PDA

View Full Version : Patch 4.0 ... not possible to save replays??

wings596
25-02-2018, 19:05
Before patch 4.0 saving replays (offline) worked fine: now I get a failure to save error message each time, so cannot save anything?

Is this a known problem? Plenty of disk space available on my One X ...

Hammerpgh
25-02-2018, 19:17
I was able to save a replay yesterday OK but apparently there's an issue with saving multiple replays so have you previously saved one? If so delete it and you should be table to save again. But then the problem starts again next time you want but save one.

wings596
25-02-2018, 21:21
I have some saves from before the patch that I can still watch ... but now (after the patch) cannot save any more ...

I might try deleting the old saves I have and see if it lets me save a new one ... but that does rather the defeat the point of having saves in the first place, if you have to delete one before you can save a new one!

A bit disappointing that a patch introduces a glitch like this (if the patch IS the cause ...): did a tester not try saves after the patch??

OKC Radar Bob
25-02-2018, 21:36
I was able to save the replay just now... BUT it did require that I pause playback.
It was going fine and seemed to hang at 49% for about 20 seconds, so I pressed the start button on the xBox - that paused playback. Then I saw that it started saving again and finished at 100%. I did go ahead and hard reboot the system afterwards just to be on the safe side. Just watched it - seems to have saved just fine.

EDIT: Just saved my 2nd one... this time I paused the replay when it started - then hit save. Worked without a glitch.
1st one was a 10 minute race, second - a 9 minute qualifying session.
Both play back just fine :-)
BTW: I deleted all videos before saving any (if that makes a difference - don't know why it would. but then - i'm new at this)

Hammerpgh
25-02-2018, 22:51
I have some saves from before the patch that I can still watch ... but now (after the patch) cannot save any more ...

I might try deleting the old saves I have and see if it lets me save a new one ... but that does rather the defeat the point of having saves in the first place, if you have to delete one before you can save a new one!

A bit disappointing that a patch introduces a glitch like this (if the patch IS the cause ...): did a tester not try saves after the patch??

Yeah i fully agree that it defeats the point of the save replay facility but I'm sure it's not intended to be like that and hopefully will be fixed.

wings596
26-02-2018, 11:53
Well, I've just tried again to save a new offline replay, without deleting my old pre-patch 4.0 saves ... and this time it worked!

So, whatever the problem was before it doesn't seem to be consistent?

I'll keep on trying and see if the failure returns, and if any particular circumstance makes it re-occur.

Hammerpgh
26-02-2018, 15:47
Well, I've just tried again to save a new offline replay, without deleting my old pre-patch 4.0 saves ... and this time it worked!

So, whatever the problem was before it doesn't seem to be consistent?

I'll keep on trying and see if the failure returns, and if any particular circumstance makes it re-occur.

Likewise i'll try to do a replay save next time I am on as I have one already saved from my last race.

wings596
27-02-2018, 08:13
Well my new save success (above, post 6) didn't last long! Tried another one, on top of the mix of pre-patch saves and the post-patch one ... and this new one failed again!

I tried deleting all my old saves, pre- and post-patch ... and then could save another new one.

Something is not working properly (doh!).

Hammerpgh
27-02-2018, 10:08
I'm wondering whether this is a carry over from the problems there used to be in pCars 1 where too many saved replays would cause a corruption of the save game file thereby losing all your progress. SMS took a lot of heat for that so perhaps they have built in some kind of fail safe to prevent that happening by limiting the rep;lay saving facility.

wings596
27-02-2018, 14:59
I haven't played PC1 so I'm not aware of the history ... but at the moment the "fail safe" position (if it it that) is ... zero saves!! A bit extreme :D

I have none saved now, and another try has just failed ...

A couple of observations:
- a new player, I had PC2 only for a month or so before the patch 4.0: as far as I could tell, pre-patch saving was fine, I had no problems making 5-6 saves. The problem arose for me only after patch 4.0

- the save process now has a 1-2 second first blue progress bar which gets to 100%, replaced by a second slooow blue progress bar which gets to 60%-70% and then gives the fail error report. Using the try again option doesn't work ... IIRC from pre-patch, the two bar thing is new??

File saving wouldn't seem to be at the cutting edge of sim programming?

Kvally
28-02-2018, 00:15
My save replay is no longer working after the new patch. It was working flawless prior to the patch.

Hammerpgh
28-02-2018, 10:48
Yeah it sounds like the patch must have broke something then. I was able to save a replay post patch but have not yet tried to save another one.

