PDA

View Full Version : Game is Excellent. Sound, weakest feature.

Foofer37
09-03-2018, 20:15
I love PCars2. I have since getting it about 2 months after launch. So must in the game is so well done. The sounds? Not so much. To me, if the sounds were really worked on and improved, the whole experience would have no equal. Here's hoping a lot of work is done in this area. It would really make for a 'Total Package' experience.

Atak Kat
09-03-2018, 20:51
I have read so many posts about this, and honestly, I don't get it.

I like the sounds, quite a lot. Given, I usually am using the GT3 cars, so maybe I'm not getting the full understanding. But in cockpit view, I find the sounds through the headphones quite good. Actually, I used to race in bonnet view and when I tried the cockpit view, with headphones, the sound is one of the main reasons why I switched to cockpit view (now, I also see the other benefits to cockpit view, but the reason I switched really was the sound)

So maybe it could be even better. But I am not complaining. I think it's awesome. At least with headphones....

Barmydoughnut24
09-03-2018, 20:57
I have to agree, personally i am also very happy with the sounds. I will often run the sound through my tv monitor, but occasionally i will use my headphones and the immersion multiples 100 times over. If they are going to improve the sound on certain cars, i cant imagine how good this game can get. Those classic cars alone make this game worthwhile.
The one thing i do hope for though is in the le mans pack, if we get those 2016 p1 hybrids, is that the electric whine of the recovery systems are much louder. After the release on iracing, that is what i would really be excited for as the r18 and 919 in iracing have some of the best sounds ive heard in a sim ever.

LibranRabbit
09-03-2018, 21:03
I have real active studio monitors in 5x channel config and in car audio is lacking in db. Compared to 4 other top rated racing sims, the sound lacks volume and punch, a little vanilla. The sim is brilliant, but lacks volume.

Brainbug
09-03-2018, 21:04
Any specific sound you do not like? Inside car or outside?

I like the overall sound very much. Also some cars do sound great inside, well, some maybe sound not so great. Ferrari 488 GT3 for example i do not drive because of the incar sound.

And ya, me also on headphones, oculus rift one.

Foofer37
09-03-2018, 21:20
Great. Leave them as is. Thanks

Pekka Salminen
09-03-2018, 21:29
Most of the cars are good, but some are unrealistic or not that good. Even in the GT3, Nissan and McLaren have wrong sounds. I understand that recording every car is not feasible with such big car list, but for example both the Nissan GTR GT3 and McLaren 650S GT3 could be improved by using existing sounds from other cars (Renault RS01 for Nissan and McLaren P1 for 650S GT3) and make them more realistic.

To me, the sound department have too much variance in quality; some cars sounds amazing/realistic while others not so much.

Fight-Test
09-03-2018, 21:33
I have real active studio monitors in 5x channel config and in car audio is lacking in db. Compared to 4 other top rated racing sims, the sound lacks volume and punch, a little vanilla. The sim is brilliant, but lacks volume.

I agree with this. I use a mini mixer and crank the bass and treble up on the audio channel from game and turn down all the in game sliders to about 70 except car at 100. This gives it the bigger sound that is missing default. Also some cars have low volume and some have some issues in the sound itself like the BMW gt3 and gte still in high rpm and low gears. The mix overall is kinda waek and lacks any type of big feel by default but you can get it sounding really good but in my case needed a mini mixer to do so. It's not bad though just needs a little balancing or boost to the db like you said. For most part sounds themselves are good if just a little weak.

Jussi Karjalainen
09-03-2018, 21:36
I have real active studio monitors in 5x channel config and in car audio is lacking in db.That's odd, I have to bring the master volume down to 5 and the engine volume down to 50 to not get my ears blown away. =/

HoiHman
09-03-2018, 21:45
Some cars sound great, but (sadly) there are also cars that are so quiet that the volume of the other cars on track is louder. There's a bunch of cars that i love for their driving experience, but i do not drive because the onboard sound is awefull.

For example the onboard of the Porsche 911 GT1-9

( i race in VR)

skcusIHC
09-03-2018, 22:10
I'm generally happy with the sound, but I think there is definitely room for improvement. I use open back Sennheiser headphones ran through a Schiit Modi Uber DAC and a Schiit Magni Uber amp.

One thing I've noticed about PC2 is that you can watch a series of YouTube videos of racing sims with your eyes closed... and based on sound alone, you can identify which video is PC2. In my opinion, it's not quite as easy to identify other sims based on sound alone. I'm not sure that's a good thing. PC2 has a very distinct sound compared to everyone else.

Jezza819
09-03-2018, 22:17
That's odd, I have to bring the master volume down to 5 and the engine volume down to 50 to not get my ears blown away. =/

I don't use headphones I just run through my tv set. My normal tv volume is 12. In my apartment that's plenty for me to hear it anywhere in my living room. For PC1 and for AC I had to turn it down to 10 to keep from waking my neighbors late at night. With PC2 I've had to turn it up to 20 and there cars that still sound too low.

sp3ctor
10-03-2018, 06:03
Personally, I think the 650 GT3 is off just based on actually driving a 650s. The 911 RSR is way off. That car was painfully loud. It's not game breaking but it would be rad if they re-evaluated the sounds.

David Slute
10-03-2018, 07:28
Some valid points....for me the sounds are not terrible by any means but there is room for improvements....like under carriage noise from going of track is almost non existent also several vehicals are missing the transmission whine and other noticeable sounds like the annoying hydrolic pump sound in the audi r8 gt3.

ATSS
10-03-2018, 07:42
Most of the car sound are really well made, some of them not, but its still a very good sounding game.
The outside sounds are a bit weird sometimes when u following an another car, and the worst is the replay, but its still ok-ish.

Silraed
10-03-2018, 08:15
The sounds get the job done and I have no real complaints. Some cars are significantly better than others though and I wouldn't call it the best sounding racing game out there.

Barmydoughnut24
10-03-2018, 09:24
Some valid points....for me the sounds are not terrible by any means but there is room for improvements....like under carriage noise from going of track is almost non existent also several vehicals are missing the transmission whine and other noticeable sounds like the annoying hydrolic pump sound in the audi r8 gt3.

Thats a good point. When i drive the 917 in AC, you can here the squeaking of the suspension over bumps and kerbs, and it it is a bit lacking in PC2. Its those type of sounds that i really like and give a bit more to the immersion of the type of track you are on. It doesnt really have as big affect from car to car, but the environment sounds help to distinguish the variations in track surfaces.

Ixoye56
10-03-2018, 09:53

I agree and really hope this will be fixed soon....

ELAhrairah
10-03-2018, 09:57
Personally, I think the 650 GT3 is off just based on actually driving a 650s. The 911 RSR is way off. That car was painfully loud. It's not game breaking but it would be rad if they re-evaluated the sounds.

Its the 2016 rsr and it isnt as loud as the mid engined 2017 version. From what i've heared.

ELAhrairah
10-03-2018, 09:59
I miss the detail, shifting sound and a hissing turbo and other detail. The 2014 audi r18 e-tron is a car that painfully shows this as the engine is a turbo diesel and not loud you should hear a lot of detail but.. You dont really..

Raklodder
10-03-2018, 10:26
I've already said my piece about my favorite Porsche (may have to change the volume a couple of times) but beyond that the audio is fine for the most part.

