PDA

View Full Version : Time-Trial Authenticity settings?

Mexel75
24-02-2018, 13:35
Hi,

I wish to test my driving skills against the best leaderboard times in Time-Trial. To get a fair comparison I import the setup used. But does my car handle exactly as the ghost car now?

How about the authenticity settings in the Options->GamePlay menu?
* Anti-Lock Brakes
* Stability Control
* Traction Control
* Opposite Lock Assist

How do I know the ghost car settings on these? Or does Time-Trial mode overrun whatever settings I set on these four?

In other words, does importing the setup means my car handles exactly as the ghost car?

cluck
24-02-2018, 14:46
Hi,

I wish to test my driving skills against the best leaderboard times in Time-Trial. To get a fair comparison I import the setup used. But does my car handle exactly as the ghost car now?

How about the authenticity settings in the Options->GamePlay menu?
* Anti-Lock Brakes
* Stability Control
* Traction Control
* Opposite Lock Assist

How do I know the ghost car settings on these? Or does Time-Trial mode overrun whatever settings I set on these four?

In other words, does importing the setup means my car handles exactly as the ghost car?If you're on PC, you can check the leaderboards here (http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/) , the final column under assists will show you which assists were used if you hover your mouse over it (- is no assists at all, C is autoclutch on, + is one or more of the other assists in use). The only exception to this is that 'Real Assists' will list a time in the leaderboard as having ABS, TC and SC enabled, even if they aren't. Outside of that leaderboard, there is no way of knowing what assists/settings the driver used.

cpcdem
24-02-2018, 14:55
In addition, you do not know if TC/ABS was enabled, if they were set to High or Low setting. And you also do not know the brake bias used, for cars that allow it to be changed while driving.

So, in short, no, just importing the setup usually doesn't necessarily mean it handles exactly as the ghost car!

Chawabax
24-02-2018, 15:52
More.... maybe best laptimes were done with patch 1,2,3... so your car will not handle exactly as the ghost car

Mexel75
24-02-2018, 16:35
Thanks guys

TorTorden
24-02-2018, 19:34
Those assists on the leaderboards are what the player has in settings.
but the time trial mode itself enforces settings to 'authentic' or off even.

Allowing assists would almost nullify the point of time trial.

also to make matters worse, there has been two patches influencing how fast your times can be.
Especially after 1.3 there was a lot of rumble regarding the fact that physics and handling had changed, to a degree that a lot of cars if not all would not be able to match times set during 1.2.

So it is most likely that those times are old and a tad unrealistic.
Many me included has honestly been calling for a board reset for this reason.

cluck
24-02-2018, 22:30
but the time trial mode itself enforces settings to 'authentic' or off even.
Allowing assists would almost nullify the point of time trial.Not true, sorry. You can run whatever assists you like, realistic or not. And to suggest that running assists "nullifies" a time is quite ridiculous. Time trial is there to allow people to set their fastest time in a fixed set of environmental conditions, no more, no less.

Warning - rant follows (don't say you weren't warned)

If somebody is faster than you, with a car/circuit combination, using ABS or traction control - and you think that those real-life things are helping them to beat your time - then there is nothing stopping you using those same things except your own stupid pride. If you aren't as quick as the person that uses ABS then you aren't as quick as them. Full stop. End of. You can try and justify it in your head as much as you like with "oh, well, they only beat me because they used ABS", then you go right ahead. In the meantime, that person is still quicker than you :p. In the right hands, with the right settings, traction control can be an enormous help. In the same breath, it can also be a massive hindrance. Either go out there and be the best or accept that somebody is better than you, assists or not.

Yes, I'm fed up with the snobby attitude that "ABS and/or traction control are only used by people that don't know how to drive" attitude that seems to prevail amongst some people. As a personal example, back in the pCARS1 development days, somebody (who shall remain nameless) challenged me to beat their time around Donington in one of the RUF cars (I think it was the RGT8 road car, though I have forgotten). That person had used a custom setup and I reckoned I could beat it with a default setup, A few minutes later, I duly did so. Guess what, I was accused of "cheating" because I had the temerity to use one of the real car's assists, namely ABS. Apparently, that was the only reason I had beaten the other person's time by 1 whole second :rolleyes:. Yes, let's ignore the fact that the other person had spent hours and hours perfecting their lap and setup, it was purely the use of ABS that made me faster on my 2nd ever lap with the combo :rolleyes:. It was my first encounter with the snobby attitude that can prevail in the sim-racing world. Long story short, if somebody uses assists and they're quicker than you, improve, don't arrogantly assume that the assists made them faster :)

cpcdem
24-02-2018, 23:05
So it is most likely that those times are old and a tad unrealistic.
Many me included has honestly been calling for a board reset for this reason.

