PDA

View Full Version : Best camera view?

Gamehedpro
23-03-2018, 13:24
What does everyone think is the best camera view to use? I personally like to see the whole car. Just wondering what everyone else likes.

Gamehedpro
23-03-2018, 13:27
I personally like to see the whole car. Just wondering what everyone else uses and if there's something else better.

hkraft300
23-03-2018, 13:56
Cockpit, personally.

I find in chase cam I react too slowly and rely on visually seeing the car sideways, which is often too late.

Helmet cam is very popular (must with vr) with the look-to-apex function.

Dash and bonnet cams are really good too. I moved from chase to bumper cam in gran turismo 5. Dash/ bonnet cam in project cars is much better.

AbeWoz
23-03-2018, 14:14
Cockpit, without a doubt.

jimortality
23-03-2018, 14:23
Yeah cockpit, if you want to be taken seriously as a sim racer

phromero01
23-03-2018, 14:33
Hi there, the most realistic camera is the co pit view with the right FOV it transfers the best sense of speed and give you consistency in laps times.....

satco1066
23-03-2018, 14:38
not a third party thing ;)

Tank621
23-03-2018, 14:48
I used to use chase cam all the time but in the last few years I switched over exclusively to cockpit cam.

I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I have a better understanding of what the car is doing in cockpit view than chase cam, whenever I go back to chase I feel really disconnected from the car

I only use it in full on arcade games like Wreckfest

RoccoTTS
23-03-2018, 14:49
Cockpit is the only one that should be used in a sim. All other views are for arcade games, not for sims.

Bealdor
23-03-2018, 14:54
Cockpit is the only one that should be used in a sim. All other views are for arcade games, not for sims.

Every player should be able to use the view that suits him best IMO.
If someone can avoid crashing me because external view gives him a better spacial awareness I don't have an issue with this. Quite the opposite really.

cpcdem
23-03-2018, 14:57
Most of the time I use the bonnet cam, it's near the cockpit one and gives plenty of visibility ahead, while still having the feeling of actually driving the car. I use cockpit cam with some cars and I wish I could use it for more, but with most of them, the combination of a realistic FOV setting and a 23'' monitor causes extremely low visibility in cockpit cam and with it I can only imagine where the apexes and the nearby cars are...

I'm on a wheel though and using chase cam with a wheel does not feel intuitive at all to me. I think it does feel intuitive with a pad though, if I was a pad user I suspect I would be using chase cam.

Chikane
23-03-2018, 15:04
I go back and forward between Helmet cam and chase cam :smile-new: it depends on my mood

RoccoTTS
23-03-2018, 15:48
If someone can avoid crashing me because external view gives him a better spacial awareness I don't have an issue with this. Quite the opposite really.

Well, that's my honest opinion. I have no problem with your and other opinions.

John Hargreaves
23-03-2018, 15:56
I use cockpit cam on the PC with a wheel and pedals, and chase cam on the PS4 playing with the controller.

Atak Kat
23-03-2018, 16:25
I never understood chase came. Not dissing, just never sat well with me.
I used to drive bonnet or bumper cam for the longest time. I liked the additional visibility, and it always seemed strange to me to block all this awesome graphics with an outline of a cockpit that was mostly black.
In the last few months, I switched cockpit view and now I can't go back.
I will say that the roof cam definitely gives an advantage with the view just that little bit higher, and you can see the corners and road ahead much better.

justonce68
23-03-2018, 16:27
Helmet cam with look to apex for me, without the helmet

Konan
23-03-2018, 16:33
not a third party thing ;)

Merged and put in appropriate section...

davidt33
23-03-2018, 16:54
Survey says...."Cockpit" is the most popular answer.

I used to race in the view where you just see the track for ages (whatever it's called) but since most said they preferred cockpit view I tried it about a month ago, preferred it myself and stuck with it. Feels strange to go back to any other view now.

rich1e I
23-03-2018, 17:02
What's the best camera view? The one you feel most comfortable with.

John Hargreaves
23-03-2018, 18:35
I never understood chase cam. Not dissing, just never sat well with me.
I used to drive bonnet or bumper cam for the longest time. I liked the additional visibility, and it always seemed strange to me to block all this awesome graphics with an outline of a cockpit that was mostly black.
In the last few months, I switched cockpit view and now I can't go back.
I will say that the roof cam definitely gives an advantage with the view just that little bit higher, and you can see the corners and road ahead much better.

