PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars' absurd physics?

TheMagicalNoodle
22-03-2018, 04:38
So I'm blasting down the road at 110 mph and forget to hit the brakes when I come up to a corner. I then notice the corner and slam on the brakes, I lose control and smash into a car that is going a measly 50 mph. The car doesn't go flying into the wall, nor does it spin out of control. No, no... This car moves a couple of feet from where it was, as if it hasn't even been hit. However, one tiny tap of the gas makes my car turn into a merry-go-round. Why is every car game like this? Is it really that hard to make some car physics that make sense? If I'm driving next to another car and hit the rear wheels from the side, it should spin out of control, not turn a little.

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 04:51
I actually find its really easy to spin ai opponents by gently leaning on their rear quarter. And lapses in concentration have caused me to hit an opponent at speed. But physics isnt so straight forward for instance you have to take into account the car you hit is going slowly probably braking. Hes pretty much a dead weight. Your the car with the momentum and more likely depending on the and angle you hit him. Weight diffence. Esp if your car was lighter? Will travel further as a result. Ive spent all my adult life driving as my job. Witnessed countless accidents. And how where some cars end up is bizarre.

John Hargreaves
22-03-2018, 08:33
I think the 'normal' collisions, at racing speed, are really well done in PC2. It's easy to punt off an opponent in front and make them spin if you make a mistake. I think what you have noticed here is what you might call an out of the envelope case, because at that speed, the crumpling of the bodyshell should influence what happens in the collision, but we aren't at the point of soft body physics just yet. I think in a lot of games those really high speed crashes don't give the right results. I think iRacing is famous for this for instance. It's just where we are in terms of available processing power.
Try Beam NG or Wreckfest for dramatic collisions, their physics engines are designed primarily for crashing and they look great.

johnnyone
22-03-2018, 10:08
One thing that bugs me is,when you spin a car out is the car doesnt spin out, it starts to spin,but it stops sideways in front of you and seems stuck there, and you cant go any further the car is stuck on your front.

Sankyo
22-03-2018, 11:08
Exactly what John stated, crash physics in race sims are not absurd but simplified w.r.t. reality due to the lack of certain physical effects that are too costly to implement. Cars in race sims are rigid and rather simple shapes, pCARS then adds a spring model to approximate soft-body physics but that won't bridge the gap to recreate the complex forces that occur when collision energy gets absorbed and dispersed through soft and disconnecting parts of the car.

Foofer37
22-03-2018, 12:51
Let the defenders of the game begin defending. Standard procedure.

Bealdor
22-03-2018, 13:00

And once again, explaining why certain things are as they are equals defending the game/finding excuses/shilling to you.

Get a new record buddy. This one sounds broken...

RomKnight
22-03-2018, 13:00
Crash physics != car physics

Just letting this one here, just in case.

And also, make sure those brake, turn assists were not enabled by accident either. They can make the car do weird stuff but they're primarily for kids.

/edit

ninja'd by Remco... sorry. I really didn't saw his post!

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 13:29

Although most regular posters are helpful. It does frustrate me that some are super defensive and post replies to any post that critiques any part off pcars even when poster are trying to be constructive or just frustratated. although not blatantly attacking anyone they are patronising in tone. And just as bad as trolls and haters.

foxymop
22-03-2018, 14:02
You're trying to spin the other cars?
You're not thinking going online no? :nightmare:

Joking

Yeah, Beam NG is awesome for crashing.

Sankyo
22-03-2018, 14:20

The OP stated

Why is every car game like this?

If you read my reply carefully, I was also talking about race sims in general. So maybe the one that is jumping on it too quickly is you...

Mahjik
22-03-2018, 15:07
I lose control and smash into a car that is going a measly 50 mph. The car doesn't go flying into the wall, nor does it spin out of control. No, no... This car moves a couple of feet from where it was, as if it hasn't even been hit.

Physics don't work that way. There is energy absorption when a collision happens as well as opposing friction as to how much/far something will travel against its will. Only in Hollywood or Mario Kart do vehicles go flying when hit.

RoccoTTS
22-03-2018, 15:16

Have you ever tried to go to a Ferrari meeting and shout real hard "Ferrari s****, Porsche is way better" ? What do you expect is going to happen ?

You are on a PC2 forum, full of people who love this game, so is it not normal people gonna defend their favorite game ? Is this not how any other forum works ?

rich1e I
22-03-2018, 17:49
It's written in my contract with the forum owners: Whenever and whatever Foofer37 posts It's my duty to fight him with everything I learned in the several rhetoric schoolings I attended.

rosko
22-03-2018, 17:51
So I'm blasting down the road at 110 mph and forget to hit the brakes when I come up to a corner. I then notice the corner and slam on the brakes, I lose control and smash into a car that is going a measly 50 mph. The car doesn't go flying into the wall, nor does it spin out of control. No, no... This car moves a couple of feet from where it was, as if it hasn't even been hit. However, one tiny tap of the gas makes my car turn into a merry-go-round. Why is every car game like this? Is it really that hard to make some car physics that make sense? If I'm driving next to another car and hit the rear wheels from the side, it should spin out of control, not turn a little.

