PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the Wheel Calibration in PC2

Sith Metal
29-03-2018, 10:30
I am after 540 degrees, i am under the impression i set my wheel at 1260?

This is after seeing a video on youtube who states that 900-540 = 360 + 900 = 1260.

Is this correct?

Why didn't SMS put in a simple wheel rotation selection like in Forza.

AbeWoz
29-03-2018, 12:19
set your wheel to it's maximum DOR, usually 900 or 1080.
assign axis in the controls menu in PC2.
run the calibration tool to read 900 DOR.

set DOR per car via the steering ratio adjustment in the car setup menu.

Schnizz58
29-03-2018, 14:31
run the calibration tool to read 900 DOR.
Actually this step isn't quite right. You turn the wheel 90. The point of calibration is to find out what the game thinks 90 of rotation is. It should be around 900 but it may not be exactly.

MaXyM
29-03-2018, 14:40
actually in-game calibration tool has 2 steps:
1. turn it to limit to calibrate the maximum range
2. turn 90 degree to calibrate linearity

After this the game take care about the lock depending on car you choose

Sentry87
29-03-2018, 16:03
I turn the wheel completely. Then second part I turn it until it reads 900.

AbeWoz
29-03-2018, 16:19

correct, at least thats what I did in PC1 and PC2

Atak Kat
29-03-2018, 16:21
Just a note. I use T300.

I used to short calibrate my wheel in this calibration menu. I would not turn it the full distance in step one.

I found that this really messed with the FFB smoothness. It was really choppy and lumpy.

I saw major improvements to the overall FFB smoothness (like night and day) when I first made sure the wheel itself was set to the 1080 setting (you do this with the mode button on the T300, need to see the Thrustmaster instructions), then calibrate the wheel fully in PC2 to the full turning range.

So just be cautious about under-calibrating because I found it really made a very very bad and lumpy/strange effect on the ffb...

MaXyM
29-03-2018, 16:41

you meant 90 degrees (?)

Sentry87
29-03-2018, 17:21
you meant 90 degrees (?)

No, it asks to turn the wheel 90. But so I don't confuse myself I just turn it until it shows 900 rotation on screen. Should give same result, if I'm not mistaken.

Charger
29-03-2018, 17:53
No, it asks to turn the wheel 90. But so I don't confuse myself I just turn it until it shows 900 rotation on screen. Should give same result, if I'm not mistaken.

No, you will find if you turn the wheel on the first calibration all the way and not force it just let it lightly hit the stop when you do the 90 degree rotation it may end up around 870 at 90 degrees or something similar, you don't rotate it so it reads 900 you rotate it so it is vertical, I used the top edge of wheels plate which is a straight edge to align it 90 degrees and set it there.

That is then the wheels natural full lock and true 90 degree setting, not all wheels actually rotate 900 or 1080, they are all different even for the same wheel type.

Schnizz58
29-03-2018, 19:34
Then you're not calibrating it. If the game already knew the amount you turned the wheel was 90, then you wouldn't need to calibrate it.

Sankyo
29-03-2018, 19:43
So to summarize the discussion, here is how you correctly calibrate your wheel in pC2:

- In the wheel's device driver or on the wheel itself, set the wheel to the full rotation angle/range that the hardware allows, i.e. 900 or 1080 degrees depending on your wheel.
- In-game, in step 1 of the calibration turn your wheel to full lock, then center it again.
- In step 2, turn the wheel to 90 degrees rotation, keep it there and click Next. The game will show you the full rotation range of the wheel which usually is a bit less than the advertised range (e.g. 870 instead of 900)

This way you calibrate the real rotation angle/range of the wheel. Furthermore, by using the full range of the wheel you'll allow the game to set the wheel rotation per car to what the real car has (by using a soft stop). If you want faster steering, you should change the steering ratio in the car's set-up.

Sentry87
29-03-2018, 20:33
No, you will find if you turn the wheel on the first calibration all the way and not force it just let it lightly hit the stop when you do the 90 degree rotation it may end up around 870 at 90 degrees or something similar, you don't rotate it so it reads 900 you rotate it so it is vertical, I used the top edge of wheels plate which is a straight edge to align it 90 degrees and set it there.

That is then the wheels natural full lock and true 90 degree setting, not all wheels actually rotate 900 or 1080, they are all different even for the same wheel type.

Hmm..im a bit confused. I turn the wheel all the way so it's locked then I turn it to where it reads 900 which is about a 90 turn if I remember correctly. I could be doing it wrong, who knows. I got mine of a youtube video of some guy calibrating a g29 when I got my new wheel.

