PDA

View Full Version : SMS. I had a dream......

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 01:01
Seriously i did.

And that dream was........ Wait for it.......

Project Cars: Shift Edition

Shift 1 & 2 only games i ever got platinum trophy from PlayStation.

I miss corner mastering.

Cheesy video clips

Drift comps in career.

Hot laps in career

Custom liveries. If i wasnt giving all my cars ateam van colour schemes, iwas spending hours sketching and skewing the pirate flag so it look like flames coming out off the wheels.

Most off all i miss all the fun touches in career. Like the figure 8 endurance race.

Not saying id want it to be pc3

But separate game like black ops.

An entry level sim for the casual gamer.

Btw mods this is a dream list and not just another wishlist:D:cool:

David Slute
24-03-2018, 01:50
In my dream.......pc3 was never a thought until they polished and built on pc2 :)
I also dreamt that rally cross was properly implemented in mp like it is in career mode.

Azure Flare
24-03-2018, 03:30
I also dreamt that rally cross was properly implemented in mp like it is in career mode.

It can be done, you just need to organize it.

Lord of the Racing
24-03-2018, 07:55
I have a dream too: the possibility to save during the race and restart from there so to be really able to run an endurance race. Also the saving at fixed point like after each 15/30 min could be very nice.

Robhd
24-03-2018, 08:39
I never had no dream, mine was just the nightmare that the flippin FFB never gets fixed... Arrghhhh!

Tank621
24-03-2018, 09:27
I was really hoping for an entire speech in parody of MLK and now I'm sligtly dissapointed

RacingAtHome
24-03-2018, 12:36
I have a dream that one day this game will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "An incredible variety of cars and track as no car or track is created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the hills of Mount Panorama, the sons of ChampCar and the sons of Formula E will be able to race together at the circuit of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the Mazda, a brand sweltering with the heat of requests, sweltering with the heat of pressure, will be transformed into an oasis of speed and variety.

I have a dream that all future racing games will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their cars but by the quality of their features.

Happy now Tank?

Tank621
24-03-2018, 13:16
Brought a tear to my eye

rich1e I
24-03-2018, 14:19
...and now almost 60 years later a Mazda was a serious contender for the win and set the lap record in a 12h race. The world can be a better place if we don't stop dreaming!

simsimsheree
24-03-2018, 22:03
I had a dream that PC3 was simply PC2 where everything actually worked!

But I do agree that PC could make a LOT more arcade racer players want to migrate by offering modes that reflect their current game. PC2 is such a grim, humorless offering, without so much as a rotating splash screen (trying to work out if you have accidentally got dropped back to the start screen or are simply waiting for a lobby to go back to the race selection screen because it's all the same splash screen is laziness at best...).

What's so hard about an automatic 'Spectate' of an all AI race popping up if you left the game alone for a while (like most do)?

What's so hard with an engine starting sound when you hit the 'Start Engine' button as the game loads?

From the demolition derby of most online races, it seems to be quite a necessity for a track mastering Achievement (before the little darlings can race it online!)...

I know, I know... stop expecting FUN from a sim, right? LOL

Konan
24-03-2018, 22:53
I had a dream that PC3 was simply PC2 where everything actually worked!

But I do agree that PC could make a LOT more arcade racer players want to migrate by offering modes that reflect their current game. PC2 is such a grim, humorless offering, without so much as a rotating splash screen (trying to work out if you have accidentally got dropped back to the start screen or are simply waiting for a lobby to go back to the race selection screen because it's all the same splash screen is laziness at best...).

What's so hard about an automatic 'Spectate' of an all AI race popping up if you left the game alone for a while (like most do)?

What's so hard with an engine starting sound when you hit the 'Start Engine' button as the game loads?

From the demolition derby of most online races, it seems to be quite a necessity for a track mastering Achievement (before the little darlings can race it online!)...

I know, I know... stop expecting FUN from a sim, right? LOL

Reading your post history,i can't help but wonder if there's actually something you DO like about the game....

