PDA

View Full Version : FOV PC Vs PC2

RookieRaceline
28-02-2018, 09:40
I'm trying to understand field of view, and using an online calculator that was made for Project Cars 1

Is the setting identical on`Project Cars 2 also? I'm getting a FOV that is pretty low, but i am on a TV monitor, and got mychair and rig as close to it as it can go. I'd like a higher FOV, but can get closer to the TV

Sankyo
28-02-2018, 09:53
What camera view are you using? If chase cam, then that camera changed w.r.t. pC1 and you have to fiddle a bit more with settings to get it the same. There's a thread about this already, will try and find it later.

RoccoTTS
28-02-2018, 09:55
I'm trying to understand field of view, and using an online calculator that was made for Project Cars 1

Is the setting identical on`Project Cars 2 also? I'm getting a FOV that is pretty low, but i am on a TV monitor, and got mychair and rig as close to it as it can go. I'd like a higher FOV, but can get closer to the TV

It's the same for PC2, both or horizontal fov.
IMO using the correct fov is only useful if you are close enough to your screen and/or if you have a big screen. If you don't feel comfortable with the correct fov, it's better to use a compromise.

John Hargreaves
28-02-2018, 10:10
On the PS4 the chase cam was a bit different on PC1. I think it was 70deg fov where PC2 is 80deg (might have been the other way round, stuck at work atm). I did a bit of fiddling when I set up PC2 because I did prefer the PC1 chase cam, so I remember having to change the fov to match PC1. It was also a bit higher and further back.

RookieRaceline
28-02-2018, 10:23
I'm using the roof cam from most cars, or the cockpit for open wheelers or cars that are more open (no roll cages etc).
I tried to fiddle with it, bad noticed that corners seem a lot tighter with a narrow FOV.

I also seem to be struggling with estimating how far the corners are and how fast they are aproaching. This FOV is buggling my brain.. LOL

John Hargreaves
28-02-2018, 10:47
I run a wider fov on my PS4 than I do on the PC. Using the wheel and being closer to the monitor, somehow it seems to work fine for visibility. On the external cams I use on the PS4, a wider fov seems to be better so I can see where I am going.

AbeWoz
28-02-2018, 10:47
I'm using the roof cam from most cars, or the cockpit for open wheelers or cars that are more open (no roll cages etc).
I tried to fiddle with it, bad noticed that corners seem a lot tighter with a narrow FOV.

I also seem to be struggling with estimating how far the corners are and how fast they are aproaching. This FOV is buggling my brain.. LOL

gotta use cockpit for max immersion. haha

but i switched to the 'correct' FOV recently and it took a little while to re-adjust and get used to it because it was using a FOV that was too high for so long. just give it time and it will all fall into place.

RookieRaceline
28-02-2018, 11:11
gotta use cockpit for max immersion. haha

but i switched to the 'correct' FOV recently and it took a little while to re-adjust and get used to it because it was using a FOV that was too high for so long. just give it time and it will all fall into place.

The calculator says i should use 36, but it sounds and feels wrong..

Sankyo
28-02-2018, 11:12
The calculator says i should use 36, but it sounds and feels wrong..

The FOV calculator is intended for cockpit/helmet cam, not for chase/roof/other cameras.

RookieRaceline
28-02-2018, 11:32
The FOV calculator is intended for cockpit/helmet cam, not for chase/roof/other cameras.
Yeah, but still, 36 seems a bit low, considering i am as close to the TV as i can (its 100cm wide, and i sit 140 from it)

Sankyo
28-02-2018, 11:38
Yeah, but still, 36 seems a bit low, considering i am as close to the TV as i can (its 100cm wide, and i sit 140 from it)

Well the numbers don't lie :), but the FOV is really only for cockpit/helmet camera where the TV screen is taken as a cut-out of the windscreen as if you were sitting in a real car. Imagine sitting in the back seat of your car and having a 100 cm window cut out of the windscreen, that is what you would see on your TV screen.

John Hargreaves
28-02-2018, 11:39
I'm using 70deg on my 32" TV with chase cam. I think you just have to adjust for each TV through trial and error.

Bealdor
28-02-2018, 11:43

Unfortunately in sim racing terms that's not close at all. At least not close enough for true to life FOV.
Unless you're using triple screens or put a 50" screen DIRECTLY behind your wheel, true FOV shouldn't be your target IMO.
The issue is that with a single screen you'll completely lose any peripheral vision when using a FOV of 36, leading to a complete loss of speed sensation.

Imagine you're sitting in your real car and all windows are blacked out except a TV sized part of your windscreen. Would you really want to drive, let alone race competitively, in those conditions?
My advice is, try a FOV of 50 and tweak from there.

AbeWoz
28-02-2018, 11:48
Also, once you have FOV set, you can still move your camera/seat position (in cockpit/helmet cam) to suit.

mister dog
28-02-2018, 11:53
Also, once you have FOV set, you can still move your camera/seat position (in cockpit/helmet cam) to suit.

And you can order an Edtracker or Trackir to restore your peripheral vision :).

RoccoTTS
28-02-2018, 11:57

Maybe a stupid question, but do you know the size of your monitor has to be measured diagonal and not wide ?

AbeWoz
28-02-2018, 12:04
Maybe a stupid question, but do you know the size of your monitor has to be measured diagonal and not wide ?

monitors and TV's are always measured via the diagonal.

i have 3 Acer 27" monitors, but are only 23.5" wide.
also on the projectimmersion site, it says diagonal...

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

RookieRaceline
28-02-2018, 12:44
Yes correct, but one of the calculators i used, neede the widht and not diagonal length.

