PDA

View Full Version : Why still UDP Pcars 1 for Pcars 2?

davidt33
14-03-2018, 22:40
On PS4 console....for magnificent 3rd party apps such as Crew Chief etc that enhances the game's enjoyment and makes you want to play more....Why are we still limited to having to choose UDP Protocol Version: "Project Cars 1" for a game which is "Project Cars 2"?
The game has been released since last September 2017 if my memory serves me right (going on 7 months). Isn't it about time the developers release the long awaited patch that would allow users to choose UDP Protocol Version: "Project Cars 2" for "Project Cars 2"?

I know the developers and technical team may be busy working behind the scenes to improve the game as much possible but isn't it about time this UDP Protocol thing is addressed and released to co-relate with the game version? Questions have been asked about this but answers have not been forthcoming apparently.

AbeWoz
14-03-2018, 22:43
some apps that were built for PC1 were not updated to PC2, but are still usable.

Also, CrewChief, at least on PC, uses pC2 UDP as long as you have pCARS 2 selected on the game menu

davidt33
14-03-2018, 23:00
some apps that were built for PC1 were not updated to PC2, but are still usable.

Also, CrewChief, at least on PC, uses pC2 UDP as long as you have pCARS 2 selected on the game menu
Yeah I know it's not a PC issue. I think they are able to use it via "Share" mode or something so. The issue relates to PS4 console and probably other consoles.
What I've gathered is that developers of the popular third party apps such as Crew Chief and others do have their apps already for the UDP Protocol "Project Cars 2" and have been waiting for the developers of Project Cars 2 to release a patch to enable PS4 console users to choose the current version of the game for UDP Protocol but that has not been forthcoming, at least as far as I'm aware. And as I said it's already 7 months post-release.

AbeWoz
14-03-2018, 23:10
Yeah I know it's not a PC issue. I think they are able to use it via "Share" mode or something so. The issue relates to PS4 console and probably other consoles.
What I've gathered is that developers of the popular third party apps such as Crew Chief and others do have their apps already for the UDP Protocol "Project Cars 2" and have been waiting for the developers of Project Cars 2 to release a patch to enable PS4 console users to choose the current version of the game for UDP Protocol but that has not been forthcoming, at least as far as I'm aware. And as I said it's already 7 months post-release.

ah. ok.
but september to march is 6 months.

hkraft300
14-03-2018, 23:32
What I've gathered is that developers of the popular third party apps such as Crew Chief and others do have their apps already for the UDP Protocol "Project Cars 2" and have been waiting for the developers of Project Cars 2 to release a patch to enable PS4 console users to choose the current version of the game for UDP Protocol ...

Some apps are using the #2 protocol. You can switch to the 2 protocol in ps4 settings.
For other apps that haven’t updated, or your pre existing pc1 apps, you can still use them with the #1 protocol.

mr_belowski
15-03-2018, 05:55
The V2 protocol is a much better design than the old one and contains much more data. Unfortunately the implementation has been so buggy I've not been able to use it. Some vital data like driver names and tyre temps was either broken or missing. It's improving but this also means some undocumented changes have been added that break compatibility with existing apps.

The combination of bugs, unannounced breaking changes and inconsistent communication from SMS (sometimes helpful, sometimes hostile and disinterested) make it not worth my time for crew chief

ermo
15-03-2018, 06:12
The V2 protocol is a much better design than the old one and contains much more data. Unfortunately the implementation has been so buggy I've not been able to use it. Some vital data like driver names and tyre temps was either broken or missing. It's improving but this also means some undocumented changes have been added that break compatibility with existing apps.

The combination of bugs, unannounced breaking changes and inconsistent communication from SMS (sometimes helpful, sometimes hostile and disinterested) make it not worth my time for crew chief

So ... what you are saying is that SMS appear to be lacking a coherent "story" around the UDP interface development, possibly due to it being a "best effort" rather than a "core value-add" feature?

My take is that SMS is punching above their weight and is actually spread somewhat thin, which might make people expect more than it is actually reasonable to expect.

That said, I sympathize with your frustration.

mr_belowski
15-03-2018, 17:20
I don't think it's a problem of expectations. I'm a 3rd party developer consuming a public API for a commercial product. If I'm going to sell my own product that relies on this API I need to have sufficient confidence that it's stable and works as described. If SMS intend to make breaking changes they need to document these in a timely fashion. They should also respond properly to bug reports.

None of this is required of SMS, of course. These are just prerequisites of guys like me being able to base their products on the API. I can't risk selling something that SMS may break without warning, and that they don't appear to support

Dsalomao
13-11-2018, 08:16
Some apps are using the #2 protocol. You can switch to the 2 protocol in ps4 settings.
For other apps that haven’t updated, or your pre existing pc1 apps, you can still use them with the #1 protocol.

Could you pls list some of the apps running under the UDP protocol PC2 for PS4? Does any of them work on iOS? Tks

hkraft300
13-11-2018, 10:08
Don't know mate you'll have to check this section of the forum
RS Dash I believe does pc2 on ios.
I'm on android running sim dashboard, but I don't think that's ios compatible.

Mahjik
13-11-2018, 11:49
Could you pls list some of the apps running under the UDP protocol PC2 for PS4? Does any of them work on iOS? Tks

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/apps/

thomasjohansen
13-11-2018, 12:26
Im one of those using apps that dont support Pcars2 but only Pcars1, so I'm greatful that crewchief still supports Pcars1.

Im using "Shake it" with DIY rumble pedals and kers vibration, and it only supports Pcars1.