PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure out how to spend $2000+

Atak Kat
23-02-2018, 18:27
Ok, so it's theoretical. The amount is not decided, and can also be flexible to a degree. I'm open to the possibility that I don't really need to spend anything. I'm also aware that it's really my decision, but I'm interested what other people would do. (I'm in Europe, I wrote $ but consider the same for Euro)

I currently use:
PS4Pro
T300RS, including T3PApro, TH8A shifter, and also the 599 extra rim.
Playseat Evolution
46" Samsung Television (not 4K)

I am under this impression that I need to upgrade... something. But I just cannot figure out what. Or, if it's really worth it or not. I'm interested in your opinions. Some options I'm bouncing around:
- move to a high end PC, keep my other stuff. Maybe also VR then? (but in that case likely the budget is already blown)
- just stay with PS4, but change to Fanatec stuff, and maybe a different rig
- of course, I'd like to convince myself just to do it all. But when you add it up, it's a pretty big spend that I cannot justify all at once. So likely better to make one step now, and then maybe another step in a year or so?

Honestly, I'm not unhappy with what I have, and I consider myself quite fortunate. But sometimes, when you can, you need to treat yourself to the things you know you will enjoy. Life is short.

Thanks for your ideas.

AbeWoz
23-02-2018, 18:38
PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC PC

I moved from console to PC and it was the best thing i've ever done.

Konan
23-02-2018, 18:43
Stay with PS4...give the cash to me...:p

jimortality
23-02-2018, 18:53
I've been pc gaming for about 6 years but it was always console before that. You don't need anything else wheel wise so I would get a mid to high end pc with vr and you will be set up.

morpwr
23-02-2018, 19:02
Same here moving to pc was the best thing ive done.

AbeWoz
23-02-2018, 19:07
also, spend the most that you can on the PC to have the latest and greatest. Don't skimp out on X Y and Z just to have some leftover money for VR. Not everyone likes VR. Build the PC and use your existing equipment and decide later if you want to run VR or not.

RoccoTTS
23-02-2018, 19:19
Same here, moved from xbox one to pc and it was the best decision i've ever made.

DubAyyys
23-02-2018, 19:21
PC is the way to go. There are so many SIM options on PC that aren't available to you on console. I switched from ps4 pro to the specs in my sig with the oculus rift and got it all taxes included and with an additional 2 year warranty on the PC (no questions asked, replacement type plan) for $2,100USD.

I know we are on the pCars forum but we all know that rFactor2, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista, RaceRoom Experience, GTR2, etc are amazing titles and with the combination of SimRacingSystem.com and Assetto Corsa I get great clean racing with so many daily races to choose from it's purely spoiling me. I also found way more leagues with serious competition on PC than on console.

VelvetTorpedo
23-02-2018, 19:27
my vote is for PC also.

Konan
23-02-2018, 19:47
IMO it all depends on what kind of a gamer you are...
Me personally,i'm an allround guy...i play all sorts of games and find it very pleasant to do so on my couch...
Now if i was only into racing sims i'd say go for it and get yourself the best PC money can buy...

RoccoTTS
23-02-2018, 19:55
Me personally,i'm an allround guy...i play all sorts of games and find it very pleasant to do so on my couch...
Now if i was only into racing sims i'd say go for it and get yourself the best PC money can buy...

I can also sit on my couch while playing games on my pc with an xbox or steam controller. My pc is even smaller than my xbox one.

sas5320
23-02-2018, 20:17
now is exactly the wrong time to build a PC, GPU prices are 2x higher what they should be.

That said, the recent Windows10 update made the nvidia 1060-3gb cards useless for bitcoin mining so prices for those GPUs (only) are returning closer to MSRP.

Mahjik
23-02-2018, 20:19
+1 for a PC. There are more sim options to explore to fully utilize your existing good sim hardware. You can also get SimVibe and some transducers to enhance the experience (well worth it!).

John Hargreaves
23-02-2018, 21:23
Get a good PC and keep the PS4. Best of both worlds :D

poirqc
23-02-2018, 21:26
Same here moving to pc was the best thing ive done.

Don't listen to morpwr! He didn't just move to PC, he actually bought a car worth of gears!** :D

**Listen to morpwr

morpwr
23-02-2018, 21:38
Don't listen to morpwr! He didn't just move to PC, he actually bought a car worth of gears!** :D

**Listen to morpwr

:p lol

Like I said earlier today if you reuse the case its only a upgrade.:rolleyes:

Atak Kat
24-02-2018, 10:33
Very clear guys. Thanks for your suggestions.

breyzipp
24-02-2018, 11:10
Buy an Xbox One X for 500 EUR and go on holidays with the remaining 1500 EUR.

Konan
24-02-2018, 11:16
Buy an Xbox One X for 500 EUR and go on holidays with the remaining 1500 EUR.

It doesn't need to be 2000...i can live with 1500 also...:p

breyzipp
24-02-2018, 11:20

Agreed, same here. Also guys don't forget that games for consoles are (or should be) absolutely tuned to get the most out of your console. The devs know (or should know) what the consoles are capable of since they are all the same. Console gamers don't have to fiddle with all the graphical and performance sliders to get something working that looks great and performs well. Back when I was playing on PC I had no clue which of the 10+ graphical settings actually had the biggest impact on the performance. And online help can't be found since nobody has the exact same PC hardware combination as me (I built my PCs myself). With consoles you know that the console build is always the best possible combination of all these settings to get the best out of your machine.

And then there is also the easiness of use, no Windows updates, no anti virus to worry about, no DRM, no possible driver issues or conflicts you can't solve, etc. If you come home from a stressful day at work and just want to turn on your machine and play some games, I prefer my console.

The only thing gaming related I use my aging gaming PC for these days is to download some card decks for Hearthstone from Hearthpwn. After updating the decks the PC gets turned off and I play Hearthstone on my iPad.

I used to be that guy that always wanted the best performance and visuals from my games on my PC. Now I'm that guy that is more than willing to drop a little bit of that performance and visuals for more ease of use. Maybe that mindset just comes with age and becoming lazy. :)

Konan
24-02-2018, 11:33
In my case,I know i'm an aged lazy couch potatoo....so that must be it...

*now where did i put that DS4?*
*CRAP woman!...you put it away? now i have to get up!*

CSL-Drive
24-02-2018, 13:20
You can buy a day at the track. Driving for real. Maybe a stupid car, wreck it and leave it just there, and walk away real slow. lol

If only racing cars were the cheapest thing on the planet and the safest thing on the planet... That would be so much fun. I would race every single day. Even my coffin would have wheels on it. xD

Human_bean
25-02-2018, 09:04
I used to be a ps4 fanboy and would defend it and get upset with the lack of sim games not being able to run in psvr. I recently decided to upgrade my pc and have ordered an oculus rift. Should be here some time next week. Hope this helps.

Olijke Poffer
25-02-2018, 09:14
+ for console because of the easy to use. Start game and it will run without any problems.

+ for PC because it is more powerfull and easy to upgrade. I bought my rig especially for the Rift.:D

Jetsun
25-02-2018, 09:27
VR alone would be enough for me to go pc, have the feeling that it is adding a whole new dimension to sim racing (3rd one indeed :)) Getting my rift tomorrow, plus a few more days to complete pcars2 steam download, then let's dance and see :).

RoccoTTS
25-02-2018, 09:34
+ for console because of the easy to use. Start game and it will run without any problems.

Well, if i look at the console section of this forum, i'm not sure about this.

I have my pc since December 2016 and played PC2, AC, Automobilista, R3E, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 without having any problem.

This is what you have to do when you wanna play PC2 on pc :
Start up my pc - 10 sec
Start steam - 30 sec
Start PC2 - 30 sec

About maintaining your pc, it's about the same as maintaining your smartphone or laptop, i didn't encounter any problem with updating everything.

cpcdem
25-02-2018, 14:01

I have my pc since December 2016 and played PC2, AC, Automobilista, R3E, Dirt Rally, Dirt 4 without having any problem.

Start up my pc - 10 sec
Start steam - 30 sec
Start PC2 - 30 sec

About maintaining your pc, it's about the same as maintaining your smartphone or laptop, i didn't encounter any problem with updating everything.

And if you just hibernate your PC instead of shutting it down, we are talking about just a few seconds in total!

poirqc
25-02-2018, 14:17
And if you just hibernate your PC instead of shutting it down, we are talking about just a few seconds in total!

i always do that and i rarely need to restart.

Olijke Poffer
25-02-2018, 15:33

Start up my pc - 10 sec
Start steam - 30 sec
Start PC2 - 30 sec

Erros related to pcars has nothing to do with “works always”. Normally you buy a console game, put the disc in and you’re ready to play. No fiddling around with settings etc etc. No popup screen which tells you that your hardware is insufficient.

Of course is my PC also a lot faster than my ps4. :D

RoccoTTS
25-02-2018, 15:44
i always do that and i rarely need to restart.

I never do this, those few minutes you gain isn't worth the risk if something happens when i'm not home. I life in an appartement an when something starts to burn, i'm not the only one who bear the consequences. You can say the changes are very small something like that going to happen but i already had to throw a tv out of the window because it was smoking when i was 5 minutes away.

cpcdem
25-02-2018, 15:50
I never do this, those few minutes you gain isn't worth the risk if something happens when i'm not home. I life in an appartement an when something starts to burn, i'm not the only one who bear the consequences. You can say the changes are very small something like that going to happen but i already had to throw a tv out of the window because it was smoking when i was 5 minutes away.

It's hibernation that we talked about, not sleep mode. In hibernation the current machine state is saved to disk, it's not that memory and other subsystems is still active. So I guess it's not using any more power than a completely shut down PC uses, while still plugged on the power outlet.

RoccoTTS
25-02-2018, 15:50
Erros related to pcars has nothing to do with “works always”. Normally you buy a console game, put the disc in and you’re ready to play. No fiddling around with settings etc etc. No popup screen which tells you that your hardware is insufficient.

Of course is my PC also a lot faster than my ps4. :D

It used to work like that until a couple of years ago. But if you are interested in sim racing games, they are really demanding nowadays. And PC2 is not the only one, just look at the console section on the AC forum and you will see they also have lots of problems.

There are certainly reason to choose a console over a pc but the ease of use is not one of them IMO.

RoccoTTS
25-02-2018, 15:55
It's hibernation that we talked about, not sleep mode. In hibernation the current machine state is saved to disk, it's not that memory and other subsystems is still active. So I guess it's not using any more power than a completely shut down PC uses, while still plugged on the power outlet.

What's the difference between hibernation an sleep mode. I thought they were the same, i'm not a native English speaker.

Mad Al
25-02-2018, 16:00
What's the difference between hibernation an sleep mode. I thought they were the same, i'm not a native English speaker.

Sleep saves everything in a low power state which requires power, hibernation you can turn off at the mains too as everything is saved to disc (unplug from the power)

RoccoTTS
25-02-2018, 16:09
Sleep saves everything in a low power state which requires power, hibernation you can turn off at the mains too as everything is saved to disc (unplug from the power)

Thanks, i just took a visit to google and found some more info. Did not even know of the existence of hibernation.

peterCars
26-02-2018, 01:45
I'd suggest you go AMD everything if only to avoid the MELTDOWN bug - the SPECTRE bug for AMD isnt so risky. and don't believe that they have patched anything in that regard.
good thing about PC is doing a HD image backup before updates (like Acronis True Image or other). and joytokey even though I dont use it yet.

PoL
26-02-2018, 08:31
I am under this impression that I need to upgrade... something.
This is called Compulsive Upgrade Disorder (CUD) it's a real thing. We all suffer. The important thing to know is; You are not alone! And you don't NEED to upgrade, you WANT to upgrade.

- move to a high end PC, keep my other stuff. Maybe also VR then? (but in that case likely the budget is already blown)
- just stay with PS4, but change to Fanatec stuff, and maybe a different rig
- of course, I'd like to convince myself just to do it all. But when you add it up, it's a pretty big spend that I cannot justify all at once. So likely better to make one step now, and then maybe another step in a year or so?
I would revise you options as follows in order of priority:
1. Switch PS → PC, VR, Thrustmaster → Fanatec (PC/VR is the biggest difference and will absorb most of the budget to get a top notch machine (don't be stingy here) so then save up for a new wheel over time (a few months after or whatever) you will notice less 'difference' and eventually speed by switching your wheel first. i.e. 120+FPS in VR vs Wheel is the competition)
Yep that's it. Throw your Playstation in the bi... I mean Welcome to the PC Master Race!

RoccoTTS
26-02-2018, 09:31
This is called Compulsive Upgrade Disorder (CUD) it's a real thing. We all suffer. The important thing to know is; You are not alone! And you don't NEED to upgrade, you WANT to upgrade.

Sounds familiar ;)

Bealdor
26-02-2018, 09:43
Us musicians are suffering from a very similar disorder called G.A.S. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome).
You can never have too many cymbals, snares, hardware, guitars, etc... :biggrin-new:

TorTorden
26-02-2018, 09:52

I an the same.
But use PC exclusively now.
Nothing a 5m HDMI cable and an xbx controller can't sort.
And lately there hasn't been a single game on a console I'm interested in playing that also isn't on pc.
With more options and support higher resolutions and esspecially higher frame rate.

Take an old, Shut my brain off title, like the Batman arkham series. on ps3 that was a a 720p@30fps title.
same game on pc plays in 4k and 60 fps.

Heck they even support my ultrawide desktop monitor resolution properly.
And with an xbx controller natively supported by windows it's an utterly plug and play experience. for most games.

If it's not plug and play. There's always a solution to an issue to be found somewhere.

No. it's not as hassle free as a console.
But then again inhale spent more time waiting on my ps4 to finish updating software than my gaming rig.

Lately the benefits if a console has been decreasing some the ps3, coupled with less resolution, less fps and just a shittier game experience.

I'm fairly hardcore pc guy. so a console has always been an extra but lately I have gotten more enjoyment out of a decent blueray player than any than any console.

But that's my 2 cents.

Gav88888
26-02-2018, 10:09
You have a good setup at the moment, basically the same setup as me and like you I always felt, and still do, that something isn't right and something needs changing, and what I have come to the conclusion that is missing is immersion. Its great watching it on a nice TV but your not in the game.

You need VR.

The only problem, which is the problem I have right now is finding a GTX 1080ti for less than stupid prices... If it wasn't for GPU prices I would be VR gaming already.

Yes you can get a PC with say a 1060 or 1070 and game very well on a TV, but it's not a lot different to what you have now, just better graphics and bigger online lobbies, but VR is a different ball game and the next leap in sim racing that countless people say how good it is.

I am sticking with the cack box for now but when a GPU comes up I will be a happy man!

Blahde
26-02-2018, 19:55
Ok, so it's theoretical. /Snip

Thanks for your ideas.

Make Pcars 3??

You've obviously already doubled the Budget of Pcars 2 . Just think, you could fix the AI and everything :rolleyes: