PDA

View Full Version : Its hard being a vapist...so lets talk WWII

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 12:11
After years off failing to give up smoking i decided to try vaping. To my surprise since getting a vape pen ive really took to it and now havnt had a smoke for a month.

But god i didnt realise the limitless options available. Ive now progressed to a sigelei e1 using cleito external tank. As they give a better vaping experience. But so many tank options can any experienced vapists recommend a better tank or is the one im using on par

Sankyo
22-03-2018, 13:56
As they give a better vaping experience.
How do I need to imagine 'a better vaping experience'? What would be a 'bad vaping experience'? Just curious, since I don't smoke nor vape :)

hkraft300
22-03-2018, 14:01
I use a mig.
I’d like something a bit smaller. The juice goes pretty rank if you don’t wash it every now and then. I imagine that’s not a problem for external tanks?
You could accessorise or just get good fluid.

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 14:08
You get a more broad flavour from tanks as they produce more vape. Compared to a pen. I think. Im still a noob to the vapist scene.

As theres flavours off every type. They rely on the tanks ability to produce a good cloud to get more flavour

Invincible
22-03-2018, 14:11
After years off failing to give up smoking i decided to try vaping. To my surprise since getting a vape pen ive really took to it and now havnt had a smoke for a month.

But god i didnt realise the limitless options available. Ive now progressed to a sigelei e1 using cleito external tank. As they give a better vaping experience. But so many tank options can any experienced vapists recommend a better tank or is the one im using on par

With the Cleito, I think you mean the Aspire Cleito? It's a decent choice, but would be too small imo.

Honestly, I've made the switch 5 years ago now and I've tried several tanks and systems. And I really still have no clue what's good and what's not.
I'm currently using this tank: https://www.directvapor.com/tanks-rdas/eleaf-ijust2-tank.html, which holds 5,5ml.
I also had the successor (iJust S tank), but it leaked and I didn't like it. It has a top-fill system which is nice, but so far I have not found any tank with a top fill that does not leak.

Basically, I can't give you a proper advice apart from: You have to try them out.

Bealdor
22-03-2018, 14:13
...but I leaked and I didn't like it...

You should go see a doctor then... :p

hkraft300
22-03-2018, 14:16
I dunno. My pen goes alright.
Will fill the car in cloud so think I can’t see where I’m going :glee: vape with your windows down, kids!

And I really don’t have an issue with flavour, like I can’t imagine how they’d make it more tasty going from pen to something else.

The mig doesn’t leak either. Steel body, glass tank.

Sum Dixon-Ear
22-03-2018, 14:22
I use Smok Big Baby Beast 5ml tanks with V8 X4 coils... as top fillers they occassionaly leak, but that usually down to the seals not sitting perfectly.

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 14:27
With the Cleito, I think you mean the Aspire Cleito? It's a decent choice, but would be too small imo.

Honestly, I've made the switch 5 years ago now and I've tried several tanks and systems. And I really still have no clue what's good and what's not.
I'm currently using this tank: https://www.directvapor.com/tanks-rdas/eleaf-ijust2-tank.html, which holds 5,5ml.
I also had the successor (iJust S tank), but it leaked and I didn't like it. It has a top-fill system which is nice, but so far I have not found any tank with a top fill that does not leak.

Basically, I can't give you a proper advice apart from: You have to try them out.

Yes the aspire clieto. I have 2 and neither leak.

Its hard to decide what to use as in the vaping Doesn't have any stand out brand leaders. Which is refreshing these days but makes choice harder

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 14:31
I use Smok Big Baby Beast 5ml tanks with V8 X4 coils... as top fillers they occassionaly leak, but that usually down to the seals not sitting perfectly.

And this is my worry. My love off a gadgets will mean the money im saving from not smoking is going to be spent on multiple devices

Invincible
22-03-2018, 14:35
And this is my worry. My love off a gadgets will mean the money im saving from not smoking is going to be spent on multiple devices

Woah... I'm mixing the liquids myself and currently I'm spending roughly 150 € for liquids, coils and new batteries A YEAR! When I smoked, I needed 180 € per MONTH for smokes. And this was 5 years ago. Right now, I'd have to spend ~240 € on smokes.
Really, I'd have to buy a sh*tton of gadgets to even come close to what I've spend for smoking.

