PDA

View Full Version : a little race strategy help please.

kevin kirk
02-03-2018, 23:00
I can't seem to match stops and tire life with when I need to be changing to a softer tire because of temps (turns nighttime). How are you guys factoring that into your pit strategy to avoid being caught out in the middle of a run needing to stop to change tire compound because of tire temps? I'm sure sometimes its unavoidable and just trying to ride out cold tires until my next stop just doesn't work. In the last two races, I have literally dropped to the last place in my class from not being prepared for the moment of needing to change tire compounds so I figured I would ask with a thread. In short, I'm wondering how do you guys work thur that curve ball to your race strategy for the rest of the race after needing to make an unplanned stop to change tire compounds? Or the need to stop to fix the damage for that matter. I'm speaking about races with multiple pitstops being made

Invincible
03-03-2018, 00:01
I'm setting up 3 to 4 different strategies for such races. It is faster and easier to switch the strategy in a than than it is to dial out fuel or tires. When I know I need to switch to softs somewhere trough the race, but let's say I have to du 2 stops but the switchpoint would be right in the middle, I rather switch earlier and go easy on the tires than to stay out and have undriveable hard tires.
Also, I always set up a strategy for repairs only, if something happens a lap or two after I got new tires and fueled up.

Ofnir4
03-03-2018, 00:19
Reverse thinking, from the end of the race to the start.

Having multiple pit strategy ready. (like front only, rear only and full service)

Knowing how you can stretch or shorten stints with with fuel usage and tire usage to match them for pit efficiency, to stay on the best strategy at the time.

And reverse thinking again to see a new branches, a new best or second best strategy if you deviate from the optimal.

kevin kirk
03-03-2018, 00:36
I should add im running accelerated tire wear. Usually comes up with one hour on a set of hard tires. It seems stopping early, say 30 minutes into a one hour tire life. Forces me to either stop for another set, which i just cannot do (I think), OR add 30 minutes of that lost running time to the next set of tires. Thus leaving me with the same results of lost places as if i just struggled on cold tires to my next planned stop.

kevin kirk
03-03-2018, 00:52
Reverse thinking, from the end of the race to the start.

Having multiple pit strategy ready. (like front only, rear only and full service)

Knowing how you can stretch or shorten stints with with fuel usage and tire usage to match them for pit efficiency, to stay on the best strategy at the time.

And reverse thinking again to see a new branches, a new best or second best strategy if you deviate from the optimal.

there for a while I was just figuring up the total stops the AI will make during the race and think in terms of stopping the same amount of times but at times that suit me best like moments of temp change or sudden need to fix damage. Say I had 3 stops to use them wisely thurout the race. I might just go back to that method. The thing i didnt like about it was matching those wise moments with the mess of needing to take more fuel and being off schedule to what the AI was doing meant I ran most of the race without even seeing another car in my class. The car i was racing was on the other end of the track.

Ofnir4
03-03-2018, 09:51
The best strategy can't be the most entertaining at the same time. :p

I always do multiclass, that way, even if I'm on different strategy or just offset, there is action on the track.