PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Cayman Question

Keena
03-03-2018, 19:49
Hey all and hope youre all well. I searched the threads but couldn't find a specific answer on this so...
My question is this- in the Porsche Cayman, with automatic clutch OFF, should the car stall if you put it into gear with no clutch depressed? At the moment it just creeps off on idle revs. Its a bit strange and I don't know if its how the real car behaves- its almost like its got an automatic gearbox instead of a sequential. Am I doing something stupid here?
Any insights gratefully received.

Thanks

Invincible
03-03-2018, 20:30
IRL it has a double clutch paddle shifter gearbox without a clutch (Porsche PDK) and a disabled 7th gear, which the road car has.

Keena
03-03-2018, 21:56
IRL it has a double clutch paddle shifter gearbox without a clutch (Porsche PDK) and a disabled 7th gear, which the road car has.

Thanks. And would that stall given the circumstances I described above? When you say "without a clutch"- do you mean there is no clutch at all, not even for moving off? Appreciated :)

Azure Flare
04-03-2018, 04:05
Thanks. And would that stall given the circumstances I described above? When you say "without a clutch"- do you mean there is no clutch at all, not even for moving off? Appreciated :)

It will not stall, even if you don't use the clutch because the real car doesn't have a clutch pedal.

Keena
04-03-2018, 04:56
Thanks for the info Azure. I thought I'd better check just to make sure it wasn't me going crazy. I've not seen that before so definately interesting to come across. I'm having a blast with it in testing :).
Thanks for the help guys. This thread answered :)

Jussi Karjalainen
04-03-2018, 09:43
double clutch paddle shifter gearbox without a clutchThose Porsche engineers sure are something, aren't they. =)

Yeah, it has that kind of layout, so it shouldn't stall when in gear like that. Most of the road cars with paddles also behave like this when auto clutch is turned off. One of the those tiny details we like working on.

Invincible
04-03-2018, 13:17
Those Porsche engineers sure are something, aren't they. =)

Yeah, it has that kind of layout, so it shouldn't stall when in gear like that. Most of the road cars with paddles also behave like this when auto clutch is turned off. One of the those tiny details we like working on.

Smarty pants :p I meant double clutch gearbox which doesn't require a clutch pedal.

Azure Flare
04-03-2018, 15:09
Those Porsche engineers sure are something, aren't they. =)

What's more astonishing is they can pronounce it in German perfectly.