Konan
22-03-2018, 14:37
Talking about gadgets....here's mine:

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 14:54
Woah... I'm mixing the liquids myself and currently I'm spending roughly 150 € for liquids, coils and new batteries A YEAR! When I smoked, I needed 180 € per MONTH for smokes. And this was 5 years ago. Right now, I'd have to spend ~240 € on smokes.
Really, I'd have to buy a sh*tton of gadgets to even come close to what I've spend for smoking.

Ok i hugely exaggerated.

Im just a man

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 14:59

Ive just got an imagine off you sitting in a bar in Belgium with that in one hand, a great Belgium ale in the other and a huge well groomed moustache on your face

I want me a vape pipe its awesome

Konan
22-03-2018, 15:05
Ive just got an imagine off you sitting in a bar in Belgium with that in one hand, a great Belgium ale in the other and a huge well groomed moustache on your face

I want me a vape pipe its awesome

It's called KamryTech and costs (only) about 60 euros...
No smoking in Belgian pubs though...and my wife hates moustaches so....
The Ale part is spot on though...:cool:

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 15:16

British food and drink culture in the last 20 years has improved no end

On one off tv chef jamie Oliver s tv series he wanted to see if Britain could challenge other euopean countries signature foods

We beat the French in a cheese fight. Beat the Germans in a sausage fight and drew with Italy in the battle off the deserts. But when he pitted our finest bespoke ales against Belgium. It was a massacre we lost every round by miles

justonce68
22-03-2018, 15:23
I smoked for 30 odd years, vaped for over 5 years, and quit completely at Xmas, miss it everyday, but glad i stopped. Good to hear you've stopped smoking though buddy

Sum Dixon-Ear
22-03-2018, 15:27

An early snap of our Konan...

Robhd
22-03-2018, 15:30

Belgium beer, everything else is just well... Less really! Pity i live in the UK although i did enjoy a sublime bottle of Trppel on Saturday evening... I don't get that whole smokey, vapey thing... Or moustaches for that matter.. But Beer... Thats a whole different matter...hic!

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 15:34
I smoked for 30 odd years, vaped for over 5 years, and quit completely at Xmas, miss it everyday, but glad i stopped. Good to hear you've stopped smoking though buddy

Its weird changing a habit off a lifetime. Even after a month i still without thinking fancy a fag and for a split second reach for where they normally be.

ScaredDuck
22-03-2018, 15:38
Belgium beer, everything else is just well... Less really! Pity i live in the UK although i did enjoy a sublime bottle of Trppel on Saturday evening... I don't get that whole smokey, vapey thing... Or moustaches for that matter.. But Beer... Thats a whole different matter...hic!

How can you not get the moustache. great ale and awesome moustaches would be reasons alone to move there:cool:

davidt33
22-03-2018, 15:51

Just as bad as smoking. Probably worse.
BTW, I'm a smoker too. Bad vice either way. You easily become an addict who finds it very difficult to stop.

Konan
22-03-2018, 15:55
An early snap of our Konan...

I was actually more chubby than that....:cool:

Bealdor
22-03-2018, 16:00

Who are you? Techno Gandalf? lol

Konan
22-03-2018, 16:10
More like electronic Popeye...lol

Sum Dixon-Ear
22-03-2018, 16:10

Interesting, where did you get your evidence that vaping is as bad and probably worse than smoking from?

Fight-Test
22-03-2018, 16:30
BTW, I'm a smoker too. Bad vice either way. You easily become an addict who finds it very difficult to stop.

Might wanna research that one.

davidt33
22-03-2018, 20:38
psssst....You may want to give the following a gander. Thank me later.

E-Cigarettes: The Health Risks of Vaping
I you think your vaping habit is harmless, think again
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/better-cigarettes-vaping-comes-its-own-set-health-risks-ncna819716

Concerns explode over new health risks of vaping
Researchers link e-cigs to wounds that won’t heal and ‘smoker’s cough’ in teens
https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/concerns-explode-over-new-health-risks-vaping

The New Dangers of Vapinghttps://www.wddty.com/magazine/2017/february/the-new-dangers-of-vaping.html

Sum Dixon-Ear
22-03-2018, 20:54
psssst....You may want to give the following a gander. Thank me later.

