PDA

View Full Version : Porsche GT3 Spring rate question

Andyzx6r
20-02-2018, 16:03
Hi all, being new to this forum and Project cars 2 I'm trying to setup a Porsche GT3 and found that my Spring rate will only go to 150N/mm front Left and 190N/mm rear left.
On some setups i have seen this (Youtube) as 290N/mm Front Left and 320N/mm. Im struggling to find out why and how this is. Please can someone help me out.

AbeWoz
20-02-2018, 16:31
Hi all, being new to this forum and Project cars 2 I'm trying to setup a Porsche GT3 and found that my Spring rate will only go to 150N/mm front Left and 190N/mm rear left.
On some setups i have seen this (Youtube) as 290N/mm Front Left and 320N/mm. Im struggling to find out why and how this is. Please can someone help me out.

suspension geometry was updated with patch 4 based on new data available for the real car.

Andyzx6r
20-02-2018, 17:10
suspension geometry was updated with patch 4 based on new data available for the real car.
Thanks AbeWoz appreciated

KANETAKER
02-03-2018, 11:55

Now I understand it all. That explains why the only good GT3 car I had for some circuits went from being a good car to being one of the most ... I had a good setup for that car on Daytona Road with which I could even fight the GTE cars, but now that setting is no longer working properly: It overheats soft tires in summer, while in a cold or at night the car has absolutely no grip. This has grabbed me by surprise and cost me some races and many license points, especially in some races where I had got the pole position but having progression of time the car lost all its good performance when the track temp goes cold.:mad:

AbeWoz
02-03-2018, 12:14
Now I understand it all. That explains why the only good GT3 car I had for some circuits went from being a good car to being one of the most ... I had a good setup for that car on Daytona Road with which I could even fight the GTE cars, but now that setting is no longer working properly: It overheats soft tires in summer, while in a cold or at night the car has absolutely no grip. This has grabbed me by surprise and cost me some races and many license points, especially in some races where I had got the pole position but having progression of time the car lost all its good performance when the track temp goes cold.:mad:

soft tires are meant for the cold weather.....have been since day 1.....

Atak Kat
02-03-2018, 13:15

I also had a similar issue. I often use the Porsche GT3 and I had a setup that was working quite well for me. After the patch I lost at least 2-3 seconds per lap (various tracks), and I felt like the grip was much different. I'm slowly getting it back with various setup adjustments again, but it's taking a long time. Still a work in progress....

The most significant thing I have found is the difference needed in the brake balance. Before patch I found 58/42 was pretty good, and seemed to work well for me. After the patch was a disaster and I found that I was locking up in the braking zone all the time and I couldn't figure out why. I thought it was the tires, or the 'live track' that maybe resulted in less grip that was causing the lockups. The constant locking was resulting in me also overheating the tires, and eventually loss of grip in corners, etc.....

But, over time, I've been adjusting the brake balance more to the rear, and now I'm actually at about 50/50. The braking is much better now, more consistent, and I don't lock up like I was right after the patch. I've gained most of my laptime back, just for this. This particular change in the overall setup is by far the most significant difference I've noticed....

If that sounds like what you experienced as well, try to adjust the brake balance more rearwards to see if that helps.

KANETAKER
02-03-2018, 13:29
soft tires are meant for the cold weather.....have been since day 1.....

I already knew that. But if you read my comment well (and this one http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51345-Some-desirable-features-for-incoming-patches&p=1483736&viewfull=1#post1483736 ) the problem is that having modified the parameters in the adjustment of the Porsche, made that in cold conditions my setting did not work with soft tires, when before they worked. Everything is by the changes on the springs:

Due to this unexpected change, the behavior of the car with the setup I had to make times of 1:45 in the race became a nightmare: With hard tires the car has no grip even in very hot conditions, while soft tires they only work in these conditions for a few turns and then overheat. But what I did not expect was that soft tyres would not work in cold conditions either. I had to modify the springs to reduce oversteer in corners and recover grip. But unfortunately I do not think the car will be able to roll again at 1:45, but at 1:46 - 1:47.

Just yesterday I lost a race at Daytona after getting the pole position with soft tires under sunny weather. The race was set at the beginning of March so the environment was fresh, ideal for the soft tires and the setup that I used at that time (without having reviewed the issue of the springs). But I did not know that the race was going to have a progression of time, and the race developed almost completely in the darkness of the night, and under much colder conditions than in qualifying. At first I thought that since I had soft tires I would not have to worry, but during the first 2 laps my car simply had NO grip and the whole race I tried to keep the car on the track, while my rivals distanced themselves, when I was supposed to be dominating the race. It seemed as if I had hard tires instead of soft tires.