ScaredDuck
24-03-2018, 22:57
Reading your post history,i can't help but wonder if there's actually something you DO like about the game....

I like it when im not the only one thinking something

Reason off my op is i love pc1 & 2 and also loved shift 1 & 2

RacingAtHome
25-03-2018, 03:07
I like it when im not the only one thinking something

Reason off my op is i love pc1 & 2 and also loved shift 1 & 2

He wasn't replying to you. ;)

David Slute
25-03-2018, 04:52
It can be done, you just need to organize it.

I agree it can be organized, but I'm lazy and don't have the time as is to set up heats and track the points lol
especially when I know it's already implemented in career mode.

I've tried iracing's rally X which has the heats and point tracking implemented, but I found the dirt physic's unnatural and the tire model a bit lackluster compared to PC2 yet there lobbies are pretty full........ours have
looked like this since the game launched.

https://gyazo.com/5c0367e377a8e823ef2d23143580bfc9

Without at least a practice session you're forced to sit in the lobby praying for someone to join...and if you are lucky enough to get one person in you have to hope someone else joins right away cause your only option is to go straight to race.

Unless your familiar with all the tracks/cars and have pre-made tunes for each........not mant people are gonna jump into a race-blind especially if it's ranked.

Sum Dixon-Ear
25-03-2018, 11:57
...PC2 is such a grim, humorless offering...

Last night I decided to race the invitational at Bannochbrae in the Aston DBR1/300 and it was rather more of an experience than I was prepared for.

My dear old Uncle Angus lives in Argyll and has exclusively owned Aston Martins since the early 80s... he would have marvelled at the very convincing Scottish scenery, real world Scottish locations and authentic architecture while hammering round in this wonderful old car. Sitting in a race seat with the Fanatec wheel conveying the forces would have had him grinning like the Cheshire Cat. He's well into his 80s now but I just know that as the heavy mists rolled in and the track became slippery he would have felt as though he was reliving his life of 40 years ago, with countless days very, very similar to the digital wonderment in front of him spent hurtling round the scenic Scottish roads in his beloved Astons.

The whole experience took me back to thinking of my childhood days spent over in Ardrishaig, where he lives, the happy days spent over there in the summer with my now deceased parents and my wider family. It was actually a rather profound moment in time and one that I found quite emotional... I am again as I type this.

Not many 'games' can affect one in this way... and in a racing sim I think it's probably utterly unique. The combination of stunning visuals, driving on very convincing Scottish roads, the awesome lighting and ever changing weather created an experience that I was utterly immersed in and actually provoked an emotional, nostalgic response... it was so real I could reach out and touch it. This game has created a memory and experience that will stay with me forever and I'm truly thankful and awestruck that SMS have created something that can be this powerful... I honestly didn't think such a thing was possible.

I'm sorry that you perceive this amazing game as grim and humourless, I certainly do not.

Keena
25-03-2018, 15:43
I had a dream where i was sat in the pits with the engine off, and when i went into the setup/timing menu the engine didnt start automatically even with autostart off.. then my dream turned a bit wierd so ill stop there..

riverreveal
25-03-2018, 21:59
I had a dream that I could retort like Sum Dixon-Ear. A perfectly put combination of nostalgia, love and what Project Cars can inspire with its combination of systems and parts.

Id have just said: 'Meh, meh, meh, no you're grim...Meh, GG. /thread'.

ScaredDuck
25-03-2018, 23:47
Ok maybe i shouldnt say this cause itll probably only add fuel to the haters and fall on deaf ears to the extremists on the other side.

Right although SMS have done a great job off getting Pcars as far as they have. I'm pretty sure they know this GAME is still just a GAME and not a sim. Any store that sells it. Will pretty much display it in their game section with all the other games.