It's an interesting one this, and one I've often thought about as I use both. When I drive with a wheel on my PC, I am very close to the monitor and there is a sense of connection with the car and you can almost feel it moving around you. Even though there are no real G-forces, the visual clues are so good that you have a pretty good instinctive sense of the three dimensional balance of the vehicle, even more so in VR.
When I play with a controller on my PS4 pro however, the fact that my hands are in the wrong position and I am further away from the screen disconnects me from the chassis of the car much more, so the chase cam helps to replace the sense of the orientation of the car relative to the road surface. I think it is the very fact that I've driven with a wheel bolted to my desk in car sims since the 90s that I find using a controller so awkward.

The absolute weirdest combination is chase cam whilst using a wheel, that is bizarre to me.

Ixoye56
23-03-2018, 22:09
Helmet cam with look to apex for me, without the helmet

Same for me, because it is most similar to how I drive a car in reality

Gamehedpro
24-03-2018, 01:52
I Guess it's time for me to try the cockpit cam. Let's see how it goes.

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 02:01
I tend to use bonnet as i find cockpit view alittle letterboxish. However cockpit view makes it easir to get your lines right and hit apexs more consistently. Think its due to camera positioning

Azure Flare
24-03-2018, 03:15
Cockpit view, because you don't drive real cars from the roof, the bumper, or several feet behind it.

belaki
24-03-2018, 06:50
Cockpit view, because you don't drive real cars from the roof, the bumper, or several feet behind it.

Actually I saw a guy on I-95 today headed to south Florida driving in bonnet view. He had ropes running down through the sun roof to his steering wheel and looked like Charleton Heston driving his chariot in Ben Hur.

I felt really comfortable driving next to him because I knew his spatial awareness was enhanced...

<kidding>

davidt33
24-03-2018, 11:48
What's the best camera view? The one you feel most comfortable with.
I've been thinking about what you said and have to admit at the end of the day you have a point.

Aphelion71
24-03-2018, 14:22
Cockpit or helmet most of the time, but when there is traffic in MP like in T1, sometimes I switch to roof cam.

HockeyNick30
24-03-2018, 15:00
Cockpit view.

RomKnight
24-03-2018, 15:08
There's only one place where you sit to drive car... PERIOD :P

Konan
24-03-2018, 15:13
There's only one place where you sit to drive car... PERIOD :P

yeah well...i'm playing from my sofa so it's not like i feel as if i'm in a car to begin with anyway...LOL

JasonSandwich
24-03-2018, 15:37
I use helmet cam with a 60 look-to-apex value. I don't like to see the helmet nor blur/focus because I'd prefer to use the in-car instruments when possible. I think that with VR I would prefer the helmet in view but there's surely a look up/down limitation with a fixed display.

I do agree that there's no wrong way as long as it helps people not crash. Chase/drone is more comfortable on gamepad where on/in car is more natural with a wheel for me.

I can't help to think of the roof cam as sitting on board a Google streetview car.

torsteinvh
24-03-2018, 17:17
Helmet cam with Track IR on a 60" screen. Very, very nice :)

Olijke Poffer
24-03-2018, 19:21
Cockpit in VR here..

Cladandadum
24-03-2018, 19:28
Cockpit view. It means i can control the air conditioning or heating, depending on the weather. Just press x.

simsimsheree
24-03-2018, 21:05
Cockpit fans saying it is the only 'serious sim' view make me chuckle.

I wonder if any of these people would DARE drive a real car with their vision as restricted as cockpit makes it? I don't know about you, but I have never sat in a car where I couldn't simply move my eyes (not even my head) and see the side mirrors, let alone the main mirror. Sure, you can push FOV back far enough you might get in drivers side mirror and central, but now you are driving from the rear seat!

Try it... Just not on any road I'm driving on, please! :angel:

VR cockpit view, yes, perfect (but unavailable for consoles). Static screen cockpit view? Way too restricted to be realistic in the slightest.

I like bonnet view, hate how that changes the audio feed (bonnet view with cockpit audio would be best, IMHO), but I can always move my wheel setup slightly to one side to get away from the 'single seater' feel. I just pretend it is the car's windshield, and don't worry about cockpit instrumentation.

