PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 911 RSR GTE help

Jezza819
12-03-2018, 16:37
Seeing reviews of the new Porsche Legends DLC a lot of people are raving about how excellent the RSR handles. I'm not getting that at all. I'm finding it very hard to drive without spinning it out. It's especially hard on medium speed corners and if there's any slight undulation in the road I can forget it. The right handers by the wind mills at Zolder come to mind. If I haven't lost it just on initial turn in, once the car starts bouncing over the bumps I can feel the rear end start to kick around and then it just goes.

The V8 Supercar has almost the same tendency in that the rear end seems to want to keep on turning more than the steering input except the Porsche is even more sensitive than the Falcon. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the differential and yes I've looked at the differential calculator and I have no clue what it means.

Also in it's default mode this car for me doesn't have enough top end to compete at Daytona road course. Coming out of the bus stop it gets left behind. But in looking at it's transmission it doesn't appear that you can just go in and change it's final drive ratio. So is it just a matter of lengthening 5th and 6th gears to give it more top end? And yes I did look at the gear ratio calculator and I can't make heads or tails of it either. :confused:

AbeWoz
12-03-2018, 16:55
what are your (or default) diff settings?
and yes, you need to lenghten the gears as well as close the radiator and brake ducts. Tracks with long straights can have these closed more.

blinkngone
12-03-2018, 17:45
As far as top end, Daytona Tri-Oval- Aston Martin 47.399, Ford 47.74, Corvette 47.920, Porsche 48.200, BMW 48.760and last Ferrari 48.798.
So far in TT on the PC at Spa it can beat the Ferrari 488, BMW and AM but the other GTE cars are still ahead, people haven't figured it out yet. At the most popular track, RBR GP it is right behind the Ford but all cars are close here except the AM. At the Daytona Road Course the RSR is right behind the Ford at 1:42.358(C7 is 1st at 1:42.120). So the RSR is right in there in the middle. What track are you having problems with besides the Daytona Road Course?

Jezza819
12-03-2018, 17:45
what are your (or default) diff settings?
and yes, you need to lenghten the gears as well as close the radiator and brake ducts. Tracks with long straights can have these closed more.

Everything is strictly on defaults because once I got to looking at it I thought I had better leave it alone until someone could tell me what I was doing. Once I get home tonight I'll go in and post what it says.

The only other car I've ever altered the gearing on is the RWD LMP1 car to give it more top end but you can just adjust the final drive ratio on it. The Porsche doesn't have any adjusting to that. At least what I can see.

g.stew
12-03-2018, 17:53
What kind of tyres are you using and what are your temps and pressures? If you are using the hard slicks you might not be getting them up to temp and you'll tend to spin out more easily. Try the softs and make sure you are getting them warmed up enough before pushing. I've just done one practice at fuji with this car and I was finding it took me about 3 laps to get the tyres working while I was trying to tune other things. Second lap I could push, but the tyres didn't really come alive until the third. This probably has something to do with me getting used to the car too, but it was really noticeable on this car.

Check your engine braking too before you look at the diff. The lower the number, the more engine braking is happening. It could be slowing you down too much, and if you're not back on the throttle fast enough you'll lose time. One you start the feel comfortable pushing in this car you'll be able to get back on the throttle pretty quickly.

blinkngone
12-03-2018, 18:07
At the Road Course this is the gearing for the WR, it can go to 1.00 in 6th but this would hurt you on the infield. The Engine Braking used was 2 which is Default Loose as well.
This is Default Loose. This will hurt your top end a little.

blinkngone
12-03-2018, 18:48
Also, this is the only GTE using the combination LSD, it uses a Clutch LSD with low preload and a Viscous at 200 so maybe this is why it feels different to you. The other GTEs you have driven just use the Clutch LSD so maybe you need time to adapt to the different feel?

Jezza819
12-03-2018, 18:48
As far as top end, Daytona Tri-Oval- Aston Martin 47.399, Ford 47.74, Corvette 47.920, Porsche 48.200, BMW 48.760and last Ferrari 48.798.
So far in TT on the PC at Spa it can beat the Ferrari 488, BMW and AM but the other GTE cars are still ahead, people haven't figured it out yet. At the most popular track, RBR GP it is right behind the Ford but all cars are close here except the AM. At the Daytona Road Course the RSR is right behind the Ford at 1:42.358(C7 is 1st at 1:42.120). So the RSR is right in there in the middle. What track are you having problems with besides the Daytona Road Course?

That's the only one I've taken it to as far as top end. But your talking time in TT where the cars would have been tuned right?

If I recall correctly I've driven it at Imola, Zolder, Nurburgring GP, and Hockenheim GP and I've spun it around everywhere.

g.stew
12-03-2018, 18:57
If I recall correctly I've driven it at Imola, Zolder, Nurburgring GP, and Hockenheim GP and I've spun it around everywhere.

