PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have a question!

ecstaticbrick
03-03-2018, 03:29
Why is it called Formula ROOKIE????

No downforce wings, no overtake buttons, no halo, no flappy paddles and a tail so loose it could be an extra in Happy Feet 3!

Shouldn't it be called Formula EXPERT!!!!!!

Yes, I just got beaten embarrassingly badly!

gormanio
03-03-2018, 04:50
formula one should be formula rookie then?

RookieRaceline
03-03-2018, 05:40
Must be the 106 Hp ;)
I think they are a lot of fun! (those and the Gineta Jr.)

CassielLight
03-03-2018, 07:15
Because they're slower, and they run fewer laps on smaller tracks. If they ran those little guys on the full GP courses, they'd be so spread out that it wouldn't be much of a "race": the results would be decided less by the drivers and more by the engineers.

Jussi Karjalainen
03-03-2018, 07:59
Because it's based on real life entry level Formula classes. =)

Contrary to what many people might think, quite a few lower level racing cars aren't designed to be easy to drive (at least when set up for racing instead of as "track day experiences" for the general public), but also very much to be teaching tools. Not that high on grip, very sensitive to driver inputs, and rewarding smooth driving, but doing it at low power levels and at low speeds, so that youngsters get to make their mistakes in a relatively safe environment, and learn to appreciate safe driving. As you go up the ranks and the actual speed starts to rise, the capabilities and design of the cars starts to shift focus towards safety and maximum lap time performance, they cease to be training tools and become proper racing cars.

It's not uncommon to hear comments from drivers, who just moved to these entry level Formulas in real life, saying how they considered them a massive step backwards as racing cars compared to the higher level karts they just came out of, the cars being slower and more difficult to drive. =)

In some ways it's kind of similar to how many music schools go about teaching the guitar: You always start with an acoustic, even though from a purely mechanical standpoint it's way harder to play them cleanly than it is to play a well set up electric guitar. But when bashing your head against that wall you'll develop your basics finger technique and hand strength in a way that can be beneficial in the long run.

RoccoTTS
03-03-2018, 08:47
Best car ever made to learn the basic driving techniques.

racesafegrandad
03-03-2018, 09:23
I call them formula ford. I love formula ford racing and they look just like them to me?

Barmydoughnut24
03-03-2018, 09:52
Because they are designed to train drivers to get used to the raw feel of a car. If they came with assists and were easy to drive, you would be learning bad habits and would just end up having to learn all over again once you moved up to a more powerful car. They are also not massively powerful so although might be difficult to learn, they are more forgiving when after youve made a mistake as incidents are generally smaller. Also from a set up perspective, they are good teaching tools as you can learn how to set up a car far easier and are more approachable.

John Hargreaves
03-03-2018, 12:48
I thought it was Frookie, rhymes with Wookie :)

RichS77
03-03-2018, 16:36
Completely agree, you can throw them around a bit and slide them without getting into too much trouble. In the wet races with assists turned off I was usually around 2 seconds faster than the rest of the grid.