especially if you give a quick sry in chat or show it wasn't intentional by giving the spot back, etc. Most of the rage comes into play when somebody is intentionally there to wipe out other players and has no interest in racing themselves. Ok, so there are some who will play to 'win at any cost', but it starts to become clear when somebody is doing things intentional or not. Plus, if you are clean the majority of the time, your safety ranking will reflect that. You should try it, it can be exhilarating and fun.

blinkngone
20-02-2018, 15:45
Yes, the wmdportal is for PC only. The times are competitive depending upon how many runs have been made with a particular car/track combination. Sometimes console times are better other times PC times are better.

Gix916
20-02-2018, 15:46
the steam leaderboard times are PC only and are set in Time Trial mode, so unless your friend is on PC and doing Time Trials he won't appear on the list. The leaderboard times wil give an indication of what sort of time is possible, usually they are set with a specific TT setup not a race one.

iggy
20-02-2018, 15:52
Problem with leaderboards on PS4 are you only see the fastest of the 'class' of car. There is no way to filter by actual car model... and for any one person, only one single time would show... For example, lets say I was a great driver ( and I'm not )... and lets say I could beat 99% of people when driving any particular car. The only lap time you'll see of mine in the TT, is the car that was the best of all cars in that class that I drove. You won't see my time in a GT4 car, because my best score might have been done on a GTE car...

While not perfect... I suggest a 'decent' way to figure out a good lap time, is by running against the AI.. I can tell you this, most of the time, if you can run with the AI at 80% , your better then at least 80% of the real people you might go up against online. If you can beat the AI at 90%, your probably pushing pretty close to being able to beat 90% of the people who race online. If your actually one who can run with or beat the AI at 100%... your probably easily faster than 99% of people you'll come up against online...

I personally vary rarely can beat any AI at 100%, often times, I struggle to beat AI at 80%, especially when first learning a track or car... so effectively, my initial goal for myself is to be able to consistently race for win with AI at 80%... after that, it's just trying to make some small gains here and there until I get as fast as I can.

Mincepie10
20-02-2018, 15:56
the steam leaderboard times are PC only and are set in Time Trial mode, so unless your friend is on PC and doing Time Trials he won't appear on the list. The leaderboard times wil give an indication of what sort of time is possible, usually they are set with a specific TT setup not a race one.
Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at this: ahttp://pcars.13ms.de/#/times/545979690?vehicle=1972396515
As for racing online. I will give it a go, but with only one screen I have limited side view and find that I sideswipe the AI quite regularly. I can barely see the side mirrors on the TV so have to rely on the rear view mirror, which means I'm guessing where someone is (though the red arrows do help). I don't want to ruin anyone else's fun by taking them out on the first corner, though I did see there were online races also for those of us who aren't so good.

cpcdem
20-02-2018, 16:01
Also if the times are representative of what can be achieved now, depends also on the car and the time the lap was logged. Some cars are now much faster than what they were on game release, while some others are much slower now. So in some cases it's not possible to even get close now to the times registered some months ago, but for probably more than 50% of the cars, I would say that the leaderboard times are indeed a good target to shoot at.

cpcdem
20-02-2018, 16:10
Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at this: ahttp://pcars.13ms.de/#/times/545979690?vehicle=1972396515

Have a look at the same leaderboard in

http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=545979690&vehicle=1972396515

an look at the date where each time was logged. This will tell you that there were a lot of top times logged in last October and November, but a few in December and January, which is a very good indication that in patch 3 this car became much slower than before. But you can also see that the very top time was logged a few days ago, which is a very good indication that after patch 4, the car is fast again, possibly even faster than it was before patch 3. You can look at the stats and judge for yourself which times are representative now :)

As for racing online. I will give it a go, but with only one screen I have limited side view and find that I sideswipe the AI quite regularly. I can barely see the side mirrors on the TV so have to rely on the rear view mirror, which means I'm guessing where someone is (though the red arrows do help). I don't want to ruin anyone else's fun by taking them out on the first corner, though I did see there were online races also for those of us who aren't so good.

