PDA

View Full Version : Ginetta Junior Knockhill Int. - Wet race troubles

Tyoi
22-03-2018, 09:26
So, I got this problem...

A few days ago I plugged in my G27, started up pCars2 and clicked new driver. I typed in my name, verified the flag still has the same colors and clicked ok. I wanted to start out at the beginning and I choose the Ginetta Junior series. An introductory movie confirmed that I would look badass driving this car so I choose a livery and signed the contract. First race up is Oulton Island (dry). I bumped up the AI difficulty to 100 and agression to 75. Got in my car and began practicing for a few hours (8-ish). After practicing I got to a reasonably consistent pace doing laptimes from 1:12:800-1:13:200's. Did a quali, 2-3 seconds faster than second place. Did race, smoked everone again with a pace 2-3 seconds higher (lower?). So, I'm thinking "Gee, I can turn the AI up more, this is too easy."

But wait...

Knockhill Int. in 'light rain' is up, and I'm sucking so bad the track should be bone dry. Pole does a 1:04:800 where I'm struggeling keeping the car consistent (on the track). Best lap time I can do, and I can do it only once in a few laps, is a 1:05:600. Mostly though I'm at 1:08's or even 1:10's. Tuning the shit out of the limited options on the car doesn't seem to improve much, so it's probably my driving.

I'm now left wondering, after around yet again 8-10 hours practice, if I'm just unrealistic trying to drive to pole/1:04:800's. Tips, pointers and/or constructive critisism is greatly appreciated.

I did notice a few 'issues' with the AI: They fly over the white lines in the chicane (first left turn), where I will collect a penalty if I try the same. They only seem to touch the brake for half a second before blasting trought turn 'Clark' (next turn after the chicane, leading up to the back straight). Me doing the same results in catastrophe. On the straight, in 4th gear they suddenly have more power and drive past me. Even though we are side-by-side from the last turn, shifting at the same time (5500rpm-103HP). We remain equal trough 2nd and 3th gear, but when hitting 4th they suddenly gain (a lot).

Miscellaneous question: Numerous documents, sites, forum post are to be found on (hot) tire pressures and tire/brake temps for the GT3 and Formula something, LMP and ect etc etc. but I can't seem to find a single one for the Ginetta Junior series. Again, if someone have some idea at what pressure/temp I should aim for, please do tell.

Keena
22-03-2018, 10:30
So, I got this problem...

A few days ago I plugged in my G27, started up pCars2 and clicked new driver. I typed in my name, verified the flag still has the same colors and clicked ok. I wanted to start out at the beginning and I choose the Ginetta Junior series. An introductory movie confirmed that I would look badass driving this car so I choose a livery and signed the contract. First race up is Oulton Island (dry). I bumped up the AI difficulty to 100 and agression to 75. Got in my car and began practicing for a few hours (8-ish). After practicing I got to a reasonably consistent pace doing laptimes from 1:12:800-1:13:200's. Did a quali, 2-3 seconds faster than second place. Did race, smoked everone again with a pace 2-3 seconds higher (lower?). So, I'm thinking "Gee, I can turn the AI up more, this is too easy."

But wait...

Knockhill Int. in 'light rain' is up, and I'm sucking so bad the track should be bone dry. Pole does a 1:04:800 where I'm struggeling keeping the car consistent (on the track). Best lap time I can do, and I can do it only once in a few laps, is a 1:05:600. Mostly though I'm at 1:08's or even 1:10's. Tuning the shit out of the limited options on the car doesn't seem to improve much, so it's probably my driving.

I'm now left wondering, after around yet again 8-10 hours practice, if I'm just unrealistic trying to drive to pole/1:04:800's. Tips, pointers and/or constructive critisism is greatly appreciated.

I did notice a few 'issues' with the AI: They fly over the white lines in the chicane (first left turn), where I will collect a penalty if I try the same. They only seem to touch the brake for half a second before blasting trought turn 'Clark' (next turn after the chicane, leading up to the back straight). Me doing the same results in catastrophe. On the straight, in 4th gear they suddenly have more power and drive past me. Even though we are side-by-side from the last turn, shifting at the same time (5500rpm-103HP). We remain equal trough 2nd and 3th gear, but when hitting 4th they suddenly gain (a lot).

Miscellaneous question: Numerous documents, sites, forum post are to be found on (hot) tire pressures and tire/brake temps for the GT3 and Formula something, LMP and ect etc etc. but I can't seem to find a single one for the Ginetta Junior series. Again, if someone have some idea at what pressure/temp I should aim for, please do tell.

Ive driven that series quite a lot. Its challenging but do-able. I got a 1.03 something, maybe even a 1.02.?? Turn 1 is important to carry speed through down the hill, a nice tidy turn in for two, three is flat, the chicane is like threading a needle and once its wet through there you need to get creative with lines, the right hander after the back straight is tricky and is a late turn in with lots of kerb on exit, the final hairpin easy to oversteer. But I'm guessing you know all that ;)

I found a bit of speed fiddling with the power diff, but theres no magic solution. I'll see if I still have my set up and post it if you want, but I feel that one mans setup is another mans dirty laundry..

I found the first half of the lap is critical. I qualified halfway down the grid and fought my way to a top 3 finish at 110% difficulty so I'd say youre not doing a tremendous amount wrong.. think of the points ;)

If you fancy a multiplayer practice we could set that up with a password.. just PM me?

Good luck

Tank621
22-03-2018, 13:16
Yes I did the Knockhill Race earlier today and my perfomance was so appaling I am embarrassed to acknowledge it ever happened

banner77amc
22-03-2018, 18:12
Yes I did the Knockhill Race earlier today and my perfomance was so appaling I am embarrassed to acknowledge it ever happened

So it never happened? ;)

Tyoi
22-03-2018, 19:25
@Keena
Your writeup does ring a bell yes ;)

If 'humans' are able to break the 1:04 'barrier' on this circuit in the wet then I still have some practice to do. Thank you for your offer, I'll probably will take you up on that ;) I'll PM you for the when ect.

@Tank621
I'm just happy to see I'm not the only one ff-ing it up once in a while :D