Jezza819
10-03-2018, 19:42
Is the Aston Martin GT4 supposed to be that quiet inside the cockpit?

rosko
10-03-2018, 20:29
Thats a good point. When i drive the 917 in AC, you can here the squeaking of the suspension over bumps and kerbs, and it it is a bit lacking in PC2. Its those type of sounds that i really like and give a bit more to the immersion of the type of track you are on. It doesnt really have as big affect from car to car, but the environment sounds help to distinguish the variations in track surfaces.

I think Ac has pretty poor internal sounds & the FX are not very convincing imo. Replay sounds is really poor in pcars2 for most cars but seeing as replays are just blurry in vr anyway i'm not that fussed for now. Internal sounds are good mostly but some cars sounds wrong, like the Carrera GT sounds dull in the game nothing like the real thing.

Flat-6
10-03-2018, 20:46
I don't have a problem with the sounds of the game. I think the sounds in the game are pretty damn good. I do use headphones so perhaps I hear things differently on the whole.

CSL-Drive
11-03-2018, 00:34
The only thing I've noticed is that other sims have audi lmp1 generate the kers or hybrid system sounds upon braking, when on pc2 it does not generate that eeeeew electric regeneration sound upon braking. Not sure why, but that's the only thing i personally have so far noticed on sound. I think the sound is great, altho I am not familiar with real life experience, tho assetto corsa has crazy amounts of suspension and chassis movement sound on aggressive tracks like nurburging. I mostly hear that chassis sound in pc2 when driving over big bumps on the inside of the curbs. Not sure about suspension sounds, dont recall hearing it. But racing sound; engine, tire sounds, wind, track ambience, and even distance cars, and passing by cars, pit sound, wall reverb sound, all sound pretty good to me.

OddTimer
11-03-2018, 10:47

This. I don't think it should be that quiet. It sounds more like the mixing needs adjusting.

Keena
11-03-2018, 10:50
I've spent a lot of time adjusting the various sound sliders in audio options. I think the sounds are pretty good. I guess that's what the sound sliders are for. I also use a good set of headphones.

UkHardcore23
11-03-2018, 11:44
I have read so many posts about this, and honestly, I don't get it.

I like the sounds, quite a lot. Given, I usually am using the GT3 cars, so maybe I'm not getting the full understanding. But in cockpit view, I find the sounds through the headphones quite good. Actually, I used to race in bonnet view and when I tried the cockpit view, with headphones, the sound is one of the main reasons why I switched to cockpit view (now, I also see the other benefits to cockpit view, but the reason I switched really was the sound)

So maybe it could be even better. But I am not complaining. I think it's awesome. At least with headphones....

Go on youtube and see how GT3 cars sound in cockpit then play the game and go back and fourth. The sound is a major weak point of PCARS 2

resmania
11-03-2018, 13:27
You can't just compare the Gopro recordings with game audio which I'm pretty sure that it was recorded with high-end equipments.
But I do agree that some of the cars audio balance is little bit off.
Also if you compare the cars that were in the first game with the newer ones, it is pretty obvious that the old ones are lacking richness and fidelity.

UkHardcore23
11-03-2018, 15:43
You can't just compare the Gopro recordings with game audio which I'm pretty sure that it was recorded with high-end equipments.
But I do agree that some of the cars audio balance is little bit off.
Also if you compare the cars that were in the first game with the newer ones, it is pretty obvious that the old ones are lacking richness and fidelity.

if recorded with high end equipment it should sound even better than what we have right now, If Go Pro's can pick up the low sounds below 80hz then surely high end equipment would? Also seems to be a severe lack of transmission whine with PCARS why would high end equipment not pick it up but an average mic in a go pro would?

Also are you sure all cockpit videos are go pro and not decent equipment? I wouldnt bank on that tbh! I would expect many of them are even higher quality than what SMS use as they'l be broadcast on live TV.

Keena
11-03-2018, 15:49
^ good points well made. I have to admit most of my sound sliders are less than 40 but in car sounds including whine at 100 is still unlike the in car audio I've heard. On the face of it, these are good points made by ukhardcore23.

UkHardcore23
11-03-2018, 16:57
^ good points well made. I have to admit most of my sound sliders are less than 40 but in car sounds including whine at 100 is still unlike the in car audio I've heard. On the face of it, these are good points made by ukhardcore23.

Thank you! I do not understand why the sound is so bad in PCARS 2? PCARS 1 had decent sound (not great but certainly good enough 3 year ago) It's like they sacked the lead sound engineer and are using a trainee graphics artist for the sound for PCARS 2

Dont understand why it's so bad. Could the Sound engineer please step forward............................

RoccoTTS
11-03-2018, 17:01
Thank you! I do not understand why the sound is so bad in PCARS 2? PCARS 1 had decent sound (not great but certainly good enough 3 year ago) It's like they sacked the lead sound engineer and are using a trainee graphics artist for the sound for PCARS 2

Dont understand why it's so bad. Could the Sound engineer please step forward............................

There are some cars that could improve, but the overal quality of the sound is not that bad.

UkHardcore23
11-03-2018, 17:09
There are some cars that could improve, but the overal quality of the sound is not that bad.

Please give evidence, PCARS 2 sound v Real sound.

Mahjik
11-03-2018, 17:31
Just a few things to note. Most professional videos (i.e. from pro racing teams) the onboard cameras typically have remote mics for exhaust sound. So what you are hearing in those videos is not exactly what is heard in the cockpit. They do this so they can hear exactly what the engine is doing at specific points in time as the sound in the cockpit is mixed with all other sounds (chassis, suspension, road noise, etc). To prove a point, here my own in-car video using a GoPro (with a "fuzzy" attached to mute the wind noise):

https://youtu.be/TWVjVjJVXXs?t=3m33s

You hear things hitting the bottom of the car. You can hear the suspension (and I can tell you there is more that I hear when driving that is not picked up by the GoPro). Now listen to one of the pro team videos:

https://youtu.be/5YKY0QjHaLY?t=1m1s

You hardly hear anything but the engine. In short, what I'm getting at is you can't really expect these online videos to be exactly what it's like to sit in the cockpit of a real race car. These videos are to help the race teams link up the driver inputs, the car behavior and what the rest of the car is doing (engine/transmission). So comparing YouTube videos to PC2, AC or any other sim isn't really the correct thing to do...

Jezza819
11-03-2018, 17:41

I'm glad you mentioned something about the sliders because I looked at mine last night and I was kind of wondering what everyone else, especially those that think the sound is ok, has theirs set at. Mine are all pegged at 100. If you're not using headphones don't you want everything at full power? Mine didn't start at 100 but I remember the first time I played the game everything was really weak sounding so I maxed it out. But if there's a better idea out there for sound through a tv and no headphones, I'm willing to give it a go.

RaceNut
11-03-2018, 17:44
Clearly, there is some audio polishing yet to be done and it's not uncommon for such tasks to be among the last to be completed in game development. With more content to be released, it may be premature to expect much improvement in the overall audio experience at this point.

