PDA

View Full Version : Is the BMW M1 Procar just slow or is it me?

IceShaft
21-03-2018, 17:36
Like I said, maybe it's just me but I really can't get the car to run anywhere closer to the max speed (330 km/h, IIR...) declared on the car selection menu.
I know that it is just a theoretical number reachable only on very specific conditions, but even when messing with downforce, tires, radiator, gearing and fuel, I can't make it go faster than 260 km/h at Le Mans.
Also the acceleration is very weak, on shorter tracks I can hardly reach 240 km/h.
That makes it much slower than most of the Group 5 cars of the same era.
Honestly I have no idea if that is the correct speed of the car compared to those turbo monsters or maybe I just can't tune it properly.
I was wondering what you people think about it :confused:

AbeWoz
21-03-2018, 17:38
close brake ducts, min aero, 0 radiator, make sure tires are at proper pressure.

IceShaft
21-03-2018, 17:53
close brake ducts, min aero, 0 radiator, make sure tires are at proper pressure.

I did just that, that's how I reach 260 km/h at the Mulsanne straight just before the first chicane.

AbeWoz
21-03-2018, 17:57
I did just that, that's how I reach 260 km/h at the Mulsanne straight just before the first chicane.

are you running out of track or gear?

IceShaft
21-03-2018, 18:12
Nope, I try the best line out of the corner before the straight.
I'm not saying I do the perfect line, far from it, but it's the same line that I run with other cars.

About the gearing there's not much room for adjustments, just one or maybe two clicks otherwise they overlap.

AbeWoz
21-03-2018, 18:14
final drive ratio?

i would test at le mans from Muslanne corner down to Indianapolis. No chicanes.

But i'll jump in and take a peak when I get home from work.

riverreveal
21-03-2018, 18:23
In response to the thread title: Its just you.

I jest, I actually found it to be slow accelerating compared to other group 5 cars as well.

Bealdor
21-03-2018, 18:52
In response to the thread title: Its just you.

I jest, I actually found it to be slow accelerating compared to other group 5 cars as well.

Maybe that's because it's a Group 4 car... :p

poirqc
21-03-2018, 20:01
I don't know if it's fast or slow, but it's fun as hell! :D

Mad Al
21-03-2018, 20:14
One of only a couple of Grp 5 M1s ever built (retro fitted with 700BHP Chevy motor and running in IMSA originally, rather than the twin turbo 800BHP straight 6 BMW planned)
I'm fairly sure this way running at Goodwood at the weekend in the Grp 5 high speed demonstration runs

https://youtu.be/2gEPHtRdqXs?t=482

There is also a Sauber Grp 5 car around (not sure of its history, but there is footage on youtube)

PS, Best I can do is 173 mph...

IceShaft
21-03-2018, 20:23
Maybe that's because it's a Group 4 car... :p

I know, but still it seems very slow compared to both her contemporary cars and the theoretical max speed listed on the car selection page.
Would be interesting to read official stats of the time just to have a comparison with the real car. :distracted:

John Hargreaves
21-03-2018, 22:23
It's certainly a blast to drive and if you run a one make race then it's not much of an issue. Sounds beautiful as well, but it's a lovely balanced racing car.

IceShaft
22-03-2018, 01:33
It's certainly a blast to drive and if you run a one make race then it's not much of an issue. Sounds beautiful as well, but it's a lovely balanced racing car.

It is! It's one of my favorite cars in the game!

MrA2theK
22-03-2018, 15:42
i was driving it last night, wow what a car. It does exactly what you want it to do.
With the shifter it was all immersive, heal and toe'ing it was great. Fully recommended

Foofer37
22-03-2018, 18:34
One of the best, if not the best cars in the game for me. And.... the sound is fantastic on this one.

Rheyza
01-05-2018, 02:21
Ok here's my 2 cents that might help a bit at least.

Firstly Tyre Pressures: If you get the tyres ballooning e.g. a bit higher than recommended pressure, they will offer less road resistance to allow faster speeds down the straits. But not so good for cornering.

Oil and water temps and pressure: If you get these balanced in the optimal range you will reach the peak engine performance for the car. So peak Horsepower and peak Torque. Stands to reason then when your maxed out in 5th your gonna have more hp and torque to get that little bit more speed.

These are some real world numbers I have found in my research to find an edge. Remember this is a simulator so the real world specs and recommendations will apply in game. So far this has proven to be true.

200-220f water
93-104 Deg C

230-260f oil
110-126 Deg C

Do you own research, you might find these values to be a bit off of different for different cars oils and so on. From what I can tell those are the high performance oil specs.

Flat-6
01-05-2018, 19:39

Is closing the radiator and brake ducts strictly a sim racing video game exploit or is this also done in real life racing at the professional level?

morpwr
01-05-2018, 20:11
Is closing the radiator and brake ducts strictly a sim racing video game exploit or is this also done in real life racing at the professional level?

Its done in real life also. In nascar an extra hotdog wrapper can make the car run hot. They tape the grill opening to control temps and downforce so any extra picked up by accident can cause problems.