PDA

View Full Version : Sense of speed.

Human_bean
21-02-2018, 01:37
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they're hardly moving in this game? I can't quite put my finger on it but every other car game on a flat screen feels like you're going twice as fast when compared to Project Cars 2. So my question is does this bother anyone else and for the people who are playing on VR, does it fix it?

kevin kirk
21-02-2018, 04:17
sense of speed depends on what FOV setting you are using.

Azure Flare
21-02-2018, 04:23

Proper FOV > "sense of speed"

Raklodder
21-02-2018, 12:53
Is there any way of increasing the FOV in VR or am I limited by hardware?

zedeeyen
21-02-2018, 16:49
Is there any way of increasing the FOV in VR or am I limited by hardware?

You shouldn't need to alter the FoV in VR.

If it seems slow to you, that just indicates that you got used to the wrong FoV in 2D. Give it some time.

AbeWoz
21-02-2018, 16:50
watch EmptyBox's latest FOV video.

Raklodder
21-02-2018, 18:41
You shouldn't need to alter the FoV in VR. If it seems slow to you, that just indicates that you got used to the wrong FoV in 2D. Give it some time.
I get the feeling sometimes that I'm moving faster than it looks and the closer I seem to get to 300 kph the slower it gets.

Ofnir4
21-02-2018, 18:50
That is mainly a PC or console wheel user thing. Driving with a pad on console, FOV is overrated. I use 90 because it has been standard for a long time, giving consistency between games/sim and because I have no issue saying to myself "I'm driving for that guy in the car, I'm not that guy in the car, don't need to see 20 degrees because it's not my reality."

And since my thumbstick movement isn't correlated to anything real (because of the sensitivities, scaling and deadzones you can adjust), why would my field of view ?

But if you have a wheel, then you would greatly benefit from a true FOV setting.

@Raklodder : Isn't there a world scaling for VR ? Or is it something entirely different ?

TorTorden
21-02-2018, 20:16
FOV settings in VR are fixed.

World scale is completely different and more tied into stereoscopic, ipd etc.
Basically to be adjusted when in game objects look to small or to large.

The 'narrow' fov in vr sets does impact a little. But practically all other car games play with FOV on the fly to increase the 'sense of speed'. Truth is the end result is as far from genuine as you can get and has more akin to a bad mushroom trip than driving at 250kph.
This is not done in vr at all since its both nothing near realistic, and would make anyone violently sick.

Fact of the matter is. in vr driving at 80kph in the game feels exactly like driving in 80kph on the actual road, barring the fact my fov is slightly limited in the rift.

Don't bother with other car games, compare to reality or at least other simulation titles.

SpinnPaget
21-02-2018, 21:47
Interesting timing on this question! I just came across the Field of View video linked above this weekend, and decided to take a look at my settings last night.

(PS4, T80 wheel, projector on a 120 inch screen sitting 8 feet away)

I had my helmet view set at 106, and thought that was good - I was setting decent times against the AI at 79.

Based on the video, I decided to start playing with the settings. After trying a number of them (80, not bad, 60 ugh! 70, not bad) I settled on 75. I couldn't believe the difference! I immediately took a second off my lap time just by having a better sense of where I was / when to brake.

I no longer had to "think" about it, my body just reacted based on how things looked compared to the real world. Much better sense of speed, and MUCH better sense of distance!

tldr: Try Helmet camera and playing with the Field of View (I prefer with the "Show Helmet" option turned off)

Deathbox_2112
21-02-2018, 22:54
I have that problem with a couple of cars. The Corvette GTE and Ferrari Daytona. No matter what I do, they drive in slow motion in cockpit and helmet cam view. Most tother cars are acceptable, but those two really show the slow motion effect. The motion speeds back up in other camera views. Weird......

Azure Flare
21-02-2018, 23:55
That is mainly a PC or console wheel user thing. Driving with a pad on console, FOV is overrated. I use 90 because it has been standard for a long time, giving consistency between games/sim and because I have no issue saying to myself "I'm driving for that guy in the car, I'm not that guy in the car, don't need to see 20 degrees because it's not my reality."

And since my thumbstick movement isn't correlated to anything real (because of the sensitivities, scaling and deadzones you can adjust), why would my field of view ?

But if you have a wheel, then you would greatly benefit from a true FOV setting.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/cdee82a8d299d89629ad5daf27370bd7/tenor.gif?itemid=9743588

Ofnir4
22-02-2018, 00:28
I preferred the john Cena video of your previous attempt, I otherwise note you are taking this whole thing way too personally... Maybe a GTLM broke your heart.

Great contribution to the discussion, maybe see yourself out or get to arguing on why my logic or rhetoric could be wrong, be my guest, we could all come out of here smarter for it. Discussions are made for this.

But I fear you are not quoting me for that reason and I'm not playing any grudge-holding snarky comments exchange online ping pong game with anyone in here, don't care enough for it.

