PDA

View Full Version : AI in endurence races (fuel/tire problem)

imthecrabby
23-03-2018, 00:25
I'm not sure how many people have discovered this problem, but after speaking to Hobbs, he personally has not discovered it and in my little research have not found anyone that has posted about it.

So here goes!

Endurance is a massive part of why I love Motorsport and because of Pcars 2 am able to recreate a lot of races that I love.

One problem I have discovered is that at the start of a race the AI will not take a full compliment of fuel and after say 30 mins of less, many of the cars will have come into the pits to take more fuel, again not taking the full load. This again spirals in the tire changing, the messed up way the stints is taken means that the AI seems unsure on weather tires is needed and sometimes delivers some fully results, such as being able to lap many seconds quicker because of this.

I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this and how much more joy I would get out of the game if there was a fix.

TL;DR in endurence AI won't take a full compliment of fuel, this also happens in pit stops and I get some really weird stints going on down the field.

Thanks for reading!

Crabby

Tar Heel
23-03-2018, 03:40
I'm not sure how many people have discovered this problem, but after speaking to Hobbs, he personally has not discovered it and in my little research have not found anyone that has posted about it.

So here goes!

Endurance is a massive part of why I love Motorsport and because of Pcars 2 am able to recreate a lot of races that I love.

One problem I have discovered is that at the start of a race the AI will not take a full compliment of fuel and after say 30 mins of less, many of the cars will have come into the pits to take more fuel, again not taking the full load. This again spirals in the tire changing, the messed up way the stints is taken means that the AI seems unsure on weather tires is needed and sometimes delivers some fully results, such as being able to lap many seconds quicker because of this.

I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this and how much more joy I would get out of the game if there was a fix.

TL;DR in endurence AI won't take a full compliment of fuel, this also happens in pit stops and I get some really weird stints going on down the field.

Thanks for reading!

Crabby

I've noticed AI pitting around the 30min mark as well. It has improved in patch 4 (they used to pit twice as often as me), but I think some more refinement is necessary to improve endurance races with the AI.

shiftee
23-03-2018, 15:59
good catch, and I appreciate you posting this. I love endurance races too, but have not gotten to them yet in career. I remember the AI being flaky and over-pitting in Pcars1 which took some of the drama and fun out of the endurance races.

This seems like an easy enough fix (well at least the part about starting with a fuller tank), and hopefully we can get a fix for it - and they keep working on the AI pit strategies in general. was disappointed to see they removed most mandatory pits from career race series in Pcars2 for some reason..

Sentry87
23-03-2018, 16:01
I've done a handful of endurance races in custom offline and have not noticed this. Is this a career only problem?

WvAllwheelDrive
23-03-2018, 18:09
I noticed this with some cars and not with others. In races with GT3 cars, they pit at the same time I do (1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes depending on the car), but races in races with prototypes, LMP1, 2, 3 and 900, all of those cars will stop between 20 and 30 minutes.

This happens in both career and quick race offline.

imthecrabby
23-03-2018, 19:23
I noticed this with some cars and not with others. In races with GT3 cars, they pit at the same time I do (1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes depending on the car), but races in races with prototypes, LMP1, 2, 3 and 900, all of those cars will stop between 20 and 30 minutes.

You have the same problem I have noticed, apart from I haven't looked too heavily into what cars are worse than others, so nice work!

WvAllwheelDrive
23-03-2018, 22:14
You have the same problem I have noticed, apart from I haven't looked too heavily into what cars are worse than others, so nice work!

Also all of them pit for the littlest bit of damage.

Doug914
23-03-2018, 23:53
We randomly set initial fuel loads by race length and number of stops needed. Becuase the AI share pits, we cant have them all trying to all come in the same time at the risk of occupied pits. The jist of it is if some AI short stop the first stint, they will longer stint the later stops and others will do the opposite.

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 00:52
Just wondering then. Does every car in the same class regardless off setup and manufacturer have the same fuel consumption

imthecrabby
24-03-2018, 02:17
We randomly set initial fuel loads by race length and number of stops needed. Becuase the AI share pits, we cant have them all trying to all come in the same time at the risk of occupied pits. The jist of it is if some AI short stop the first stint, they will longer stint the later stops and others will do the opposite.

I see that makes a lot of sense! It was never explained and as long as there is a suitible reason and by the end of the race, their stints make sense, then I'm all fine!, thanks for replying

Doug914
25-03-2018, 11:01
Just wondering then. Does every car in the same class regardless off setup and manufacturer have the same fuel consumption

No. Fuel consumption is based on the real car's figures.

Alex1996
25-03-2018, 12:41

About prototypes, there’s also the fact that they have a smaller tank (54 liters against 100 or more of Gt cars)

ScaredDuck
25-03-2018, 21:18
No. Fuel consumption is based on the real car's figures.

I assumed they would be. My bad. Just wanted to check as you said you random set fuel loads to stop ai cars from pitting at same time. Which i assume your refering to teams

Which leads me to. I understand for endurance races its logical.

What about other series which require ai to pit as for most part its only for tyres. I s it leading team car would pit first as default. Its not off great importance. But would be handy to know

Doug914
26-03-2018, 11:17
Well, many real life series cars we simulate are set to get very close ot the same fuel window. IE GT3 GT4 LMP2 ect. This is not always about pure fuel mileage, as it is often combined with fuel tank size adjustment to equalize the pit stop windows in the series.

For the AI pitting priority, I don't believe there is one, That is random too as to who gets the smaller or larger fuel load at the start, and which needs to pit first.

Cholton82
26-03-2018, 14:43
Hi Doug , I have been having a blast against the AI you guys are doing a great job , Would it be possible for the faster classes that pass to pass on a slightly wider line on the straights .
I'm racing in GTE and sometimes the Lmp's are very close to my door when passing on a straight even though I am on the edge of the track giving as much room as possible.