After the race I published that other comment suggesting SMS to put in the information of the online games if there is progression of time or not. But then I went to check the 911 GT3 setup to check if there was any change, and indeed it was. I made the adjustments and tested the car under the same conditions of race (March at night) and finally I could run without any problem, being even faster than the player who won that race in which I should have won, if not for those two drawbacks (the changes in the springs, and not knowing that the race would happen from day to night).

blinkngone
03-03-2018, 00:25
After the 4.0 Patch there have been some new WRs in TT but there doesn't appear to be a magic solution to brakes and springs with the revised suspension.
Nurburgring GP, springs 120/150-brakes 47/53. RBR GP, springs 150/170-brakes 56/44. Spa, springs 150/150-brakes 57/43. COTA GP, springs 110/140-brakes 56/44. Brands Hatch GP, springs 100/160-brakes 54/46. So, mostly it appears you need to really tune the springs and brakes according to the track and your own driving style to get the best out of the new suspension.

Balles a Blanc uses the same 150/150-57/43 for his WRs at Spa and Laguna Seca so this suits his driving style.

rich1e I
03-03-2018, 01:04
I've found the Porsche really enjoyable to drive in terms of handling before and after the patch tbf. Brake balance 56% in the front and I actually found I had to stiffen the dampers a little bit. As Yorkie suggested in one of his videos I'd remove all bump stops, front and rear. Cars really feel a lot better.

blinkngone
03-03-2018, 01:28
I've found the Porsche really enjoyable to drive in terms of handling before and after the patch tbf. Brake balance 56% in the front and I actually found I had to stiffen the dampers a little bit. As Yorkie suggested in one of his videos I'd remove all bump stops, front and rear. Cars really feel a lot better.
Yes the forward brake balance is still the most popular. I have seen most of the bump stops still at 9(Default) all the way around so people aren't adjusting those yet. Not much work being done on the dampers. The 4.0 Patch is still relatively new.

Atak Kat
03-03-2018, 10:09
I find this whole brake balance thing really interesting. Because no matter what I do, if I have the brake balance up in the 56 range, I am just locking up the fronts all the time. And I cannot get the stopping power I'm used to. I'm getting pretty good on the brake pedal to find the point just before the tires start to screech (or, just lightly screeching), but I really find the braking distance goes way up on the Porsche if I run the brake balance up in the 56 range. It is by far the biggest difference I've seen in the Porsche when comparing patch 3 to patch 4.

I get it, everyone has a preference. But knowing how important braking is to good lap times, I cannot figure out how guys are keeping their braking distance down with brake balance so far to the front (compared to what I'm running at 50/50). For me, there's just no way I can run such fast lap times with brakes so far forward on the Porsche. I must be missing something else....

blinkngone
03-03-2018, 10:45
I find this whole brake balance thing really interesting. Because no matter what I do, if I have the brake balance up in the 56 range, I am just locking up the fronts all the time. And I cannot get the stopping power I'm used to. I'm getting pretty good on the brake pedal to find the point just before the tires start to screech (or, just lightly screeching), but I really find the braking distance goes way up on the Porsche if I run the brake balance up in the 56 range. It is by far the biggest difference I've seen in the Porsche when comparing patch 3 to patch 4.

I get it, everyone has a preference. But knowing how important braking is to good lap times, I cannot figure out how guys are keeping their braking distance down with brake balance so far to the front (compared to what I'm running at 50/50). For me, there's just no way I can run such fast lap times with brakes so far forward on the Porsche. I must be missing something else....

Is the Porsche with the revised suspension the only car that is doing this after the 4.0 Patch? How are you doing with the Renault R.S. 01 GT3?

rich1e I
03-03-2018, 13:45

If you're locking your wheels in first place you should check your brake pressure, it might be too high. You can also increase ABS. It's not necessarily a matter of preference but of stability having brake bias more to the front, depending on the track.

Atak Kat
03-03-2018, 20:19
If you're locking your wheels in first place you should check your brake pressure, it might be too high. You can also increase ABS. It's not necessarily a matter of preference but of stability having brake bias more to the front, depending on the track.

I understand clearly. But it's not so simple for me. I had a good setup, good lap times before the patch. No lockups so significant. I tried all the things you mention and they did not give me the answer or recovery of my times. Only answer was to shift the bb much more to the rear. And now my times are as good, or even better than before.

I'm not complaining. I'm happy (maybe happier) with the car performance after the patch, and with this bb change.

But it remains that this is the biggest difference I have seen.

Atak Kat
03-03-2018, 20:21
Is the Porsche with the revised suspension the only car that is doing this after the 4.0 Patch? How are you doing with the Renault R.S. 01 GT3?