It's still a LONG way from perfect (no side mirrors, unrealistic FOV for the in game rear mirror) but I start to get away from that 'blinkered race horse' feeling I get in cockpit.

hkraft300
25-03-2018, 00:04
yeah well...i'm playing from my sofa so it's not like i feel as if i'm in a car to begin with anyway...LOL

Back seat cam ;)

I like bonnet view, hate how that changes the audio feed (bonnet view with cockpit audio would be best, IMHO), but I can always move my wheel setup slightly to one side to get away from the 'single seater' feel. I just pretend it is the car's windshield, and don't worry about cockpit instrumentation.

You could try dash cam.

I personally use the motec screens too so cockpit for me.

g.stew
25-03-2018, 00:32
I use helmet cam with a 60 look-to-apex value. I don't like to see the helmet nor blur/focus because I'd prefer to use the in-car instruments when possible.

I used to use the look-to-apex without the blur/focus until I realized it was actually pretty useful in showing me where I should be looking ahead to. When the look-to-apex happens, the part that's in focus is where you should be looking. It's helpful to train you on where you should be focusing. Now I've trained myself to do it most of the time but I still get lazy sometimes and realize I'm not focusing ahead enough. I also like it to tell when the camera has been switched to regular cockpit which happens sometimes.

You can still read the instruments that you'd need to at the speed it activates.

Back seat cam ;)

This sounds like a nightmare I've had before ;)

ScaredDuck
25-03-2018, 01:07
Back seat cam ;)

Hope your not implying hes a back seat driver. That would be awuf thing to imply

Konan
25-03-2018, 01:09
Hope your not implying hes a back seat driver. That would be awuf thing to imply

The back seat has only one interesting use to me...:cool:

ScaredDuck
25-03-2018, 01:15

If i tried that use nowadays. Id put a hip out

hkraft300
25-03-2018, 05:59

Not in the tiny back seat of a hatchback.
In which case youre better off leaning the front passenger seat flat.

Azure Flare
25-03-2018, 06:10
Cockpit fans saying it is the only 'serious sim' view make me chuckle.

I wonder if any of these people would DARE drive a real car with their vision as restricted as cockpit makes it? I don't know about you, but I have never sat in a car where I couldn't simply move my eyes (not even my head) and see the side mirrors, let alone the main mirror. Sure, you can push FOV back far enough you might get in drivers side mirror and central, but now you are driving from the rear seat!

Try it... Just not on any road I'm driving on, please! :angel:

VR cockpit view, yes, perfect (but unavailable for consoles). Static screen cockpit view? Way too restricted to be realistic in the slightest.

It's still a LONG way from perfect (no side mirrors, unrealistic FOV for the in game rear mirror) but I start to get away from that 'blinkered race horse' feeling I get in cockpit.

That's what look left, look right, and a virtual mirror is for.

RoccoTTS
25-03-2018, 07:36
That's what look left, look right, and a virtual mirror is for.

Exactly, i use my look left and look right button + virtual mirror + crew chief app

maxx69
25-03-2018, 09:55
I use bonnet cam as I have better view of what's going on around me . IRL my heads not fixed to one position .
When I race other games using VR then I'm 100% cock pit cam .I find my view is to restricted when using a screen ....guess that makes me an arcade gamer rather than a real sim racer (lol)
Cock pit snobs everywhere:rolleyes:
As stated above , pick whatever suits you and you feel comfortable using .

John Hargreaves
25-03-2018, 10:09
All the views outside VR are a compromise imo. Cockpit cam, where you can see the whole front of the dash plus another steering wheel in addition to the one you are using is a weird one to me. I usually move the camera forward a bit, so that the dash is just visible behind my wheel, without driver arms visible. That's my favourite.

hkraft300
25-03-2018, 11:16
I have driver arms/wheel off, and have it positioned so I can see the motec just over my wheel.

I can place my car well. For everything else, there is the track map, proximity arrows, look left/right as mentioned above...

RoccoTTS
25-03-2018, 11:32
I have driver arms/wheel off, and have it positioned so I can see the motec just over my wheel.

That's exactly how i have it.

Mbondracing
25-03-2018, 11:43
That's exactly how i have it.

Me too! Helmet cam with helmet off and look to apex all the way up.

dan2312
25-03-2018, 22:37
I prefer cockpit in all cars, but sometimes like to use the hood view in some of the LMP cars.

TheRealWitblitz
26-03-2018, 00:24
Me too! Helmet cam with helmet off and look to apex all the way up.

This.

