PDA

View Full Version : Ovals - best way to get out of the walls

foxymop
14-03-2018, 09:41
Hi!

So, in ovals, when you hit the wall, it feels like it has glue on it.

Is there a quick and easy way the get free? Or is just brake, steer and wait till it gets free?

By the way

Huge mad prop for the Canadian guys in the ovals yesterday on PS4! Lots of fun in Indianapolis and Daytona and thanks for the inputs to the people in the race.

It's a shame though that people still buy project cars to drive like Need for Speed and Destruction Derby.

gp2112
14-03-2018, 12:13
The only way you will get off the wall is if you slow down. The issue is that the centrifugal forces acting on the car "throw" it toward the wall, even on banking. To get off the wall you, first, have to overcome the centrifugal forces acting upon the car. The only way to do this is to slow down so the forces are no longer acting upon your car. I cannot tell you what speed is necessary to overcome those forces as it will be different depending upon the speed you have when coming in contact with the wall, the angle of attack, the car itself, etc...

RomKnight
14-03-2018, 14:32
What gp2112 said but... obviously not going up the ovals so much would be preferable :D

foxymop
14-03-2018, 16:55
Thanks!

True, but some times I put self in some stupid situation
like being between a car and a wall and the result it's not often good. :p

JasonSandwich
14-03-2018, 21:00
If you dig ovals and driving on the walls, check out the historic Monza oval. Just hold on for dear life around that first bend.

isabellamg
14-03-2018, 21:30
The only way you will get off the wall is if you slow down. The issue is that the centrifugal forces acting on the car "throw" it toward the wall, even on banking. To get off the wall you, first, have to overcome the centrifugal forces acting upon the car. The only way to do this is to slow down so the forces are no longer acting upon your car. I cannot tell you what speed is necessary to overcome those forces as it will be different depending upon the speed you have when coming in contact with the wall, the angle of attack, the car itself, etc...

This is one of the best answers I guess. Getting through the walls is uncontrollable.

Daz555
14-03-2018, 21:37
The wall physics feel a little unrealistic. As they just seem to suck you in far too much.... You slow down loads and you still can't turn away from them. It seems like a glance of the wall is impossible in corners like you see in real life oval racing all the time.

The NASCAR seems the worse culprit. Still loving the oval racing though and really hope we get some more tracks.

foxymop
15-03-2018, 08:31
True and true!
I'm loving it!

Vic Flange
15-03-2018, 14:23
There is something strangely compelling about the ovals. Trying to eke out a bit more speed to close the gap on the car in front and pick up the draft. Good fun.

DECATUR PLAYA
15-03-2018, 15:35
The sticky wall physics are only in the turns. The car does not stick to the wall in the straights.

specialkone
15-03-2018, 18:11
Look at the fun I’m having at the Daytona oval in the Porsche 917/10. There are wipe outs at the start, I appropriately get a penalty for passing below the yellow line and look at the drafting going on. I have to block to win.

I keep thinking how great it would be if the talented SMS team produced a Nascar sim. IMHO there hasn’t been a good one since Papyrus’ Nascar 2003. Nascar should give SMS the rights for free. The drivers would practice with it, crew chiefs would be plugging in their setups and we the fans would have a blast with an SMS produced Nascar sim.

http://youtu.be/Oz9qngSbzf8

awaite85
15-03-2018, 18:14
It happens. Even for those us with plenty of oval expierence. Lift off the throttle and glide to the left until you're pointed away from it. I do that for the stock car and Dallara.

awaite85
15-03-2018, 18:16
I keep thinking how great it would be if the talented SMS team produced a Nascar sim. IMHO there hasn’t been a good one since Papyrus’ Nascar 2003. Nascar should give SMS the rights for free. The drivers would practice with it, crew chiefs would be plugging in their setups and we the fans would have a blast with an SMS produced Nascar sim.

http://youtu.be/Oz9qngSbzf8

Agreed!

foxymop
15-03-2018, 20:15
Thanks for the inputs!

I'm also trying to drive more with my head and more cautious.

Not wanting to take all the cake at once. Better to take 10 laps to pass the guy in the lead than to wreck in the first lap and end up last. Wish has given some epic chase races!