PDA

View Full Version : R8 LMS and Ford GT LM Questions

colinL
26-03-2018, 19:39
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to do some races with the above cars, the R8 on the Nurburgring Combined and the Ford GT at Le Mans. In both cases I'm rather driving on the edge, but still miles behind the real life times. E.g. Audi R8 did something 8:15ish in 2017 on the 24h Nurb layout, my best, while driving on the edge is something about 8:40.
Now of course I'm not the best driver in the world, but to be so much off just seems odd. I'm also using setups, in both cases quite much camber, not much aero... With the R8 I can achieve about 260 KPH on the long straight at the Nurburgring, while the AI GT3s just fly past me. I'm having the AI on 105 with 40 aggression, and driving with Group C Cars seems fine for me, I do the same, sometimes even faster lap times, so I'd say it is the difficulty for me. During the race I'm nearly as fast as the AI with the R8 and GT LM, but qualification and practice? Nope not even close. But even if the AI is doing as slow as me, how on earth am I gonna get close with the R8 to real life times. I'd be thinking at a 8:20 or 8:25...

Thanks

blinkngone
27-03-2018, 15:11
Hi colinL, sorry you not getting many responses. First, in regard to your high camber settings, I would just like to point out some test runs I made for you to illustrate the effects of high camber on top speed with Audi R8 LMS. I am using the Daytona Tri-Oval. Zero downforce, I then used minimum camber on the left side and maximum camber on the right and went slower than my Ghost by around 3 tenths. I then used maximum camber on both the left and right sides and was slower by around 6 tenths. So too much camber can impact your top speed potential. The WR for the combined is 8:13.021, and your 8:40 time is not terrible, you'd be solidly mid pack based on the TT runs.http://cars2-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=3403453048&vehicle=1934199723

Ofnir4
27-03-2018, 15:44
Can't say anything about GT3 at the nurb, not my cup of tea, but the GTE at le Mans, that I know.

Short answer : Don't lose your hair over it, you'll never do 3:52 (qualifying) in a GTE around le Mans in this game. Unless you are one of those aliens and are using a TT setup a in no way will last in race condition. Or if they change the power output or drag ratio of the cars.

I've tried all the GTE (that excludes the M6) cars we have, every gear ratio I could adjust, any wing, ride height adjustment I could make, I just came to the conclusion that 3:57 is a fast lap around LM in PC2. I only once dipped into the 3:56. I was pretty satisfied (it was in race).

Reading the article about the new RSR confirmed that when Casey said that the said time they got out of the car was a 3:57.

The gearing we have to use to get to top speed is shorter than the one Ford and Porsche (I mention these two because I have the telemetry to compare) were using for example, that means that either the engine is not producing enough horsepower or the cars in game are producing too much drag.

The real life RSR at le Mans shifted from 5th to 6th at around 270 Kph, in game to reach 285/290 kph while having the downforce to have realistic speed in the porsche curves with that car, the gearing has to make you shift at 240 kph. That is a big difference.

blinkngone
27-03-2018, 15:46
Bealdor had posted on another thread about the AI that you need to be careful what you select because at the higher settings for the AI they get custom setups and unless yours is a really good custom setup they will trounch you and at the highest settings the AI get more horsepower as well so maybe you should lower your difficult settings based more on your actual pace and not what you wished it to be. This is all car/track dependent of course but I suspect from my own testing that AI GT3/GTE cars are going to be pretty accomplished at making you look bad.:D

blinkngone
27-03-2018, 15:56
The PC TT WR is another of TX3 Rinpoku's at 3:53.034(Patch 3.0) for the Ford. Ofnir4 is right, don't put too much pressure on yourself. As for the RSR they are pulling 3:51.635 in TT mode already making it the fastest GTE post Patch 4.0(C7.R still fastest at 3:51.500 but it's a 2.0 Patch run).

blinkngone
28-03-2018, 00:46
To illustrate what Bealdor was saying about the AI I set up a race at Silverstone National with 10 C7.Rs using the same conditions as TT. I have the WR at this track. I ran he AI at 100 and they were consistently running 53.6's only 6 tenths off the WR pace. When I set the AI to 120 they were bombing around in the 51's, which shows they had better setups as well as more horsepower and Alien driving abilities. I never changed my tires from a wet setup, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. This is the way you can better setup the AI for your abilities. Just pick your car/track and setup a quick race of 3 laps. Then you can check the pace of the AI and adjust the difficulty to your pace.

