PDA

View Full Version : Leaderboards on consoles

simsimsheree
19-03-2018, 19:16
I just found out that car leaderboards are much more restricted on consoles than PC. I understand this is a console issue, not the game, so completely understandable.

Please forgive this newbie question, but is there somewhere online that I can look up the complete leaderboards (per car/track) updated live (or close to it)?

McKiernan
19-03-2018, 21:10
http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=2509185801&vehicle=1934199723

foxymop
20-03-2018, 09:40
Isn't that board pc only?

Mahjik
20-03-2018, 13:39
Isn't that board pc only?

Yes.

McKiernan
20-03-2018, 17:40
Sorry if I misunderstood, but I thought that the OP was aware that complete leaderboards weren't available for console. I figured that posting a link to the PC leaderboards the OP could get an idea of what kinds of times were being recorded for various cars and tracks. Probably not what they were looking for but I thought that they could give some representative times.

Cladandadum
20-03-2018, 18:02
Unfortunately, this limitation makes time trials on the PS4, kind of pointless. Curse you Sony:confused:

simsimsheree
20-03-2018, 18:39
If the online leaderboard is PC only, that's not a console limitation. That's an SMS limitation..!

How hard would it be to combine the data from all 3 platforms?

This is what I was basically referring to... If there isn't already, there should be somewhere where top times gathered from ALL players can be checked. We don't need it in-game. And console players don't need to be partitioned off from the rest of the player base.

Mind you, from what I have read, the live weather feature (where you can get the game set to the actual weather at any track) gets its data from looking up a website. So why can't the leaderboards use a similar system? Pick a car/track combo, the game goes off to SMS's site, and returns the current top time...

Sorry if I am being naive, but that really doesn't sound that hard.

DozUK
20-03-2018, 18:41
You can only have one entry on a partucular leaderboard on the ps4. So if you set a time in a particular car then set a faster one in a different car in the same class you lose the slower time (Even though its your fastest in that car/track combo)

DozUK
20-03-2018, 18:44
If the online leaderboard is PC only, that's not a console limitation. That's an SMS limitation..!

How hard would it be to combine the data from all 3 platforms?

This is what I was basically referring to... If there isn't already, there should be somewhere where top times gathered from ALL players can be checked. We don't need it in-game. And console players don't need to be partitioned off from the rest of the player base.

Mind you, from what I have read, the live weather feature (where you can get the game set to the actual weather at any track) gets its data from looking up a website. So why can't the leaderboards use a similar system? Pick a car/track combo, the game goes off to SMS's site, and returns the current top time...

Consoles cant use real weather for that very same limitation.

Mahjik
20-03-2018, 18:49

It's not that it's hard, it requires work, infrastructure, recurring income to pay for the servers, ongoing maintenance, etc... SMS mentioned they were looking into options in this space if there is a PC3. No guarantees if there is a PC3 or if there is room (budget and time wise) for it.

simsimsheree
20-03-2018, 19:01
SMS could balance the cost against the coming together of the ENTIRE player base into one community. That's some serious benefit to a small game. If you don't have Forza or GTS level numbers, arbitrarily dividing them even further just leaves the player with the feeling he's not playing with many people.

And playing a game that the devs don't really care about that aspect.

SMS are already paying for servers to maintain separate leaderboards. Separate maintenance, separate infrastructure, separate income. All this idea seems to do is combine all three DB's into one. Something your average programmer should be pretty familiar with. It's not like it ADDS any more entries. It just combines them.

Or am I missing something?

Mahjik
20-03-2018, 19:18
SMS are already paying for servers to maintain separate leaderboards.

Not exactly. They are using the platform specific services (which is why there are limitations on the Microsoft and Sony sides). i.e. the platforms have space which they allow developers to have "scoreboards" per say. Not every developer hosts their own stats as that would make it hard for the small developers.

Steam is a little more open which is why the leaderboards are more useful on the PC side..

Heck, if they had their own hosting they could even do cross-play. ;)

simsimsheree
20-03-2018, 19:48
Aha! Light starting to come on... So, the reason I'm seeing so few lobbies and players is, I'm only playing PS4 players? SMS certainly don't go out of their way to wideband that! :mad:

The more I get into this game, the more I'm grateful for its robust AI. Seems like I'll be playing them most of the time, apparently.

cpcdem
20-03-2018, 20:22
As far as I know, almost every single game out there has multiplayer per platform only. The exceptions are very very few I think.

g.stew
20-03-2018, 20:40
As far as I know, almost every single game out there has multiplayer per platform only. The exceptions are very very few I think.

So far, the only cross-platform play has been between Windows and Xbox One. At one point they were talking about any future Microsoft published games would support this, but others could too. That new Sea of Thieves game that just came out supports cross-platform play.

So, it is the future, but it's probably a while from being the norm.

