PDA

View Full Version : I need a crash course in tire heat

PUGS
06-03-2018, 22:32
Hi all,

I am in need of a crash course on how hot/cold tires should or should not be in PC2. I typically just download setups from other users online before racing but I have been seeing a lot of comments on the forums and on reddit about tire heat. Here are my pressing questions and feel free to add anything else you think is important.

1) How do I know what the optimal tire temp is at? Is it by car class? Does it vary from car to car?
2) I have seen comments from people who say they will change their tires based on the track temperature. How do you know the track temp and how do you react to it?

Cheers,
Pugs

kevin kirk
06-03-2018, 22:57
I can only speak for gt and lmp cars 80 and below is starting to tip over to being cold. 100 and over is getting into the hot side. Usually for me it ends up being hard tires in the day with sometimes using soft tires at night.I mostly run summer races just to make it more simple with that being the case. Note i run accelerated tire wear. If you cant see the numbers inside the car the speed display with the tire wear indicator shows cold as blue tires, red as hot tires,green as good temp tires.

hkraft300
06-03-2018, 23:25
>85℃ tire temp switch to hard tires.
<85℃ tire temp switch to soft tires.

At high temps the soft tires wear faster, so keep that in mind for endurance races.

kevin kirk
07-03-2018, 01:31
>85℃ tire temp switch to hard tires.
<85℃ tire temp switch to soft tires.

At high temps the soft tires wear faster, so keep that in mind for endurance races.

dont you need some kind of window or average in that?

DECATUR PLAYA
07-03-2018, 05:22
Learn to read your on track psi. I dont know how your hud is set but the way mine is set I can see all four tires and the psi of each tire as I race. When you pull out for qualifying or practice the tires will be cold and have low psi as you leave the pits(slick). Over the course of you outlap you will see the tires bulid heat which results in more pressure(more psi). As the tires build heat and pressure they start to build grip eventually building toward optimal grip and pressure. Learning to read your on track psi can go along ways towards fully understanding the tires. Just seeing the tires go from cold(blue) to warm(green) will teach you a lot.

Edit: Races start with warm tires completely different behaviour from qualifying or practice.

hkraft300
07-03-2018, 07:26
dont you need some kind of window or average in that?

That's your window. Above 90℃ the soft tires get slippery.
Hard tires start to fall off >~110℃ in patch 3 but it was still manageable. I haven't had the tires so hot since patch 4.

Also what Decatur said: keep it in the pressure window as per Ringley's post you'll be right.

Richie Padalino
07-03-2018, 07:43
I haven't had the tires so hot since patch 4.

Would you say the heat in tyres has been reduced by the actual patch then?

Is this now 'correct'? Or was it more 'correct' pre patch 4.0?

hkraft300
07-03-2018, 11:12
Would you say the heat in tyres has been reduced by the actual patch then?

Sort of. Soft tires don't overheat so easy on a hot track (50℃ Imola!). They've shifted it's working range up higher.
I think they've made subtle changes to the hard tire now. They don't like being cold at all (<80℃ tire temp) since patch 4.

Have a search through Jussi's recent posts. He posted good info on patch 4 tires.

DECATUR PLAYA
07-03-2018, 16:20
Sort of. Soft tires don't overheat so easy on a hot track (50℃ Imola!). They've shifted it's working range up higher.
I think they've made subtle changes to the hard tire now. They don't like being cold at all (<80℃ tire temp) since patch 4.

Have a search through Jussi's recent posts. He posted good info on patch 4 tires.

Is there a link for the new tire info.

beetes_juice
07-03-2018, 16:45
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61399-Soft-or-hard-that-is-the-question&p=1482399#post1482399

DECATUR PLAYA
08-03-2018, 04:15
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?61399-Soft-or-hard-that-is-the-question&p=1482399#post1482399

Thanks