Out of interest and I am not saying it is linked in any way, check the size of your pCars 2 save file. I know in pCars 1 whenever this got around the 250mb mark is when it triggered the corrupt save game file problem.

Sankyo
28-02-2018, 11:10
Just to make sure: are you guys saving on HDD and not in the cloud?

wings596
28-02-2018, 11:12
A dumb question from an X Box (X Box One X) newbie ... how do I check the save file size?

Coming from building my own gaming PCs back in the day (Flight simulators, mostly ...), I now use a Mac for my "serious" computing, hence going down the X Box One X route rather than PC to play PC2. The workings of the One X for things like file handling are completely opaque to me sadly ...

FWIW I have (now) only one fairly small off-line save file, post-patch ... pre-patch I had 5-6 saves, so it doesn't seem like it is save file size alone that's the problem?

wings596
28-02-2018, 11:19
Just to make sure: are you guys saving on HDD and not in the cloud?

A good question ... to which the answer is "I don't know!" (Don't know much about the X Box world ...)

I have no exterior hard disk attached, but plenty of space on the internal hard drive; all I do is follow the routine built into PC2 and the One X, and click save ... don't direct them anywhere than the default.

My understanding is that the One X (all X Boxes) back up progress online ... from time to time I see a "syncing" message and progress bar ... but I presumed that that was for the whole of PC2 (and all content ...) progress, not specifically related to the replay save files in any way.

So ... where would the default process put them?

Sankyo
28-02-2018, 11:47
OK it turns out that cloud saving is the only possibility on XB1.

Hammerpgh
28-02-2018, 11:59
A dumb question from an X Box (X Box One X) newbie ... how do I check the save file size?

Coming from building my own gaming PCs back in the day (Flight simulators, mostly ...), I now use a Mac for my "serious" computing, hence going down the X Box One X route rather than PC to play PC2. The workings of the One X for things like file handling are completely opaque to me sadly ...

FWIW I have (now) only one fairly small off-line save file, post-patch ... pre-patch I had 5-6 saves, so it doesn't seem like it is save file size alone that's the problem?

Highlight the Project cars 2 game tile, click the menu button and from the pop-up go down and select Manage Game. That will bring up the manage game screen and you should be able to find the game save file size somewhere there. If not i'll check mine tonight and let you know exactly ok.

Hammerpgh
28-02-2018, 12:01
A good question ... to which the answer is "I don't know!" (Don't know much about the X Box world ...)

I have no exterior hard disk attached, but plenty of space on the internal hard drive; all I do is follow the routine built into PC2 and the One X, and click save ... don't direct them anywhere than the default.

My understanding is that the One X (all X Boxes) back up progress online ... from time to time I see a "syncing" message and progress bar ... but I presumed that that was for the whole of PC2 (and all content ...) progress, not specifically related to the replay save files in any way.

So ... where would the default process put them?

It was this cloud syncing that used to cause the problems in pCars 1 as the replay files got synced as well which caused so many problems. There was lots of discussion on this over in the pCars 1 forums. I have not seen any mention of it with pCars 2 though so hopefully that's no longer an issue.

wings596
28-02-2018, 16:16
OK it turns out that cloud saving is the only possibility on XB1.

OK, thanks for checking and for the info.

So ... does this have an implication for the cause of and solution for the problem???

wings596
01-03-2018, 19:53
Highlight the Project cars 2 game tile, click the menu button and from the pop-up go down and select Manage Game. That will bring up the manage game screen and you should be able to find the game save file size somewhere there. If not i'll check mine tonight and let you know exactly ok.

Did you have a chance to check / confirm this?

I can find only an option to delete ALL games' saves in an "all or nothing" step ... to be re-sync'd from the cloud version ... so I'm not sure this would fix things anyway??

I'm reluctant to delete things this way just in case a re-sync / restore doesn't work properly, and I'd lose my (limited, it's true!) PC2 progress to date. (Also risk losing my progress in "another driving game" which I presume is stored / sync'd the same way?)

I'm still having the same replay save fail problem: frustrating ...

Can I ask another X Box question?

At the risk of seeming dumb (again ...), is it the case that I need an X Box / Microsoft paid for Gold (?) online membership to be allowed out into the real world to play online stuff??

I have only just tried, wanting to use the time trial section to test circuits (per Yorkie's YouTube video series suggestion) ... but find the PC2 tells me I don't have that access and the X Box takes me to to a Gold sign up screen ....