A few reasons why this seems pertinent are that the volume level balance is quite far off, both in terms of car vs car and sample volume; in some cars, I have to decrease or increase volume significantly. Replay audio often sounds very muffled or disconnected and some sounds (Road / aero noise for example) may completely dominate engine sounds. Some interior engine samples sound as though they are recordings made from the exhaust and don't compare well with RL cars. All of these things suggest that the audio simply has not received the refinement that it most likely will at some point (I hope). :)

Keena
11-03-2018, 17:46
I'm glad you mentioned something about the sliders because I looked at mine last night and I was kind of wondering what everyone else, especially those that think the sound is ok, has theirs set at. Mine are all pegged at 100. If you're not using headphones don't you want everything at full power? Mine didn't start at 100 but I remember the first time I played the game everything was really weak sounding so I maxed it out. But if there's a better idea out there for sound through a tv and no headphones, I'm willing to give it a go.

I'm not sure about not using headphones, but with headphones I think some adjustment is certainly needed for personal preference stuff like this. Also I don't want to damage my hearing ;) I basically set the sounds to taste then raise or lower the master volume on my headset, then do the same again until I have it right. It may take a few adjustment cycles until I have it how I want without my teeth falling out or my eardrums bleeding.. I'd experiment with your speakers in the same way..

Jussi Karjalainen
11-03-2018, 17:59
Just a few things to note. Most professional videos (i.e. from pro racing teams) the onboard cameras typically have remote mics for exhaust sound. So what you are hearing in those videos is not exactly what is heard in the cockpit. They do this so they can hear exactly what the engine is doing at specific points in time as the sound in the cockpit is mixed with all other sounds (chassis, suspension, road noise, etc). To prove a point, here my own in-car video using a GoPro (with a "fuzzy" attached to mute the wind noise):

You hear things hitting the bottom of the car. You can hear the suspension (and I can tell you there is more that I hear when driving that is not picked up by the GoPro). Now listen to one of the pro team videos:

You hardly hear anything but the engine. In short, what I'm getting at is you can't really expect these online videos to be exactly what it's like to sit in the cockpit of a real race car. These videos are to help the race teams link up the driver inputs, the car behavior and what the rest of the car is doing (engine/transmission). So comparing YouTube videos to PC2, AC or any other sim isn't really the correct thing to do...Another issue with GoPros is that they tend to be mounted to the rollcage or something like that very solidly, and tend to transmit much more gear whine and other mechanical noises than you'd really hear sitting in the driver's seat. I've seen a quite nice video of a racing car being recorded for use in some game, and the sounds depended entirely on the mic type, mic mounting and mic placement.

RoccoTTS
11-03-2018, 17:59
Please give evidence, PCARS 2 sound v Real sound.

There's no need for evidence, because it's just my opinion. Note i didn't say it's perfect, i said it could improve.

UkHardcore23
11-03-2018, 18:02

You hardly hear anything but the engine. In short, what I'm getting at is you can't really expect these online videos to be exactly what it's like to sit in the cockpit of a real race car. These videos are to help the race teams link up the driver inputs, the car behavior and what the rest of the car is doing (engine/transmission). So comparing YouTube videos to PC2, AC or any other sim isn't really the correct thing to do...

Both those video's you hear things hitting the bottom of the car. 4 seconds in you hear it on the second video from your link then many times after but i dont think us complaining about the poor sound are that bothered about missing stones hitting the under carriage.

Tons and tons and TONS of bottom end of sound on the true cockpit video that seems to be missing from the game.

So if this is not the correct thing to do what is? As right now looking at all vids from go pro's to expert mics all seem a million miles away from what PCARS 2 has in game. Do we just take SMS word and ditch all the other evidence we have and proclaim PCARS 2 sounds much better than any other game eal life does not apply?

mister dog
11-03-2018, 18:19
Cockpit sounds are mostly quite good, the new cars especially all have dedicated engine sounds and added personalized samples for wastegates and such which wasn't the case with PC1. What bugs me the most is the one sample that is used for the transmission sound. This has been carried over from the last game and if it is mixed in loud I can't stop noticing it and it breaks my immersion. For example in the new Porsche 908 it is very apparent. Probably won't happen for PC2 but for PC3 I'd really like dedicated transmission samples that mimic how the real counterparts 'whine' instead of the one generic one we've had for the past two games.

That and the sound in replays needs some work too, a lot of cars sound very 'digitized' when they pass by the camera if that makes any sense (can't find the exact word but you hear that it's an old electronic sample for the engine note that is decreased/increased in volume). If you can have fly by's sound like they do in the trailers I'd be one happy camper :).

So to recap, there are still areas for improvement but I believe that PC2 is already a major improvement over the last game.

Jezza819
11-03-2018, 18:42
I'm not sure about not using headphones, but with headphones I think some adjustment is certainly needed for personal preference stuff like this. Also I don't want to damage my hearing ;) I basically set the sounds to taste then raise or lower the master volume on my headset, then do the same again until I have it right. It may take a few adjustment cycles until I have it how I want without my teeth falling out or my eardrums bleeding.. I'd experiment with your speakers in the same way..

I did experiment with it. That's how I figured out I had to try and max everything. Like I said, I think headphones are a completely different area.

ShimonART
11-03-2018, 18:50
some cars sound great but that's probably because they recorded the actual car, the rest is just meh at best.
but i agree the game is excellent and its just the sounds that bother me really, which could of been solved if they could have the option to enable sound mods.

Mahjik
11-03-2018, 19:19
Both those video's you hear things hitting the bottom of the car. 4 seconds in you hear it on the second video from your link then many times after but i dont think us complaining about the poor sound are that bothered about missing stones hitting the under carriage.

Tons and tons and TONS of bottom end of sound on the true cockpit video that seems to be missing from the game.

So if this is not the correct thing to do what is? As right now looking at all vids from go pro's to expert mics all seem a million miles away from what PCARS 2 has in game. Do we just take SMS word and ditch all the other evidence we have and proclaim PCARS 2 sounds much better than any other game eal life does not apply?

I think you are missing the point. There are two main types of sounds people are familiar with that cars make:

Exhaust
Engine

Most people are used to "exhaust" as that's what we normally hear. Street cars have so much sound dampening (and new cars have fake interior noises) that people only know of exhaust sounds. Race cars have no sound dampening. What a driver hears is "engine" and not exhaust. Take a listen as my Honda S2K passes this car during a warm-up session:

https://youtu.be/A410pbL1ZQM?t=5m12s

My interior sound from my previous video sounds nothing like that... That's the difference between engine and exhaust sounds. The reason I bring this up is it goes back to what we've been talking about with the pro racing driver videos. They will use mics in different areas to record for videos rather than "what is in the cockpit". So what you think you should be getting with sound, is not exactly true.

Sound will always be subjective. What you think we should have may not be what SMS thinks. But, I just wanted to convey that there is a difference in sounds and some of this public videos can give a false impression of what it's like to be in the cockpit.

bmanic
11-03-2018, 19:42
Look, one can make all the excuses one wants but the actual FACT is that sound can be measured and looked at in various ways. It is not at all "subjective" how it sounds in the cockpit. Yeah, okay, it is somewhat subjective how a person interprets it once the helmet + ear protection/headphones are taken into account but the technical recording part is absolutely objective. There's no denying that many of the car sounds in the game have some pretty serious technical problems. Some of them probably happened already during the recording session but I suspect most are due to how everything is gain staged within the audio engine (FMOD studio in this case). The general character of pCars 2 sound is distortion. Much more so than most other car games. This was also true for pCars 1. It's this exact thing, distortion, that is the main contrast to something like the universally loved RaceRoom Racing Experience which has extremely pristine audio recordings and very well balanced sound in general. There's no fuzz, fizz nor buzz that feels artificially distorted, while the exact opposite is true for the sounds in pCars 2. It's very easy to see too if you just record the audio output of pCars 2. Virtually every single car sound is heavily clipped in some way. The player can somewhat mitigate this by running the in-game audio sliders at small values and instead compensating at the physical output amplifier.