Nuckerball
26-03-2018, 19:51
Well the chase cam is broke and has received overwhelming criticism yet the devs have done NOTHING to address it. Every new console player is greeted with a laggy, sickeningly low fov experience. It was extremely off putting to me any many many others. How do they not adress it?! It simply defies logic. Ugh the human race doing what it does best

Konan
26-03-2018, 20:01
Ugh the human race doing what it does best

...complaining?

Nuckerball
26-03-2018, 21:22
You got me lmao. I'm just ticked off the devs won't look into revising the Chase Cam.

g.stew
26-03-2018, 21:40
Well the chase cam is broke and has received overwhelming criticism yet the devs have done NOTHING to address it. Every new console player is greeted with a laggy, sickeningly low fov experience. It was extremely off putting to me any many many others. How do they not adress it?! It simply defies logic. Ugh the human race doing what it does best

...complaining?

You got me lmao. I'm just ticked off the devs won't look into revising the Chase Cam.

Well, when you ask so nicely, how can they resist ;)

But really, what is the issue? Is it broken or you just don't agree with their design choice? I've never driven with the Chase Cam, so I'm not familiar issues with it, but I'm interested to know where it's failing for you.

Also, I'm wondering, do the seat adjust and camera adjust controls work for the Chase Cam? I use the seat controls in helmet/cockpit view to adjust my seat, and you can also adjust the camera all over the cockpit. Is the same thing possible on chase cam, and could that maybe help with problems you are having? If you are on Xbox or PS4(I think) you can use these controls by connecting a usb keyboard. I'm on xbox and I just have a controller next to my wheel with the xbox chatpad. I have mapped keys for adjusting the seat position. For camera, I've connected a full usb keyboard and I think you use ctrl+k and then the num pad or WASD keys to adjust the camera. Anyway, just a thought in case it could help at all.

John Hargreaves
26-03-2018, 22:21

From the other cam thread:

I think PC1 has the horizon line a little bit higher rather than across the centre of the screen, which can be done with the number pad (I think it's 2 & 8), so start a race, ctrl-K, a dab on W,D,2 then pause and restart and you are good for that session. Fov is 10deg different I think in chase cam from PC1 to 2, again easy to change in options or with the square brackets keys.

That should get you pretty close to what you are looking for. I agree it would be nice to be able to save camera views, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take long.

Nuckerball
26-03-2018, 22:43
Yeah sorry for the rant lol. Is the camera view actually bugged? Not really. However, the vast majority of players seem to be discontent with the cams view. Default, the fov is very low and awkward to use on tracks because of a numbed sense of speed. For the players like me who try and adjust to a more comfortable fov like 80 or 90, the rear of the car will sink into the screen, which means anyone who wants to adjust will have a seemingly bugged view of their car. In the first project cars, a higher fov would also distance the car from the camera. In this game the fov just swallows it up. I am on ps4, so there is no way of adjusting the Chase cam placement like in cockpit. Besides, hooking up a keyboard just for this becomes a bit finicky. Not every console player has a spare keyboard lol. (Thanks for the advice anyway) Users are stuck with either a motion sickening default fov, or a view with the rear of the car obstructing the bottom of the screen. There isn't any balance to it. There are many threads on this that explain it better than I do.

Looneytoon1975
11-06-2018, 17:38
You can assume cockpit is most realistic. But actually, you sitting behind your desk with a steering wheel IS the cockpit, so your monitor should be the equivalent of the windshield. So the only thing you should see at that point, is the hood of the car, which actually is my preffered view. Does that make sense?

Olijke Poffer
11-06-2018, 17:50
You can assume cockpit is most realistic. But actually, you sitting behind your desk with a steering wheel IS the cockpit, so your monitor should be the equivalent of the windshield. So the only thing you should see at that point, is the hood of the car, which actually is my preffered view. Does that make sense?
I’m in the car while driving... that’s why I love VR..

cpcdem
11-06-2018, 17:53

It does to me. From time to time I am doing exactly that when I am driving my real car, trying to realize what it is exactly that I am seeing and it is indeed the same as I see in game from the hood view. I normally cannot see the dash or the interior of the car, I need to purposely lower my eyes to do that. So I am finding hood view more realistic, at least for my 24'' monitor with a realistic FOV.

Although I assume that in some other cars like LMPs, it will be a different story. But for open wheelers, I do prefer the cockip cam, in this case I think it makes more sense and feels more natural.

Swass
12-06-2018, 13:35

This made me laugh out loud. Let's not forget that we're playing video games, people.

