PDA

View Full Version : [YES] Is the fuel weight modelled?

Keena
28-03-2018, 10:28
Ive just been doing some testing in the formula rookie. I can see no pace difference between a car fully fuelled and a car with 3 laps worth in. Does the quantity/mass of fuel in the car have an effect on performance? Obviously it should but I want to check that it actually is.
It may be the case that the formula rookie has too small a tank to make a difference but again I want to check/get feedback.

Cholton82
28-03-2018, 10:29
in short yes.

Bealdor
28-03-2018, 10:30
Yes, fuel load and tank location is modelled and has an impact on performance and car handling.
There's even some fuel "sloshing" modelled when the tank isn't completely full.

Keena
28-03-2018, 10:33
Cool. Thanks guys. I guess the rookie has such a small tank etc that the effect is not really significant. Serves me right for racing them ;) @Bealdor- someone educate the engineers about baffles in the tanks ;)

PostBox981
28-03-2018, 10:41
Yes, fuel load and tank location is modelled and has an impact on performance and car handling.
There's even some fuel "sloshing" modelled when the tank isn't completely full.

I didnīt know about the "sloshing" effect yet. Good excuse for all my hundreds of spins. :yes:

cpcdem
28-03-2018, 12:00
Try with 5 liters and then with 100 liters, you will definitely see a difference in lap times. But indeed it is not as much as you would expect and it certainly does not make sense to adjust fuel only by +/- 1 liter or so to get more performance, while risking that it won't be enough to make it to the finish line.

kligson
29-03-2018, 11:24
just as a quick reminder: You shouldn't test this in "time-trial" mode, because you'll always start there with the same fuel load,regardless of what you specified in your setup

awaite85
29-03-2018, 17:01
I lower the fuel for my qualifying setups then have it at least 50 to 60L for my race setups. That way if tires are wearing out i still have a bit of stability from fuel weight.

Keena
29-03-2018, 17:09
On an unrelated note and for those of a curious mindset- have you ever wondered why there are anti-static additives in fuel nowadays? On a related note, why are there baffles fitted in fuel tanks to limit the sloshing of fuel?

Short answer- it can explode. At least one explosion has occurred as a result of fuel agitation which destroyed a 747 in flight, some years ago now so don't fret.

Should make interesting reading for those who like this kind of thing...
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/718091.pdf