PDA

View Full Version : Positive Camber?

Smoked_Cheddar
26-02-2018, 14:22
I was trying to work on a setup for Formula X at Indy-Oval and I noticed you cannot have positive camber on the left tire. I double checked the oval indycar and it does have positive camber, the Ford Fusion Stock car has positive camber as well..

Is there something in the way the cars are designed that prevents camber? I know if it was a real life car I could understand the limitations, however this is an SMS car.

If it cannot be done, I'll work around it, just curious more than anything.

AbeWoz
26-02-2018, 14:38
probably since the FX isn't 'designed' to race on ovals.... just like not being able to put positive camber on the LMP2,3 and GT cars even tho they race at the Daytona Road Course.

Smoked_Cheddar
26-02-2018, 15:47
Thank you for the reply, I guess I misinterpreted what the Formula X car meant. Regardless, it is a fun car, and I will be taking it out on the road courses!

Jussi Karjalainen
26-02-2018, 15:56
The Formula X was definitely intended as a circuit car. =)

Smoked_Cheddar
26-02-2018, 16:12
The Formula X was definitely intended as a circuit car. =)

Well that clears that up. I think my confusion about that comes from what appears to be late era CART car inspiration, particularly on the latter half of the car and its incredibly high speed.

Thanks again.

Jussi Karjalainen
26-02-2018, 17:08
Lots of different ideas went into that car, but I think the carrying idea was to make a kind of "what we wish F1 would move towards" vehicle. Lots of power, especially in the vicious KERS system, with not overtly huge amounts of aero, to get something kind of like a modern take on the 80s post-ground-effect-turbo-monster-F1 cars like the 98T. Styling cues came from many places. Definitely ended up in a pretty nifty looking and exciting car.

AbeWoz
26-02-2018, 17:48
Lots of different ideas went into that car, but I think the carrying idea was to make a kind of "what we wish F1 would move towards" vehicle. Lots of power, especially in the vicious KERS system, with not overtly huge amounts of aero, to get something kind of like a modern take on the 80s post-ground-effect-turbo-monster-F1 cars like the 98T. Styling cues came from many places. Definitely ended up in a pretty nifty looking and exciting car.

It's strikingly similar to the new IndyCar aero kits, which is probably the best looking open-wheel car out there IMO.