That's odd, I have to bring the master volume down to 5 and the engine volume down to 50 to not get my ears blown away. =/

It's completely car dependent. There are still cars in the game that are way too low in engine volume (what I'd consider "buggy" low). For instance the Nissan Oreca LMP2 car. Even at full volume for the engine all the other sounds in the game overpower the engine.

Atak Kat
11-03-2018, 20:11
I think there's a lot of interesting points, and the sound overall can be a big part of the immersion we all look to find. Some cars are really fantastic. Others maybe are a bit empty (I haven't found too many of them...honestly)
I read a lot of things about overall sound level or volume, being too low.
I read a lot about the difference between the cars. Some great, others not so great.
It seems to me that a lot of the sounds are there, and quite good. But to get the best result it means that the various sound sliders need to be adjusted car-by-car. Which is annoying and just not practical. I will agree that on some cars I hear the tire screech loud and clear. On others, it's very muted and drowned out. It seems to me that the issue is not really the overall sound quality, but the balancing of them car-by-car so that there is a consistent experience no matter which car you choose.

Ofnir4
11-03-2018, 20:29
Simple question : Why are transmission sounds controled by the engine volume slider and not the general car sound slider ?
Even its description reads it should be the case.

xtro
11-03-2018, 20:47
I'll be happy when games can sound like this https://youtu.be/hWrwloX6H9U

cmd8
11-03-2018, 21:50
if they can include this, i would be so happy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvOAVtVwtME&t=479s

mister dog
11-03-2018, 23:22
Simple question : Why are transmission sounds controled by the engine volume slider and not the general car sound slider ?
Noticed that too I even put the general car volume slider at 0 and it had no effect on transmission sounds.

Daynja
12-03-2018, 05:32
I'll be happy when games can sound like this https://youtu.be/hWrwloX6H9U

When they use 3d binaural audio

https://youtu.be/vZUzArxzcLM?t=1m59s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq7ocxg9ZFY

If games can ever get this real Illl never leave the house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVBeky1ZRl0&t=15s

icebear
12-03-2018, 07:14
i would be curious to know the % of people disapointed by sound who are playing in cockpit mode.
The game want to be realist but i (and maybe many ?) would prefer to have the option to activate the chase camera sound even if playing in cockpit mode.
because it is a game and even if we want realistic physic and view, we can also want porn exhaust sound :)
some people can hate the idea but what is the problem if it is a choice ?

Anyway, i wonder if is possible for a game to have a realistic sound. I had the chance to drive an 991 for a long time and when you press the sport exhaust button, you have this wonderfull bass effect in the cockpit, artificial of course but so gorgeous. Like when you add a subwoofer to your hifi system. I cant imagine what it is in a race car. There is no game in the market giving this feeling, whatever speakers you use unfortunatly.

Hlspwn
12-03-2018, 08:55
I have to agree with the OP and others in that some cars the sound could be improved. Sound is somewhat subjective as it depends on the equipment you are listening on. But without going down that road, lets just think of a car for example.

With Nics current beat the pro challenge we used the Ferrari laFerrari @ monza. As it stands AC also has this car and track. As I was trying to improve my time, I tried it in both sims to see if either could enlighten me to ekk out just a bit more, physics wise there is a difference (let’s not go there), but sound wise I would not expect much of a difference that should be pretty much the same.

But wow it was night and day difference. Of the two the sim that made me feel like I was in a Ferrari purely by sound alone was AC. In PC2 you do not get that Ferrari bark in the midrange. The gear burps or farts as you change sounded to me so more realistic in AC. PC2 was just a bit flat tbh. Used sennheiser headphones.

Keena
12-03-2018, 09:11

Well I've learnt something useful here! I was wondering where the whine went.

ShimonART
12-03-2018, 09:24
wow, porsche and corvette sound so brutal !

UkHardcore23
12-03-2018, 09:38
I think you are missing the point. There are two main types of sounds people are familiar with that cars make:

Exhaust
Engine

Most people are used to "exhaust" as that's what we normally hear. Street cars have so much sound dampening (and new cars have fake interior noises) that people only know of exhaust sounds. Race cars have no sound dampening. What a driver hears is "engine" and not exhaust. Take a listen as my Honda S2K passes this car during a warm-up session:

https://youtu.be/A410pbL1ZQM?t=5m12s

My interior sound from my previous video sounds nothing like that... That's the difference between engine and exhaust sounds. The reason I bring this up is it goes back to what we've been talking about with the pro racing driver videos. They will use mics in different areas to record for videos rather than "what is in the cockpit". So what you think you should be getting with sound, is not exactly true.

Sound will always be subjective. What you think we should have may not be what SMS thinks. But, I just wanted to convey that there is a difference in sounds and some of this public videos can give a false impression of what it's like to be in the cockpit.

Really cracking video! :cool: Problem is it's a road car right? But even in this video you can hear so much low end rumble/noise thats missing from PCARS 2 and the exhaust noise from when you were overtook a few seconds in the video the exhaust is screaming from that little 2000 again something that is missing from PCARS 2 sure it's in a bit but nothing like that. Also from what i've read on alot of race cars the most prominent sound is actually transmission whine rather than the engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=21&v=6EJFD9sdQwA

What i do realise is PCARS 2 is a game and that whine would most likely drive 95% of us insane so it's about trying to get a balance but i do think SMS have got the balance all wrong not just in cockpit but in the full game altogether as it seems to of regressed from the first game. and behind games like AC and RR now.

Pekka Salminen
12-03-2018, 10:15

If you compare videos to real life, you can still observe if the engine sound etc. is accurate. And if the camera/mic is not attached in the car's structures, but in the drivers helmet, you can estimate the relative volumes of different sounds pretty accurately.

For example, there are driver POV videos from Porsche 911 GT3-R, which shows that the strong gearbox whine is heard even when the camera is not mounted in the rollcage. So in that respect, sound balance in Project Cars 2 is wrong.

You can also evaluate the accuracy of the engine sounds from videos. It is clear that for example McLaren 650S and Nissan GTR GT3 just sounds wrong what comes to engine sound itself. And while the 911 GT3-R doesn't sound too bad in lower revs, the higher end of the rev range is quite bad, as pointed out many times (not to mention exterior sounds).

CastrolGT
12-03-2018, 10:22
If you compare videos to real life, you can still observe if the engine sound etc. is accurate. And if the camera/mic is not attached in the car's structures, but in the drivers helmet, you can estimate the relative volumes of different sounds pretty accurately.

For example, there are driver POV videos from Porsche 911 GT3-R, which shows that the strong gearbox whine is heard even when the camera is not mounted in the rollcage. So in that respect, sound balance in Project Cars 2 is wrong.