colinL
28-03-2018, 13:27
Ok, so I've adjusted the setup on the R8 LMS to 0 Downforce on the front and I think 2 on the rear, slightly adjusted the strut braces and the car is quite good to drive, although it tends to oversteer a little (some advice on how to correct the oversteer without sacrificing top speed because of putting more downforce?). At least I reach about 270kph on the straight now and my lap time was something mid to low 30s.
As for LM I haven't driven yet, but as you said that my time wouldn't even be bad I'll let it rest.
Still bugs me that the performance of the cars is not completely matching to the RL counterparts, especially the Hybrid LMP1s are way slower than they should be.
Thanks for the responses

Bealdor
28-03-2018, 13:38
Ok, so I've adjusted the setup on the R8 LMS to 0 Downforce on the front and I think 2 on the rear, slightly adjusted the strut braces and the car is quite good to drive, although it tends to oversteer a little (some advice on how to correct the oversteer without sacrificing top speed because of putting more downforce?).

When does the car oversteer?
Fast corners? Slow corners? Corner entry, mid corner or exit?

Still bugs me that the performance of the cars is not completely matching to the RL counterparts, especially the Hybrid LMP1s are way slower than they should be.
Thanks for the responses

Not really. fastest qualifying time in 2014 was 3:21.789 and fastest laps during the race varied between high 3:21 and 3:24.
I can reach similar laptimes with the R18 (maybe not a 3:21) and I'm totally not an alien.

Ofnir4
28-03-2018, 13:41
Actually, the LMP1 are quite on pace. It's the fuel consumption at race trim that isn't. The average TS040 qualifying time (both cars) from 2014 is 3:23.547. It's manageable.

AbeWoz
28-03-2018, 13:49
gotta remember that LMP1 has a maximum allowed use for fuel AND hybrid energy per lap at Le Mans.

There is the cap on hybrid in pC2, but not fuel use so you are able to get some ridiculous times out of these cars in-game.

i'm not sure if the fuel use limit applies to qualifying IRL tho, but I know it does in the race.

Fuel Flow Metering:
A homologated "Fuel Flow Meters" sensor must be fitted which directly measures the fuel flow through the fuel feed line to the engine. By measuring the instantaneous flow the total fuel consumption can be calculated. The LMP1 will be constrained on both: fuel energy per lap and maximum instantaneous fuel flow.

colinL
28-03-2018, 19:42
Oh well, I was thinking of the LMP1s from pCars 1 as I haven't driven them yet in 2. But good to hear that it changed..

When does the car oversteer?
Fast corners? Slow corners? Corner entry, mid corner or exit?

Hard to say. Some turns mid, some rather at the end, but generally the faster turns.
Thanks for the help

g.stew
28-03-2018, 21:24
Bealdor had posted on another thread about the AI that you need to be careful what you select because at the higher settings for the AI they get custom setups and unless yours is a really good custom setup they will trounch you and at the highest settings the AI get more horsepower as well so maybe you should lower your difficult settings based more on your actual pace and not what you wished it to be. This is all car/track dependent of course but I suspect from my own testing that AI GT3/GTE cars are going to be pretty accomplished at making you look bad.:D

I believe it was something like:

>80 : AI can use custom setups
95 : Should match real world lap times
100 : A perfect (potential) real world lap time
>100 : AI have increased horsepower

The only one mentioned in-game is that >80 can use custom setups. I tried to get confirmation that these are official numbers, maybe from pre-release testing, but couldn't find anything. I'm also interested to know which aspects of the setup the AI can change. I wondered if it's maybe just the items available through race engineer, or if they are making changes anywhere in the setup.

blinkngone
29-03-2018, 09:44
Hi g.stew. I ran another test with the AI at 120 using the same conditions as the test I ran with the C7.R. This time I used the Porsche Carrera GT. The difference this time between my WR and the AI fastest lap at 120 was significantly less(0.899 seconds). There are obviously some complex calculations going on with the AI, I don't think my lap with the Carrera was that great so I expected to be further behind. It's possible that with a decent driver the Carrera could possibly beat the AI at 120 at this track. I think, for most people who are just learning the game, setups and driving, they would be better off running a test race to adjust their AI settings.

blinkngone
29-03-2018, 10:06
I ran a couple of more tests. With the Bentley Speed 8 the AI was 0.950 seconds better than my WR and with the Renault RS01 GT3 the AI was 1.379 seconds better than my WR.

blinkngone
29-03-2018, 10:16
Using the Renault RS01 GT3 with the AI at 100 the best AI lap was 0.361 seconds slower than my WR.