For all those that have the chair, steering wheel maybe vr, or multiple screens. And it all to move and vibrate in sync to the movement off your car in the game. Then you have a real driving sim. But i bet your not even 5% off the games ownership. SMS will know this and even though they try to be true to pcars being a sim. They have to make compromises. And make it accessible to the 95% that just want a fun enjoyable experience when they have a couple off hours free. If they don't pcars wont last. Being a niche game when theres already so much established competition and always the threat off more. The best way to ensure pcars has a future is about selling copies. Not just for revenue but in terms off more people who own it and enjoy it, the more likely they will recommend it and the less likely they are to own a copy off the competition. At the moment pcars is losing to the lesser Forza and GTS. With Pcars content, race series, career alone pcars has a solid package. But due to its complex gameplay (Every review ive read states its hard to pick up and play compared to the competition) and bugs at launch have highlighted why Gran turismo is the daddy. Even though it hasnt been ground breaking since the first gt. The ai is pointless. It still uses fictitious tracks. But its has, very few glaring bugs and ease off play and visually looks great. Fanboys its good you love pcars2 because unless vocal supporters off SMS dont accept pcars2 is still just a racing game and then there may not be a third.

pcars2 has the content. If SMS were encouraged to put the idea off the perfect sim on the back burner and concentrate on gameplay and continue development of the ai. It may not be the ultimate sim but itll be head and shoulders above its rivals. Then once its established itself. Then it can develop itself into the perfect sim.

If SMS want to be a niche game based only on its sims strength that their choice. But this game and SMS imo have the potential to be so much more if they wanted. Its got to be easier to make it more user friendly and fun than it is to code real world car physics.

You know shift was never a great sim but it was a great game. Shifts only obvious weakness was it was content light compared to Gran Turismo and Forza. Pcars is already best sim but not best game. And it is its strengths as a game that it will ultimately be judged on by the vast majority off people looking to spend their cash on a new racing game whether you like it or not.

Reply whatever. This is my opinion which wont change. So i see no point anyone wasting anymore time discussing the issue. But time will tell

My only agenda is i want to see SMS become the gold standard off racing sims and games. Pcars(Great content ) + Shift (great game) = Gold Standard

Sum Dixon-Ear
26-03-2018, 00:17
Ok maybe i shouldnt...

...this GAME is still just a GAME and not a sim. Any store that sells it. Will pretty much display it in their game section with all the other games...

...Gran turismo is the daddy...

...Fanboys its good you love pcars2...

...Its got to be easier to make it more user friendly and fun than it is to code real world car physics...

...it is a game whether you like it or not.

ScaredDuck
26-03-2018, 00:28
:cool:Love Jack O'Neill

That clip is also from best SG1 episode. IN THE MIDDLE OFF MY BACK SWING

foxymop
26-03-2018, 09:27
SacredDuck, using period in the middle of sentences? Are you 12?
Didn't read anything.

You're all being trolled by a 12 years old kid.

Tank621
26-03-2018, 10:16
Now I am an ardent defender of Project Cars but I must admit ScaredDuck has a point: if PCars was simplified somewhat and dialled back the siminess they would almost certainly make more money from it. But I don't want that, that is not why I play PCars, I want to have that sim experience and, on Xbox at least, it is unparalleled, especially considering how lackluster a game AC has been on console

And we know SMS has other projects, the probable Fast and Furious game, and mobile game as well, those are the games meant to bring in the big bucks by appealing to the masses, so for that reason I would say Project Cars has no reason change, but it can get better

I say PCars should keep going in the direction it is already going, for that direction and ambition to push the boundaries further than anyone else is why I find the game so appealing

Also I can safely assure you he's not 12 considering he has a thread literally about vaping and has said he used to go the Dukes in Chelmsford which has been shut for multiple years so unless he has been discreetly building a very convincing online persona for several months of someone much older it is fairly safe to assume he is not 12

Konan
26-03-2018, 10:54
those are the games meant to bring in the big ducks

FTFY

Invincible
26-03-2018, 11:33
Now I am an ardent defender of Project Cars but I must admit ScaredDuck has a point: if PCars was simplified somewhat and dialled back the siminess they would almost certainly make more money from it .But I don't want that, that is not why I play PCars, I want to have that sim experience and, on Xbox at least, it is unparalleled, especially considering how lackluster a game AC has been on console