Use the proximity arrows, they should hep a lot. Also the spotter should help a lot, too, the one provided by the game, or the one from CrewChief, they are both very good IMO. Don't worry, a lot of people race online with 23'' screens and they manage, just needs practice to be able to race side by side with others. Not making sudden changes of line definitely helps :)

Mincepie10
20-02-2018, 17:32
I am sniggering here as I am struggling to beat the AI on 70 and 70 aggression. I'm faster, but not consistent enough. If I qualify well, I can get into the lead, but either I mess up and spin off (usually when trying to overtake) or the AI catches me in the last couple of laps (I usually race 10 laps), when my tires seem to lose a lot of grip and I am at least a second slower than on lap 6 or 7. Sigh. Currently, I am ONLY racing Oulton and ONLY the Porsche GT3 endurance. It is a frustrating learning curve!

iggy
20-02-2018, 17:45
If you can hold your own line... and sensibly move over if you see someone fast coming up on you... and your actually trying to be careful... you'll be fine online. I was hesitant to get online at first, but I must say, I've learned a lot more about racing by driving with other people, then I have when racing against the AI. I do still practice a lot while offline, but if you really want to know how to race, and to stay out of trouble , doing it with real people is much more of a lesson...

If/when you get online, I'd suggest you just run your own race... don't try and actually win, just try to get around the track as smoothly as possible. There are probably others who you're capable of beating online, in fact I'm sure of it... Learning how to race around people worse and better than you is all part of the education you need.

iggy
20-02-2018, 17:47
Oh, and I'll guarantee you, your not going to be capable of keeping up with anyone on the leader board if you can't hang with AI at 70% :) But that should not stop you from racing online.

cpcdem
20-02-2018, 18:15
I am sniggering here as I am struggling to beat the AI on 70 and 70 aggression. I'm faster, but not consistent enough. If I qualify well, I can get into the lead, but either I mess up and spin off (usually when trying to overtake) or the AI catches me in the last couple of laps (I usually race 10 laps), when my tires seem to lose a lot of grip and I am at least a second slower than on lap 6 or 7. Sigh. Currently, I am ONLY racing Oulton and ONLY the Porsche GT3 endurance. It is a frustrating learning curve!

Yeah, it's a slow progress, it takes a lot of time and practice until you can go faster and more consistently. And then you realize there are others who are still much faster and more consistent and it all starts over again :). But over time, it's very satisfying seeing the progress you have made since a few months ago.

About being a lot slower in the ending laps, maybe your tires are also overheating, or end up with too much pressure after a number of laps? What does the hud display about the pressures? What are your lap times?

Regarding not spinning when overtaking and being generally more consistent, give it time and you will get there. Maybe also race in a few more tracks, to spice things up a bit and make the racing less repetitive. Different tracks can give you more and different skills.

Jetsun
20-02-2018, 20:41
Maybe also race in a few more tracks, to spice things up a bit and make the racing less repetitive. Different tracks can give you more and different skills.

Yes and i also do now different class on the same track, slower or faster ones, vintage or modern, it gives me new lines, broader my perspective, that helps when I come back to my main car, generally improving my handeling in the process.
I learn a new track with FR or Gt5 and then when I'm around AI 80 times I'm starting to play around with other cars.
I find that this way there is a kind of synergy going on that helps the learning process, can't word it better though...

Visceral_Syn
20-02-2018, 20:47
If you can hold your own line... and sensibly move over if you see someone fast coming up on you...

This is actually bad racing etiquette, if you are on the line, stay on the line. It is the passers responsibility to pass you. If you move off the line, when a faster car approaches, you would be causing the problem.

Mincepie10
21-02-2018, 10:30
Thanks for all the tips. I managed a 1:37.00 at Oulton with the GT3 Porsche, so at least according to the leader board I'm not that far off a decent time. Though talking to others on the forum 1:35 seems a more "reasonable" fast time.
I am a whole second faster with the F 488 GT3. I assume they are meant to turn in similar times, but the 488 is SO much easier to drive and corner. I saw a thread about this a while back - that the 488 was just faster than the other GT3 cars. I read that one of the patches had fixed that. Of course, it may be that the 488 is not rear-engined and has better balance. But it still seems odd that it is a much easier (faster) drive. It rides the curbs better, seems to accelerate faster just in default trim and you can brake later. I've had to fiddle with the Porsche just to be able to brake consistently without sailing way too deep into the corners. Maybe it's a driving style thing, of course.