*edit* I don't recenter the wheel, after the first step, which is apparently wrong

John Hargreaves
29-03-2018, 21:02
I am after 540 degrees, i am under the impression i set my wheel at 1260?

This is after seeing a video on youtube who states that 900-540 = 360 + 900 = 1260.

Is this correct?

Why didn't SMS put in a simple wheel rotation selection like in Forza.

540deg is easy enough, I run this with my G29. Go into options > calibrate wheel, in step 1 turn the wheel as far as you can without taking your hands off it (this will be about 500deg) then return to centre and click step 2. Turn the wheel 90deg one way or the other, hold it there and click. Click next/exit out and you are done, this will override whatever you have set in Logitech software and takes about 10 sec to do. It can be done from within a race too.
If you have say 900deg set in LGS, you may have to redo the calibration from time to time, but it is so quick to do it's no bother.

FxUK
29-03-2018, 21:06
.. by using the full range of the wheel you'll allow the game to set the wheel rotation per car to what the real car has (by using a soft stop). If you want faster steering, you should change the steering ratio in the car's set-up.

+1, Calibrating properly, then changing the steering ratio rather than 'faking the calibration' is the way to go
But... you said soft stop. I haven't felt a soft stop in PC2 so far, and often wished it had it. Does it only work on some wheels?

Hmm..im a bit confused. I turn the wheel all the way so it's locked then I turn it to where it reads 900 which is about a 90 turn if I remember correctly. I could be doing it wrong, who knows. I got mine of a youtube video of some guy calibrating a g29 when I got my new wheel.

*edit* I don't recenter the wheel, after the first step, which is apparently wrong

You should be turning it so its 90 degrees, ignoring the value on screen, since this is based on your 100% lock value, which may not actually be the full 900, it might be 890 for example. As far as I am aware anyway.
This way, the in-car wheel will align with yours rather than being somewhat off.

Under calibrating to fake say 520 degrees will affect everything else, like FFB and will also cause the dynamic wheel range (based on the vehicle) to be off, i.e an Formula A car in game isn't 900, whereas a road car might be.
This is what the steering ratio setting per car is for.

Sampo
30-03-2018, 00:00
To summarize: Just follow the prompts on the screen when you calibrate. :)

Sentry87
30-03-2018, 04:43

Lol that's what i get by over thinking it and looking up videos on how to do it.

For what it's worth, the way I did it feels fine afaik. But I'll try to calibrate it the pepper way and see how it goes

Zaskarspants
30-03-2018, 11:07
fxuk - "Calibrating properly, then changing the steering ratio rather than 'faking the calibration' is the way to go
But... you said soft stop. I haven't felt a soft stop in PC2 so far, and often wished it had it. Does it only work on some wheels?"

You may not be feeling softlock if you run a stiff wheel. A low torque wheel may not have enough torque to give the soft lock effect in addition to the feedback torque.

Sankyo
30-03-2018, 11:19
fxuk - "Calibrating properly, then changing the steering ratio rather than 'faking the calibration' is the way to go
But... you said soft stop. I haven't felt a soft stop in PC2 so far, and often wished it had it. Does it only work on some wheels?"

You may not be feeling softlock if you run a stiff wheel. A low torque wheel may not have enough torque to give the soft lock effect in addition to the feedback torque.
Correct. You'll only feel the soft stop if the wheel still has room to generate a higher force than what it's delivering from FFB. If you're running on max FFB strength in the game, the soft stop will not be noticeable. You can verify if it works by lowering the in-game FFB strength so that FFB is very light, and then turn the wheel in-car until you get to its max steering angle.

Shockwave Fox
30-03-2018, 13:02
So, you turn the wheel to 100, then back to 0, then 90 degrees yeah?

Sankyo
30-03-2018, 13:22
So, you turn the wheel to 100, then back to 0, then 90 degrees yeah?
Yeah.

FxUK
14-04-2018, 16:31

I just changed to a CSW v2.5 wheel and have felt the soft lock on that, but with the TM wheel, no matter how I spun it (ffb strength and settings wise) I never once felt it.
With the CSW it was there from the beginning and turning spring (iirc) to 100 emphasises it much more without affecting anything else, from what I can tell so far, still experimenting, but happy :)

WellRED Barron
16-04-2018, 01:48
To answer the OP, yes... 900 + 360 = 1260, and 900 + 540 = 1440... and for whatever reason, that is how you get 360 or 540 degrees for ALL cars. Otherwise you need to adjust each car to your liking.