In my opinion, you don't have to dial back the "simness" of Project CARS to make it more appealing to the mainstream crowd. Some additional features like corner mastering, Hotlap events in career or some 1on1 "overtake the opponent within 1 Lap" events could draw some more people.
This along with a more refined driving-aid and control system would open up the game to the mainstream without compromising either the physics or livetrack or hurting MP as you can still set your lobbies to "real driving aids" or none at all for the real "hardcore" guys out there (even if it's not exactly realistic :p)

Honestly, just because Project CARS is aimed to be more realistic than some other racing games, this doesn't mean we can't learn from them. The track-mastering tool or the educational videos to be allowed into MP from GT Sport for example.
Or even worse (I might get banned for this): Some visual customisation for road cars, like rims and an ingame livery editor.

Note, this doesn't mean we have to blatantly copy them or water down any of the serious side of our beloved sim. Just make it more attractive to a wider audience and secrectly lure them into the light of proper sim-racing.

gp2112
26-03-2018, 20:06
Ok maybe i shouldnt say this cause itll probably only add fuel to the haters and fall on deaf ears to the extremists on the other side.

Right although SMS have done a great job off getting Pcars as far as they have. I'm pretty sure they know this GAME is still just a GAME and not a sim. Any store that sells it. Will pretty much display it in their game section with all the other games.

For all those that have the chair, steering wheel maybe vr, or multiple screens. And it all to move and vibrate in sync to the movement off your car in the game. Then you have a real driving sim. But i bet your not even 5% off the games ownership. SMS will know this and even though they try to be true to pcars being a sim. They have to make compromises. And make it accessible to the 95% that just want a fun enjoyable experience when they have a couple off hours free. If they don't pcars wont last. Being a niche game when theres already so much established competition and always the threat off more. The best way to ensure pcars has a future is about selling copies. Not just for revenue but in terms off more people who own it and enjoy it, the more likely they will recommend it and the less likely they are to own a copy off the competition. At the moment pcars is losing to the lesser Forza and GTS. With Pcars content, race series, career alone pcars has a solid package. But due to its complex gameplay (Every review ive read states its hard to pick up and play compared to the competition) and bugs at launch have highlighted why Gran turismo is the daddy. Even though it hasnt been ground breaking since the first gt. The ai is pointless. It still uses fictitious tracks. But its has, very few glaring bugs and ease off play and visually looks great. Fanboys its good you love pcars2 because unless vocal supporters off SMS dont accept pcars2 is still just a racing game and then there may not be a third.

pcars2 has the content. If SMS were encouraged to put the idea off the perfect sim on the back burner and concentrate on gameplay and continue development of the ai. It may not be the ultimate sim but itll be head and shoulders above its rivals. Then once its established itself. Then it can develop itself into the perfect sim.

If SMS want to be a niche game based only on its sims strength that their choice. But this game and SMS imo have the potential to be so much more if they wanted. Its got to be easier to make it more user friendly and fun than it is to code real world car physics.

You know shift was never a great sim but it was a great game. Shifts only obvious weakness was it was content light compared to Gran Turismo and Forza. Pcars is already best sim but not best game. And it is its strengths as a game that it will ultimately be judged on by the vast majority off people looking to spend their cash on a new racing game whether you like it or not.

Reply whatever. This is my opinion which wont change. So i see no point anyone wasting anymore time discussing the issue. But time will tell

My only agenda is i want to see SMS become the gold standard off racing sims and games. Pcars(Great content ) + Shift (great game) = Gold Standard

I think you are missing the point of games like PC, Assetto Corsa, R3E, rFactor, etc...

They are not intended to be for the average kid who comes along and wants to drift a car around a map while evading police and powering up through layers of blase, re-done story lines. They really do not intend to cater to the drift crowd, but they toss that in because there are those out there who like figure skating on asphalt.