Yeah, absolutely agreed. And I honestly cannot understand why that is still not being done, not for all cars, but at least for those that are way slower now. With some cars I am now 3-4 seconds slower than the time I had logged in time trial 5 months ago, what's the point of doing TT with those cars again?

rich1e I
24-02-2018, 23:26
Not true, sorry. You can run whatever assists you like, realistic or not. And to suggest that running assists "nullifies" a time is quite ridiculous. Time trial is there to allow people to set their fastest time in a fixed set of environmental conditions, no more, no less.

Warning - rant follows (don't say you weren't warned)

If somebody is faster than you, with a car/circuit combination, using ABS or traction control - and you think that those real-life things are helping them to beat your time - then there is nothing stopping you using those same things except your own stupid pride. If you aren't as quick as the person that uses ABS then you aren't as quick as them. Full stop. End of. You can try and justify it in your head as much as you like with "oh, well, they only beat me because they used ABS", then you go right ahead. In the meantime, that person is still quicker than you :p. In the right hands, with the right settings, traction control can be an enormous help. In the same breath, it can also be a massive hindrance. Either go out there and be the best or accept that somebody is better than you, assists or not.

Yes, I'm fed up with the snobby attitude that "ABS and/or traction control are only used by people that don't know how to drive" attitude that seems to prevail amongst some people. As a personal example, back in the pCARS1 development days, somebody (who shall remain nameless) challenged me to beat their time around Donington in one of the RUF cars (I think it was the RGT8 road car, though I have forgotten). That person had used a custom setup and I reckoned I could beat it with a default setup, A few minutes later, I duly did so. Guess what, I was accused of "cheating" because I had the temerity to use one of the real car's assists, namely ABS. Apparently, that was the only reason I had beaten the other person's time by 1 whole second :rolleyes:. Yes, let's ignore the fact that the other person had spent hours and hours perfecting their lap and setup, it was purely the use of ABS that made me faster on my 2nd ever lap with the combo :rolleyes:. It was my first encounter with the snobby attitude that can prevail in the sim-racing world. Long story short, if somebody uses assists and they're quicker than you, improve, don't arrogantly assume that the assists made them faster :)

It's not snobbery in my view, it's some kind of ignorance. The same goes on with the cam you use. Nobody sits on the bumper and drives, that's why bumper cam is a no go. Had a discussion with a guy who was interested in taking part in the Daytona race but he would only take part if I force everyone to drive in cockpit cam lol Just drive, jesus crist, if you think someone has an advantage because he has a better sight on the apex, then use it too. You don't need bumper cam to know where the apex is. You can't argue with ignorant people, just let them talk.

blinkngone
25-02-2018, 11:00
Sure, some of it is ignorance but there is also some snobbery as Cluck has noted. I have many physical impairments. I can only drive bumper cam, it's too hard for me to see in cockpit view. I am down to mostly one arm(right) and one leg(right). I am limited to driving Ovals now. My right leg/foot can now only depress the pedal and hold it, if I have to move the pedal on/off I can't manage the pain. I can't manage shifting manually, or even paddle shifting although I recently achieved a breakthrough by being able to activate the KERS on the Caterham SP300R using my left thumb on a button.:D Once upon a time I was in better condition, I could sort of drive a road course, but I was called out in this forum for being a cheater because I couldn't drive a manual so yes, there is snobbery here. I will continue to make TT runs in this game with my limited ability until I am so far gone it is no longer possible because I like it.:cool:

rich1e I
25-02-2018, 14:28
Sure, some of it is ignorance but there is also some snobbery as Cluck has noted. I have many physical impairments. I can only drive bumper cam, it's too hard for me to see in cockpit view. I am down to mostly one arm(right) and one leg(right). I am limited to driving Ovals now. My right leg/foot can now only depress the pedal and hold it, if I have to move the pedal on/off I can't manage the pain. I can't manage shifting manually, or even paddle shifting although I recently achieved a breakthrough by being able to activate the KERS on the Caterham SP300R using my left thumb on a button.:D Once upon a time I was in better condition, I could sort of drive a road course, but I was called out in this forum for being a cheater because I couldn't drive a manual so yes, there is snobbery here. I will continue to make TT runs in this game with my limited ability until I am so far gone it is no longer possible because I like it.:cool:

When I read the word snobbery in relation to PC2 I immediately think of the hardcore simracers from iRacing or rFactor who say PC2 is arcade. The superfast people who really don't use assists beat you regardless what assists you use. If someone drives without any assists because he's thinking elite drivers do that and gets beaten by over a second and afterwards looks for excuses, that's not snobbery and maybe not even ignorance, that's just embarrassing.
I hope you can enjoy your TT runs for as many years as possible, blinkngone. Your patience and the help you give people with setups is really remarkable. :)