PDA

View Full Version : HDR + Night race + progression = Too dark!

marcelok
19-03-2018, 13:13
Hello all.

I'm facing some issues when the race starts afternoon and cross the entire night(With progression).
At some time during the night, the screen became so dark than headlights doesn't make any difference .
Sometimes i can see some black artifacts (like fog) on track.

And then, in some moment close to the morning time, in just one shoot everything return to the normal behavior.

This happened to me twice(Daytona road course and Fuji).

If i start the game setting the time to night, no problem. Only happen when the game switch the time using acelerated progression.

Equipament:
Xbox X - Enhanced Graphics
OLED B6
Denon X2300

Regards

Zaskarspants
19-03-2018, 14:25
Make certain that your xbox x output settings allow hdr.

I noticed my blacks were too dark and lacking detail a few days ago but it was because I had left my xbox x settings on 1080p after a watching a 1080p blu ray.

marcelok
19-03-2018, 14:47
Make certain that your xbox x output settings allow hdr.

I noticed my blacks were too dark and lacking detail a few days ago but it was because I had left my xbox x settings on 1080p after a watching a 1080p blu ray.

The HDR is on.
I can see it in the xbox's details and also on the TV's details.

Juiced46
20-03-2018, 00:58
Have you calibrated your display with an HDR calibration software? If not, I would highly recommend it....

Zaskarspants
20-03-2018, 11:27
Have you calibrated your display with an HDR calibration software? If not, I would highly recommend it....

Yes I agree this is very important.

The calibration page on the xbx is in settings.

marcelok
20-03-2018, 12:22

Yes.. i did it.
Like a said, until certain moment of the race the picture is correct..
then changes to this "Dark" picture and then, in just one blink... correct again!.

marcelok
21-03-2018, 13:46
Update:
Yesterday i raced in my league, same track, same parameters, but no HDR(I turned it off in my TV).
The game ran like expected!

Juiced46
21-03-2018, 16:29
That is because the black levels change for HDR. You need to calibrate your display properly for HDR or blacks will not look right.

marcelok
21-03-2018, 19:53
That is because the black levels change for HDR. You need to calibrate your display properly for HDR or blacks will not look right.

My display is calibrated!.

Juiced46
21-03-2018, 20:11
My display is calibrated!.

Not properly if it is not displaying blacks properly...

Zaskarspants
22-03-2018, 12:20
I recently got a new smart ( confusing) 4k HDR TV.

When first used every single contrast enhancing ( ruining) feature was turned on. This caused strange contrast pumping and variations that seemed to have little realtion to picture fidelity but instead gave a very over punchy look that may work well in a shop demo situation but looks awuf at home.

I switched off every contrast 'enhancer' in the menu and all is much calmer. I did some reading and discovered that these enhancers are not needed to reach the HDR mandated contrast levels so they really are not needed.

Try turning all stuff off you can in your tv menu, then recalibrate from the xbox x using the calibration tool.

marcelok
22-03-2018, 15:10
Not properly if it is not displaying blacks properly...

Like a said..
Is calibrated..

I said too, when this happen, i can see few artifacts on the track(Like black smoke squares).
The TV will never generate figures on my screen align with the game!

marcelok
22-03-2018, 15:13
I recently got a new smart ( confusing) 4k HDR TV.

When first used every single contrast enhancing ( ruining) feature was turned on. This caused strange contrast pumping and variations that seemed to have little realtion to picture fidelity but instead gave a very over punchy look that may work well in a shop demo situation but looks awuf at home.

I switched off every contrast 'enhancer' in the menu and all is much calmer. I did some reading and discovered that these enhancers are not needed to reach the HDR mandated contrast levels so they really are not needed.

Try turning all stuff off you can in your tv menu, then recalibrate from the xbox x using the calibration tool.

Everything is off, all enhancements, picture improvements and etc.

Talking with another friend, with configuration, he is seeing artifacts too, during the same race.

The only issue just i have , was too dark.
And again, same tv, same calibration. If i start the game in any time. No issue with the display.
During the progression in long races, i had the issues!

Zaskarspants
22-03-2018, 16:38
I think it best if you post a video.
I do not know what else to suggest as I cannot reproduce this.

Juiced46
22-03-2018, 21:13
Like a said..
Is calibrated..

I said too, when this happen, i can see few artifacts on the track(Like black smoke squares).
The TV will never generate figures on my screen align with the game!

Understood. Can you let us know your exact race settings? TT, Testing, Custom etc. I have some time tonight I can try to duplicate your issue and see of it does it on mine

sidy
04-04-2018, 14:50
HDR not working correctly in the game.

Zaskarspants
04-04-2018, 14:56
HDR not working correctly in the game.

What is wrong for you?

edit - dont forget to adjust the HDR levels using the tool that appears at the bottom of the visuals menu page when the game is running in HDR.

sidy
04-04-2018, 15:19
I know.... General graphic are fine, but there is a poor visibility of texts and especially minimaps.

Zaskarspants
04-04-2018, 15:32
I know.... General graphic are fine, but there is a poor visibility of texts and especially minimaps.

Well, I confess i had my new tv for two weeks befor I worked out how to set up HDR properly. So you have everything adjusted but have unreadable text? You did the adjust the squares thingy?

Running HDR I have one type face that appears to be rendered a deeper black but nothing is unreadable. Is it that?