PDA

View Full Version : What changes can i make to get an even temprature across the tyres?

dan2312
21-02-2018, 14:13
Im racing in the Ferrari 488 Gt3 in the wet on practice at redbull ring,

Im using wet tyres, after doing several laps i notice on telemetry that the inside of my tyre (nearest to car body) its higher temps, for front and back,

so to counter this i decreased the camber from 3.5 to 2.0 at the front and 2.8 to 1.7 the back which helped slightly but not enough, is there any other changes i could make to counter this?

the front right side of the car tyre temps for example are 110 94 94. @ 19 Psi

This is after several laps, i can do screen shots if requested for an example.

Im just looking for other ways to force the car to use more of the tyre so i could have better grip, if at all possible, the car feels pinned to the ground already, but if there is scope for improvement, i wanna use it.

VelvetTorpedo
21-02-2018, 14:15
You want the inside to be slightly higher temp than the outside, 5-10 degrees if I'm not wrong (I could be). 110/94/94 sounds like the tire needs a little more pressure to bring the middle to let's say around 110/105/100 (just as an example).

Hopefully one of the actual tuning guru's can chime in and tell me if what I've learned so far is wrong haha.

dan2312
21-02-2018, 17:39
I used to play indy 500 years ago on my old 286 pc, and i remember the manual saying to decrease the camber to get an even tyre wear, it did also mention tyre pressures, but under inflated tyres would only heat the inner and outer wall of the tyres, and over inflation would just heat the centre.

Thats all i remember. hehe

Jussi Karjalainen
21-02-2018, 19:14
You want the inside to be slightly higher temp than the outside, 5-10 degrees if I'm not wrong (I could be). 110/94/94 sounds like the tire needs a little more pressure to bring the middle to let's say around 110/105/100 (just as an example).

Hopefully one of the actual tuning guru's can chime in and tell me if what I've learned so far is wrong haha.That's a pretty good guideline, you'd usually want at least 5 C difference between the inside and the outside. Around 15 C (like your 110->94 example) might be pushing it a bit, though Michelin's instructions for Porsche Supercup cars did once recommend 20 C temperature delta...

The main adjustments for tyre temperature spread are camber (literally angling the tyre) and tyre pressure (making sure that the change from inside to outside is smooth, indeed like 110-105-100 and not 110-100-100). How much camber you need will depend on the car's suspension (dynamic camber, i.e. how the camber changes when the tyre moves up and down, on some cars it changes a lot and you don't need much static camber, on others it changes very little and you need more static camber) and to some extent your driving style.

VelvetTorpedo
21-02-2018, 19:32
I've found that pressure is a little more important than temperatures also. For GT3 you want the tire to be about 26 PSI HOT pressure (1.8 BAR). when the hot pressure is correct, the tire shape provides the best contact patch and the car really hooks up. If that 19psi is your hot pressure you can definitely afford to pump it up more.

Jussi Karjalainen
21-02-2018, 21:29
Pressure is very important, and probably more important than hitting an exact temperature gradient over the tyre surface. Though overall tyre temps can dramatically affect grip, adding or subtracting seconds from your lap time. =)

RJay
21-02-2018, 22:22
and this is the big shame about sims, you can not see the tire surface after a few laps.
Last time I was at Spa a friend measured the temps on my tire, and my outside tire was like 15 degrees cooler than my inside, but the wear pattern was totally even.

I like running higher camber because I focus more on corner entry and mid corner than the brake zone, and I do put the full load that I can on that tire even with higher camber (I've seen outside shots, mid corner my loaded tire is at most half a degree negative). So personally I wouldn't do anything since that's the temperature pattern that comes with my preferred setups :) But that's me. I tried running lower camber (I usually have -3.5 - 3.7 at the front) but it just slows me down because it doesn't allow me to carry the same speed into the corner the way my car is set up and the way I drive.

Jussi Karjalainen
22-02-2018, 02:27
and this is the big shame about sims, you can not see the tire surface after a few laps.
Last time I was at Spa a friend measured the temps on my tire, and my outside tire was like 15 degrees cooler than my inside, but the wear pattern was totally even.

I like running higher camber because I focus more on corner entry and mid corner than the brake zone, and I do put the full load that I can on that tire even with higher camber (I've seen outside shots, mid corner my loaded tire is at most half a degree negative). So personally I wouldn't do anything since that's the temperature pattern that comes with my preferred setups :) But that's me. I tried running lower camber (I usually have -3.5 - 3.7 at the front) but it just slows me down because it doesn't allow me to carry the same speed into the corner the way my car is set up and the way I drive.Makes me happy reading this, this kind of stuff where people are finding their own ways of tuning due to their different approaches to driving is exactly what I wanted to see. =)

drathuu
22-02-2018, 07:57
Also to consider, with negative camber the inside of your tyre is always touch the road.. the outside isnt.. (hence less friction and cooler).. as you turn and weight shifts over your car, suspension compression, body roll will load up the outside tyres putting all the tyre in contact with the road.

Hence the insides are generally hotter.. (What you dont want is inside and outside hot (middle cold).. its under inflated.. or middle hot.. outsides cooler (over inflated).

Reducing your camber will help, however then you may find you are getting positive camber in corners and less grip (Unless you stiffen your suspension to offset).

RJay
22-02-2018, 20:56
Makes me happy reading this, this kind of stuff where people are finding their own ways of tuning due to their different approaches to driving is exactly what I wanted to see. =)

No seriously, everybody, and I mean literally everybody, prefers a different setup. That's why on those Pro race cars the setup is always a midway between what the drivers want, a compromise they can all deal with in the fastest way.
Because if you set the car up for say... Laurens Vanthoor, but then Jeroen Bleekemolen has to get in and match his laptimes, you might not get the ace performance you expect. (Although Jeroen and Laurens are enough of a pro to adapt, but it would be less desirable than the midway setup between Laurens and Jeroen)