E-Cigarettes: The Health Risks of Vaping
I you think your vaping habit is harmless, think again
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/better-cigarettes-vaping-comes-its-own-set-health-risks-ncna819716

Concerns explode over new health risks of vaping
Researchers link e-cigs to wounds that won’t heal and ‘smoker’s cough’ in teens
https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/concerns-explode-over-new-health-risks-vaping

The New Dangers of Vapinghttps://www.wddty.com/magazine/2017/february/the-new-dangers-of-vaping.html

I've read plenty of articles concerning the potential/actual dangers of vaping, of which many are caused by cheap e-cig/liquid variants.

Can you please post at least one reputable source to back up your claim that vaping is as bad as, if not worse than, smoking please. I'd be very interested to read it.

davidt33
22-03-2018, 21:19
I've read plenty of articles concerning the potential/actual dangers of vaping, of which many are caused by cheap e-cig/liquid variants.

Can you please post at least one reputable source to back up your claim that vaping is as bad as, if not worse than, smoking please. I'd be very interested to read it.
It's up to you to read and be as informed as you wish. I've taken the time to research and post 3 linked articles/reports for you. The rest is up to you. That being said, addiction is a helluva ting.

Sum Dixon-Ear
22-03-2018, 21:56

It's up to you to read and be as informed as you wish. I've taken the time to research and post 3 linked articles/reports for you. The rest is up to you. That being said, addiction is a helluva ting.

That would be a 'no' then.

davidt33
22-03-2018, 22:04
That would be a 'no' then.
Yes.

Invincible
23-03-2018, 07:00
Vaping might not be the golden choice for everyone who smoked before, but for me at least it works miles better than smoking.
- Way cheaper
- No more smoker's cough (no vaping cough either)
- No more barfing up slime in the morning
- Dyspnoea got much better under physical strain.

I know, all of the pro's I've listed would be even better if I quit completely, but so far I could not make the jump off the nicotine. And if I "need" (hah, only my brain/mind needs it) nicotine, vaping is the best solution for me.

Nonetheless, can someone suggest a good mod-box for 18650 cells, which offers at least 75W of output, and a sleek look? I don't like those which look like you have a full pack of smokes in your hand with a fat straw on top of it.
Currently I'm using a eLeaf iStick TC60W, which got discontinued and mine still works, but the shiny silver coat of the metal frame has rubbed off on some parts*. So I rather start looking for a replacement.

*I thought the frame was stainless steel - but it isn't. It's cast iron with a copper layer, then a brass layer and a brushed stainless steel looking layer as a finish.

ironik
23-03-2018, 07:29

Yeah, this is nothing but assumptions. By no means these links are actual studies.

The worse with these charging studies is that their protocols are completely biased.
I mean, in one of the last study I read, they were making mouses vape in 1 month the equivalent quantity of something like 3 years of normal vaping.
And yeah, they found some problems.

But what would happen if you forced these mouses to drink 3 years of normal water consumption in 1 month ?
This is non-sense.

Furthermore, the protocols used are far from the reality of vaping. They make the coil so hot doing insane chain vaping that the coil is actually melting and dispersing heavy metal particules in the vapor.
If you would try to do that yourself, it would be impossible as it's disgusting and it makes you cough hard. (Dry hit anyone? :p)

Invincible
23-03-2018, 10:59
Nonetheless, can someone suggest a good mod-box for 18650 cells, which offers at least 75W of output, and a sleek look? I don't like those which look like you have a full pack of smokes in your hand with a fat straw on top of it.
Currently I'm using a eLeaf iStick TC60W, which got discontinued and mine still works, but the shiny silver coat of the metal frame has rubbed off on some parts*. So I rather start looking for a replacement.

*I thought the frame was stainless steel - but it isn't. It's cast iron with a copper layer, then a brass layer and a brushed stainless steel looking layer as a finish.

Duuuh... no one? ;)

Konan
23-03-2018, 11:05
I got nothing...

Invincible
23-03-2018, 11:12
I got nothing...

Except your Pipe. Which, admittedly, even my wife said looks cool somehow.

Konan
23-03-2018, 11:17
Except your Pipe. Which, admittedly, even my wife said looks cool somehow.

I used to smoke a real pipe some years ago (just to look cool i admit lol) and used tobacco which had a caramel flavour...
Amazingly they have that flavour in liquid also...don't use anything else...:cool:

Sankyo
23-03-2018, 11:44
The worse with these charging studies is that their protocols are completely biased.
I mean, in one of the last study I read, they were making mouses vape in 1 month the equivalent quantity of something like 3 years of normal vaping.
And yeah, they found some problems.

But what would happen if you forced these mouses to drink 3 years of normal water consumption in 1 month ?
This is non-sense.

That's dismissing such experiments too quickly IMO, since it's a generally accepted method (provided it's conducted properly) of determining harmful effects of substances.

The comparison with drinking water does not float (bad pun intended), because then you're talking about possibly different physical/metabolical mechanisms, i.e the body being able to digest/process something fast enough vs prolonged exposure to a substance and possible storage of it in the body, with potential harmful long-term effects.
It's true though that when doing such an experiment, it should be determined what mechanism is really causing the observed problems/effects. This method is often only a start and not a definitive measurement so drawing conclusions should indeed be done with care, but dismissing it (especially with false comparisons) isn't wise either.

Not stating anything about smoking or vaping here, only about the dismissal of established research methods.

Invincible
23-03-2018, 12:01
That's dismissing such experiments too quickly IMO, since it's a generally accepted method (provided it's conducted properly) of determining harmful effects of substances.

The comparison with drinking water does not float (bad pun intended), because then you're talking about possibly different physical/metabolical mechanisms, i.e the body being able to digest/process something fast enough vs prolonged exposure to a substance and possible storage of it in the body, with potential harmful long-term effects.
It's true though that when doing such an experiment, it should be determined what mechanism is really causing the observed problems/effects. This method is often only a start and not a definitive measurement so drawing conclusions should indeed be done with care, but dismissing it (especially with false comparisons) isn't wise either.

Not stating anything about smoking or vaping here, only about the dismissal of established research methods.

While dismissing research too fast isn't good, some of the experiments hold little value for real life usage, because they're mostly exaggerated. If I operate an engine 200% above the specified operating window and it breaks, I can't make a useful statement about long time sustainability
Yet this is what they did in these studies. They overheated the coils to the point where they disintegrated and exposed a test subject to triple of the normal dose.
If I was given triple of the usual average joe amount of alcohol for example, I'd be wasted for sure and my liver would have issues too

Or another example:
If your body can dispose of 0.9mg of toxine XY per day, and the usual daily dose is 0.7mg. now you're given 2.1mg for a period of one month, which leads of a toxine build-up of 1.2mg per day and a total build-up of 36mg. This amount will most likely harm your body irreparably. But can you transfer these results to a long time exposure where the maximum threshold is never exceeded? Probably not.

Sum Dixon-Ear
23-03-2018, 12:20
I agree that proper clinical trials and evidence must be collated and fully analysed, not dismissed off-hand. Vaping is still a very new phenomenon and it will certainly take some years before a proper body of evidence is available.

However, I've seen more than a few reports that are nothing more than sensationalist, headline generating rubbish... I'm certain that the tobacco companies have a rather large vested interest in seeing vaping held back or dismissed as an unsafe alternative to traditional smoking. I've read widely circulated reports claiming that vaping carries as much of a cancer risk as tobacco does... however this was only in the case of a single badly made, unregulated and very cheap Chinese e-cig brand.

With new regulations being brought in, things can only improve with the vape products that are available... e.g. the new TPD Vaping Laws in the UK have resulted in far better regulation of hardware, e-liquids, tank sizes and nicotine levels etc.

Long term trials and clinical evidence will show a far clearer picture of the risks/benefits in the years to come... however, the health benefits that I personally feel after a year of replacing tobacco with vapour are astonishing. Smoking is now a pretty rare sight where I live, most people have either quit completely or moved to vaping instead. With the evidence currently at hand and only higher quality liquids, batteries and coils being available for purchase, that can only be a good thing as far I can see.

Now it's time for a vape... hmmm, wild strawberry mixed with sour cherry!

ironik
23-03-2018, 12:38

I get your point and I kinda agree with you.
I'm not dismissing researches without reading a lot on them. ;)

Many of these researches are made by supsicious doctors who are often paid by healthcare companies (which are selling tons of smoking substitutes) or even by the tobacco industry.

