PDA

View Full Version : Where is the improved sound for the 2017 Porsche 911 RSR...

Roushman624
05-03-2018, 23:31
SMS said they improved the sound but where is it? Where's the ferocious transmission whine? Where's the downshifts? Where is the power in the car? Why did we get this sound for such an amazing car... Why did they say they improved it and it sounds the exact same...:mad::(:confused:

Ofnir4
05-03-2018, 23:33
That was fast.

Roushman624
05-03-2018, 23:34
That was fast.

You want to know why? I PAID for realistic cars and it's a straight copy of the already bad sounding GT3R. This pack went from being my most anticipated to being the most disappointing in 10 seconds... I want to know how they improved the car because imho it's the same thing.

Roushman624
05-03-2018, 23:44
Is there going to be a REAL fix coming? What about the transmission? Is the car going to have some actual transmission whine soon???

Tank621
05-03-2018, 23:45
Can't you just mimic the sound with your mouth as you drive along?

Roushman624
05-03-2018, 23:47
Can't you just mimic the sound with your mouth as you drive along?

Quit defending them if you know something is bad! Tell it like it is!
As a paying customer I have my right to have answers as to why I waited 6 months for a car to sound just like the GT3R which they know is bad. How can you write this entire article about having such a passion for Porsche and then let your car sound like this? The cockpit lights don't even work properly!

Ofnir4
05-03-2018, 23:57
I will say, over 8000 rpm the sound is even worse, you can hear a loop.
The high pitch gt3r sound is not working.

There is taste, then there is bad design, it's the first cars since PC1 audi R8 GT3 that makes me drive with close to no engine sound.
At low rpm no issue, almost sounds good, but once in the power band it's bad, ear damaging bad.

Roushman624
05-03-2018, 23:59
I will say, over 8000 rpm the sound is even worse, you can hear a loop.
The high pitch gt3r sound is not working.

There is taste, then there is bad design, it's the first cars since PC1 audi R8 GT3 that makes me drive with close to no engine sound.
At low rpm no issue, almost sounds good, but once in the power band it's bad, ear damaging bad.
And this is why I want answers. I want to hear SMS personally say that they have a big fix coming for it. There is barely any transmission whine, how does that happen???

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 00:02
Forza's FREE RSR sounds 10x better than this and I hate a lot of forza's sounds...

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 00:05
You won't hear a whine, I turned off engine sound but left general car sound at 100, the result : Silence

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 00:07
You won't hear a whine, I turned off engine sound but left general car sound at 100, the result : Silence

It's great right? We wait what, 6 months? For this????

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 00:16
Ok, small correction to be made : No car in the game has transmission noise, it's all mixed in with the engine sound.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 00:18
Ok, small correction to be made : No car in the game has transmission noise, it's all mixed in with the engine sound.

Can I ask you something? Do I have the right to complain as a person who paid $60 and then another $30 if it does not meet expectations? Especially when waiting 6 months for a product that they said they "improved"? I don't have the best ears in the world but I can guarantee you it sounds very close to the GT3R...

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 00:26
Yes, you can complain, as long as it's helpful it's more than welcome.

But you can't put a 90$ price tag on that one issue on that one car, I'm sure you feel the rest of the content did meet your expectation.

Let's stay cool, you don't win your fight for better sound by having the thread closed because someone may take offense (of/on ?)the way you say it.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 00:28

But you can't put a 90$ price tag on that one issue on that one car, I'm sure you feel the rest of the content did meet your expectation.

Yes it did and that's why it's mind boggling how they can mess up such an amazing sounding car. I know for a FACT if Forza and GTS can do better, then so can they...

