PDA

View Full Version : Road Courses/Street Circuits

Richie Padalino
20-03-2018, 14:16
A question here; (and this isn't a track request post, so please don't move it, thank you)
I remember seeing Ian Bell talking about various tracks and the cost behind their rights and using them, etc. During this thread he mentioned that as Monaco is actually just a public road, no rights are therefore applied, all they have to do is change the name, hence "Azure".

So my question is, if this is the case, why not have all the famous road courses and street circuits?

Singapore?
Macau?
Melbourne?
Isle of Man TT Circuit!? (Imagine that!)

To name but a few, just off the top of my head.

So, if the cost is in relation, fairly minimal, why isn't it done?
And not necessarily just by Project Cars and SMS, but any racing game?

Bealdor
20-03-2018, 14:22
Street circuits are much more expensive in creation than regular race tracks because of the high amount of public buildings etc. surrounding them.

Regarding "fairly minimal" costs, have a read here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46492-Isle-of-Man-3D-Scan-Kickstarter-5&p=1277586&viewfull=1#post1277586

Richie Padalino
20-03-2018, 14:28
Street circuits are much more expensive in creation than regular race tracks because of the high amount of public buildings etc. surrounding them.

Regarding "fairly minimal" costs, have a read here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?46492-Isle-of-Man-3D-Scan-Kickstarter-5&p=1277586&viewfull=1#post1277586

Ah, I see. Purely the cost of the rights that is the minimal bit. Something at least ;)

Thanks for this. Much appreciated. Good to know.

So, is the cost of the Isle of Man course even higher, because it is so much longer? And then, on top of that, all the extra immerse detail, houses, landscapes, streets, etc etc?

Isle of Man course would be amazing. I think anyway.

But that's a high cost.

Ofnir4
20-03-2018, 14:32
For that amount of money you could secure a lot of permanent tracks' license with pre-existing laser scans.

Maybe also consider the fact that street courses aren't always the best the race on, having 5 or 6 of them would be overkill compared to the usage they see by the players. Meaning resources ill-spent on redundant content.
Unless it came in a package deal with a license like indycar (St pete, Long beach, Bell isle, toronto).

FS7
20-03-2018, 14:33
Iirc Macau was supposed to be in PCars1, not sure what went wrong for it to be canceled.

Mahjik
20-03-2018, 15:40
It's not just licensing costs. There is a cost for development to put the track into the sim. It actually takes quite a bit of time and resources to bring a track into PC2. There are only so many resources at SMS's disposal so they have to balancing everything out.