PDA

View Full Version : How best time delta works?

yannara
16-03-2018, 10:07
I would like to have better understanding how it really works.

1. Sector times are corpared only to entire best lap, right? So if I drive second lap sector 1 better, but entire second lap is worse, the second lap sector 1 will be forgotten, right?

2. Are Sector lap times totally independend from each of another? Or is the time success somehow added between sector 1 and 2?

3. How many sectors there are overall in one track?

ATSS
16-03-2018, 11:33
1. Correct.

2. They are independent.

3. Always 3.

Ofnir4
16-03-2018, 11:38
2. Not quite, it's highly dependent on the track layout. If let's say the sector ends before a turn (it is mostly), breaking late of it means better sector 1 (because you crossed the sector line at full speed) time but worse sector 2 (because you carried too much speed and had a bad exit) and vice versa. Sector 2 at Monza it an great example of that.

CSL-Drive
16-03-2018, 12:06
Not sure if the engineer is bluffing, but I recall the engineer telling me that "Sector 1 is your best sector so far, try and force them there." So perhaps, the engineer actually knows the sum of all your sectors for all the laps you've driven, and can tell which sector is your overal best compared to all the sectors of all the other drivers. Which is either epic, or just a bluff of the a.i. trying to sound clever. And this was online too.

cpcdem
16-03-2018, 14:31
Well the game certainly does know what is your best time for each sector and also what was the best time for each sector in the fastest overall lap. It's just that sometimes it uses one thing and others the other, based on the circumstance.

For example, for the delta widget:
- If you have set it to "Fastest time", it will be showing the delta to the best time as a whole, without taking into account if one sector was faster in another (not fastest) lap.
- If you have set it to "Potential time", then it will be showing delta to the best combined lap time, using the absolute best sectors from any of your laps

When you are in TT or in qualifying, when you finish sector 1, you will be shown a message comparing your sector 1 time to your best sector 1 so far from all previous laps. This can be different to what the delta time widget shows at the same time (if you have set it to "Fastest time"), as your absolute best lap time might have a sector one time slower or faster than your absolute faster sector 1 time. At the end off sector 2, you are shown similarly a comparison to your best sector 2 time so far (or is it the combined sector 1 & 2 times?). Unfortunately there's the infamous bug here, where a lot of times at the end of sector 2 you are shown a random delta time of 20 seconds or so, which confuses things a bit.

Finally, in the qualifying results, I am 99% certain that it shows the sector times of the best lap, not the best sector times.

yannara
17-03-2018, 11:53
Not sure if the engineer is bluffing, ....

Iīve witnessed that sometimes engineer is full of shit :D ... canīt remember what it was, but I was like "..yea, right"..

iggy
19-03-2018, 19:13
What does the colorful bar mean? the one that's shown above the numbers? Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's white, sometimes it's pink... the length changes as well.

Ofnir4
19-03-2018, 19:27
It is there to show you how fast you are in a specific corner in term of speed carried into, at and out of the corner compared to your previous/fastest lap.

yannara
19-03-2018, 19:58
What does the colorful bar mean? the one that's shown above the numbers? Sometimes it's green, sometimes it's white, sometimes it's pink... the length changes as well.

PC version has only green and red.