PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 918 Spyder Energy Recuperation - basically non existent

demand34
19-02-2018, 13:20
Hello.

Since the very beginning there's been an issue with the Porche 918 hypercar not recharging the kers, or the electric engine not sure what it is (the blue bar bellow the speedometer). It depletes completely from beginning to end, when it should recharge slowly as long as you don't floor the throttle.

After 4.0, LaFerrari suffers from the same problem. So that makes for two literally useless Road A cars when it comes to compete against others in same category. It's been four updates already without fixing the Porche making the car useless against others, and now LaFerrari is two

Please deal with this issue in the next patch.

Zaskarspants
19-02-2018, 14:11
Hello.

Since the very beginning there's been an issue with the Porche 918 hypercar not recharging the kers, or the electric engine not sure what it is (the blue bar bellow the speedometer). It depletes completely from beginning to end, when it should recharge slowly as long as you don't floor the throttle.

After 4.0, LaFerrari suffers from the same problem. So that makes for two literally useless Road A cars when it comes to compete against others in same category. It's been four updates already without fixing the Porche making the car useless against others, and now LaFerrari is two

Please deal with this issue in the next patch.

IIRC these cars recharge from braking. They are only mild hybrids with small battery packs designed only for short term boosts.

demand34
19-02-2018, 14:35
Neither when braking nor when flooring it. It won't recharge.

It's been day 1 bug affecting, first the Porche Hypercar, and now the LaFerrari too in 4.0.

That's makes for two useless cars in Road A now.

Mahjik
19-02-2018, 16:21
They recharge by going slow, coasting and/or not moving....

demand34
19-02-2018, 17:42
It doesn't recharge no matter what you do.

It is a day one issue with the Porche, and now with LaFerrari after 4.0.

LaFerrari before the last update recharged slowly and perfectly fine as long as you didn't floor it and when braking, and now has the same problem as the Porche. It won't recharge but just deplete completely.

Please don't ignore or dismiss this issue. It's been four patches already with the Porche being useless, and now there's two of them in same category.

IJerichoI
22-02-2018, 10:03
Hi, just one question: which mode is used in the game? Because I find that there is basically no energy recuperation going on with this one, leading to a drained battery even after 5 laps on a normal race track, or 3/4 of Azure Coast, where you "coast" quite a bit. This makes this car not the weapon of choice for me. In online races you are better off with the Ferrari or the P1, as they won't drain that fast.

What I found was this article by Porsche. It claims the different modes, but the "race hybrid" would be the most sensible for us. Are there any details on this? Maybe the recuperation in this mode is very low, I don't know the real figures.

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=787

...For fast laps: "Race Hybrid"

"Race Hybrid" is the mode for maximum performance and an especially sporty driving style. The combustion engine is chiefly used under high load, and charges the battery when the driver is not utilizing its maximum output. Again, the electric motors provide additional support in the form of boosting. Furthermore, the gear-shifting program of the PDK is set up for even sportier driving. The electric motors are used up to the maximum power output limit to deliver the best possible performance for the race track. In this mode, the battery charge state is not kept constant, rather it fluctuates over the entire charge range. In contrast to Sport Hybrid mode, the electric motors run at their maximum power output limit for a short time for better boosting. This increased output is balanced by the combustion engine charging the battery more intensively. Electric power is thus available even with several very fast laps...

MrA2theK
22-02-2018, 11:49
Well I can confirm the P1 GTR is also affected by this issue, 2/3 laps and the KERS is dead.
https://youtu.be/4lgysp_W3Hs

Pigmachine
22-02-2018, 12:22
I took that up during testing, when the official and Public Projects Cars website stated that it were locked in full race mode, and also had a 'push to pass' button ((The Hot lap Button) that it didn't have in-game).

I were quite obsessed with the 918 for a while, just since it lost almost 1/3 of it's power after ~5 minutes, trying to get the most out of it the lap(s) you actually had any advantage (still not enough against a P1) I really wish that it would be possible to restrict usage of the electric power until you really need it.

Actually I never beat my 918 TT time on Brands Hatch GP, with no assists, with any other of the 'trinity'. Mainly since the P1 touched the outside of the track in Stirling's, and didn't get back into speed fast enough, but it's KERS made it like a rocket. The Ferrari had too lively movement of the steering wheel to get used to, but felt light, good and mainly very alive. (another reason I don't enjoy driving the 488 is the huge inputs the wheel have to make)

If I've given the other cars as many hours testing, I guess at least the P1 would've beaten it, but they were all close to the same time, the 918 were the only one that ran out of juice after 2-3 laps

But even during their own record run on Nords, they ran out of juice before the last long straight, and I guess quite a bit of cursing were done inside that helmet for the full straight ;)

demand34
22-02-2018, 15:33
^You're not going anywhere fast anymore when kers depletes after a couple of laps with the 918 and LaFerrari. These two cars need it to be fixed if you want to be competitive against the McLaren 720 and of course the P1, which is insanely fast on the Nords straight when the DRS kicks in at 280Km/h. You are also slower at cornering of course, regardless it gives you the opposite feeling.

You have to learn to drive the Porche with the electric engine working at all times. It is not that hard and all about the throttle. Well, it ain't as easy as the LaFerrari sharing the same system, but the moment you control the Porche you can't just go back.

Use, well in most road cars not just the Porche, the unstable setup paired with Pirelly softs, stiffer suspensions plus the car as down height as possible (and weak engine braking setting) to bias the car towards racing and score fast laps, and OEM setups with mediums or hards and softer springs to go sideways, even with the Porche918.

Let's hope the finally fix the Porche in 5.0, and LaFerrari is back to it too.

TheLittleAcura
12-03-2018, 21:15
Another issue I outlined in another thread (page 11 of General Discussion, "918 and NSX unable to drive on electric power alone") is that electric motor does not assist acceleration until the engine is running and above idle speed. Therefore, the instant 0-rpm torque of such a hybrid setup is defeated, as well as the ability to use the battery as a "limp-home assist" if you run out of gas or the engine dies, and the P1 worked that way and let you run on the battery if you wanted to (by shutting the engine off and the turning the ignition back on) before pCARS 2 came out. pCARS 2 removed that.

1x8GB DDR3 CPU: i3-4130 GPU:MSI AERO ITX GT 1030 Overclocker Edition
Stable OC to +155 core + 147 memory MOBO: OEM HP mobo PSU: 450W OEM Mixed settings/no post effects 1080p 40-60 FPS

demand34
03-04-2018, 11:37
Any update on this?, has It been fixed for the next patch?

IJerichoI
03-04-2018, 14:19
Here you go:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61833-Porsche-918-no-4-wheel-drive&p=1488835&viewfull=1#post1488835

demand34
01-05-2018, 06:33
Ok. It seems to be realistic that the Porche 918 can't recharge kers as fast as It would be desirable. However, could we change this in the next patch in order to make cars like this one, LaFerrari (this one recharged just as fast as the P1 before 4.0, so what happened?) competitive in their own class?

I mean, P1 continues to recharge kers pretty nicely when compared to the rest, not to mention it's insanely fast on straights thanks to the DRS. Also, the 720 or Huayra not using hybrid systems and staying competitive for the entire race further makes the 918 and LaFerrari choices totally pointless once they run out of kers in a few laps.

It would be nice if we at least could have the LaFerrari and Spyder kers to last just as much as P1 kers does. Balance in this class is simply non-existent thanks to the absolute superiority of the P1 in all areas, but if you gave proper lasting kers to these two cars then everything would be ok.

McLaren GTR (track day car) also had proper lasting kers like the P1 before 4.0. Not anymore. why?