What Bealdor mentioned though makes sense... I guess having a better feel is mor important that it being correct. So it eventually is just a matter of saste?

Bealdor
28-02-2018, 12:49
What Bealdor mentioned though makes sense... I guess having a better feel is mor important that it being correct. So it eventually is just a matter of saste?

The "Hardcore Simracing Crowd" will disagree with me but I'd take better feel and playability over a mathematically correct view any day.

RoccoTTS
28-02-2018, 13:18
The "Hardcore Simracing Crowd" will disagree with me but I'd take better feel and playability over a mathematically correct view any day.

I agree, but the ideal solution is to adapt your hardware until you can use the mathematically correct view. That's what i did, i removed a piece of my tv table so i can fit my rig under my tv table.
But i don't have a wife or girlfriend, so for me it's a bit easier to do this. ;)

My correct fov is 63 and IMO i would not use a fov below 60, because otherwise your view is too limited.

g.stew
28-02-2018, 15:52
I found a good time to fine-tune my fov was during the cooldown lap. The AI are moving slowly and not braking really hard. I just pick one and try to tailgate him as close as possible. You'll be able to see if the other car seems the right size to you and you should be able to stay really close to him without hitting. You can also them compare in the instant replay and see if you are really as close as you think.

RookieRaceline
01-03-2018, 07:14
Now i am just curious - what are the signs that one has the wrong FOV and what are the signs of a correct FOV?
Based on g.stew i can guess that placing your car on the track, and checking that it really is where you think it is, can be one test, but are there other signs of correct or wrong FOV that one can keep an eye on?

RoccoTTS
01-03-2018, 08:35
Now i am just curious - what are the signs that one has the wrong FOV and what are the signs of a correct FOV?
Based on g.stew i can guess that placing your car on the track, and checking that it really is where you think it is, can be one test, but are there other signs of correct or wrong FOV that one can keep an eye on?

There's only one way to know you have the correct fov and that's calculate it.

RookieRaceline
01-03-2018, 09:03
There's only one way to know you have the correct fov and that's calculate it.

But thats what this whole thread is about. calculating the correct FOV for me gives an angle of 36 and that, although it might be correct mathematically, is neither safe, fun or realistic using my set up.

I agree that there is a mathematically correct FOV but based on the earlier posts, its better to have it set to suit your set up, than for it to be correct. The question is how to spot if it is right or needs adjustementif you don't have the screen right up behind the wheel, or have a tripple screen setup

RoccoTTS
01-03-2018, 09:22
But thats what this whole thread is about. calculating the correct FOV for me gives an angle of 36 and that, although it might be correct mathematically, is neither safe, fun or realistic using my set up.

I agree that there is a mathematically correct FOV but based on the earlier posts, its better to have it set to suit your set up, than for it to be correct. The question is how to spot if it is right or needs adjustementif you don't have the screen right up behind the wheel, or have a tripple screen setup

Just start with 50 or something and keep going higher until you're happy. If you don't want to use the correct mathematically fov, there are no rules, just use what feels comfortably for you.

Atak Kat
01-03-2018, 09:27
I think that's quite difficult to answer, and can be dependent on you as well. In your situation, I definitely agree, make it good for you. But then trying to understand if it is 'right' or not, is kinda a non-starter??

Signals that you can consider, whether or not you need to adjust:
- are you able to judge your braking distance with reasonable consistency?
- are you able to judge where the apex of the turn is and reasonably get close to it?
- are you constantly getting surprised by other cars coming up beside you and realizing it too late?
- are you the type of driver that is constantly trying to keep track of what's going on around you? or are you a 'balls-out, go for the gap, screw the rest, 1st or restart/quit' kinda driver?
- are you getting any sort of motion sickness? maybe when using look left/right?

I think those are the main things to think about. Those are the things that will help your laptimes, race results, and also your overall enjoyment of the game. If you can find a combination of settings so that your view will deal with those things, you're well on the way, regardless if it is the mathematical correct FOV or not.

But if you have a decent screen size, and it's close to your eyes, then using the correct mathematical FOV DOES help with all those things. At least that's my experience.

RookieRaceline
01-03-2018, 09:35
Good points there Atak Kat, thanks!
Also i just realised that being surprised by track limits might also be down to FOV.

I wander if the devs have experimented with adding some fish eye effect at the outter 10-15% of the screen, kind of like the way side mirrors have a transision to cover the blind angles of a car.. would be interesting to see how that would work for us with just one screen

Atak Kat
01-03-2018, 09:59
I wander if the devs have experimented with adding some fish eye effect at the outter 10-15% of the screen, kind of like the way side mirrors have a transision to cover the blind angles of a car.. would be interesting to see how that would work for us with just one screen

I would rather have the option of a floating mirror for the left/right of the car. Just like now we have the box that shows the rear-view mirror (not the in-car, cockpit view, real mirror....but the box you can have on any view, showing you the constant rear view). If there was the same thing possible on the left/right of the screen (obviously different box dimensions), simulating the left/right mirror..... I think that would be quite good.

RookieRaceline
01-03-2018, 10:21
I would rather have the option of a floating mirror for the left/right of the car. Just like now we have the box that shows the rear-view mirror (not the in-car, cockpit view, real mirror....but the box you can have on any view, showing you the constant rear view). If there was the same thing possible on the left/right of the screen (obviously different box dimensions), simulating the left/right mirror..... I think that would be quite good.

Yes, i'd love that too!
Virtual rear view mirrors that we can place and reorganise on the HUD designer.