BigDad
06-03-2018, 00:29
Now I cant wait to try this tonight :/

morpwr
06-03-2018, 00:32
Now I cant wait to try this tonight :/

Must be nice I have to wait until tomorrow.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 00:33
I just want to know if it will be fixed... I'm done ranting and raving. I'm truly a hurt fan..
They had said they improved the sound but maybe that improvement didn't come with the DLC at launch... :confused:

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 00:56
All I want is an answer on if it will be fixed and if they really improved it. I don't want to be attacked by people that will defend them no matter what. BTW, the car doesn't sound so bad if you keep it under 5,000 rpm...

satco1066
06-03-2018, 00:59
it will. And now please close that thread.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 01:02

Let's stay cool, you don't win your fight for better sound by having the thread closed because someone may take offense (of/on ?)the way you say it.

That's why I'm done ranting. I drove the others and they all sound great but I decided to get off my Xbox for a while. Like I said, I'm a hurt fan.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 01:02
You don't know that. The GT3R hasn't been touched yet so this thread should stay open. No reason to close it.

Raklodder
06-03-2018, 01:11
I took the car for a spin at Le Mans to check out the sound and it almost felt powerless during mid to high revs (you can clearly hear a loop...) and it didn't appear to have the famous whine.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 01:12
I took the car for a spin at Le Mans to check out the sound and it almost felt powerless during mid to high revs (you can clearly hear a loop...) and it didn't appear to have the famous whine.

Thanks for your input...

Sampo
06-03-2018, 01:16
The replay sound with gt3 r sounds different from the sound when you're driving. Same for the rsr. The rsr sound when driving is also worse than the gt3 r.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 01:22
The replay sound with gt3 r sounds different from the sound when you're driving. Same for the rsr. The rsr sound when driving is also worse than the gt3 r.

I agree. Surprisingly enough, the GT3R sounds much better than the RSR... Mods please don't close this thread, it needs to be looked at.

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 01:27
It does sound better because it is used within its limits. The RSR uses it out of pitch and timbre, plus it revs higher than designed to probably.
And it lacks background noises. (since whine is not independent from engine volume)

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 01:32
It does sound better because it is used within its limits. The RSR uses it out of pitch and timbre, plus it revs higher than designed to probably.
And it lacks background noises. (since whine is not independent from engine volume)

It's missing the actual power noise with the car. When you downshift you should hear pure power inside it but sadly there is nothing... Forza 7 has a lot of bad sounds but their RSR in the cockpit you can really hear the power when you downshift and accelerating.

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 01:39
I tried not to downshift too soon to be honest, that pitch and loop are killing my ears and it's not a figure of speech, I can't bear to hear it.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 01:41
I tried not to downshift too soon to be honest, that pitch and loop are killing my ears and it's not a figure of speech, I can't bear to hear it.

I just don't use it anymore. Probably never will again unless they change it. My most anticipated car I waited for a long time to use in my favorite racing game and now I don't even want to use it...

sigurd
06-03-2018, 02:02
Just watched a video.... I was chomping at the bit to get the new pack for this car but yikes that’s pretty bad. Sounds 500000000x better in Assetto

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 02:03
Raklodder I saw your review on steam haha. I won't say if it's good or bad.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 02:08
Just watched a video.... I was chomping at the bit to get the new pack for this car but yikes that’s pretty bad. Sounds 500000000x better in Assetto

In order from best to worst in cockpit:
AC
Forza 7
GTS
Any other game that has the 2017 RSR
PC2

fbetes
06-03-2018, 02:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cQslMgaE9qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=THfgUk95dqA

So much differences?

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 02:18
Just drove the ford GT GTE and asked myself "How can they get that car so right then butcher this one ?"

I hope they showcase any new sound they plan on, wouldn't want them to "improve" the sound too much like they just did... Someone on twitter surely misread "improve" for "change a bit, still the same base sound" when answering "yes we did".

No one must have sampled it during prod because Bethoveen could have told you it sounded off, let alone broken.

Roushman624
06-03-2018, 02:36
Just drove the ford GT GTE and asked myself "How can they get that car so right then butcher this one ?"

I hope they showcase any new sound they plan on, wouldn't want them to "improve" the sound too much like they just did... Someone on twitter surely misread "improve" for "change a bit, still the same base sound" when answering "yes we did".