You can also evaluate the accuracy of the engine sounds from videos. It is clear that for example McLaren 650S and Nissan GTR GT3 just sounds wrong what comes to engine sound itself. And while the 911 GT3-R doesn't sound too bad in lower revs, the higher end of the rev range is quite bad, as pointed out many times (not to mention exterior sounds).

not only the GT-R GT3. the Renault RS-01 also. both should sound almost the same(the renault should sound just a bit softer) since they share the exact same engine but with a slightly different exhaust system. not to mention that the McLaren F1 GTR sounds exactly the same as the BMW V12 LMR which, in reality, isn't the case at all

RaceNut
12-03-2018, 14:25
AC's stock internal sounds are okay in some cases but, there are some more recent ones that are quite good imo. Where AC's audio works really well is in replay's, especially with some of the car's sound mods in place (RSS GT1 mod - for example). Fonsecker's sound mods can also work very nicely in AC.

Something that Sector3 does really well is maximizing the use of broader dynamic range of internal audio by combining throttle application (and RPM's) with increased pitch / tone / volume very effectively; it just provides more intensity and a greater sense of "power" through the audio than most games, imo. I think there's more to it than just the combined aspects at work; it may also mean having reduced volume at lower RPM's and we notice the increase in volume more dramatically as throttle is applied and RPM's increase.

Mahjik
12-03-2018, 15:03
Really cracking video! :cool: Problem is it's a road car right?

The S2000 in that video is a fully gutted and caged race car. The camera car in the video was a track car which at that time, still had a majority of the interior (rear interior was removed for a rollbar).

Also from what i've read on alot of race cars the most prominent sound is actually transmission whine rather than the engine!

It depends on the gears in the transmission. Not all gears make the high pitched "whine" sound people are expecting. Not every race car has transmission whine and the ones that do, will vary as to it's sound level.

That is *if* the mic is attached to the helmet. I can tell you that if you aren't getting some wind noise, the mic is not coming from the helmet camera. That's been my point is that these videos are deceiving at times.

I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be more sound of the transmission, but I'm specifically talking about those who expect to hear their own car's exhaust sound, but from inside the cockpit. The only way that works in real life is if the exhaust exit is in front of the driver seat.

Ofnir4
12-03-2018, 15:31
Well I've learnt something useful here! I was wondering where the whine went.

Some mistake must have been made then forgotten as it's impossible to pick up on if you are not playing with the slider in pretty extreme ways (0 engine and 100 general or the opposite).

I hope it's an easy fix, so people than want more transmission or car sound relative to the engine can get it.

With all the sliders we have it's a shame this not is not working as intended because it's as close to custom made sound mixing as we can have it, just that small mishap.

pferreirag60
12-03-2018, 15:40
Look, one can make all the excuses one wants but the actual FACT is that sound can be measured and looked at in various ways. It is not at all "subjective" how it sounds in the cockpit. Yeah, okay, it is somewhat subjective how a person interprets it once the helmet + ear protection/headphones are taken into account but the technical recording part is absolutely objective. There's no denying that many of the car sounds in the game have some pretty serious technical problems. Some of them probably happened already during the recording session but I suspect most are due to how everything is gain staged within the audio engine (FMOD studio in this case). The general character of pCars 2 sound is distortion. Much more so than most other car games. This was also true for pCars 1. It's this exact thing, distortion, that is the main contrast to something like the universally loved RaceRoom Racing Experience which has extremely pristine audio recordings and very well balanced sound in general. There's no fuzz, fizz nor buzz that feels artificially distorted, while the exact opposite is true for the sounds in pCars 2. It's very easy to see too if you just record the audio output of pCars 2. Virtually every single car sound is heavily clipped in some way. The player can somewhat mitigate this by running the in-game audio sliders at small values and instead compensating at the physical output amplifier.

It's completely car dependent. There are still cars in the game that are way too low in engine volume (what I'd consider "buggy" low). For instance the Nissan Oreca LMP2 car. Even at full volume for the engine all the other sounds in the game overpower the engine.

This should be a sticker!! Because for the first time I read a very good explanation on how I feel the sound in PCars 2 is, Distortion and it seams, small samples in many cars, with a small amplitude in sounds.

Foofer37
12-03-2018, 15:41
In the past, certain "SIMs" were criticized for having cars that sound like vacuum cleaners. Unfortunately, that is what we have here, to some extent.
A lot of "reasons" are given for this, but yet some of the cars do sound like vacuum cleaners. My point is, this really takes away from the immersion. Why let it be this way? Sounds can be improved and really be made to sound like the raging race cars that they are. R3E pulls this off nicely. This CAN be done in PCars2 and I'm simply saying that if this done, this SIM will be complete. The best all around SIM on the market. So, in my book arguing why the sounds are this or that doesn't cut it. Just improve them. Make them the best they can be. If this is a SIM, then it should really give the full effect. You should be convinced that you are in a Porsche 911 RSR hearing the wonderful orchestra of a raging flat-six right behind you. Not your wife saying, "Honey, can you please move your feet, I'm trying to vacuum."

Zaskarspants
12-03-2018, 15:52
I think the game has excellent sound and too many people are missing the bigger picture here.

In my view the many sound adjustment sliders allow you to fashion a sound stage that is immersive and evocative, the sound can be tuned according your own definition of immersive.

In my own case I have engine sounds at about 20, tyres and surfaces 40, collisions 100, ambient stuff 60. You can see I don't enjoy a sound scape dominated by engine sounds but others will have different goals. When I first had the game I had tyre noises higher as I found the tyre / grip sounds very helpful as I learned to drive near the edge.

banner77amc
12-03-2018, 18:03
I compare to other games and I feel that Project Cars 2 with headphones gives more of an aura of each car being different. I can't say that every car makes me feel immersed with its sound but it at least is different with little clicks and whirs and mechanical thuds as gears change differently across the field of vehicles. I can't say that for the other racing titles that I have for the Xbox and PS4.

I say wait until the next iteration of Project Cars to drop and expect it to be even better.

Pekka Salminen
12-03-2018, 18:42
That is *if* the mic is attached to the helmet. I can tell you that if you aren't getting some wind noise, the mic is not coming from the helmet camera. That's been my point is that these videos are deceiving at times.

I'm not suggesting there shouldn't be more sound of the transmission, but I'm specifically talking about those who expect to hear their own car's exhaust sound, but from inside the cockpit. The only way that works in real life is if the exhaust exit is in front of the driver seat.

I'm pretty sure that in most of the helmet view videos, the mic is in the camera. There are plenty of videos driver still hanging in the pits before entering the car, and you are still able to hear sounds from the pitlane. What comes to wind noise, some cars might be so loud, that you wont hear much wind noise either in the video (GT3 and GTE cars).

daspagetwae
12-03-2018, 19:37
I dont understand the complaints about sound either. To me this is one of the best sounding driving games around, same goes for the first game. The level of detail in the sound design is great, being able to hear things like gearbox whine, turbo pops, brakes grinding etc is fantastic in this game, only way i think it could be improved is with some environmental reverb like Codemasters did for the Grid games, and adding in some extra effects for when you drive over rough surfaces or cracks in the tarmac like when you drive over a pot hole irl you hear that horrible, crashing sound go right through your car and you worry you may have buckled a wheel or broke a track rod end, other than that its top notch. Forza also has great sound (i know thats a dirty word around here but bare with me), though not as detailed as this game and its pretty flat and 1 dimensional at times.
If you think the sound is bad in this game...i dont know what to tell you...maybe go and play GT6 or GT5....now THATS some seriously poor sound lol.

rosko
12-03-2018, 20:30
The S2000 in that video is a fully gutted and caged race car. The camera car in the video was a track car which at that time, still had a majority of the interior (rear interior was removed for a rollbar).