Honestly I didn't drive the R.S. 01 before the patch. So I can't really say....

blinkngone
03-03-2018, 23:28
I understand clearly. But it's not so simple for me. I had a good setup, good lap times before the patch. No lockups so significant. I tried all the things you mention and they did not give me the answer or recovery of my times. Only answer was to shift the bb much more to the rear. And now my times are as good, or even better than before.

I'm not complaining. I'm happy (maybe happier) with the car performance after the patch, and with this bb change.

But it remains that this is the biggest difference I have seen.

That's fine Atak Kat, run whatever is comfortable for you to run and makes you happy.:D The only thing is when you bring it up people are going to try and help you figure out why the brake balance is different for you, not trying to annoy you, just trying to figure it out. The good news is the Porsche since the patch is running better no matter the brake balance so have fun with yours now that you are better as well.

Atak Kat
04-03-2018, 08:42
That's fine Atak Kat, run whatever is comfortable for you to run and makes you happy.:D The only thing is when you bring it up people are going to try and help you figure out why the brake balance is different for you, not trying to annoy you, just trying to figure it out. The good news is the Porsche since the patch is running better no matter the brake balance so have fun with yours now that you are better as well.

All good. Maybe my writing was a bit too short and quick. Definitely not annoyed. Not at all.
Very appreciative for the help and comments. Thankful that people take the time to write their ideas and views.
My confusion now is that I was kinda thinking that there would be a few 'me too' replies to my observation on the bb. But, so far not, and now I'm thinking that I am still missing something..... Yes, it seems to work for me, but if I'm the only one, then I'm likely missing something else....

blinkngone
04-03-2018, 11:38
So today I tried the Renault. First point, shame on me for not trying other cars more often. This thing is fantastic, and I am much faster (at least in time trial) with the Renault. I did a 1:45.8 around Monza today. I was shocked. I've basically accepted that I'm usually around 1:50 on that track, and if I dip into 1:49s I got lucky. So to see these times, was a bit of a shock and I'm definitely going to to use this car more often now. We'll see how I do in some races. Not sure where that is in the leaderboard (cuz it's impossible to tell on PS4 without scrolling through 50 pages), but that's at least 3-4 whole seconds faster than I can do in the Porsche.

Brake balance I found much the same though. Around 51:49 was the best to stop the front lockups and get good braking results.

I think I can still find another 0.3-0.6 seconds if I spend a bit more time in the setup. I'm finding that the left rear is bottoming out in the higher speed corners so I need to mess around a bit with the suspension rates and hopefully can get a bit more time.

I found that Parabolica is quite tricky though. The rear of the car wants to kick out right at the apex under speed, so I have to be a bit ginger on the gas going through there to avoid a spin. All the other corners are good, but Parabolica is tricky.

Hi Atak Kat, I am glad you tried it out and are enjoying it! I was hoping it would be a better car for you. Did you run the GT3 version?

rich1e I
04-03-2018, 11:49
I think he tried the trophy car. It's lighter and has more HP.

Atak Kat
04-03-2018, 12:37
Hi Atak Kat, I am glad you tried it out and are enjoying it! I was hoping it would be a better car for you. Did you run the GT3 version?

You guys are faster than me. I deleted the post a few minutes after posting it because of my stupidity. Yes I had the trophy car. Not GT3 version. Stupid me.

The GT3 version is not quite the same story.... I do like the car as well, but I'm back in the low 1:50s and high 1:49s which is about normal for me in the other cars. :)
I really like the 7 speed though. Have to mess around in some corners because I might be downshifting by habit, when maybe better not to.

BB I found the same though. Around 51:49 is where I seem to get the stopping power without front lockups.

blinkngone
04-03-2018, 12:59
You guys are faster than me. I deleted the post a few minutes after posting it because of my stupidity. Yes I had the trophy car. Not GT3 version. Stupid me.

The GT3 version is not quite the same story.... I do like the car as well, but I'm back in the low 1:50s and high 1:49s which is about normal for me in the other cars. :)
I really like the 7 speed though. Have to mess around in some corners because I might be downshifting by habit, when maybe better not to.

BB I found the same though. Around 51:49 is where I seem to get the stopping power without front lockups.

That was still a great time, 11th on the PC TT Leaderboard is a 1:45.935 with that car. When I ran the RS01 GT3 back in December I was running 60/40 and in general most people are running more forward brake balance with this car than the Porsche so I wanted to see if your rearward balance preference would continue and it has. The Trophy car is only about 3 seconds faster than the GT3 at Monza so with your previous run at 1:45.8 I can't see why you couldn't be in the 1:48's with the GT3 version with a little practice.;)

yii_
05-03-2018, 20:14

I had the same issues as mentioned here, I was constantly locking up the front brakes and never had the same stopping power as other cars.
Switched the brake balance to 48/52 f/r and now it's way better.