Konan
12-06-2018, 15:12
This made me laugh out loud. Let's not forget that we're playing video games, people.

While i think that statement has some truth in it,i too switched from chase to cocpit cam and haven't moved back since...
Everyone is free to choose whatever they want though...without having to rectify that decision...

hkraft300
12-06-2018, 15:48

I use cockpit.
Depending on rig setup (screen distance etc), fov and what not, maybe more accurate view to have dash cam.
But that sort of falls under “cockpit” and it’s probably the most natural and accurate way for best lap times.*

Thinking back to when I used chased cam, I feel I relied on car movements visually to make corrections but I was slow/late to react. Switched to bumper/dash/cockpit cam and i instantly improved.

* edit: interior views such as helmet/ cockpit/ dash cams I meant to say are the natural views to take for sim racing. The goal being to accurately portray on screen what you would see sitting in the real car. This brings with it the benefits of correct FoV etc for car placement.

Schnizz58
12-06-2018, 16:30
To each his own. I'm going for maximum immersion so I use helmet cam without look to apex* but I might give dash cam a try at some point.

*What I don't like about look to apex is that it feels to me like the car is rotating when I'm not doing anything to cause it. It's unsettling. Maybe I just need to get used to it but if I get a VR rig going, I won't need it anyway.

Francisnf
12-06-2018, 20:12
Cockpit 100% in vr, when I used a flat screen used the bonnet as my cockpit was actually real, ie. My steering wheel and gear shifter etc, having a fake cockpit seemed odd.

Stone Cold Stig
13-06-2018, 02:14
It's an interesting one this, and one I've often thought about as I use both. When I drive with a wheel on my PC, I am very close to the monitor and there is a sense of connection with the car and you can almost feel it moving around you. Even though there are no real G-forces, the visual clues are so good that you have a pretty good instinctive sense of the three dimensional balance of the vehicle, even more so in VR.
When I play with a controller on my PS4 pro however, the fact that my hands are in the wrong position and I am further away from the screen disconnects me from the chassis of the car much more, so the chase cam helps to replace the sense of the orientation of the car relative to the road surface. I think it is the very fact that I've driven with a wheel bolted to my desk in car sims since the 90s that I find using a controller so awkward.

The absolute weirdest combination is chase cam whilst using a wheel, that is bizarre to me.

HAVEN'T YOU EVER HEARD OF "POLE POSITION" OR "RC PRO AM"?

WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU FOR GODS SAKE! I KNOW YOU'VE BEEN IN A ARCADE BEFORE.;)

OperatorWay
13-06-2018, 02:30

LOL! Should read: "...if you want to be taken seriously by a few people who take sim racing players seriously." :cool:

When playing with a wheel, my favorite camera in PCARS1 & PCARS2 is the external roof cam.

When playing with a gamepad, my favorite camera in PCARS1 & PCARS2 is the external chase/follow cam.

WellRED Barron
13-06-2018, 08:04
Cockpit with proper FOV, then slight seat and height adjustments if needed. Want to feel like I am IN the car. Hard to get the balance otherwise. Since weight transfer is so vital in this game, it really helps me sense where the weight is and how much I can push the car. I minimize things like camera and head shake, or any of the other effects to add motion and an artificial sense of speed.

Without VR, you just want whatever view most helps you suspend your disbelief and allows you to feel the car. Good luck.

John Hargreaves
13-06-2018, 09:13
LOL! Should read: "...if you want to be taken seriously by a few people who take sim racing players seriously." :cool:

I'd go one further and say if you want to be taken seriously, avoid sitting in front of your computer pretending to play racing cars with a toy steering wheel. My wife thinks I'm some sort of juvenile idiot, and she would probably be right, but at least I'm happy :)

davidt33
13-06-2018, 10:49
I'd go one further and say if you want to be taken seriously, avoid sitting in front of your computer pretending to play racing cars with a toy steering wheel. My wife thinks I'm some sort of juvenile idiot, and she would probably be right, but at least I'm happy :)
I'm 63 and although they don't tell me outright I'm sure my family and friends think I'm a bit wacko at my age to be playing racing games (on a console) steering wheel et al but I tell them racing is serious business.

John Hargreaves
13-06-2018, 11:09
I think from the outside, middle aged men playing driving and flying sims does look a bit odd, especially the amount of money we secretly fritter away in the process, but once anyone steps inside the Nexus it all becomes clear. Once they step over the line, if they have the weakness for speed and machines, they are in for good. It's how I started, and probably most of us. Once you taste it you are hooked.