It depends on the gears in the transmission. Not all gears make the high pitched "whine" sound people are expecting. Not every race car has transmission whine and the ones that do, will vary as to it's sound level.

what about open top car? I can hear my exhaust in both sports cars i've owned & thus was expecting that in the Porsche Carrera GT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XoVCys2x9I

Something i think they really did do well is the positional audio is i would say better than most, if you have VR you can stick you head next to the engine & sounds exactly in the wright space.

Mahjik
13-03-2018, 02:39
what about open top car? I can hear my exhaust in both sports cars i've owned & thus was expecting that in the Porsche Carrera GT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XoVCys2x9I

You make something loud enough, you'll hear it anywhere. :) Most of the sound though is still what you are getting as it travels through the straight pipes not out the rear (since that is directional). What you hear from the driver's seat will sound different than what someone who is driving behind you hears.

BTW, I'm not suggesting there cannot be improvements to PC2 sounds. So I don't want it to feel like that. I do think people have a distorted view of what is realistic. However, there are people that understand that exhaust sounds are not realistic from cockpits and they don't care. They just want that sound. ;)

lancashirelad
13-03-2018, 04:21
I want all the cars to sound like this :)
I don't care what make or model or where the microphone is positioned:)
https://youtu.be/Gj6F8qVfM7w

sas5320
14-03-2018, 02:20
http://youtu.be/P3sHFMe6MMg

this is the craziest i've "heard"

http://youtu.be/_KK0GCePLr0

APR193
14-03-2018, 16:38

+1. I love the Aston but its so quiet I've stopped using it

RoccoTTS
14-03-2018, 17:03
+1. I love the Aston but its so quiet I've stopped using it

Isn't it better to increase the volume of your tv instead of stop using this car ?

APR193
14-03-2018, 17:22
Isn't it better to increase the volume of your tv instead of stop using this car ?

If it were only that simple haha. I'm using a Turtlebeach headset (banned from playing racing games through the TV as the girlfriend says "the sound makes me want to hurt myself" or something like that). Headset as loud as it will go, master volume in game as loud as it will go and ai volume turned right down and I'm still straining to hear the car.

Gr8_Lakes
14-03-2018, 17:33
As a PS4 user, I've been hoping for a volume increase patch since the beginning. The volume of this game, even when maxxed, isn't loud enough when using USB headsets. I've had several others agree with me, and comparing PCars 2 to any other sim racing title proves that the volume is much lower in PCars 2. I've addressed this issue on GTPlanet with no response from any SMS personnel. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-overall-volume-still-too-low.362365/

RoccoTTS
14-03-2018, 18:07
If it were only that simple haha. I'm using a Turtlebeach headset (banned from playing racing games through the TV as the girlfriend says "the sound makes me want to hurt myself" or something like that). Headset as loud as it will go, master volume in game as loud as it will go and ai volume turned right down and I'm still straining to hear the car.

This only proves i'm lucky because i don't have a girlfriend or wife ;)

Foofer37
14-03-2018, 18:38
As a PS4 user, I've been hoping for a volume increase patch since the beginning. The volume of this game, even when maxxed, isn't loud enough when using USB headsets. I've had several others agree with me, and comparing PCars 2 to any other sim racing title proves that the volume is much lower in PCars 2. I've addressed this issue on GTPlanet with no response from any SMS personnel. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-overall-volume-still-too-low.362365/

No doubt this should be fixed, but.....
You could get(not that you should have to spend money to make this work) an amplifier that you could plug your headphones into. This way you could get additional volume. It's an option anyway.

4dri3l
14-03-2018, 18:42
I just picked up what i think is a bug... something was bothering me when racing in the rain, so playing with the audio settings i just found that if you lower all sliders to zero, the sound of what i supose to be the tyres + water is still there at max volume, so no sliders control it.

APR193
14-03-2018, 18:53
This only proves i'm lucky because i don't have a girlfriend or wife ;)

To be fair I'd still be using a headset anyway as I much prefer it, and she certainly isn't difficult to live with. But yeah racing games and FIFA through the TV speakers are a big no no haha

Gr8_Lakes
14-03-2018, 19:31
No doubt this should be fixed, but.....
You could get(not that you should have to spend money to make this work) an amplifier that you could plug your headphones into. This way you could get additional volume. It's an option anyway.

I've thought of that, but I have a problem with it. I run wireless headphones so I can use game chat in my online league. We communicate positions, and frankly it's a social league with lots of fun banter. I use the 3.5 mm plug on my headset to plug into my phone which is running the Crew Chief app. So, between the game audio, chat, and Crew Chief, I'd lose something to plug into an ampliphier. Not to mention, spendin money to fet around a developmental problem is just maddening. Thank you for the suggestion however. Hopefully SMS jusycortects the problem already.

Ixoye56
15-03-2018, 00:17

I agree, it's the same problem with Xbox, max volume and it isn't high enough.

Georgeagea
15-03-2018, 07:16
As a PS4 user THIS is my biggest issue with this game.
The volume is just too low, too low. Sometimes I struggle to hear the car.
I use cockpit mode (not helmet). I use USB headphones output and a Kingston Hyperx cloud 2 headphones.
When I play PC2, I go max sounds all the way to start hearing the car.
When I switch to assetto corsa or dirt rally, I have to reduce volume level to about 60% to get same volume level as max on PC2. At 80% assetto or dirt would blow my ears.

Please fix it. This is an immersion breaking factor.

RoccoTTS
15-03-2018, 07:54
Apparently not everybody think the sound is bad in PC2.
https://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Team-VVV-Racing-Game-of-the-Year-Awards-2018-Best-Audio

Foofer37
15-03-2018, 13:06
https://www.teamvvv.com/en/news/comments/Team-VVV-Racing-Game-of-the-Year-Awards-2018-Best-Audio

Huh. Not sure how they think this is true, but.... This is what forums are for, discussing these things and giving one's opinion.

Keena
15-03-2018, 13:17
I have to turn the volume down on my PC headset. I guess the range of hardware options out there make a definitive sound just about impossible..

RoccoTTS
15-03-2018, 14:44
Huh. Not sure how they think this is true, but.... This is what forums are for, discussing these things and giving one's opinion.

The difference is those people judging the sound of the whole game and not only a few bad examples. It's not because we have 10 cars out of 180 that sounds not so good, the whole sound department is bad.

Gr8_Lakes
15-03-2018, 21:32
Now wouldn't it be great if we could just hear those award winning sounds? Personally, I've never had one complaint about the actual audio. My only complaint is that I can't get the volume loud enough to enjoy the hard work of the sound engineers. I'm convinced this doesn't effect everyone, and may be why it's so difficult to get fixed. PS4 and XBox One users with wireless headsets seem to be suffering the most. If the volume adjustment could go higher, that would satisfy those that are missing out. Those who aren't having a problem, just don't turn the volume up too loud. Everyone would be happy.

Ixoye56
15-03-2018, 22:10

Perhaps the volume is ok on PC, but it's not on consoles that I can assure you.