So, Why might I be wrong and what is the best approach to FOV ?

Azure Flare
22-02-2018, 00:59
So, Why might I be wrong and what is the best approach to FOV ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbbxkX7kS_M

Just as AbeWoz suggested earlier.

Ofnir4
22-02-2018, 01:14
Not answering anything there, just putting someone else words in your place. Don't need to watch it now, saw it when it came out.

Not to add the fact that everyone jumped to FOV as the go to answer for sense of speed (the sim community has a hard on for FOV vs speed sensation), but no one mentions on screen effects such as motion blur, low camera angles, sounds. It's not all about shrinking or widening the world view to get speed.

Without quoting the original post, he says compared to other car games and on consoles PC2 has a narrower field of view (by default 60 if I recall correctly) than the other games (forza is at 90 I believe), but unless he has the biggest TV in the world or sits so close to it he is going to get burned, his calculated FOV is going to be narrower than default and by Emptybox's argument of side objects, going to have worse sense of speed than before.

Azure Flare
22-02-2018, 01:26
Not answering anything there, just putting someone else words in your place. Don't need to watch it now, saw it when it came out.

Not to add the fact that everyone jumped to FOV as the go to answer for sense of speed (the sim community has a hard on for FOV vs speed sensation), but no one mentions on screen effects such as motion blur, camera angles, sounds. It's not all about shrinking the world view to get speed.

This is simracing. We're not here to feel like we're going 200 MPH all the time. We're trying to achieve the same view as if we were sitting in the real car. And does it really matter if it's not my words if the information is going to be the same?

Ofnir4
22-02-2018, 01:46
And does it really matter if it's not my words if the information is going to be the same?

Very much so, because the information the EB lays out is specifically to explain to a group of people how FOV works and why it's good for you then he adds the sense of speed "cheat" that some use at the very end, barely.

For all we know, the first post could be asking about rendering the sense of speed on screen via effects, making the information meaningless, irrelevant to answer the question, it could be out of context and misinterpreted if he tried to answer his question with that.
Empty box insn't reading the forums, you are, he asked his question and answered it, you are answering a different question and trying to fit a square into a star shaped hole.

Azure Flare
22-02-2018, 02:28
you are answering a different question and trying to fit a square into a star shaped hole.

You said that a proper FOV isn't worth it, and I felt someone should address it. Didn't you also say something about not wanting play online ping-pong?

Human_bean
22-02-2018, 07:12

Im using the same FOV on Assetto, Rfactor2, Raceroom and Project Cars 2.

Ofnir4
22-02-2018, 07:39
Oh, what a surprise, it's not about FOV ! :rolleyes:

You could look into your world movement and G-force sliders, be mindful of the values (higher number means less movement).
Or bump up some effects sounds.

UkHardcore23
22-02-2018, 09:33
Proper FOV > "sense of speed"

Going by the FOV calculators online my correct FOV is 64 but at 64 50mph feels like im just about to stop dead it's extremely slow, Im finding for any sense of speed im having to go around 75-85+and im actually quickeer this way than having the correct FOV.

RoccoTTS
22-02-2018, 10:02
Going by the FOV calculators online my correct FOV is 64 but at 64 50mph feels like im just about to stop dead it's extremely slow, Im finding for any sense of speed im having to go around 75-85+and im actually quickeer this way than having the correct FOV.

Well, 50mph in real life is extremely slow. In the past i drove a few times at the German autobahn at 200 km/u for a few hours and when you have to go back 70 km/u on the local roads here in Belgium, it just feels like you are standing still.

Sankyo
22-02-2018, 10:15
Don't forget that race tracks are very wide, which reduces the sense of speed significantly, and with few close-by objects that serve as a reference for how fast you go.

UkHardcore23
22-02-2018, 10:15
Well, 50mph in real life is extremely slow. In the past i drove a few times at the German autobahn at 200 km/u for a few hours and when you have to go back 70 km/u on the local roads here in Belgium, it just feels like you are standing still.

Take a sharp corner at 50mph in real life it does not feel slow, Take a sharp corner in PCARS with correct FOV in 50mph it feels like your stopping dead. I'd imagine if you have triple monitors and you can run a correct high FOV that 50mph corner feels much more realistic. Single screen though imo the game feels to slow.

IJerichoI
22-02-2018, 10:16
Also remember that race tracks are very wide roads, 50 MPH there will always feel different than 50 MPH on a country road.

You never get THAT sense of speed if you only use a single monitor as a part of the sense of speed is perceived through the periphal vision. Also you have the G-Forces on your head wich make the speed impression.

The only thing that helps is a bigger monitor, and/or less distance to it.

Otherwise you'd just have to raise the FOV to get more of the "surroundings", but this will get you to somehow distort the whole scene.

I use FOV 53 with a 37" TV 83 cm away, and it is great, I have no problem judging distances or speed.

At the end of the day it comes down to how you feel comfortable.