Konan
13-06-2018, 11:26
I think from the outside, middle aged men playing driving and flying sims does look a bit odd, especially the amount of money we secretly fritter away in the process, but once anyone steps inside the Nexus it all becomes clear. Once they step over the line, if they have the weakness for speed and machines, they are in for good. It's how I started, and probably most of us. Once you taste it you are hooked.

...watch who you call middle aged dude...
Going on 50 but feeling 25...lol

TheSimGirl
13-06-2018, 12:08

Um, good advice, but poor delivery. Females race as well. This response suggests only males do.

Zaskarspants
13-06-2018, 12:32
Um, good advice, but poor delivery. Females race as well. This response suggests only males do.

Well not really. Much of our language in many countries is somewhat paternalistic in it's common use, as is society, with him or man specifically including all people unless the context determines otherwise.

I am sure no one here who types him instead of them or him/er is meaning to specifically exclude anyone with their choice of language but rather just reflecting the mores of the society they inhabit.

TheSimGirl
13-06-2018, 12:36
Well not really. Much of our language in many countries is somewhat paternalistic in it's common use, as is society, with him or man specifically including all people unless the context determines otherwise.

I am sure no one here who types him instead of them or him/er is meaning to specifically exclude anyone with their choice of language but rather just reflecting the mores of the society they inhabit.

With that said, thank you ma'am. Her statement seemed to imply only men, but I wasn't serious with my reply. I'm not offended, nor could I imagine she is. Thanks again for the culture education ma'am.

drathuu
13-06-2018, 13:02
Cockpit view IMO. most immersive.. (using external for spatial awareness) i dont agree with as they should use virtual mirrors.

Franco Ferrari
13-06-2018, 13:06

You're freely assuming every sim racer is serious or wants to act accordingly.
Not me.
I'm just doing it for the lolz. :cool:

middle aged men playing driving and flying sims does look a bit odd

Not if they beat you on the finish line. :rolleyes:

RobertOldgit
14-06-2018, 22:00
In Cockpit/Helmet cam with look to apex maxed out, but with no helmet on if that makes sense. It's in the options.

Gregz0r
15-06-2018, 13:07
Cockpit, within VR obviously.

TekNeil
15-06-2018, 23:05
Back on the ol Mega drive and other consoles/Amiga etc I could only ever use third person/car view, now I use a Vive I can only use interior view. Could never stand it before!

cassito
16-06-2018, 01:35
Using google translator, because English is not my first language

Being a novice here and I know I have no reputation. But I mean that although most prefer the internal camera in the PCars, this does not mean that the external camera should not receive attention. At the moment (and since launch), it is working in an inverted way and I will try to explain:

In the game, when you are going slowly, the chase camera is far away, and when you are fast, the camera is close. This causes a sense of speed problem.
The right way would be the opposite: slow speed, camera close, fast speed, camera away. Exactly like how works internal cameras, Project Cars 1 and other racing games.
This problem only happens on the chase camera. On the internal cameras they are ok.

The problem clearly only happens in the external camera, I imagine that some variable was inverted during the programming of the camera.

Stone Cold Stig
16-06-2018, 06:30
Using google translator, because English is not my first language

Being a novice here and I know I have no reputation. But I mean that although most prefer the internal camera in the PCars, this does not mean that the external camera should not receive attention. At the moment (and since launch), it is working in an inverted way and I will try to explain:

In the game, when you are going slowly, the chase camera is far away, and when you are fast, the camera is close. This causes a sense of speed problem.
The right way would be the opposite: slow speed, camera close, fast speed, camera away. Exactly like how works internal cameras, Project Cars 1 and other racing games.
This problem only happens on the chase camera. On the internal cameras they are ok.

The problem clearly only happens in the external camera, I imagine that some variable was inverted during the programming of the camera.

I have pointed that out since launch.
Stunned and amazed that they haven't addressed this yet.

Konan
16-06-2018, 07:43
have you guys tried this?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?58312-Weird-chase-cam-FOV&p=1459571&viewfull=1#post1459571

The best way of setting is through cockpit view of a LMP car:
- go to custom race
- change view to cockpit
- put the seat backwards until you can see the side windows without turning the camera (might have to temporarily assign a button to move the seat)
- flick to chase cam
this should do the trick and stay like that on consoles...

edit:
Found the original post:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?62674-Still-Cant-Save-Chase-Cam-Adjustments-When-Will-This-Be-Adressed&p=1500294&viewfull=1#post1500294

lurkusmaximus
16-06-2018, 18:01
Cockpit, personally.