Mark Race
21-02-2018, 11:03
Personally I like to look up the real lap times for the car/track in question (where available of course) and see how close I can get to the competitive times set, if I'm lapping within the range set by the real cars I'm happy and work from there on matching real pole/record times if I can. As most race weekend results include weather, track and air temperature it is also possible to match the conditions. I also find this helps with setting AI performance for a good race, if I know I can set a fairly consistent time I set the fastest AI to be just a little faster as a challenge.

It really does help having the individual car leaderboards on PC to do this real world matching and it would be useful on the consoles but I understand they restrict the number of leaderboards a game can have. It is soon clear on the PC leaderboards if a certain car is way faster or slower than any real world results but for many they are spot on or close enough.

iggy
21-02-2018, 11:12
This is actually bad racing etiquette, if you are on the line, stay on the line. It is the passers responsibility to pass you. If you move off the line, when a faster car approaches, you would be causing the problem.

Which is why I said sensibly move over...

Zaskarspants
21-02-2018, 11:50
Thanks for all the tips. I managed a 1:37.00 at Oulton with the GT3 Porsche, so at least according to the leader board I'm not that far off a decent time. Though talking to others on the forum 1:35 seems a more "reasonable" fast time.
I am a whole second faster with the F 488 GT3. I assume they are meant to turn in similar times, but the 488 is SO much easier to drive and corner. I saw a thread about this a while back - that the 488 was just faster than the other GT3 cars. I read that one of the patches had fixed that. Of course, it may be that the 488 is not rear-engined and has better balance. But it still seems odd that it is a much easier (faster) drive. It rides the curbs better, seems to accelerate faster just in default trim and you can brake later. I've had to fiddle with the Porsche just to be able to brake consistently without sailing way too deep into the corners. Maybe it's a driving style thing, of course.

Opinions and times vary. The Ferrari feels a bit numb to me, I am fastest with the Ginetta in the gt3 group.

iggy
21-02-2018, 12:32
Mincepie, are you you manually shifting when your driving?

If not, then I would like to give you some of my own experience with regard to driving different cars in PC2 when using automatic shifting... Some cars seem to shift at better point in the RPM... The Ferrari GT3 car seems to have one of the best setups for it's automatic shifting ( presumably this is all chosen by someone at SMS, I'm not totally sure how the shift points are determined though )... The Ferrari in general seems to be a pretty good all around car, but I think for people who are still using auto shifting, it has some advantage just simply because it shifts at about as close to ideal as you could hope for. The BMW M6 on the other hand has horrible shift points and it's virtually impossible to get anywhere near maximum potential out of the M6 when driving in automatic mode...

Another thing... if you want to go really fast, shifting manually is very important. When I first started trying to go fast in these virtual cars, I thought it was way too hard to shift manually, so just didn't even try... I managed to get reasonably good in some cars( like the Ferrari ), but eventually I started shifting manually. What I noticed is that breaking can be done much more effectively if your downshifting properly... also getting into the correct gear for a corner and staying there can also help keep your speed right on the edge of being out of control in those corners... In short... after I figured out how to turn, break, accelerate, AND shift while doing it all, I got a bit faster... and I don't think I would be progressing much more now if I had continued to try and use automatic shifting.

Mincepie10
22-02-2018, 09:41
Hi and thanks. Yup, I am shifting manually, though I don't use the clutch (something I must try since I have the G29 with the clutch pedal). What I noticed with the Ferrari is it is more "planted". Again, it may just be my wild driving style, but I make many more errors with the Porsche and I am slower. I am working toward a good time with the Porsche (call me pig-headed or obsessive, if you like), though as suggested by others here, I am trying different cars out at Oulton to see where the lines are different, the braking can be earlier/later etc. It is, as an earlier post suggested, a very good way to get a new perspective. After all, someone famous once said the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting to get a different result.