Pekka Salminen
15-03-2018, 22:30
I'm convinced this doesn't effect everyone, and may be why it's so difficult to get fixed.

This is true; back when I was in PS4, the volume was good for me, when game volume was at 100 and the headset volume only at around 33% (adjusted from the menu you can access by pressing and holding briefly the PS button). I use a USB headset, don't know if that is better than other solutions.

On the other hand, on PC I use the same headset, and use in-game volume at 25 (or 35, somewhere in that range) while system volume is around 50 to 60%. It migh be true that PS4 version is more quiet.

MISTER WU
15-03-2018, 22:52
All i will say on this is, go and play a V8 supercar in Automobilista then come back to pcars2 and race the ford and tell me which one is better.
I have been watching V8's since the 80's and i can tell you now that this game has terrible (Sorry to the sound tech but it is pretty bad) sound when it comes to that car in particular.
To me, all the sounds appear to come across as compressed or something way to much, cars like the bentley gt3 sounds awesome because they have a bit of punch to it but others like the ferarri and NSX which i always race sound pretty bland to me.

Remember the vacuum cleaner sound that the V8 SC had in pcars1? I do and i wanted to punch my monitor every time i heard it.

Bliman
15-03-2018, 23:02
All i will say on this is, go and play a V8 supercar in Automobilista then come back to pcars2 and race the ford and tell me which one is better.
I have been watching V8's since the 80's and i can tell you now that this game has terrible (Sorry to the sound tech but it is pretty bad) sound when it comes to that car in particular.
To me, all the sounds appear to come across as compressed or something way to much, cars like the bentley gt3 sounds awesome because they have a bit of punch to it but others like the ferarri and NSX which i always race sound pretty bland to me.

Remember the vacuum cleaner sound that the V8 SC had in pcars1? I do and i wanted to punch my monitor every time i heard it.

Wow I searched a youtube movie of the V8 supercar in Automobilista and I came across a split screen with right the game and left real life. I thought it was the sound of real life I was hearing but it was the game, that was some great stuff.
I have to be honest, I am not impressed by the sound (maybe I cannot judge it really well because I play through my television speakers) of Project Cars 2, I have the feeling they have taken a step back from Project Cars.
Also the sound from the replay is not convincing to me, it sounds much to monotonous.
Hopefully I can judge it with headphones soon.

xtro
19-03-2018, 23:14
not to promote blindly a new product but I'm really excited for Creative's new headphones technology and hear what it can bring to pcars and other games

BigDad
20-03-2018, 04:50
I play using the headset on the Rift and have my PC volume at 60% and ingame maxed and my family wonder how I'm not deaf from it, it's quite loud but from my experience driving cars fast is loud so I like it that way.
There must be an issue with the console volume levels.
Some of the cars in pC2 need to heard loud so for all you sakes I hope SMS fix this soon.

Jezza819
20-03-2018, 06:07
We keep talking about how some of the cars sound so bad but there are some really good sounding ones as well. Tonight I drove the Mustang RTR GT4 and it has this glorious rumble about it so it's not all negative.

resmania
20-03-2018, 07:33
I think cars with old PC1 loop audio model generally sounds bad compare to ones with newer recordings and fully converted to FMOD REV model.

poirqc
22-03-2018, 11:11
In what format does pCars 2 output its sound?

44,1 Khz, 16 bit stereo or 5.1 or something else?

thanks,

Raklodder
22-03-2018, 11:46
There's an issue with some cars when turning your head in VR, where the car almost goes completely silent (immersion breaking) when looking behind your seat and into your rearview mirrors.

Mahjik
22-03-2018, 13:06
In what format does pCars 2 output its sound?

44,1 Khz, 16 bit stereo or 5.1 or something else?

thanks,

This post may help: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51537-Known-Volume-sound-way-to-low&p=1492415&viewfull=1#post1492415

RomKnight
22-03-2018, 13:12
IIRC since pC1 the sound is 48Khz -16 bit

poirqc
22-03-2018, 14:03
This post may help: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?51537-Known-Volume-sound-way-to-low&p=1492415&viewfull=1#post1492415

thanks for that post. I'm using Stereo speakers right now. I'll probably tick the headphone mix. While i'm not optimal from a position pov, at least, the audio tracks are going to be mixed correctly.

IIRC since pC1 the sound is 48Khz -16 bit

I'm asking this because i've had various issues when system sounds output settings where different than what was needed in various programms.

For pCars 2, i'm not sure i have the correct words to describe it. On lots of cars, when i'm near the red line, there's a kind of crackling, like the sample rate isn't right. I just want to make sure the game and system sample rate are the same.

Since i haven't heard about it from other user, it's probably something on my side.

Chin
22-03-2018, 17:07
There's an issue with some cars when turning your head in VR, where the car almost goes completely silent (immersion breaking) when looking behind your seat and into your rearview mirrors.

What cars? I haven't noticed anything unexpected.

Binaural sound...is the engine in front on those cars?

Ermz
25-08-2018, 12:04
Really glad I found this thread. Was about to start a similar one.

Out of all the modern racing games I've played, PCars 2 easily has the least accurate sound engine. It's one of the biggest immersion breakers to me. It's a crying shame, because the game is otherwise one of the best racers out there.

I mostly drive production cars, so I can't comment on the GT3 sounds and whatever else. As far as the production cars go, every single one I've raced in that game sounds as if my ears are in the engine bay, rather than in the car's cockpit. The audio mix sounds as if the person doing it has never actually sat in a car and understood how it sounds from in there. The sounds are overly distorted, compressed, and tinny. In the real-life cabin of most production cars, the engine sound is quite muted (get familiar with low-pass filters) and nowhere near as bright as in the game. Certain engine, transmission, turbo induction etc. sounds seem like they're recycled between cars. Other sounds are missing entirely (such as the bouncing in the Karusel on the Nordschleife).

From the outside, the audio mix is equally weird. The sound is thin and brassy, and up until recently has been quite bugged during replays too (playing curb/grass tyre samples after the car has gone back to tarmac, weird panning etc.).

The sound is easily the worst element of PCars 2, and lets down what is otherwise is a very impressive racing game. For anyone wanting a reference point for an amazing audio engine in a racing game, check out Dirt: Rally and Dirt 4. Everything from the engine sounds, to perspectives, induction, turbo flutter, transmission whine etc. was done amazingly. You can see a promotional video covering the process here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC2XNhJCS0U

It may seem like harping on about something minute, but I spend my days working as a mastering engineer. Consequently, I'm quite familiar with how things should sound through this playback system. When I noticed that the car sounds from even GTA V were much more accurate than PCars 2, it was obvious that something wasn't right. Would absolutely love for this to be addressed, but won't hold out hope. It would likely involve a complete remix of most sounds in the game, if not re-recording everything. Likely not viable from a financial perspective, especially since there doesn't even seem to be a consensus among the player base that the sound is wanting.

mister dog
26-08-2018, 11:35
especially since there doesn't even seem to be a consensus among the player base that the sound is wanting.
Cockpit sounds are a mixed bag, some cars (mostly the new ones), sound decent others not so much, not sure if you also played PC1 but in that area PC2 is already quite an improvement over the first game so that's positive. I think we all agree on how the cars sound externally in replays though, the samples you hear there are probably the worst of any racing game at the moment and can use a big improvement for the next game.