Probably naively I hadn't realised that, already having an ISP and internet access for X Box, I'd have to pay Microsoft more money each month to use a PC2 online facility ... do all X Boxers have to do this to play PC2 online??

bluesky0870
01-03-2018, 21:04

I can find only an option to delete ALL games' saves in an "all or nothing" step ... to be re-sync'd from the cloud version ... so I'm not sure this would fix things anyway??

I'm reluctant to delete things this way just in case a re-sync / restore doesn't work properly, and I'd lose my (limited, it's true!) PC2 progress to date. (Also risk losing my progress in "another driving game" which I presume is stored / sync'd the same way?)

At the risk of seeming dumb (again ...), is it the case that I need an X Box / Microsoft paid for Gold (?) online membership to be allowed out into the real world to play online stuff??

I have only just tried, wanting to use the time trial section to test circuits (per Yorkie's YouTube video series suggestion) ... but find the PC2 tells me I don't have that access and the X Box takes me to to a Gold sign up screen ....

Probably naively I hadn't realised that, already having an ISP and internet access for X Box, I'd have to pay Microsoft more money each month to use a PC2 online facility ... do all X Boxers have to do this to play PC2 online??

For playing online a game (all games, not only PC2) you have to have Xbox Live Gold.
You can get that from your Xbox start page ( the most expensive option), sometimes GameStop or other game dealer as well as tech discounters have offers or you can get them via internet ( cheapest option, 36 to 40 for 12 month, but not all offers are trustful).
Included in this membership are 4 games for free every month, 2 for the Xbox One, 2 for the 360. So there's more value included in Live Gold.

On another note, for the PlayStation you need this "online pass" too.

wings596
01-03-2018, 22:33
Thanks for this information / confirmation.

Hammerpgh
02-03-2018, 19:56

Yes to race online yoi have to subscribe to Xbox Live I'm afraid.

I'm just about to very on now so I'll get the otter info you require about the gamex save file.

Hammerpgh
02-03-2018, 19:57

Yes to race online yoi have to subscribe to Xbox Live I'm afraid.

I'm just about to very on now so I'll get the otter info you require about the game save file.

Hammerpgh
02-03-2018, 20:16
So you go to the pCars 2 tile, hit the menu button and go to 'manage game' and on the left hand pane you scroll down to 'Saved data' and then you'll see the size of your save file on the right hand side. Mine currently is 138mb. This isn't supposed to go above about 256mb. Your replays are included in this file and I suspect that if the replay you try to save would take this file size to higher than 256mb the save fails.

Hammerpgh
02-03-2018, 23:38
I just had a good couple of hours in the game and tested out the replay save function. I completed a 10 lap race and tried to save the replay. The save progress bar flashed across very quickly but then a second bar popped up and went across much slower and then gave the failed to save message. So based on the fact my save file was 138mb prior to this session it would indicate the 10 lap replay must have been over 118mb and therefore would have caused the game save file to exceed the 256mb limit.

I then deleted the replay I had previously saved (a 10 lap race) and checked my game save file which now was just 511kb in size. So a 10 lap race with 15 AI equates to about 138mb hence why only very short races can be saved. A huge limitation which I wish could be removed.

wings596
04-03-2018, 00:06
I just had a good couple of hours in the game and tested out the replay save function. I completed a 10 lap race and tried to save the replay. The save progress bar flashed across very quickly but then a second bar popped up and went across much slower and then gave the failed to save message. So based on the fact my save file was 138mb prior to this session it would indicate the 10 lap replay must have been over 118mb and therefore would have caused the game save file to exceed the 256mb limit.

I then deleted the replay I had previously saved (a 10 lap race) and checked my game save file which now was just 511kb in size. So a 10 lap race with 15 AI equates to about 138mb hence why only very short races can be saved. A huge limitation which I wish could be removed.

Thanks for checking and posting this info ... helpful.

I've checked my file size following your "how to ...": it is 230mb including three (fairly short) replay saves, and some stills ... illustrates why it won't let me save any more.

At least I understand what's happening now! Ta!

Hammerpgh
05-03-2018, 16:00
Thanks for checking and posting this info ... helpful.

I've checked my file size following your "how to ...": it is 230mb including three (fairly short) replay saves, and some stills ... illustrates why it won't let me save any more.

At least I understand what's happening now! Ta!

Your welcome mate. Let's hope they can figure a way to resolve this otherwise the replay facility is very limited in it's use.