No one must have sampled it during prod because Bethoveen could have told you it sounded off, let alone broken.
To be honest and this isn't meant to be an offense to SMS, but if I was Porsche I wouldn't have allowed them to use my car if it sounded this bad. They said they improved the sound but I have no idea where the "improved" sound is. Maybe it's taking a vacation and once it sees nobody is driving the car because of his evil brother maybe he will come back.

Mahjik
06-03-2018, 02:39
To be honest and this isn't meant to be an offense to SMS, but if I was Porsche I wouldn't have allowed them to use my car if it sounded this bad.

I will open this thread back up in a while, but any more comments like this and people will be leaving this forum.

ShimonART
06-03-2018, 12:22
watched the videos, sounds fine to me.

demand34
06-03-2018, 12:36
Must suffer from some audition problem myself, but I've watched those two videos too and both sound pretty similar to me.

Ofnir4
06-03-2018, 12:40
watched the videos, sounds fine to me.

Something is not working in your ears then, even a dev said they "messed it up".

On a more general sound design topic, why is the transmission whine not controlled by the "general car sound" slider, that according to its description "controls transmission, suspensions, broken components etc" ?
We should have the option to turn down the engine in order to have relatively more whine, but it seem that whine is just an effect added to the engine when in certain views. (cockpit, helmet and the new cockpit TV cam)

morpwr
06-03-2018, 12:43
Must suffer from some audition problem myself, but I've watched those two videos too and both sound pretty similar to me.

The pitch of the exhaust is a little off in the pcars one but the transmission noise is pretty similar maybe slightly quieter in pcars but its close. Not enough id be complaining though.

OddTimer
06-03-2018, 12:45
It will be improved in the next patch, confirmed by SMS in the DLC thread.

CastrolGT
06-03-2018, 13:32
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cQslMgaE9qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=THfgUk95dqA

So much differences?

you're comparing the New exhaust one at Le Mans against the old exhaust version in PC2. use this video for the comparison:

https://youtu.be/rvnxJXNdhHU

onboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr0xHz-nK0c

Konan
06-03-2018, 13:46
For those who haven't seen yet:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61628-DLC-Porsche-Legends&p=1485882&viewfull=1#post1485882

Sjonnie1989
06-03-2018, 14:14
Think it doesn't sound too bad, but it does seem to lack the mechanical feel in the sound that the actual RSR does have.

Besides that, I think that increasing the volume the car creates would help a lot. Looking at this video of GTE at Spa (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LatTI-9BOHg&t=1m01s) -> I am hearing primarily the BMW/Aston V8's whereas in Le Mans footage you can hear the Porsche coming from very far away. So upping the volume of the engine would already be quite a win I think.

EDIT: Example of the sheer noise (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsDoax8qUVM&t=5m50s) the RSR can make. (this is what I mean with increasing volume, it should make you deaf :D).

Also; If you think the sound of a your long awaited/favorite car is ugly, make sure that your messages/efforts to improve it don't sound ugly as well! Because in that way both receiving party's (paying customer and Dev's) are equally mad at what they hear. In other words; Reap what you sow! (Or an even better one while googling if this was an appropriate saying; "We sow in one season, we reap in another" -> Give good feedback, receive good content in a patch!)

SheRoN
06-03-2018, 14:22
Look at the title of the onboard video "Porsche 911 RSR 2017 Pure sound Onboard"
It's the 2017 version with mid engine + new exhaust ;)

For the sound of the 2017 RSR in the game, yes it's not very good but I think we're complaining a little too much. It's not good as the 488 gte or the Ford GT GTE in game but it's acceptable. Obsviously if the devs want to improve the sound it will be perfect :D

CastrolGT
06-03-2018, 14:40
Look at the title of the onboard video "Porsche 911 RSR 2017 Pure sound Onboard"
It's the 2017 version with mid engine + new exhaust ;)