What they do try to cater to is the person who wants to simulate racing in the manner that gives them the most simulation value. This means steering wheels, pedals, even sim rigs. They cater to the guy who will spend thousands on a DD wheel, hydraulic pedals, a triple screen set up just so they can plug in their VR, and a real racing seat set in an 80/20 frame with a motion simulator.

They market the game as "for everybody" so they can sell more, just as they port them to the consoles. There is a reason why those games are released on PC first, have top notch gfx (well...at least some of them do) and have FFB menus that are hard to decipher. There is a reason why setting up the cars is more difficult than just setting: Beginner, intermediate, expert.

In short: They are selling the game to you, the casual gamer who should probably stick to Shift if that is what they want, and hoping to retain the serious sim racer. You (or another iteration just like you) will be there for the next release to make the money for the company. They must ensure they hold onto the serious sim racer to continue having a reason to publish the game, because they don't care about you, just your money. It is the serious sim racer who will ensure the game stays if the money keeps coming in.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear but...

Konan
26-03-2018, 20:15
I was pretty much with you until you wrote:

they don't care about you, just your money

Keena
26-03-2018, 20:33
^ couldnt agree more. Ive had direct one to one interaction with the devs on this forum, addressing one of my concerns specifically. I felt valued and in return my own sense of loyalty to this studio and its staff has gone up.

Its becone clear to me just how much SMS does care about this product. Im the first to throw stones in glass houses but it is unwarranted in this case.

Im a cracking example of how customer loyalty for the long term can be won back, and well done to Doug and others who have worked so hard and with such enthusiasm, despite our sometimes inappropriate tone.

SlowBloke
26-03-2018, 21:12
Seriously i did.

And that dream was........ Wait for it.......

Project Cars: Shift Edition

Shift 1 & 2 only games i ever got platinum trophy from PlayStation.

I miss corner mastering.

Cheesy video clips

Drift comps in career.

Hot laps in career

Custom liveries. If i wasnt giving all my cars ateam van colour schemes, iwas spending hours sketching and skewing the pirate flag so it look like flames coming out off the wheels.

Most off all i miss all the fun touches in career. Like the figure 8 endurance race.

Not saying id want it to be pc3

But separate game like black ops.

An entry level sim for the casual gamer.

Btw mods this is a dream list and not just another wishlist:D:cool:

The sheer thought of SMS dedicating 2/3 years of their time doing this over improving sim racing makes me sad....

Simerection
27-03-2018, 00:00
Over in Iracing we have discussed the advantages the devs would have if they would make the Sim easier and less expensive to attract more people. More people means more subs which would means more cars..tracks...karting...etc. due to more money flowing in. As it stands Iracing only has at most 60k people regularly subbing worldwide tops. They have said publicly that they have in meetings discussed compromising certain aspects of physics to make the game more "fun". They decided against it so as to remain true to form in their own vision to offer as close to real life competitive racing as they can. Actually that would be David Kaemmer's vision. So..in doing so they keep what is already a very very niche market (sim racing that is) an even more niche market.

I like PC2 because the physics are close enough at this point to please me, more cars and tracks, weather, AI and tons of achievements. Loads of fun and a lot less stressful than Iracing. You can't play Iracing without your ass being on the line 24/7. Sure you can hot lap for practice but Iracing hasn't even figured out day-night cycles, weather effects or even AI yet. I'd rather hot lap alone in pc2 where you actually feel like you are in a living breathing environment instead of Iracing's dead wasteland environment with the same plane landing in the same spot every single stupid lap.

Sorry bout the long rant but what i think I'm trying to say is that PC2 is great at what it does. Forza Horizon is good at what they are trying to achieve. Rocket league is awesome. Spintires is cool with what they are doing. Wreckfest as well.

Sometimes to get what we want we need to just spend that moment in another title instead of hoping our title will change to fulfill that particular dream. I know it might make the fanboy types feel like traitors in some way but by spreading yourself out there to experience different tastes might make you better appreciate the uniqueness that SMS has created in the genre with PC2. Just a thought.

Nuckerball
27-03-2018, 00:28
I have a dream that pc2 will receive a hotfix that reverts the Chase came back to how it was in pc1 ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡). I want to admire the car and scenery without half my car getting eaten by the screen.

ScaredDuck
27-03-2018, 00:48
On being a loyal customer i own both shift titles and pcars titles all dlc and raced them to death. If i had known at the time pcars was in development and crowdfunded funded i would have made a sizeable investment not based on financial returns. But solely because i wanted to see and play a race game from SMS. As it was crowdfunded funded i expected it SMS wouldnt get it perfect and would take a long time to get it to where they wanted. As i an actually a huge fanboy i didnt mind. It isnt until recently i even bothered to post on this forum. Never felt the need to.

My concerns are my opinion and im the first person to admit when im wrong and my concerns maybe completely unfounded. But atleast by expressing them. SMS get to here whata genuine long time loyal fan honestly thinks. My worry isnt so much sms and the game. But they fall into the trap off listening to what the unsilent minority.Want.

SMS would know the the target consumer off race games are. With their feedback way back to shift. So to say Pcars isnt targeted to kids and casual gamers. They wouldnt have release it on console. Neither did they put on the packaging a warning that pcars isnt a puck up and playrace game.

If it was the hardcore sim some off you believe it to be. It would only be available onhighend PC's.

Invincible got my point and explained it better than me great ways to open the game up to novices and securing their future custom. Making sections off the g'me easier doesnt mean the game is any less the sim you desire. It makes it more.

ScaredDuck
27-03-2018, 01:17
I wasnt intending to reply onis thread as i was expecting the normal patronising blinkered response. However most posters for and against have been constructive and its a nice change. Thanks guys.

No not 12 more thirty twelve.

Im sorry my grammar is bad alot off the time due to firstly using my ps4 controller to type message and secondly i suffer from severe insomnia and i think most people have experienced how hard it is to communicate your thoughts correctly when your tired. Try it when youve been awkes for days. Its currently 2. 00 am.tuesday. Ive been awake since Friday afternoon. I am generally sorry my posts are hard to understand at times. I try not to post when ive been awake for so long. But it i thougt about pcars as an example it will play my mind and make it even harder to sleep until ive got it out off my head.

Sum Dixon-Ear
27-03-2018, 01:32
If it was the hardcore sim some off you believe it to be. It would only be available onhighend PC's.

So... by that statement, do you believe that Assetto Corsa is just another 'pick up n play' arcade racer because it was released on console as well?

I'm almost lost for words mate.

ScaredDuck
27-03-2018, 02:28
So... by that statement, do you believe that Assetto Corsa is just another 'pick up n play' arcade racer because it was released on console as well?

I'm almost lost for words mate.

I cant reply to you as everyway ive tried to word it comes across as though im directly being insulting. Like ive said its just my opinion i maybe wrong.

I will add this though. You remind me off my ex. You only seem to focus on the nagatives. Rather than the whole

Lord of the Racing
27-03-2018, 07:31
I think you are missing the point of games like PC, Assetto Corsa, R3E, rFactor, etc...

They are not intended to be for the average kid who comes along and wants to drift a car around a map while evading police and powering up through layers of blase, re-done story lines. They really do not intend to cater to the drift crowd, but they toss that in because there are those out there who like figure skating on asphalt.

What they do try to cater to is the person who wants to simulate racing in the manner that gives them the most simulation value. This means steering wheels, pedals, even sim rigs. They cater to the guy who will spend thousands on a DD wheel, hydraulic pedals, a triple screen set up just so they can plug in their VR, and a real racing seat set in an 80/20 frame with a motion simulator.

They market the game as "for everybody" so they can sell more, just as they port them to the consoles. There is a reason why those games are released on PC first, have top notch gfx (well...at least some of them do) and have FFB menus that are hard to decipher. There is a reason why setting up the cars is more difficult than just setting: Beginner, intermediate, expert.