Still, I try to read everything I find about the vaping effects but I'm confronting them with the opinion of some doctors that are known to be objective. (Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos for example)

I think that only time will tell the truth.
What I know for sure, is that vaping is dramatically safer than smoking cigarettes.

Of course, vaping is still more dangerous than nothing. (besides breathing in a big town, especially in France, with all the diesel cars. :p)

Here is the counter analyze of the research I mentionned.
It's in French sadly.
https://fr.vapingpost.com/vape-et-cancer-pourquoi-la-derniere-etude-sur-les-souris-est-biaisee/

EDIT : With google translate :
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Ffr.vapingpost.com%2Fvape-et-cancer-pourquoi-la-derniere-etude-sur-les-souris-est-biaisee%2F&edit-text=&act=url

here is a quote, from it :

The choice of the animal model is the B.A.BA of a toxicological study. The selected mice spontaneously develop lung cancers. It's dishonest. "
Dr. Eric Blouin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EUcYF5sTm8

ironik
23-03-2018, 12:59
Duuuh... no one? ;)

I'm using this currently :

https://www.instavape.fr/4920-tm_large_default/box-istick-pico-25-eleaf.jpg

https://www.taklope.com/eleaf/4110-box-istick-pico-25.html

I'm very happy with it.
The black is showing the dirt but well... :p

EDIT: It shows no mark of wear but it's relatively new. Anyway, the finishing seems to be better than my previous eLeaf silver mod (iStick too).

Sum Dixon-Ear
23-03-2018, 13:04
...can someone suggest a good mod-box for 18650 cells, which offers at least 75W of output, and a sleek look?

I would have a look at the Vaporesso Tarot Mini (5-80w, single 18650)...

Invincible
23-03-2018, 13:10
I would have a look at the Vaporesso Tarot Mini (5-80w, single 18650)...

This on looks nice and isn't so big. And I was also looking at this one
The eLeaf Aster

Sum Dixon-Ear
23-03-2018, 13:35
The Vaporesso Revenger X is a sweet looking little mod as well (up to 220w, 510 thread, twin 18650s) -

Sankyo
23-03-2018, 19:26
I like vaping because the fumes don't get to my throat as normal cigarette smoke does when someone around me smokes. I still have to get used to the amount of 'smoke' coming out of a vaping person, I always think someone's on fire :)

Tank621
23-03-2018, 20:54
Hang on I think the real important discussion here is whether a person who vapes is a Vapist or a Vaper

Konan
23-03-2018, 20:59
Hang on I think the real important discussion here is whether a person who vapes is a Vapist or a Vaper

...a Vaporiser...

ironik
23-03-2018, 21:43
I like vaping because the fumes don't get to my throat as normal cigarette smoke does when someone around me smokes. I still have to get used to the amount of 'smoke' coming out of a vaping person, I always think someone's on fire :)

I can undestand that it's still disturbing even if the fumes usually smell good ^^

Sum Dixon-Ear
23-03-2018, 22:51

I'm a bloody fog machine... certainly not a vapist, that's just wrong.

ScaredDuck
23-03-2018, 23:35
Whoa only wanted suggestions for a tank.

What i know

UK government commissioned biggest study to date on vaping. After the report was published. UK government authorised the health department to add vaping as a method to help give up smoking.

ScaredDuck
23-03-2018, 23:39

After 5 pages someone eventually picks up on my word play.

But you think thats in bad taste.

If a few off us are up pub and decide to have a vape. We go outside for a gang vape

Where in sunny Essex you from Tank. Im from most poluted part. Thurrock

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 00:28
I got nothing...

Me either,

EV3RY
24-03-2018, 07:44
Nice tank, easy top filler and cheap.
https://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/tornado-ex-tank.html

Tank621
24-03-2018, 08:19

Chelmsford, though I am familiar with Thurrock, all those shopping trips at Lakeside and of course Arena Essex Raceway, though isn't that part of Grays now?

Whoa only wanted suggestions for a tank.

I can help with that too, though you might end up with an entirely different type of tank from what you were expecting :p

Sankyo
24-03-2018, 08:48
After 5 pages someone eventually picks up on my word play.

But you think thats in bad taste.

If a few off us are up pub and decide to have a vape. We go outside for a gang vape

If I inhale second-hand vape-or (get it? :p), did I get vaped?

Sum Dixon-Ear
24-03-2018, 10:16
If I inhale second-hand vape-or (get it? :p), did I get vaped?