For the sound of the 2017 RSR in the game, yes it's not very good but I think we're complaining a little too much. It's not good as the 488 gte or the Ford GT GTE in game but it's acceptable. Obsviously if the devs want to improve the sound it will be perfect :D

look at the titles of the videos I posted "Mid-Engine Porsche 911 RSR 2017 sound" and "Porsche 911 RSR 2017 Onboard". those are the Pre-Le Mans with the 2 separate exhausts exit. just like the one in the game. so, those should be the sounds we should get from the start. if the car was a dual centered exhaust like the real one since Le Mans, then yes, the sounds are indeed close. but that's not the case :)

Mike1304
06-03-2018, 14:53
Quit defending them if you know something is bad! Tell it like it is!
As a paying customer I have my right to have answers as to why I waited 6 months for a car to sound just like the GT3R which they know is bad. How can you write this entire article about having such a passion for Porsche and then let your car sound like this? The cockpit lights don't even work properly!

First world problems...

WvAllwheelDrive
07-03-2018, 12:38
Part of the sound it that you are comparing the load Le Mans exhaust to the testing and pre-Le Mans exhaust that is on the car in the game.

Early Exhaust: wide nearly the edge of the diffuser, also duel mufflers that cannot be seen

Le Mans and after exhaust: center exit, single muffler unseen.

LMGTP
07-03-2018, 12:49
To be honest and this isn't meant to be an offense to SMS, but if I was Porsche I wouldn't have allowed them to use my car if it sounded this bad. They said they improved the sound but I have no idea where the "improved" sound is. Maybe it's taking a vacation and once it sees nobody is driving the car because of his evil brother maybe he will come back.

Car sounds come with hits and misses. SMS may have messed up not every racing game will get the sounds right. PGR4 had excellent car sounds but some also sounded crap. GT Sport also has improved car sounds some sound good the other sound crap. Its normal really.

As long as SMS fix it up it should all be good. Project Cars 2 has excellent car sounds that Mclaren F1 GTR and Toyota Gtone are music to my ears especially how accurate the sound is.

Forza 7 in my opinion has the worst car sounds in a racing game. Compare Forza 4 and 7 you will literally see the difference in car spund quality.

headder
07-03-2018, 13:56
First world problems...

Unfortunately he has right... I pay I demand. If the DLC adds Porsche, it should sound like the Porsche. Still the RSR sounds better than GT3 R which has unrealistic sound totally.

banner77amc
07-03-2018, 14:00
Part of the sound it that you are comparing the load Le Mans exhaust to the testing and pre-Le Mans exhaust that is on the car in the game.

Early Exhaust: wide nearly the edge of the diffuser, also duel mufflers that cannot be seen

Le Mans and after exhaust: center exit, single muffler unseen.

I talked with one of my friends that is a trackside photo/videographer and he did feel the sound of the car was closer to the most recent sounds outside of the car. He said he couldn't comment on the interior sound being off but that in other racing Porsches sometimes the engine inside the car will sound deadened or oddly toned. It depends on how the race team set up behind the driver.

Konan
07-03-2018, 14:01
... I pay I demand. .

Invincible
07-03-2018, 14:09
Unfortunately he has right... I pay I demand. If the DLC adds Porsche, it should sound like the Porsche. Still the RSR sounds better than GT3 R which has unrealistic sound totally.

If a product you buy involves some sort of artistic freedom, you don't have any right to demand it to be the way YOU want it. Geez.... just because you bought a DLC, you don't own the company.
If SMS would say: No, thats how we wanted it to be - well then: Accept it or leave. Luckily for you, they acknowledged it and will work on the sound.

But when I read "Demand".... Lucky for you that Konan is so lenient.

Raklodder
07-03-2018, 14:12
The on board audio has already been acknowledged by the devs and will get a proper fix.

headder
07-03-2018, 14:21

I agree. That had to be rude. Because it was not a free DLC :)

If a product you buy involves some sort of artistic freedom, you don't have any right to demand it to be the way YOU want it. Geez.... just because you bought a DLC, you don't own the company.
If SMS would says: No, thats how we wanted it to be - well then: Accept it or leave.

