PDA

View Full Version : VR and shifter placement.

chickano
05-03-2018, 21:53
Hi,

I've been reading up alot about VR, but one question I have has not been addressed anywhere i can find.

I've read many people talk that when set up properly the virtual in game wheel is in the same place as your real arms and wheel are, but what about the shifter? If you have a rig set up to be right hand drive, is it off putting to be in a virtual car that's left hand drive? Do you need to switch the shifter and handbrake around on your rig in this situation?

thanks for your time.

Keena
05-03-2018, 22:13
I'm going to upgrade to VR soon myself. Good question by the OP- looking with interest at the feedback.

morpwr
05-03-2018, 23:17
Hi,

I've been reading up alot about VR, but one question I have has not been addressed anywhere i can find.

I've read many people talk that when set up properly the virtual in game wheel is in the same place as your real arms and wheel are, but what about the shifter? If you have a rig set up to be right hand drive, is it off putting to be in a virtual car that's left hand drive? Do you need to switch the shifter and handbrake around on your rig in this situation?

thanks for your time.

For me no. You should be looking waaay down the road not at the shifter.lol I actually thought being from the states it would be hard driving on the wrong side of the car but you really don't even notice it. Now if I had to actually shift left handed in a real car that might be a different story.

BigDad
05-03-2018, 23:46
I'm in Australia and have my shifter set up on my left (the correct side btw) and at first it's a little weird seeing your virtual hand go to the right but that's just initially because your looking at everything because it's new. Once your past the "honeymoon" of VR you don't notice anymore really.
The biggest thing that is a little annoying is the wheel placement and rim size being different from car to car.
I have two wheels, a 320mm flat bottom Sparco and a Fanatec Carbon Formula rim and when it's off by even a tiny bit it takes a few laps for your brain to align things, after that period it's all sweet.
The worst part of VR is not being able to play AMS anymore :(

satco1066
05-03-2018, 23:53
The shifter in the game is where it is, regardless of VR or Monitor.
If you really want the full immersion of seeing the shifter animation on the right side, you'll have to mount your shifter on right or left side, dependent to the car.
But to be true, i mostly shift with my paddles, i use my shifter only with RX cars. Never had a problem with that hand animation.

Human_bean
06-03-2018, 00:48
At first it feels weird but then you forget about it after a while and look where you are going while automatically shifting like you would in real life.

chickano
06-03-2018, 01:59
OK thanks for all the comments and feedback guys, I appreciate them. It makes sense that you just get used it, interesting to read people's experiences about wheel type and placement too.

Cheers!

Purg
06-03-2018, 03:32
Aussie as well, perhaps I'm simply used to driving sims with the wheel on the wrong side ;) but you tune it out pretty quick. Don't even notice and does nothing to ruin the immersion once you reach that point.