PDA

View Full Version : Proper POV Setup

khems17
22-02-2018, 13:15
Hey all,

I've been looking for the proper way to set up POV. I've read it's all personal preference, but I feel like it's more than that.

Any tips are appreciated!

UkHardcore23
22-02-2018, 13:30
http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de/

Work out your distance to your monitor from your eyes and bingo...

khems17
22-02-2018, 13:34
Ive already got my FOV set up.
If I'm not mistaken POV is different. Could also be referred to seat position(?)

Zaskarspants
22-02-2018, 13:39
I set my seat position so the clocks look about the right size. Others may have different goals, like to see the side mirrors.

This is with correct fov.

edit - seat tilt should be used to adjust the horizon so that your gaze is horizontal when aligned with the horizon.

AbeWoz
22-02-2018, 13:46
I usually set me seat position as far back as possible before the halo of the race seat comes into my peripheral vision under acceleration. and then move it forward a few clicks (modern race cars cars mostly). In some cars that looks odd, so I will also consider what I see in my real world car. (assuming correct FOV)

Gav88888
22-02-2018, 14:37
Right now I have mine setup so the dials on the dash fit inside the rim of my wheel by moving the seat up/down/forward but rarely backwards. Then I tweak it so the dash doesn't look too far away making it feel like a people carrier from the 90's :)

UkHardcore23
22-02-2018, 14:55
Ive already got my FOV set up.
If I'm not mistaken POV is different. Could also be referred to seat position(?)

I didnt realise there was a correct seating position as well, I've always went pretty close to the dash so that i can see the motec/dials in view and my own steering wheel just before the screen. I dont understand having the seat way back as if your a 6ft 10 driver i like to get as close to as you would in real life.

Interested in this POV though to see what others say.

khems17
22-02-2018, 23:36
Thanks for the feedback all!

I might have a bit of a problem "fitting" the dials into my steering wheel due to the way my monitor sits and its not adjustable.

I'll try to fiddle with it sometime this weekend and let you all know what I end up preferring.

kingsti
23-02-2018, 01:36
Interesting question, I was also wondering about this a couple of weeks ago and think I've found a good approach.
Like Abwoz, I move the seat position as far back as I can then forward a few clicks. Next I use the seat up and down so that I get a clear/comfortable view through the windows. After that I use the angle tilt up/down to adjust the whole screen so that I can see the dials through the wheels (G27). You may then need slight adjustment of seat forward/up/down to get the dials to fit perfectly through the steering wheel. This is quite a quick and predictable process once you've done it with a few cars.

Shame you can't adjust it while the game is paused so for a new car, I adjust it at start of race then restart the race.

Zenzic
23-02-2018, 08:51
For GT3 cars I do this: angle up/down until the line between my eyes and the horizon is level, then seat up/down until I'm looking more or less through the vertical middle of the transparent part of the windscreen, then forward/backward until the headrest of my seat is just out of view.

davidt33
23-02-2018, 09:29
Interesting post. I must investigate this further since I'm still trying to find one that works best in most scenarios. Most I've done so far in cockpit view is move the seat backwards or forwards but I often wished I could raise my level of vision a bit more to see a bit less of the bonnet and more of the track. Didn't know you can also do that or may have missed it.
The thing is too I think I've run out of available buttons on the wheel in which to assign more. I've assigned the rocker +/- for moving seat forwards/backwards and all other remaining buttons are already configured for other essential things.

Oomph
23-02-2018, 10:28
I find that I need to raise the seating position in most sedans, I'm 6.1ft, and with my head almost touching the roof line, I feel the need to be the same in game, I need to be able to see part of the bonnet in a real car and do the same in game, far enough back to fit the whole windscreen in if possible, and horizon set to half way up on my screen. , having said that, I always find myself making slight adjustments .

leeroy98
23-02-2018, 11:08
@davidt33 do you have spare keyboard laying about been a life saver since I started using one so many keys that need maping in this game

AbeWoz
23-02-2018, 11:17
Interesting post. I must investigate this further since I'm still trying to find one that works best in most scenarios. Most I've done so far in cockpit view is move the seat backwards or forwards but I often wished I could raise my level of vision a bit more to see a bit less of the bonnet and more of the track. Didn't know you can also do that or may have missed it.
The thing is too I think I've run out of available buttons on the wheel in which to assign more. I've assigned the rocker +/- for moving seat forwards/backwards and all other remaining buttons are already configured for other essential things.

not sure how it is on PS4, but when i played PC1 on my xbox i had the seat controls assigned to my controller and had my wheel for everything else. but as leeroy said, get a USB keyboard and it will make your life super easy.

xtro
23-02-2018, 12:47
I found that by reducing the World movement to 0 it helps with the Helmet cam FOV -- which i have set at 62 -- if feels less enclosed behind the wheel but you have to adjust to it not to get motion sickness. I set it basically so that the wheel on screen roughly matches the size of my actual wheel.. so in the end, I only see the top part of the wheel on screen.

davidt33
24-02-2018, 09:57
@davidt33 do you have spare keyboard laying about been a life saver since I started using one so many keys that need maping in this game
I may have a spare keyboard. Think I have a USB one and also a spare bluetooth wireless Mac/Apple one. How do you connect it for use in-game with a wheel though? I'm not on PC for the game but PS4 console. My wheel is a Logitech G29. Is it that you connect it to the wheel?