Not really. Because the DLC doesn't contain fictional RUF RSR 2017, but the real model of 911 RSR GTE, so it should sound like the real one. The logic says it should be done in that way.

All I want to say is that, I buy DLC with a replica of true car so why it sounds like a lanmower? How is this possible that has been released in this form?

Of course, for software developers it can be offensive...

I work as a SQL Application Administrator and Database Developer, people pay me for a job, and I can't imagine to do something partially and then ask for a money.

Konan
07-03-2018, 14:27

Not really. Because the DLC doesn't contain fictional RUF RSR 2017, but the real model of 911 RSR GTE, so it should sound like the real one. The logic says it should be done in that way.

All I want to say is that, I buy DLC with a replica of true car so why it sounds like a lanmower? How is this possible that has been released in this form?

Of course, for software developers it can be offensive, but on daily basis I am SQL App Administrator and DBA Developer. People pay me for a job, and I can't imagine to do something partially and then ask for a money.

What is offensive about it is that you posted what you did after i pointed you to the apology Andy G made about the sound being off...
What's the point in saying "i demand" when it was already confirmed to getting fixed in a future patch?

Ofnir4
07-03-2018, 14:33

Of course, for software developers it can be offensive, but on daily basis I am SQL App Administrator and DBA Developer. People pay me for a job, and I can't imagine to do something partially and then ask for a money.

"The sound is bad. Also I paid" That is greeeeeaaat feedback.
If I told you "the query thingy doesn't do stuff." would that help ?

If you have valid inputs or good suggestions to improve the sound, say it, someone might read it and take it into consideration.

I'll start : The cockpit sound lacks transition whine, is too piercing compared to onboard from it's first race at daytona (even with audio recording). It also lacks "power surge" on downshifts and overall the pitch is too high at high rpm (above 7000).
There you go, good feedback, your turn.

headder
07-03-2018, 14:46
What is offensive about it is that you posted what you did after i pointed you to the apology Andy G made about the sound being off...
What's the point in saying "i demand" when it was already confirmed to getting fixed in a future patch?
The point Dear Konan is kinda simple. I didn't pay for a BETA DLC. Now you should understand my point.
Of course I am happy that it is going to be fixed, but such a shame that the DLC was released uncomplete/bugged. It should never happen in my opinion.

"The sound is bad. Also I paid" That is greeeeeaaat feedback.
If I told you "the query thingy doesn't do stuff." would that help ?
Never had a such situation. I never released anything that was not working as described by a client. I always do dozens of test before I make something public.

"I'll start : The cockpit sound lacks transition whine, is too piercing compared to onboard from it's first race at daytona (even with audio recording). It also lacks "power surge" on downshifts and overall the pitch is too high a high rpm (above 7000).
There you go, good feedback, your turn.

My feedback? The sound doesn't really remind me the real one at all, it's too mechanical and artificial. The missing trasmision whine is the most unforgettable error I could imagine.
In my opinion the sound is out of sync above 6000rpm. However I do like the sound of revlimiter once the engine hits it's limits. However without the transmision whine, it lacks of power.

PS. For those who may think that I am trying to be rude, offensive, angry over the SMS and whole Project Cars 2 product.
I am not, I am an IT person, so it means that I am against releasing something that has not been properly done or tested.

Below is my personal opinion posted on R&D, I was kinda amazed yesterday, how the game changed in a really amazing and positive way:

I played just the RSR GTE 2017 after few months of innactivity... But what the hell just happened to pCars2? After few tests of RSR (bad sound, but the rest is just superb).
I went onto the Nurburgring 24H with GT3 cars and I was amazed by the car feeling, tire model, immersion. Even AI which was like taken from Destruction Derby, now was calm, fast and competitive.
Did I miss something? The GT3/GTE cars are just so realistic (as far as I know from onboards), just wow.... Ithink pCars 2 istotally underrated sim.
I wish to play some 1-2hour endurance race against real people. The immersion is just superb right know.