Ermz
28-08-2018, 19:35
Never played PCars 1, so I'll have to take your word for it. What bothers me is that every sound seems to have been run through the same preset distortion/frequency filtering that thins out and crunches up the sound. I feel like if they were to just globally alter that processing to make the balance sound more like an actual car does, there would be a massive improvement, even without tweaking the inner workings of the sound engine.

Apologies for harping on Dirt: Rally, but just listen to how fantastic and distinctive all these cars sound from various external perspectives. It can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kykd4pbZroA

mister dog
30-08-2018, 00:19
Just saw this replay of a Beetle in GTS, even there the external samples and the doppler effect sounds more realistic already:

http://youtu.be/ekqg7ykNNMk?t=251

CastrolGT
30-08-2018, 07:03
one thing I noticed quite long time ago in this game is that when you're in the pits and an opponent passes on the finish line, there's absolutely no doppler effect. it's like there's no air movement at all. this needs to be fixed because it cuts the immersion when you're in the pitbox

BigDad
30-08-2018, 07:25
Just saw this replay of a Beetle in GTS, even there the external samples and the doppler effect sounds more realistic already:

http://youtu.be/ekqg7ykNNMk?t=251

Who needs raytracing ! lol when a bloody PS4 can do reflections looking like this !
Points to Sony on this .

Mahjik
30-08-2018, 14:50
one thing I noticed quite long time ago in this game is that when you're in the pits and an opponent passes on the finish line, there's absolutely no doppler effect. it's like there's no air movement at all. this needs to be fixed because it cuts the immersion when you're in the pitbox

Which cars? I hear that effect with most cars (and find it pretty darn cool). Granted, I don't drive "every" car in the sim so there may be some that have some external sound issues.

CastrolGT
30-08-2018, 16:16
Which cars? I hear that effect with most cars (and find it pretty darn cool). Granted, I don't drive "every" car in the sim so there may be some that have some external sound issues.

well, every car. when I'm in the pit, with the menu, I don't hear the doppler effect. both in single and multiplayer. it's flat. like the camera is moving at the same speed than the car passing by, but in fact, no. this is a mistake because, even when you don't move, the car coming is higher pitched than when it shows its rear bumper. which is a lower pitch than if you move at the same speed of the car

Mahjik
30-08-2018, 16:25
well, every car. when I'm in the pit, with the menu, I don't hear the doppler effect. both in single and multiplayer. it's flat. like the camera is moving at the same speed than the car passing by, but in fact, no. this is a mistake because, even when you don't move, the car coming is higher pitched than when it shows its rear bumper. which is a lower pitch than if you move at the same speed of the car

Do you hear a difference in volume as the cars approach and go away?

Urban Chaos 2.0
30-08-2018, 16:27
I don't have any sound issues. Every car I've tried so far, sounds very good. At launch, Project Cars 2 definitely had vehicle sound issues. Now though, all those problems seem to have been fixed. Right now, I'm quite pleased with the sounds of every car I've driven except one: The A45 AMG road car. It's transmission sounds are quite awful at low speeds.

CastrolGT
30-08-2018, 16:49
Do you hear a difference in volume as the cars approach and go away?

yes, I hear this. only the doppler effect is missing. in the replay, it's there

Mahjik
30-08-2018, 17:18
yes, I hear this. only the doppler effect is missing. in the replay, it's there

Can you do two small videos demonstrating the difference? I'll be honest, I haven't heard a difference between the two. It could be based on sound setups or it could be my ears aren't that sensitive. ;)

CastrolGT
30-08-2018, 18:06
I'll do the videos when the bug will happen again. right now, it seems ok. the doppler effect is present. I guess it's not every car after all

bmanic
30-08-2018, 21:42
edit: Never mind. Frustration led to bad post so I took it away. Lets hope the sound of future games from SMS are better.

Haiden
01-09-2018, 14:19
To me, there's no comparison between PCars2 and R3E. I can't really remember what the default sound is like in AC, because I've been running the Fonsecker sound mods for so long, but with the mods, there's no comparison there either. If you drive the Porsche GT3 in PCars and R3E, I don't know how it could go unnoticed. Not all cars sound bad, but when doing direct comparisons, they often don't sound nearly as good.

That said, the thing PCars2 gets right, is spatial/directional sound. Not sure what the proper term is, but when I'm driving a rear engine car in PCars, I hear it clearly from the rear. And all sounds clearly come from the proper direction. I even heard the grass swishing under the tires from the left window when putting the left tires off track. Other sims don't seem to do that nearly as well, or at all.

CastrolGT
01-09-2018, 15:19
That said, the thing PCars2 gets right, is spatial/directional sound. Not sure what the proper term is, but when I'm driving a rear engine car in PCars, I hear it clearly from the rear. And all sounds clearly come from the proper direction. I even heard the grass swishing under the tires from the left window when putting the left tires off track. Other sims don't seem to do that nearly as well, or at all.

maybe that explains why some engine sounds are way less quality or doeasn't sound like the real one at all. many and many little sound details that adds to the immersion

bmanic
08-09-2018, 05:15
maybe that explains why some engine sounds are way less quality or doeasn't sound like the real one at all. many and many little sound details that adds to the immersion

No. Engine quality has absolutely nothing to do with spatialization. Lets not spread misinformation here. There are two main problems with pCars 2 engine sounds. Distortion and inaccuracy. I can absolutely forgive the inaccurate sounds for some cars as it's virtually impossible to get the exact right engine recorded for such a huge roster of cars but the distortion and overall "tinny/harsh" sound quality for quite a few cars is hard to forgive as it was pointed out for numerous problematic cars several years before release and also on many cars for the first game, again several years before release.

Both of these problems are completely independent of spatialization (which is at the very core of FMod and similar built in solutions for other development platforms) and sound placement around the virtual world.

Haiden
08-09-2018, 13:38
No. Engine quality has absolutely nothing to do with spatialization. Lets not spread misinformation here. There are two main problems with pCars 2 engine sounds. Distortion and inaccuracy. I can absolutely forgive the inaccurate sounds for some cars as it's virtually impossible to get the exact right engine recorded for such a huge roster of cars but the distortion and overall "tinny/harsh" sound quality for quite a few cars is hard to forgive as it was pointed out for numerous problematic cars several years before release and also on many cars for the first game, again several years before release.

Both of these problems are completely independent of spatialization (which is at the very core of FMod and similar built in solutions for other development platforms) and sound placement around the virtual world.

It was also a problem in PCars1. In fact, some of the cars sound like they're using the same sound file from PC1.

Maskmagog
08-09-2018, 16:57
I used to be a sound engineer in a music studio, and I do agree with some of the complaints. Having said that, when I'm racing, in cockpit view, it's very immersive to me.
It could be better, but it's not a problem for me.

UkHardcore23
08-09-2018, 17:52
I used to be a sound engineer in a music studio, and I do agree with some of the complaints. Having said that, when I'm racing, in cockpit view, it's very immersive to me.
It could be better, but it's not a problem for me.

The only issue i have with cockpit sounds if they have took away all the bottom end and increased the mids and highs.

CastrolGT
08-09-2018, 23:14
The only issue i have with cockpit sounds if they have took away all the bottom end and increased the mids and highs.

and added a little bit too much of distortion