Before seeing the responses I just came back to say thanks once again to the OP and various commentators on the thread. Yesterday I sought to see if I could find a way to adjust the seat higher and lower. Remember I had already mapped buttons for forwards and backwards right? That was the Rocker +/-. Since all other buttons were taken up I decided to try the red rotating wheel knob at the bottom right hand side of the G29. That was the one adjustment thingy I had not assigned as yet. I was able to assign rotate left for lowering seat and rotate right for raising. This now completed being able to adjust seat forward/backward and now lower/higher and it made all the difference. I now have the vision I wanted to have. Raising the seat higher allowed me to see a bit more of the road directly in front of the bonnet (with a bit of the bonnet showing) instead of the lower flat cockpit view I had before that was making it a bit difficult to better gauge the track.
Makes a helluva difference. Now I don't have to tip-toe on approaching corners and stuff. Cheers all.

AbeWoz
24-02-2018, 12:53
USB keyboard plugs right into the PS4

davidt33
24-02-2018, 13:42
USB keyboard plugs right into the PS4
Oh I see. The wheel is a distance away from the PS4 but I guess I can use a USB extension I have. And I have a USB 3.0 port expansion connected to the PS4 so available ports won't be a problem either.
One more thing for clarification. Does any of the similar buttons on the wheel and the keyboard conflict if used on one or the other or do they work independently? Say for example, I map the directional arrow buttons (Up/Down/left/right) for whatever on the wheel. If I map the similar directional buttons on the USB keyboard will it conflict as already in use or not?

Atak Kat
24-02-2018, 13:45
Does any of the similar buttons on the wheel and the keyboard conflict if used on one or the other or do they work independently? Say for example, I map the directional arrow buttons (Up/Down/left/right) for whatever on the wheel. If I map the similar directional buttons on the USB keyboard will it conflict as already in use or not?

I don't think you can do that. Buttons on the wheel (even the directional pad) are seen as buttons, not keys. So I don't think there is even the possibility to double map anything. Might be wrong on that though....

davidt33
24-02-2018, 13:54
I don't think you can do that. Buttons on the wheel (even the directional pad) are seen as buttons, not keys. So I don't think there is even the possibility to double map anything. Might be wrong on that though....
Thanks. Would be useful if anyone can verify.

khems17
03-03-2018, 17:37
After messing with the POV settings for a couple of weeks in different cars, I have come to find that moving back until the camera is blocked, then moving the seat a couple clicks forward has given me a decent POV. Some cars I have needed to move the seat up/down and angle the camera a bit, however it seems moving the seat back does the trick for the most part. This seems to be a life saver, considering I have a smaller monitor, therefore a fairly low FOV.

Thanks for all the feedback all!

@davidt33 and @atak kat, I did try mapping buttons on my controller instead of the wheel, but it didnt work. I just plugged in a keyboard and used those directional buttons to adjust the POV.

davidt33
03-03-2018, 19:53
After messing with the POV settings for a couple of weeks in different cars, I have come to find that moving back until the camera is blocked, then moving the seat a couple clicks forward has given me a decent POV. Some cars I have needed to move the seat up/down and angle the camera a bit, however it seems moving the seat back does the trick for the most part. This seems to be a life saver, considering I have a smaller monitor, therefore a fairly low FOV.

Thanks for all the feedback all!

@davidt33 and @atak kat, I did try mapping buttons on my controller instead of the wheel, but it didnt work. I just plugged in a keyboard and used those directional buttons to adjust the POV.
i've discovered something even better regarding POV/ FOV whereby simply inputting standard settings and enabling the option "Field Of View Sensitivity" in "Options: Camera" and including certain parameters, dynamically adjusts according to speed slow to fast. It's referred to as Dynamic FOV. I've tried it and love it. No need to fiddle with adjusting seat anymore. Here are two links regarding it that I've kept and implemented:

Project CARS 2 - Field-of-View, Part 2 - Examples of Static and Dynamic FOV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVAJ5EvRM-g

Project CARS 2 | MY UPDATED G29 FFB & FOV SETTINGS | UPDATE 4.01 | PS4 PRO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_D3LNbdV-0

Keena
03-03-2018, 20:12
Very useful David33- that actually helped clarify things nicely for me. In the Examples of Static and Dynamic FOV link, theres a comment about the minimum and maximum that should be required reading. Thanks for the share :)

davidt33
03-03-2018, 20:28
Very useful David33- that actually helped clarify things nicely for me. In the Examples of Static and Dynamic FOV link, theres a comment about the minimum and maximum that should be required reading. Thanks for the share :)
Yup. Very useful indeed. So glad I found it.