PDA

View Full Version : PC build help

SRC Brian
22-03-2018, 09:38
I am fairly new to SIM racing having only tried it for the first time in 2017. I have went g920 fanatec CSL and last week V2.5 to find it's rubbish on Xbox in this game and also problematic in Assetto.
Having spent decent cash on hardware and with an ambition to go VR I need help in specification in respect of building a PC. I look at specs in tag lines and don't understand then. Could someone please give me spec for a decent machine that would run VR. This would be appreciated if it was in an idiot proof list ;)
Immersion is my goal and I except graphics won't match 4k screens. Thanks in advance.

MartinMWWebb
22-03-2018, 10:57
See my sig.. perfect for VR :)

the parts list can be found here:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/8dGG3C

The GPU/RAM will be your biggest killer with todays pricing. - alternative is to buy a pre-owned system a bit cheaper perhaps and upgrade the GPU in that.

SRC Brian
22-03-2018, 12:38
Thanks very much.

Juiced46
22-03-2018, 22:22
Save your $$$. Once patch 5 is out your FFB will be fixed.

EvenElectric
23-03-2018, 00:34
Save your $$$. Once patch 5 is out your FFB will be fixed.

Fingers crossed.

I think the OP wants to try VR though. I'm in the same boat. VR sim racing looks pretty damn cool. Also want to try iRacing (and non-weak looking Assetto, it's pretty terrible on Xbox One X). Here's the build I'm in the process of putting together (some stuff might change):

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-G GAMING
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Oculus Rift

You could easily go with a normal SSD and probably a lower-end CPU. You would need a different MB for a lower end CPU, perhaps a different size, depending on your case needs. From what I've researched, to get 90 FPS with decent detail in VR, you'll need a killer video card. The 1080ti prices are nuts right now. I ended up getting an OK deal on eBay. Pcpartpicker is great to ensure part compatibility. Putting together a PC is not trivial these days.

And if anyone has feedback about the above build, please comment.

Mon Pavion
24-03-2018, 20:41
Possibly this thread would get better response in the PC section?

SRC Brian
02-04-2018, 10:04
Thanks for the info.