PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 1994 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

hmmsk
25-02-2018, 18:34
Hi guys,

since patch 1.4 i've been visiting a few new different cars I hadn't tried before, and came to the Audi GTO, which was brilliant - so I went out to try out all the GTOs, and it wall all well and good until I came to the 1994 Nissan 300ZX Turbo.

Now, driving it is great (as in the handling), but I find it undrivable from the cockpit view. I'm on PS4 w/o VR, so have no idea if in VR it works (would be nice for someone to confirm if it does), but on any track with elevation its impossible to drive. Tried Sonoma, Willow Springs, and that big fat hood just doesn't let you see half the corners and you're turning into. It makes non-blind corners become blind corners. It was one of the few times I had to switch to hood view in a car.

So my question to the community (and SMS if they want to answer) - what's your opinion on this car's cockpit? Is it just poorly designed and doesn't work, does it work in VR, is it 'true to life' (as in real drivers had to deal with this terrible view), or what. I personally find it a shame that its undrivable from this view. Thankfully so far its the only car I find utterly undrivable from the cockpit, hopefully I won't find more.

Cheers!

Sum Dixon-Ear
25-02-2018, 18:49
Have you tried adjusting seat height upwards?

Mahjik
25-02-2018, 18:56
It is true to life... I'm not sure why you would think SMS would purposely create a cockpit that was hard to deal with if it wasn't that way in real life.

Tank621
25-02-2018, 19:00
Yeah, I've driven it in Forza as well and it has the same issue there so I guess that's just what it was like

Though as Sum said, adjust the seat and you should find it quite a bit better

hmmsk
25-02-2018, 19:50
Thanks for the answers so far

Mahjik - I don't see why you read in any of what I wrote that I thought SMS would purposefully create a hard to deal with cockpit. I wrote 'poorly designed' which certainly doesn't equate with 'purposefully create hard to deal with cockpit'. I was rather just hypothesising that for some reason the design didn't come out as crisp as the rest of what i've driven so far. I'm not here to stir things up if that's what you assumed...

Sum/Tank - I've tried to move the seat up, and it doesn't necessarily help tons. Especially in tracks with elevation changes. Default setting makes you have trouble seeing crests and what's beyond them. Moving the seat up helps to some extent, but then unfortunately does the opposite - you see the crests, but going downhill with an uphill right after, you don't see where the turn is right after - esp the case in Sonoma. I don't know if that makes absolute sense - but imagine you're going downhill, with an uphill section right after that with a bend, you won't necessarily see the bend in the uphill section.

I'll play around with it some more, but its not like I didn't try various things out before posting here. Maybe I'll adjust the angle, etc. In any case, sounds like it must have been hell driving that thing in real life.

Anybody has experience with it in VR?

EDIT: I can't post links, but i watched "RACER: 1994 Nissan 300ZX IMSA GTS Visor Cam" on youtube, and that shows the right angle / position of the camera vis-a-vis what is currently set up as default. Its fixable with my own setting, which I will have to play around with

Mahjik
25-02-2018, 21:07
So my question to the community (and SMS if they want to answer) - what's your opinion on this car's cockpit? Is it just poorly designed and doesn't work, does it work in VR, is it 'true to life' (as in real drivers had to deal with this terrible view), or what.

Mahjik - I don't see why you read in any of what I wrote that I thought SMS would purposefully create a hard to deal with cockpit. I wrote 'poorly designed' which certainly doesn't equate with 'purposefully create hard to deal with cockpit'. I was rather just hypothesising that for some reason the design didn't come out as crisp as the rest of what i've driven so far. I'm not here to stir things up if that's what you assumed...

That is what you asked. You asked if it was modeled after the real thing (just in different words).

Azure Flare
26-02-2018, 01:57
EDIT: I can't post links, but i watched "RACER: 1994 Nissan 300ZX IMSA GTS Visor Cam" on youtube, and that shows the right angle / position of the camera vis-a-vis what is currently set up as default. Its fixable with my own setting, which I will have to play around with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rwG0Cs9V2Q

Tar Heel
26-02-2018, 04:39
After a while you develope a sixth sense with the car IMO and learn to cope with the poor vision caused from the raised hood.