Possibly... but at your age you definitely got lucky! ;)

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 20:58
Chelmsford, though I am familiar with Thurrock, all those shopping trips at Lakeside and of course Arena Essex Raceway, though isn't that part of Grays now?

I can help with that too, though you might end up with an entirely different type of tank from what you were expecting :p

Was daddy and daughter day today so my 8 year old dragged me round lakeside and spent a fortune in smiggle. Not all bad i bought a slush puppie machine from menkind

Arena essex i guess was always apart off grays which is my sunless town. Also familiar with county ground esp during 20 20. Atmosphere unrivaled anywhere else in country. Used to be very familiar Dukes when i were lad. Although never remember leaving.

Tank? WW2 tanks? I have huge interest in WW2

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 21:00
Omg found the flavour off the gods today. Lychee lemonade by zap. Got a real lychee flavour and fragrance with subtle hints off lemon.

Tank621
24-03-2018, 21:12
Arena essex i guess was always apart off grays which is my sunless town. Also familiar with county ground esp during 20 20. Atmosphere unrivaled anywhere else in country. Used to be very familiar Dukes when i were lad. Although never remember leaving.

Tank? WW2 tanks? I have huge interest in WW2

Yeah Dukes has been gone for a while now, shame really, I'm too young to have been there when it was open. There's still quite a few clubs around here but nothing special though from what I hear The Bassment is supposed to be quite good but I've barely been in there for half an hour.

As for Tanks I too am very interested in WW2 and military history, I'm going to be doing a 'Contemporary Military and International History' course at uni from this September

I do have a thread for talking about Tanks and other military stuff, not that I post too often in it but I like to stick in an interesting anecdote, discuss a particular vehicle and post pictures from various museums http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nk-s-Tank-talk

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 21:21
Most off the clubs i used to visit have long since closed up

My interest came from my grandad war stories and his ability to get shot or blown up in Africa, Italy, France and lastly germany. He was told twice his war was over and both times he reenlisted. And like a klingon he told a good story.

Never studied it other than school. But watched and read so much i could teach it to senior school level

Just remembered my grandad saying when our big guns fired the Germans put their heads down. When the German guns fired we put our ends down. But when the yanks fired everyone put their heads down

Tank621
24-03-2018, 21:32
Yes I did very much the same. So much so I managed to get work experience at Duxford back in 2014

As for my family my Great Grandad served in Burma, I don't think there was anyone else unless some of my Scottish family served in WW2, I know my family that lived in a little cottage in the Oxfordshire countryside had Spitfire-Messerschmidt dogfight over their home

But in WW1 I had a relative who served as a mechanic for what was then the Royal Flying Corps
Amd there was my Scottish Great Great (Great?) Uncle who was killed at Galipolli

Konan
24-03-2018, 21:41
I read some of those tanks could vape pretty good as well....:rolleyes:

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 21:52
Yes I did very much the same. So much so I managed to get work experience at Duxford back in 2014

As for my family my Great Grandad served in Burma, I don't think there was anyone else unless some of my Scottish family served in WW2, I know my family that lived in a little cottage in the Oxfordshire countryside had Spitfire-Messerschmidt dogfight over their home

But in WW1 I had a relative who served as a mechanic for what was then the Royal Flying Corps
Amd there was my Scottish Great Great (Great?) Uncle who was killed at Galipolli

Love Duxford. My fav film when i was a kid was battle of Britain. Spring chicken to shite hawk in one easy lesson. Is a line ive never forgot

My grandad was in Burma but he got transfered to Africa before he saw any action

Konan
24-03-2018, 21:58
Love Duxford. My fav film when i was a kid was battle of Britain. Spring chicken to shite hawk in one easy lesson. Is a line ive never forgot

My grandad was in Burma but he got transfered to Africa before he saw any action

Battle of Britain,The longest day,Bridge on the river Kwai,The great escape....
Seen 'em all...Love 'em all...

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 22:18
Battle of Britain,The longest day,Bridge on the river Kwai,The great escape....
Seen 'em all...Love 'em all...