In short: They are selling the game to you, the casual gamer who should probably stick to Shift if that is what they want, and hoping to retain the serious sim racer. You (or another iteration just like you) will be there for the next release to make the money for the company. They must ensure they hold onto the serious sim racer to continue having a reason to publish the game, because they don't care about you, just your money. It is the serious sim racer who will ensure the game stays if the money keeps coming in.

Sorry if that is not what you want to hear but...
Yes please, give us more simulation. PC2 and AC on console are the only driving simulations and they have market for this. Meanwhile of arcade or simularcade there are already a mess. You do not really need another one.

riverreveal
27-03-2018, 07:59
I will add this though. You remind me off my ex. You only seem to focus on the nagatives. Rather than the whole

You do realise you are in a forum about Project Cars 2? Someone is allowed to comment on perceived negatives within your comments. Ex?!?! What a strange level to go to....

MaXyM
27-03-2018, 09:19
You do realise you are in a forum about Project Cars 2? Someone is allowed to comment on perceived negatives within your comments. Ex?!?! What a strange level to go to....

Is someone allowed to post comments on perceived negatives within PC2?
Give him a break. He has right to have and express own opinion. You don't have one to insult him for this.

I had a dream, about fully working PC2. I dreamed about I started the game and all features Ian Bell is so proud of, features which makes this title unique, are magically working. But... it was a dream.
Really looking forward for Patch5. Do anyone know what date SMS is targeting?

gp2112
27-03-2018, 12:53
I was pretty much with you until you wrote:

I don't hold it against them. That is business. Sure, there are many who do care about the gamer. I will go so far as to say that Ian Bell cares about the gamer because he is a gamer. Yet the whole exercise, on top of making a good game, is to make money. Money is what ensures the next iteration of the game is released.

That is business and business is about making money, even if it is just enough to pay the staff, pay the publisher, and have enough to release the next game.

Perhaps my comment may come across as a little cynical. Perhaps it is, but as one who retired from a public safety job to a job in the corporate world I can say that no matter how much a boss or an owner cares about the employees, his job is to make money to keep them employed, and to protect the company assets. If he has to make his product accessible to people he really does not give much thought to, just so he has money to continue, the best business practice is to do just that. When he does that his "care" is about the money he will make to continue his work, not the feelings of the consumer he is not really targeting.

simsimsheree
28-03-2018, 03:45

I like everything about the game except the things that don't work.

I just feel that it isn't necessary to give bonbons to adults for simply doing their job (that I paid them to do).

I love the track list. I love the cars. I love the time of day and the weather change possibilities. I love the crew chief commentary. I love how fast the AI is. I love how close to real life the rules are, compared to most games.

I like everything about the game except how few are playing it.

I love how defensive the moderators get...

Feel better now? :angel:

simsimsheree
28-03-2018, 04:05
I'm sorry that you perceive this amazing game as grim and humourless, I certainly do not.

I guess maybe if you had quoted the REST of my post (or even read it, this response doesn't seem to show you did) you would have noticed where I consider the grimness comes from. Get in a car, go race, great fun. It's the REST of the time that, compared to other racing games (you know, the ones played by the vast majority of players) lacks humor, fun, panache, you know... a game!

Imagine a real track day without cameradie. Imagine turning up at the track, no-one speaks to you, there's no refreshments, no banter with the crowd, no saying hi to old friends, no stalls of motorsports knicknacks, memorabilia. No track girls, no after race partying, staying up all night chewing the fat, no amusements.

Yes, getting in the car would still be fun. The scenery would still be beautiful. But it would be a hollow experience compared to what a full race day is like.