Sorry but If you have been unable to figure this out for yourself then there is little point in trying to explain it to you.

demand34
22-03-2018, 17:55
I don't think the crash physics are that bad honestly. They are perfectly fine with the casual oddities sometimes.

Foofer37
22-03-2018, 18:15
Just saying that very little that is posted as honest criticism is given any airtime. If someone posts an obvious bug, that perhaps will get looked into. But other criticisms are fought off tooth and nail. OP is immediately told why he's wrong and then everyone jumps on saying things like "Why are you trying to spin cars off the track?" etc, etc. "Maybe you should play something else, like Super Mario Kart"
We're tired of these responses too you know.
It gives an air of defensiveness perhaps in the hopes that others just feel too dumb to post anything. Why have forums then?
Just realize that through people's experience with PCars 2 and sharing that experience on the forum good or bad is what could be taken action on to make it better. There's tons of defensiveness and it's totally not necessary.
I know this post of mine will argued against as well, blah blah. Whatever, just give it some thought.

Raklodder
22-03-2018, 18:16
The only thing I would say is "absurd" about the physics, is when you've flying cars during a collision, but even that puts a smile on my face.

Mahjik
22-03-2018, 19:07
"Maybe you should play something else, like Super Mario Kart"

Where exactly was that said in this thread?

John Hargreaves
22-03-2018, 19:13
Just saying that very little that is posted as honest criticism is given any airtime. If someone posts an obvious bug, that perhaps will get looked into. But other criticisms are fought off tooth and nail. OP is immediately told why he's wrong and then everyone jumps on saying things like "Why are you trying to spin cars off the track?" etc, etc. "Maybe you should play something else, like Super Mario Kart"
It gives an air of defensiveness perhaps in the hopes that others just feel too dumb to post anything. Why have forums then?
Just realize that through people's experience with PCars 2 and sharing that experience on the forum good or bad is what could be taken action on to make it better. There's tons of defensiveness and it's totally not necessary.
I know this post of mine will argued against as well, blah blah. Whatever, just give it some thought.

OP asked a fair question and the replies gave him the answer. Only defensiveness is against posts that are downright rude or unpleasant.

Brainbug
22-03-2018, 19:42
I also like the „normal „ collisions. Mostly working great

Only thing is that maybe cars are flying quite often, at least i see that in many online races.

Sankyo
22-03-2018, 20:10
I think you're reading things that nobody posted.
Nobody said the OP is wrong, it was only explained why collisions work as they do in race sims.
Where do you see that honest criticism doesn't 'get any airtime'? Do you mean that honest criticism (i.e. opinions) cannot be disagreed with or argued about?
Have you ever considered that people giving honest criticism may just be airing an opinion that can be discussed? Or that it can even be wrong?
Why do you think that shared (negative) ecxperiences are not being taken into account to make the game better? Or do you mean that every bit of criticism should be turned into action without considering whether it's actually true, or beneficial to the game?

In general what happens on this (or any other product forum) is that opinions are being discussed. That's not the same as being defensive. Sometimes extreme criticism is posted, and naturally that can invoke extreme reactions. You reap what you sow, and you cannot demand that criticism can be posted any way you like, but responses should always be polite, never disagreeing etc. That's not how this works at all.

FWIW I personally think that collisions in race sims don't look very realistic either in general, but I'm well aware that there are many forms of limitations and considerations that prevent devs from making them look better.

awaite85
22-03-2018, 21:33

What i'm trying to figure out is, why did you forget to brake? This isn't Mario Kart.

Please stay out of the lobbies.

rosko
22-03-2018, 22:29

Its a game with limited resources that are prioritised. They are good enough for the gameplay.
And i only come here as i thought it might be a juicy discussion around the tyre physics. :D

Foofer37
23-03-2018, 03:01
What i'm trying to figure out is, why did you forget to brake? This isn't Mario Kart.

Please stay out of the lobbies.

And there you have it

Sampo
23-03-2018, 03:08
Wow. Was that all you got from this thread?

Sankyo
23-03-2018, 07:55
Wow. Was that all you got from this thread?
It's called confirmation bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias).

riverreveal
23-03-2018, 15:27
It's called confirmation bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias).

I actually found that quite interesting, thanks!

You come into a thread about car physics, you get a little bit of light-hearted drama to eat your biscuit with, and wash it down with a nice cup of coffee while learning a bit of psychology.

Who says these forums aren't cultured.

John Hargreaves
23-03-2018, 15:58
You do get a much better class of troll vs fanboy around here ;)

Lord of the Racing
23-03-2018, 19:11
Have you ever tried to go to a Ferrari meeting and shout real hard "Ferrari s****, Porsche is way better" ? What do you expect is going to happen ?

You are on a PC2 forum, full of people who love this game, so is it not normal people gonna defend their favorite game ? Is this not how any other forum works ?
Absolutely logic. Holy Bible

Krobo
23-03-2018, 19:21

Nailed it ...!
Its in every thread/forum on the net ...
& the title of this thread sets the tone by assuming the psyx are absurd .. so playing with matches here & theirs lots of gas in the paddocks !

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 01:11
You do get a much better class of troll vs fanboy around here ;)

You certainly do. Thats why i tend to take both sides.

And fanboys and trolls i take either side when either side has merit or is constructive