PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Whine

ZephyrRacing
17-03-2018, 12:28
I've been seeing a lot of comments (not only on this forum) about the game's sounds needing improvements. However, the more I listen to the sounds, the more I realise what needs improving the most: the transmission sound.
It seems as though the same transmission sound has been used since Shift 2, and it doesn't accurately sound like a transmission; a high-pitched scream doesn't instantly mean a good transmission sound.
I like listening to the transmission whine whilst listening to the cars on YouTube, as it gives more depth to their sounds. But the one in these games just gives me a bit of a headache because it doesn't sound very accurate.

Here's an onboard video of the actual Audi R8 GT3. Watch the video from around 37 seconds and listen to the transmission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVPBwguT7I&list=LLxUlOq3-sKTivBNr0gXAAZg&index=8&t=0s

And here's the same car in Project CARS 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVP0BAmGMI8

The real car has that pitch progression up to third gear, where it then goes even higher pitched in fourth gear onwards. It has that pneumatic gearbox buzz when shifting. There seems to be a new, unique pitch with each gear.
The car in the game? It's just a faint screaming sound in the background which faintly represents a transmission whine. It gets higher pitched as the speed increases, so it seems.

I could give more examples, but then I'd be linking a lot of videos of transmission sounds that are slightly different from each other, but still relatively the same. The point I'm trying to make is that a large effort was made on sounds (I hope), but the same transmission sound is still being used from many games ago, even on cars where the transmission in real life is inaudible. You could've scrapped the current transmission sound and made a brand new one, and that would've given a bit more depth to the sounds I think.

Just giving my two pence.

rich1e I
17-03-2018, 13:25
The Audi R8 LMS is certainly one of the best sounding cars in the game. I don't think we can complain about it.

ZephyrRacing
17-03-2018, 13:33
The Audi R8 LMS is certainly one of the best sounding cars in the game. I don't think we can complain about it.

The engine sound is top notch. However, the transmission whine that's just been slapped on top of it could do with some work.

VtecYo
17-03-2018, 13:36
Like he said, there is no transmission sound at all or this odd one from shift1. My biggest gripe ist this "KLACK" drum sound on some roadcars like the AUDI r8 V10 when shifting. It's just sound annoying.

ChivasRx
17-03-2018, 14:27
Like he said, there is no transmission sound at all or this odd one from shift1. My biggest gripe ist this "KLACK" drum sound on some roadcars like the AUDI r8 V10 when shifting. It's just sound annoying.

Agree 100%. I call it a CLUNK but yes, annoying and could use a little attention.

Foofer37
17-03-2018, 14:34
No. We've told the sound is the best. So....it's the best

ZephyrRacing
17-03-2018, 15:32
Agree 100%. I call it a CLUNK but yes, annoying and could use a little attention.

Yeah I know what you mean about that clunk sound. Another thing that could be fixed primarily happens on the road cars with semi-automatic gearboxes: the car redlines when upshifting. It makes shifts sound much less smooth than what they should be.
This was a problem on Project CARS 1, which affected pretty much all cars with semi-auto gearboxes. They've fixed it quite well for this game but it still happens.

UkHardcore23
18-03-2018, 09:53
Here's an onboard video of the actual Audi R8 GT3. Watch the video from around 37 seconds and listen to the transmission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONVPBwguT7I&list=LLxUlOq3-sKTivBNr0gXAAZg&index=8&t=0s

And here's the same car in Project CARS 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVP0BAmGMI8

As well as lack of whine why is the gear change so loud and clunky in PCARS 2 compared to real life it sounds about 20 times louder and 20 times clunkier? Infact gear change is barely audible in the real AUDI

resmania
18-03-2018, 13:01

One thing you can do is to go to game's data folder under steamapps, inside the audio there's a folder that stores variety of gear change sound.
Pick one you like and replace all the other files with the one you choose.
Or you could rename those files to make gear change noise gone.

BigFred
19-03-2018, 16:18
One of my favorite cars is the Audi S1. I can kind of understand that Project Cars 2 is a more general game, and that because of that and the sheer number of cars that are in it that the sound is bound to less good than a game like Dirt 4, which has only a few cars in coimparison.

But the sound in Dirt 4 of the S1 blows PCars 2 away. The harshness? of the engine sound, the backfires and the chirping (which is not present on PCars 2) makes the Dirt 4 sounds much more realistic.

Is it that they tried to model these sounds but failed in PCars2 (bugs?) or just that the sound generation mechanism doesn't have the capability to model these very specific sounds that only appear in certain cars ?