This is how I feel SMS have made their game. All the little touches that make other games fun even when you aren't in the car whizzing around some beautiful scenery... The cut scenes, the backgrounds, the ease of lobby communication, the little bits of humor and reverence for the sport, the caring about the players even when you aren't in the car. Grid girls, flyby's, fireworks at the end. You know, stuff that REAL racing considers a good idea. Should it all follow SMS's example and turn the whole motorsports experience into nothing more than showing up, getting in the car, and that's it???

simsimsheree
28-03-2018, 04:20
In my opinion, you don't have to dial back the "simness" of Project CARS to make it more appealing to the mainstream crowd. Some additional features like corner mastering, Hotlap events in career or some 1on1 "overtake the opponent within 1 Lap" events could draw some more people.
This along with a more refined driving-aid and control system would open up the game to the mainstream without compromising either the physics or livetrack or hurting MP as you can still set your lobbies to "real driving aids" or none at all for the real "hardcore" guys out there (even if it's not exactly realistic :p)

Honestly, just because Project CARS is aimed to be more realistic than some other racing games, this doesn't mean we can't learn from them. The track-mastering tool or the educational videos to be allowed into MP from GT Sport for example.
Or even worse (I might get banned for this): Some visual customisation for road cars, like rims and an ingame livery editor.

Note, this doesn't mean we have to blatantly copy them or water down any of the serious side of our beloved sim. Just make it more attractive to a wider audience and secretly lure them into the light of proper sim-racing.

This reply reflects exactly how I feel...

I cannot understand the paranoia of those that think adding game elements and a more noob-friendly introduction and migratory path from arcade sims will detract one iota from the game as is. Not one of us seriously wants to dumb down the game at its higher levels. It would be idiotic to do so, or even suggest it. But there is no shortage of old knights rushing in on their donkeys to defend fair SMS from falsely perceived dangers.

Simerection
28-03-2018, 23:25

I cannot understand the paranoia of those that think adding game elements and a more noob-friendly introduction and migratory path from arcade sims will detract one iota from the game as is. Not one of us seriously wants to dumb down the game at its higher levels. It would be idiotic to do so, or even suggest it. But there is no shortage of old knights rushing in on their donkeys to defend fair SMS from falsely perceived dangers.

Old knights and donkeys hint towards an RPG element.

Sum Dixon-Ear
29-03-2018, 00:48
Old knights and donkeys hint towards an RPG element.

Or just being aloof and condescending?

gregc
29-03-2018, 07:31

One word. Money.

SMS have a budget, and they have to choose where to spend it. I agree some kind of driving/racing school would be good for sim-newbies, but if that comes at the expense of ongiong improvements to tyre model, AI etc (or even stuff I personally don't care about like online), then I'll take the latter every time.

DinoM
29-03-2018, 09:36

Or you just do not understand the essence of this game and want it to be like other games. Why would I buy a new game if all of them were the same? This game offers you what you find in it. If you try another game, there is another one. This is called creative freedom. You choose what is closest to you.
If you keep your PC2 humorless, try AC or rF2. :D

Death Proof
30-03-2018, 15:15
I had a dream about PC2, or at least was influenced by it.

You see, I woke up the next morning after playing PC2 into the late hours of the night. A typical work day so I get up, grab some coffee, a bit of breakfast, and get ready to drive off.

Oh no!... It's raining and has been for quite some time while I slept! I realized that if I wanted to make it to work alive and without destroying every near by motorist, pedestrian, and bit of property I had to drastically tune my car.(sad face)
I need my job however so I got to it. First I started by lowering the tire pressure by .2bar, raised the ride height exactly 1.63mm front and back, decreased my brake pressure by 6-7%, gave it a little bit of positive toe in, and then....then! I was ready to go. Or so I thought.

Wait...my drive way is like a 15 degree decline and on one side a 6" puddle has formed with a 4" puddle on the other side. Oh dear I thought. With the reverse downhill speed from the decline and uneven drag on the wheels through the puddles I approximated that I would uncontrollably glide down my concrete driveway, hit those puddles and spin violently into my neighbors house front on the opposite side of the street...unacceptable...there is no way my insurance would cover that.
So I rolled my sleeves up and got ready to make the next necessary adjustments...
Then I woke up! Thank all that is holy and good...it was just a dream. It was raining outside though;)