I find in chase cam I react too slowly and rely on visually seeing the car sideways, which is often too late.

Helmet cam is very popular (must with vr) with the look-to-apex function.

Dash and bonnet cams are really good too. I moved from chase to bumper cam in gran turismo 5. Dash/ bonnet cam in project cars is much better.

I agree as I used bonnet cam almost exclusively in Pcars1, but with the addition of the field of view camera options, I now use cockpit. Love that feature.

simsimsheree
16-06-2018, 19:14
Cockpit view, but more needs to be done for those without a triple screen. I think virtual mirrors, but with correct FoV are needed. The virtual mirror in HUD is far too wide a FoV and can easily fool you into thinking a car is far behind when quite close. An option to have that in normal perspective would be great. And virtual side mirrors would be a handy option.

There's also an issue when trying to move the seat back far enough to get a wider FoV (while track FoV remains accurate for judging apexes, etc.) to include the mirrors. Eventually, the seat obscures your view. An option to turn off the virtual seat (seeing as how you will never get to see it!) would help move further back to get those mirrors back.

I know we have the proximity alert, but it's a poor substitute for a proper mirror.

davidt33
16-06-2018, 19:19
....I think virtual mirrors, but with correct FoV are needed. The virtual mirror in HUD is far too wide a FoV and can easily fool you into thinking a car is far behind when quite close. An option to have that in normal perspective would be great.
Couldn't agree with this more.

TorTorden
17-06-2018, 18:56
I don't use 'virtual' mirrors but that is part the glory of the rift.

I do wish my car wasn't invisible in them though since then I would really get a better grip where something is in relation to my own behind.

R-VR Closet
17-06-2018, 19:30
It's all about the immersion for me, so Cockpit is the only way to go. :cool:

m355y
17-06-2018, 20:53
I've always tended to use the chase view.

Recently I've started using the cockpit views, the helmet cam and the wide angle 'TV onboard' view mostly. And it's a revelation. I've found that I'm not only just as quick using those views, but the sense of speed is better and it transforms the whole experience, you feel contained and aware of what's around you, you have to check your blind spots and keep an eye around the car instead of just taking for granted that you can see everything going on. It just feels far more convincing.

simsimsheree
17-06-2018, 21:20
It's all about the immersion for me, so Cockpit is the only way to go. :cool:

I find cockpit about half of being immersive, LOL

The other half, I can't see without a triple screen or an Oculus, neither of which are an option on consoles!

I guess if I drove with one eye shut all the time, so close to the windshield that I can't even see ONE side mirror, I'd possibly think cockpit is any more real than the other options. But nobody does...

BTW, I drive in cockpit most of the time. But that doesn't make it any more real.

bubbleguuum
17-06-2018, 22:15
For me it's Helmet cam in cockpit view, combined with proper vertical FOV computed from screen size and distance to screen. I also advance seat position forward quite a bit to see more of the track and less of the cockpit. I have the on-screen wheel removed because I have one in front of me and it's just clutter. Also quite a bit of 'look to apex' for better cornering.

When I see some cockpit videos, I'm always amazed that people often use default (incorrect) FOV and seat position with the cockpit covering a large part of the screen.

Pekka Salminen
18-06-2018, 06:18
I find cockpit about half of being immersive, LOL

The other half, I can't see without a triple screen or an Oculus, neither of which are an option on consoles!

I guess if I drove with one eye shut all the time, so close to the windshield that I can't even see ONE side mirror, I'd possibly think cockpit is any more real than the other options. But nobody does...

BTW, I drive in cockpit most of the time. But that doesn't make it any more real.

It is more real than other views though, and it is a fact:
Yes, with screens you lose some of peripheral vision. But so does other cams. Chase may allow you to see sides easier, but the peripheral vision is still wrong. As a result, tie in this point.
FOV: Pcars2 let's you adjust that, so all depends on user settings. Tie.
POV: This is which separates cockpit and helmet cam from other views. Other cams (roof, bonnet, chase) has "unrealistic" POV, but cockpit has the right one.

If we look purely at realism, cockpit compromises only peripheral vision, while other cams "compromises" POV too. As a result, cockpit is the most realistic, or more like the least unrealistic view with screens.