DozUK
21-03-2018, 00:09
So far, the only cross-platform play has been between Windows and Xbox One. At one point they were talking about any future Microsoft published games would support this, but others could too. That new Sea of Thieves game that just came out supports cross-platform play.

So, it is the future, but it's probably a while from being the norm.

DC Universe online is Cross platform for PC and PS4 (May even be xbox too). Big online rpg and great as a result of cross play.

Dirt4 has Cross platform leaderboard and cross platform competitions rather than Cross play. You can create a rally completion with stages and players can enter regardless of platform

simsimsheree
21-03-2018, 02:34
I'd love to see a cost/benefit analysis of this. Especially for such a niche game.

There's probably a REASON Forza and Gran Turismo rule the roost in their respective platforms. At least the players KNOW that, if they top a leaderboard, they actually are tops in the game. And they know that they are playing 100% of the player base. This balkanization of player base on what is already a small player base game pretty much ensures that PC2 remains a niche PS4 game. Such a shame, as I truly believe with little more than a few tweaks and SMS's willingness to find a way to make it more noob-friendly without losing a single hardcore element, this is the ne plus ultra of racing games. There is something here for EVERYONE, except apparently, enough handholding for the new migrant from arcade games, and a unified player base.

But SMS seem so reluctant to go after Gran Turismo's player base with any gusto. As weak as the franchise is right now, this is the perfect time. Most of my old Friends HATE GTS compared to GT6. But they play the PC2 demo, spin out on cold tires, scratch their heads trying to find a decent FFB setup in the morass of conflicting advice from PC players seemingly unaware of console differences, look with dismay at the barren lobby list dominated by bad drivers in GT3 cars, and run back to Momma, tails between their legs..!

It's a tough call for SMS to put in a herculean effort to make the game playable on consoles when it it designed from the ground up for far more powerful PC's. It seems weird so much effort is needed for what, 25% of the base (if even that) to have an acceptable gaming experience, then abandon that 25% to their own little sector. Not even a unified leaderboard, let alone a unified player base. I sometimes wonder why they even bother!

I went from a completely full Friends List of good clean players in GT6 to a tiny handful of the same in PC2. That's a tough pill to swallow...

Thank God for the AI!

Say it with me, PS4 players....

THANK GOD FOR THE AI!

simsimsheree
21-03-2018, 02:39
BTW, I distinctly remember a unified online leaderboard for Shift or Shift2 (hard to think back that far!). I was top ten on a couple of tracks. Yes, in console you saw only your console. But online on a website, they had a unified leaderboard.

So, what happened? How come they had the money for that then, and don't now? Or is it perhaps just a BIT easier than some here think? :confused:

Bealdor
21-03-2018, 07:55
So, what happened? How come they had the money for that then, and don't now?

EA...

eruvadhor
21-03-2018, 09:03
limitations are bullshit... Forza 4 from 2011 on Xbox 360 had leaderboards with around 600 cars !! every car and track had his own leaderboard and it was visible online on their website...
and 2018 it is not longer possible? sure...

Bealdor
21-03-2018, 09:17
limitations are bullshit... Forza 4 from 2011 on Xbox 360 had leaderboards with around 600 cars !! every car and track had his own leaderboard and it was visible online on their website...

Turn 10 Studios are a first party developer just like PD are one on PS4. Of course they're getting a special treatment by MS and Sony compared to regular devs like SMS.

And yes, there are actually MORE restrictions on XB1 and PS4 than on last gen consoles in some cases.

RoccoTTS
21-03-2018, 10:09

They don't have a leaderboard for all 600 cars, only for the 11 car classes.

simsimsheree
22-03-2018, 21:42
Like I said... cost/benefit.

seems like SMS consider unified leaderboards of no benefit...

cpcdem
22-03-2018, 22:52
They are currently using already proven (almost) bullet proof, extremely widely used infrastructure for leaderboards, which is supplied to game developers by Steam, MS and Sony. Unfortunately all and especially the ones by MS and Sony come with limitations, like limited amount of leaderboards and I assume it is also impossible or very difficult to read the MS/Sony leaderboards from outside their respective platform in order to unify them with the PC ones (this one is speculation though, I have no definitve knowledge about that).

In order to properly do unified leaderboards (or even more, cross platform racing), then they would need to build a complete infrastructure themselves from the ground up, with servers etc. We have already seen plenty problems with the "real weather" option, which communicates with a server to read the weather, I can only imagine the amount of potential problems relying that much in a new custom infrastructure for leaderboards and cross play, until at least it is refined, tested and tested and retested, refined etc. Not to mention that the existing APIs give them close integration with "Friends" and stuff like that, so you can easily invite friends to races, compare times with them etc, not sure if this would be even possible with a standalone solution.

Having said that, I also really hope they will look into for PC3 at least, it would be fantastic having unified leaderboards and/or cross platform multiplayer. But I very well understand them if they don't, I mean many even very larger studios do not attempt something like that..