rich1e I
07-03-2018, 14:56
There's a saying that if you want to be king as a customer you should also behave like one. Just terrible this kind of arrogance. We should appreciate that we have the opportunity to get 'live' feedback from people who are currently working on the game, and the fact that the head of development has logged in and admitted it's not perfect (direct quote:"We messed it up") deserves massive respect for the honesty.
Actually from an entrepreneur's and economic point of view customers can only buy or not buy a product. There's no way you get any feedback on things customers would like to be changed. Try getting in touch with Adidas, Nike or Microsoft and try criticising their product. You'll be able to hear their loud laughing from over the pond.
Constructive criticism is without a doubt something any developer can benefit from and surely things HAVE TO be addressed where they need to be addressed, but this "I'm a paying customer and I'm always right" kind of behavior is just plain stupid and lacking of any respect.

Invincible
07-03-2018, 15:00
The point Dear Konan is kinda simple. I didn't pay for a BETA DLC. Now you should understand my point.
Of course I am happy that it is going to be fixed, but such a shame that the DLC was released uncomplete/bugged. It should never happen in my opinion.

It shouldn't yet it does sometimes. A car also should not break down, yet they do. Some more, some less.

My feedback? The sound doesn't really remind me the real one at all, it's too mechanical and artificial. [...]
In my opinion the sound is out of sync above 6000rpm. However I do like the sound of revlimiter once the engine hits it's limits. However without the transmision whine, it lacks of power.

I'd almost say "well done"...

...if it weren't for
The missing trasmision whine is the most unforgettable error I could imagine.

Really? The "Most unforgettable error I can imagine"?! That's something I'd say if people would die because some company forgot to update their life-saving software. But definitely not for a sound that is off on a DLC for a racing game.

RoccoTTS
07-03-2018, 15:00

There's one thing you have to keep in mind : WE (you, me, every member of SMS,...) are all human beings and we all make mistakes.

John Hargreaves
07-03-2018, 15:10
Some people must have spent more of the last 24 hours complaining on this forum than actually playing the new DLC. I think complaining on the internet has actually become a new type of computer game genre. Surely the point has been made by now so wouldn't it be better to go play the game and find something that you like about it?

maxx69
07-03-2018, 15:21
There's more whining in this thread than in the real life 911rsr transmission :rolleyes:

Fight-Test
07-03-2018, 15:37
Roushman out and headder shows up. I'm like Jerry, I always break even.

CanAmfan
07-03-2018, 15:46
My 2 cents worth. I have not yet had the chance to try any of the AMAZING cars in this pack and cannot yet speak on the accuracy of the RSR but I have heard the 911 RSR IRL at the IMSA race at Road America last year and can testify it was the loudest most high pitched sounding car on the track at full throttle. Standing trackside that car at full chat will make your ears bleed, LOL. I cannot wait to try the car in game to hear for myself how it sounds. I'm am sure any bugs or things that are incorrect in the game will be addressed if possible.
We just need patience. It's just a video game. Thanks to SMS for the effort in making a great game even better.

Ofnir4
07-03-2018, 16:01
What you heard was the new exhaust, heard from the outside. The main point here is the cockpit sound.

Sum Dixon-Ear
07-03-2018, 16:01
Some people must have spent more of the last 24 hours complaining on this forum than actually playing the new DLC. I think complaining on the internet has actually become a new type of computer game genre. Surely the point has been made by now so wouldn't it be better to go play the game and find something that you like about it?

Endless complaining is utterly pitiful... but complaining about endless complaining is really something else... I hate seeing people complaining about people complaining.

Now I'm complaining about people complaining about people complaining. :cool:

Mad Al
07-03-2018, 16:04
I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating ....

Konan
07-03-2018, 16:09
I've told you a million times, stop exaggerating ....

RacingAtHome
07-03-2018, 16:40
Endless complaining is utterly pitiful... but complaining about endless complaining is really something else... I hate seeing people complaining about people complaining.

Now I'm complaining about people complaining about people complaining. :cool:

I really hate people who complain about people complaining about people complaining. Nothing makes me more annoyed in any given week!

cpcdem
07-03-2018, 16:55
I didn't pay for a BETA DLC. Now you should understand my point.

