PDA

View Full Version : Ginetta G55 GT3 handling issues

Netphreak
25-03-2018, 13:00
So the Ginetta GT3 doesn't seem to get much love on here, possibly because it sounds like an angry vacuum cleaner, but I'm trying it out at the moment on the Fuji GP circuit, and I seem to be suffering random mid corner oversteer off throttle or when needing a brake slightly between corners. Think the last 4 corners of Fuji.

I've tried changing my LSD settings, upped coast to 45 and upped pre-load to 140nm and also tried 180nm, but tbh I'm not sure what's actually causing it.
Anyone else experienced this?

My setup isn't hugely far of the Stable default, only with the rear ARB stiffened to 55nm to help kill the excessive understeer on turn-in and throughout the corner the default Stable suffers from.

rich1e I
25-03-2018, 14:02
If you're experiencing lift-off oversteer you should decrease coast ramp instead of increasing it. Also stiffening rear anti-roll bars doesn't help reduce oversteer. Increasing preload will inrease power oversteer. If you understeer on corner entry, try increasing front fast bump.

Netphreak
25-03-2018, 15:19
If you're experiencing lift-off oversteer you should decrease coast ramp instead of increasing it. Also stiffening rear anti-roll bars doesn't help reduce oversteer. Increasing preload will inrease power oversteer. If you understeer on corner entry, try increasing front fast bump.

Ah, looks like I was going about my LSD setup the wrong way then, thanks i'll try changing it the other way.

As for the rear ARB I stiffened that to reduce understeer, that the car has when using the default stable setup as a base.

cpcdem
25-03-2018, 15:35
As for the rear ARB I stiffened that to reduce understeer, that the car has when using the default stable setup as a base.

Well, when you reduce understeer, then you increase oversteer, those two go together and it's a balance...I see you're on PC, if you want, log a TT time with your setup, I will load it and give it a try and will tell you my comments.

hkraft300
25-03-2018, 15:45
Well, when you reduce understeer, then you increase oversteer, those two go together and it's a balance...

Eh.. to reduce understeer you don’t have to increase oversteer.

Understeer balance means front axle has less grip. Oversteer balance means rear axle has less grip.

If you have understeer balance, you want to increase front grip. If you take away rear grip, then the car overall has less grip than before.

See:

http://youtu.be/lIUPYUjSNJI

John Hargreaves
25-03-2018, 16:07
I think the back end can have a tendency to lock up and come round on you if you aren't running ABS, might be worth checking. It's a great car though, very light and agile. Also, made in Yorkshire :applause:

Netphreak
25-03-2018, 16:32
Well, when you reduce understeer, then you increase oversteer, those two go together and it's a balance...I see you're on PC, if you want, log a TT time with your setup, I will load it and give it a try and will tell you my comments.

I have set a TT time with my current setup at fuji.

The LSD changes above fixed the random lift off oversteer issues (unless caused by trail braking).

Mainly trying to get the dampers setup now.

I think the back end can have a tendency to lock up and come round on you if you aren't running ABS, might be worth checking. It's a great car though, very light and agile. Also, made in Yorkshire :applause:

Yeah, a friend and I are enjoying using them. Definitely seems to take a different driving style to alot of the other GT3 cars, feels like you have to man handle them/throw them into a corner to get the best out of them. Whereas I tried the BMW M6 GT3, went out and found I just had to be light on the controls/steering inputs and got within 0.6 seconds of my fastest Ginetta GT3 time, and I'd only done 8 laps total in it.

rich1e I
25-03-2018, 16:44
Ah, looks like I was going about my LSD setup the wrong way then, thanks i'll try changing it the other way.

Basically yes, you can induce oversteer with stiffer rear anti-roll bars but it's better to fix the part of the car you're having issues with, so if you're having issues with the front end don't try to fix it by changing the rear settings. Just decrease front anti-roll bars and you should be fine. Also, don't go too crazy with preload settings. Usually 100-120nm are fine. If you find the locking effect too strong, reduce it, but basically if you understeer on corner exit decreasing power ramp angle might help as well.

cpcdem
25-03-2018, 22:30
I like your setup, I think it helps a lot being consistent. About the oversteer you had in slow corners, I am not sure, but I think it was mainly due to engine braking (especially if you downshift to 1st gear in those slow corners), which you have also adjusted in your setup. I tried default, I could see what you mean, but a higher (so lower) engine braking value in the setup seemed to fix it.

Netphreak
25-03-2018, 23:33
I like your setup, I think it helps a lot being consistent. About the oversteer you had in slow corners, I am not sure, but I think it was mainly due to engine braking (especially if you downshift to 1st gear in those slow corners), which you have also adjusted in your setup. I tried default, I could see what you mean, but a higher (so lower) engine braking value in the setup seemed to fix it.

I think I've mostly dailed out the issues I was initially having, now it's just done to tweaking and getting something that feel comfortable and maybe even slightly forgiving.

I'm testing a setup with stiffer rear springs 201nm and softer 200nm front and 50nm rear ARB's compared to the one you tried, and I appear to be as fast with it, but I'm not sure which is the easier to be consistent with.

I do still get some understeer when getting on the throttle mid/late corner with both setup's and that's probably the only thing I'd like to reduce to make it an easily consistent setup to use.

Netphreak
20-04-2018, 22:29
Well, patch 5.0 seemed to really mess up all my ginetta setup's, so been rebuilding from scratch. Finding the rear of the car to be quite unpredictable, with it seemingly having no grip for no reason. I think this is affecting most/if not all GT3 cars though due to tyre changes in the patch.
Anyone else been trying the ginetta since patch?
It seems softening the rear dampers/and slow rebound help make it more predictable but, still not sure what exactly the cause it. You can notice it when using the default setup too, especially once you start pushing it, though most of the time the default just gives you understeer.

blinkngone
20-04-2018, 23:31
Well, patch 5.0 seemed to really mess up all my ginetta setup's, so been rebuilding from scratch. Finding the rear of the car to be quite unpredictable, with it seemingly having no grip for no reason. I think this is affecting most/if not all GT3 cars though due to tyre changes in the patch.
Anyone else been trying the ginetta since patch?
It seems softening the rear dampers/and slow rebound help make it more predictable but, still not sure what exactly the cause it. You can notice it when using the default setup too, especially once you start pushing it, though most of the time the default just gives you understeer.

Yes it's difficult to get the Ginetta set up with the new patch. But, once in a while someone has managed to do it. At Zolder it is behind the Audi, Ferrari, Huracan and AMG with the new patch but it is close. Have you tried running this guys setup to see if it helps? At Zhuhai he is only a tenth behind Oscaro Adalexis in the Ferrari.;)