Think everyone has seen the old ones. When war films were great. Athough i hear good things about Dunkirk. And cant wait until darkest hour is released on bluray

Tank621
24-03-2018, 22:53
Dunkirk is a fantastic film and a very powerful one at that

Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates and Fury are all good modern films on WW2 in fact I have seen 'Fury' and Tiger 131 which also appeared in the film at Bovington Tank Museum

But the classics are still the true icons: Battle of Britain, The Dambusters, Squadron 633 (those have got to have two of the best soundtracks on all of film), Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape, Bridge on the river Kwai, The Dirty Dozen, Memphis Belle, The Guns of Navarone and the Eagle Has Landed

I think that's all the ones I've watched

And none of them are on Netflix smh
Edit: oh wait Memphis Belle is but that's the only one :(

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 23:19
Dunkirk is a fantastic film and a very powerful one at that

Saving Private Ryan, Enemy at the Gates and Fury are all good modern films on WW2 in fact I have seen 'Fury' and Tiger 131 which also appeared in the film at Bovington Tank Museum

But the classics are still the true icons: Battle of Britain, The Dambusters, Squadron 633 (those have got to have two of the best soundtracks on all of film), Where Eagles Dare, The Great Escape, Bridge on the river Kwai, The Dirty Dozen, Memphis Belle, The Guns of Navarone and the Eagle Has Landed

I think that's all the ones I've watched

And none of them are on Netflix smh
Edit: oh wait Memphis Belle is but that's the only one :(

I will concede older ww2 films were better cause mainly scale and the fact there were tons off surplus ww2 vehicles they could use. I believe in the making off battle of Britain they used over 600 era specific aircraft. Whereas year later Pearl harbour used no more than 30 that were shipped in from all round the world. Also its director is a idiot and intentionally ignores historical accuracy when it suits him

Did you know Donald Plesence (sp) who starred in Great Escape was actually a POW in that very camp during WW2.

Tank621
24-03-2018, 23:24
I will concede older ww2 were better cause mainly scale and the fact there were tons off surplus ww2 vehicles they could use. I believe in the making off battle of Britain they used over 600 era specific aircraft. Whereas Pearl harbour used no more than 30

Then again most of the time the German's in old films would all be driving American Jeeps and trucks usually with a Humber Armoured Car in the mix, I think attention to historical detail is better even if it is often on a smaller scale

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 23:29
Then again most of the time the German's in old films would all be driving American Jeeps and trucks usually with a Humber Armoured Car in the mix, I think attention to historical detail is better even if it is often on a smaller scale

You mean like the American tanks used as King Tigers in Battle of the Bulge

Tank621
24-03-2018, 23:36
You mean like the American tanks used as King Tigers in Battle of the Bulge

Yep apparently President Eisenhower came out of retirement to hold a press conference to denounce the historocal inaccuracies of that film

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 23:46
Yep apparently President Eisenhower came out of retirement to hold a press conference to denounce the historocal inaccuracies of that film

Like the end armour engagement in the film took place in the northern sector. The Northern sector commanded by Montgomery and the banks off the meuse river were defended by a joint Anglo/American force. But in the film it was all America on its own. I understand and dont mind movies even historical ones have to bend history to tell a story but hate the blatent disregard off facts is insulting .

Way off topic but its my thread and i like where its lead. Vaping to ww2 films. Awuf it

Konan
25-03-2018, 00:07
It's not off topic anymore now...:p

ScaredDuck
25-03-2018, 00:11
Konan i love your use off the English language.

I'm such a fanboy. :cool::rolleyes::o

Konan
25-03-2018, 00:14
Gonna catch the three hours of sleep i've got left before F1....gonna be a long day later with work from 1 till 8...:(

ScaredDuck
25-03-2018, 00:17
Im up for the duration.

Konan
25-03-2018, 00:18
Im up for the duration.

I suspected that much...

BigDad
25-03-2018, 02:58
I had no idea what vaping was and thought it was the act of sniffing paint from spray cans, lol
I was beginning to imagine you fellas with silver lips and few brain cells.
I'm a bit happier after reading a few posts :)

As for watching F1, it on at 3:10pm (1510), why you need to sleep in the arvo? lol
Go Dan! From 8th though, eek.....

ScaredDuck
26-03-2018, 00:40
Konan you killed it. The topic went from off topic to no topic when you changed the title to on topic

Konan
26-03-2018, 03:34
Konan you killed it. The topic went from off topic to no topic when you changed the title to on topic

Smokescreen effective...mission accomplished :p