So not in TT right? Did you have tyres Automatic By Weather? Try soft slicks instead for the tyres before you start tuning any other settings and do a couple laps to get the temps up. Or try in time trials where your tyres will be pre-warmed.

If the tyres are not right, you'll spin around like you're saying.

blinkngone
12-03-2018, 19:15
That's the only one I've taken it to as far as top end. But your talking time in TT where the cars would have been tuned right?

Correct, all the GTE times I have tuned. Tires were Hard of course.

I have checked the LSDs on a dozen of the top TT times at various tracks and so far the people are leaving the LSD alone. I only found 1 where the person increased the preload to 100 but that is kind of crazy in my opinion. The rest are sticking with slight ramp adjustments and no one has touched the Viscous at 200. Personally I wouldn't mess with Zolder with the weird bumps until I was used to driving this new car.
Here is a Nurburgring setup. There are no changes to Default Loose on the ECU/ENGINE/GEARING other than closing the radiator and the LSD is Default Loose. He has changed the Bump Stops but left the dampers untouched and he has really stiffened up the front/rear springs.

Jezza819
12-03-2018, 20:47
So not in TT right? Did you have tyres Automatic By Weather? Try soft slicks instead for the tyres before you start tuning any other settings and do a couple laps to get the temps up. Or try in time trials where your tyres will be pre-warmed.

If the tyres are not right, you'll spin around like you're saying.

I have tires on soft slicks about 25lbs front and rear, tire wear is turned to OFF.

Jezza819
12-03-2018, 20:56
Correct, all the GTE times I have tuned. Tires were Hard of course.

I have checked the LSDs on a dozen of the top TT times at various tracks and so far the people are leaving the LSD alone. I only found 1 where the person increased the preload to 100 but that is kind of crazy in my opinion. The rest are sticking with slight ramp adjustments and no one has touched the Viscous at 200. Personally I wouldn't mess with Zolder with the weird bumps until I was used to driving this new car.
Here is a Nurburgring setup. There are no changes to Default Loose on the ECU/ENGINE/GEARING other than closing the radiator and the LSD is Default Loose. He has changed the Bump Stops but left the dampers untouched and he has really stiffened up the front/rear springs.

Yeah thanks for this. I'll give it a go tonight if I can and see what that does. The V8 Supercar at first was a nightmare because it would do the same thing. I would spin that car out at those greater than 90 degree turns at Zhuai but it seems to have lessened after the patches or either I've changed the FFB on my wheel where I can control it more but this Porsche will bite harder than the Falcon.

Bealdor
12-03-2018, 20:59
Are you losing the car while coasting or during acceleration out of the corner?
If it's during coasting, increase the engine braking compensation.

g.stew
12-03-2018, 21:04
Another place you can look right now is the community challenges. There is one at Le Mans with quite a few people using this car on xbox. Since it's usually hard to find car specific setups on xbox like on pc (except with blinkngone's help of course!), these are nice because the leaderboards show just the cars for that challenge.

You can try out some of the setups and ghosts there to see if you can find something that works well for you.

blinkngone
13-03-2018, 00:41

Hi, I found 2 5s and 1 3 at Brands Hatch GP for Engine Braking. Everyone else is running 2. Do you want him to use the higher number which is less Engine Braking? I found 2 5s at Monza, they tend to be the slower runs. At Algarve the top 10 runs are all running 2. At Laguna Seca the 7th place run is a 4 and the 10th place run is a 3 all others are a 2.

Jezza819
13-03-2018, 02:20

I don't think I've lost it yet on coasting unless you count slowing down for a tighter corner like in the Mercedes Arena at Nurburgring GP. I've lost it on the first turn and second turns there. But I haven't had it just snap on regular coasting down that I can remember.

Jezza819
13-03-2018, 04:06
At the Road Course this is the gearing for the WR, it can go to 1.00 in 6th but this would hurt you on the infield. The Engine Braking used was 2 which is Default Loose as well.
This is Default Loose. This will hurt your top end a little.

I got a chance to try this briefly tonight. I nearly tried something very similar to this the other night but I thought no let me ask first just in case I really mess it up although all you would do is just delete it and start over. Anyway, this is now at least somewhat competitive at Daytona especially on the NASCAR parts. I didn't win with it (AI strength 60) mainly because of that old problem of the AI just slamming into turn 1 even later into the race. I think in the race I completed I had the second fastest lap of the race.

Right before bedtime I thought I would try this out at Fuji which I had never ran there before so I can't judge it against defaults. But it did feel nice there and I won that race but I typically do well there anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions.