PDA

View Full Version : Setup tweaks for good starts off the line

aceracer
20-03-2018, 09:20
Hi all,

I lose several positions every time at the start when I race online (never tried racing with AI). Coniderably slower drivers fly past me at the start.

I am fairly quick und usually compete for the pole and win, at least for the podium. But even when on pole, everyone flies past me at the start. Thgis happens every time on all the tracks I race.

I mostly race GT3 and I mostly use setups I get from hotlaps through the sharing function, then I slightly tweak them to fit my driving.

So my questions:

1) Maybe I'm doing sth wrong? Basically I rev up to full revs and drop in the gear at the green light (like I've done all my life)
2) Do hotlap setup maybe not hav the gear ratio for quick starts?
3) I never even get wheelspin. Is that the normal traction control behaviour or is it that my setups have too little preload on the diff (or sth else I may be missing?)
4) Is there a way to disable TC for the start to get off the line quickly and then switch it back on? Is this sth people would usually do?

I've been sim racing all my life (I'm 48) and while I'm not an alien I have always been quick, and have always been decent off the line - so I'm a bit surprised by my persistent bad starts in PC2. I do admit that I've never raced cars with TC and driving aids, most of my online racing was in calsses that don't have these aids.

Thanks for any pointers!

Chris

CastrolGT
20-03-2018, 09:35
if you have a clutch, you can do the followings:
1) stay in neutral, full rev at the 3rd red row, release a bit the clutch and shift when green(or just before). slowly release the clutch to gain more speed at the start.
2) if the starting line is flat, you can shift into first, full rev at 3rd red row and on green, release slowly the clutch. even more speed at the start.

that's what I do and I have pretty much enough speed to overtake the pole if I'm second right at the start. or putting a gap in the field if I am on pole

aceracer
20-03-2018, 09:48
if you have a clutch, you can do the followings:

Thanks C., unfortunately I don't have a clutch - maybe I should configure it. I have my clutch configured as brake pedal because the brake pedal on my G27 is so hard I find it totally unusable ... maybe I should try configuring the brake pedal for clutch just for the starts.

I doubt most players have a clutch though, and they still all fly past me ...

aceracer
20-03-2018, 10:03
"unfortunately I don't have a clutch"

*Update: I'm an idiot! I don't use clutch but I had automatic clutch set "off". So at the start I'd drop in the gear and almost stall ... that's why I never got off the line.

Been doing this for months now ... lol ... and always kept wondering what I was doing wrong .. how dumb is that? lol :)

Hopefully this post helps other who my have made the same mistake!

Thanks for the help!

Bealdor
20-03-2018, 10:06
Thanks C., unfortunately I don't have a clutch - maybe I should configure it. I have my clutch configured as brake pedal because the brake pedal on my G27 is so hard I find it totally unusable ... maybe I should try configuring the brake pedal for clutch just for the starts.

I doubt most players have a clutch though, and they still all fly past me ...

That's strange to hear because everyone I know (including myself ;)) think that the G27 brake pedal is much too weak.
There's even mods available to make it significantly stronger.

CastrolGT
20-03-2018, 10:45
That's strange to hear because everyone I know (including myself ;)) think that the G27 brake pedal is much too weak.

lol even if my T500RS stock pedals are stronger than the G25/27 ones, I still find them very weak. so I stiffened them and replace the brake with a DIY hydraulic one when the potentiometer failed

aceracer
20-03-2018, 11:21

Apologies for the confusion, force of habit, I meant to say: "G920" :)

The brake pedal on that thing is so hard and has such little range that I find it impossible to use. So I configured the clutch as the brake. Since I left foot brake that's perfect.

I do realise that the clutch is a little on the soft side for a brake pedal and had way too much range but that actually plays into my driving as I tend to feather quite a bit on brakes which on the hardass G920 pedal is close to impossible ...

Cheers

Chris

Invincible
20-03-2018, 11:41
Apologies for the confusion, force of habit, I meant to say: "G920" :)

The brake pedal on that thing is so hard and has such little range that I find it impossible to use. So I configured the clutch as the brake. Since I left foot brake that's perfect.

I do realise that the clutch is a little on the soft side for a brake pedal and had way too much range but that actually plays into my driving as I tend to feather quite a bit on brakes which on the hardass G920 pedal is close to impossible ...

Cheers

Chris

I've had the G29 which was the same pedals and the brake was way too soft for me. Now I'm running Fanatec CSP V3's with the stiffest brake setting possible and the loadcell set to 90kg of force. If the G29 pedal really is too stiff, is there maybe something wrong with it?

aceracer
20-03-2018, 12:08
I've had the G29 which was the same pedals and the brake was way too soft for me. Now I'm running Fanatec CSP V3's with the stiffest brake setting possible and the loadcell set to 90kg of force. If the G29 pedal really is too stiff, is there maybe something wrong with it?

I guess everyone has their preference. :D

The G920 has a rubber cushion underneath the brake pedal which prevents the pedal from travelling 100% I can get to maybe 60% or 70%. The cushion gives you the impression of resistance and weight you need to apply to brakes in a real car as opposed to gas/clutch.

However I find the cushion so stiff, even with all my strength and bodyweight on top of it I can't get past 80%. And I also can't brake a few hundred times over the course of a race applying that kind of pressure. My 2 sons could definitely not get past 50%.

So I could recalibrate the pedal to get 100% brake power on 70% pedal travel but then I find there's way too little travel. I aslo fid that the rubber cushion is almost on/off. So yes, it makes it real stiff like a "real" racing car brake and I'm sure it's more realistic than my solution. But for me it's totally unusable and takes any enjoyemnt out of my racing. I like soft and lots of travel :)

If you google G920 brake too stiff you'll find plenty of videos and posts of people removing the rubber cushion which I guess would be ideal. But I actually like my feet being apart a little, like in a cart, I find that comfortabler - so I'll stick with my clutchbrake :)

Obviously I'm not a heel/toe kinda guy :)

Cheers

Chris

**Update: I forgot one more thing: Although not realistic I like a definite stop to the pedal movement. So I know I'm at 100% when I reach it. Like my gas pedal. I don't like pressing and guessing how hard I'm braking. That may work in a real car but it doesn't work for me in a sim. With the rubber damper underneath the pedal I can never reach 100% so I never know how much I'm braking.

I'm not a "feel" driver. I need references. I also have clear brake points and turn in points on all tracks I race. Goin by feel doesn't hack it for me, I don't have that sort of talent :)

Zaskarspants
20-03-2018, 12:50
I have a g920 and I like the stiff feel. A floppy pedal in a real car indicates the brakes are fading or fluid boiling.

If you want it less stiff then do not depress to 100% during calibration. Try a lower figure.

aceracer
20-03-2018, 15:14
If you want it less stiff then do not depress to 100% during calibration. Try a lower figure.

Yes, I tried that first. Then the range of movement of the pedal becomes very small, I prefer quite a large range.

I agree, in a real car my "sim brake" would feel wrong ... on the other hand in a real car I can't left foot brake for the life of me and in sims I always do ... and manually blip if necessary, which in a real car woul probably make me kill myself :)

In fact in a real car I would prefer a hard brake over a soft one.

In a real car I also know how much pressue I apply, in a sim I can never be sure until I skid or the ABS kicks in. You only know from memory because you learnt the tracks and the cars.

I guess everyone has their own tastes and setups to get the most out of their toys :)

cpcdem
20-03-2018, 17:06
4) Is there a way to disable TC for the start to get off the line quickly and then switch it back on? Is this sth people would usually do?

That's exactly what I always do with the GT3s, and I found that this is more than enough for a good start, no matter if I use auto clutch on or off (I have the exact same problem like you with my G29, so I use the clutch pedal as brake). Just map a wheel button to TC in the key assignments in the options page, use it to disable TC before the start and then quickly tap it again one or two times to put it back to the setting you prefer (LOW or HIGH).

Of course another very important thing is to time the start very well, just after you see the green lights. Or, to be more precise, just before you see the green lights, but obviously this has some risk as well :)

Atak Kat
20-03-2018, 19:12
I tend to use:
- TC on, low
- somewhere 10-14% TC slip
- Tire pressures usually around 1.3 to 1.35 on the rear
- I do tend to run my rear suspension pretty soft. Not sure if that impacts but common sense tells me that it helps with the launch.

I use clutch launch. Put into 1st just before green light, rev, then launch with clutch. I don't pay much attention to the clutch timing and try to feather anything. I just let it out. I don't dump it, just let it out.

Normally I launch OK, maybe a bit of wheelspin, but not much. If it's too much, I lighten up on the gas a bit until it grabs.

Most GT3 cars it, the above seems to work well for me. For whatever reason, the Ferrari doesn't really have a great/fantastic launch. On the other hand, GT3 Porsche is a rocket offline. You always see the Porsche jump ahead several positions against Ferrari's on the launch. This is what I find when driving the Porsche, as well.

None of the above will get you an advantage off the line, but it should at least keep you in the running and not getting left behind. I find that launch results have more to do with who can time the green light, or more often when someone launches slightly early and doesn't get a penalty.