Ideally yes, but if that was being always strictly followed, then MS for example should had never ever released any of the Windows versions they have released so far..And that applies to every single piece of software that has ever been created that has any kind of complexity (not speaking of the enormous complications of creating something like PCARS), including all my software and IMHO including yours, which you should admit instead of saying

Never had a such situation. I never released anything that was not working as described by a client. I always do dozens of test before I make something public.

Mad Al
07-03-2018, 19:33

I don't wish to denigrate your job, but try and get a sense of perspective, working on major projects is not a couple of dozen tests, it's thousands. Smaller scope means easier testing as less test cases are required to cover all possibilities, to regression test loading a single car to a single track.. how many tests are required to make sure it works for every combination of car and track ?

Then add for every livery of each car, for every season on every track, for every type of tyre (as they have different textures in many cases), day, night, all weather types.... etc. etc. etc.

Not to mention that for each test, it's has to be run against three platforms.

Invincible
07-03-2018, 19:43
I don't wish to denigrate your job, but try and get a sense of perspective, working on major projects is not a couple of dozen tests, it's thousands. Smaller scope means easier testing as less test cases are required to cover all possibilities, to regression test loading a single car to a single track.. how many tests are required to make sure it works for every combination of car and track ?

Then add for every livery of each car, for every season on every track, for every type of tyre (as they have different textures in many cases), day, night, all weather types.... etc. etc. etc.

And even then there still might be the odd one out that only appears after a certain sequence or with certain hardware/peripherals connected

MaXyM
07-03-2018, 20:40

At first: there is something like "automated tests". Then, once you define all combinations (and likely adding subsequent ones later) you can perform tests again and again. Automatically. Not being afraid about mistakes (which usually are a human factor)
At second: small projects, needs less testing (because of less features) therefore requires smaller QA team. Big projects, with a lot of features and their combinations, require big enough QA team to provide quality next to quantity. As simply as this.

To make it clear: it's not an attempt to learn SMS how to do their job. It's reasoning to your statement which lacks of consistency. You (and not only you) too often use argument about complexity of the project, forgetting that every project requires resources properly scaled to mentioned complexity.

RoccoTTS
07-03-2018, 20:56
Does this really matter ?

They made a mistake, they apologized and they are going to solve it.

Now move on.

headder
07-03-2018, 22:35

Of course, it's not a fair comparison. However this is not the first time, that the something was done in my opinion in 70% or just badly. For example just go back for a first days of PC2, it was an nightmare everywhere. Complaints over complaints. Now the game it's just almost top notch.

But it would be just great, not to have an opportunity to whine about something, e.g. for sounds, and have complete package without an errors.

This is my point.

Previously I never wrote anything bad, but this time I was really pissed off. Because that was not the first that something went wrong with PC2 :)

Konan
07-03-2018, 23:12
But it would be just great, not to have an opportunity to whine about something

But that's just the point...having the opportunity doesn't mean you have to act upon it too...
I have the opportunity to drive over people once i get into my car but....
It's all about choices...which ones you make define your character.

Cladandadum
07-03-2018, 23:24
It's all about choices...which ones you make define your character.

Obi Wan? Is it really you?

Konan
07-03-2018, 23:26

I change into a totally different personality after midnight...:p

Sum Dixon-Ear
07-03-2018, 23:27

With a 'K' on the end... for Konan... obviously. :D

Konan
07-03-2018, 23:30

Cladandadum
07-03-2018, 23:33
Now, if I remember correctly, that's the scene where old Ben is sat in the 911 RSR, space style. The engine pitch was a little high for my liking.

Tank621
07-03-2018, 23:53
I change into a totally different personality after midnight...:p

Yeah he becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Konan
08-03-2018, 00:03
Yeah he becomes more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Well obviously...since that's the moment the wife goes to sleep...:p

banner77amc
08-03-2018, 14:36
Well obviously...since that's the moment the wife goes to sleep...:p

You and me both bwahahaha