I usually use the calibration to limit my wheel. When I am in rhythm, testing multiple cars, I like them all to have the same turning ratio or I fall out of my zone.

It works to calibrate that way on my wheel, and it is fast, and I don’t need to save it anywhere. Dunno why it works, but it does.

demand34
16-04-2018, 11:27

That is then the wheels natural full lock and true 90 degree setting, not all wheels actually rotate 900 or 1080, they are all different even for the same wheel type.That was with old peripheral stuff (g25, 27 etc). With todays 16bit resolution featured on wheels such as with T300, t500 etc or G29, the game marks perfectly fine where the 90 point is, so If you have your t300 or t500 set to 1080 in control panel, then I would very much recommend you to set it to, in this case, 1080 the moment PC2 calibration tool shows you 1080 on the screen as you turn it 90.

If we were talking about old wheels then I'd agree with you, but it's been a while since then. So if you have a modern peripheral of these, and in the calibration part when you have to rotate 90 marks you 1080 (or 900 if you have a 900 only wheel), then I would press ok right by that mark, not when I see the wheel is perfeclty turned at 90.

slthree
16-04-2018, 21:37
Hello all. This is my first post here but I have been reading your work for weeks. This site has helped me a great deal.

So, my problem:

When I turn my wheel to the right at the first step, it stops at 39. Surely, that can't be right, right?

I'm using CSL Elite Wheel BTW

Charger
16-04-2018, 21:52
That was with old peripheral stuff (g25, 27 etc). With todays 16bit resolution featured on wheels such as with T300, t500 etc or G29, the game marks perfectly fine where the 90 point is, so If you have your t300 or t500 set to 1080 in control panel, then I would very much recommend you to set it to, in this case, 1080 the moment PC2 calibration tool shows you 1080 on the screen as you turn it 90.

If we were talking about old wheels then I'd agree with you, but it's been a while since then. So if you have a modern peripheral of these, and in the calibration part when you have to rotate 90 marks you 1080 (or 900 if you have a 900 only wheel), then I would press ok right by that mark, not when I see the wheel is perfeclty turned at 90.

I disagree, my T500 although set in TM profiler at 1080 when rotated to full lock never reached the 100% and therefore when I went to 90 degrees it showed around 1027 iirc exactly at 90 degrees vertical while viewing the wheel, if I set it at 1080 in game it was not at 90 degrees it was off.

I now have an Accuforce which is set at 900 but I will have to double check what that reports in game but I set that the same to actual 90 degrees not what the game tells me using a free bubble spirit level app.

I have yet to find a wheel that does 100% lock correctly they are all a few degrees off in game and their true 90 degrees is visual not what the game tells me.

Doomskee
29-04-2018, 22:29
Mine, A g27 with adaptor is set at 100 for first number and 1250 for the second. Works Awesome. My buddy uses these same numbers with his T500

Doomskee
29-04-2018, 22:40
turn to 100 > hit next > let go >turn 90 degrees > hit next. Should read 100 for first about 1250 for the second

simsimsheree
30-04-2018, 06:04

There is nothing on screen about first setting your wheel to 1080 or whatever its max setting is... At least on PS4. In fact, I read a post about setting the wheel to 900 first before you calibrate here, somewhere... There seems to be so much conflicting advice floating around!

BTW, you can't change the steering rack in forced default settings. So how you have the wheel itself set seems to be quite an important aspect.

Sankyo
30-04-2018, 06:19
There is nothing on screen about first setting your wheel to 1080 or whatever its max setting is... At least on PS4. In fact, I read a post about setting the wheel to 900 first before you calibrate here, somewhere... There seems to be so much conflicting advice floating around!

BTW, you can't change the steering rack in forced default settings. So how you have the wheel itself set seems to be quite an important aspect.

The game assumes you have set the wheel to its max steering angle. After the calibration the game knows exactly what it is and will adjust things like soft lock and steering sensitivity to match the real car.

Not being able to adjust the steering ratio (which is what you meant I think?) with forced default setup is the whole point of using forced default setup. The fact that someone maybe doesn't like that particular steering ratio is not a flaw in the game, just like any other setup option you cannot change in this situation.

simsimsheree
30-04-2018, 06:43
The game assumes you have set the wheel to its max steering angle. After the calibration the game knows exactly what it is and will adjust things like soft lock and steering sensitivity to match the real car.

Not being able to adjust the steering ratio (which is what you meant I think?) with forced default setup is the whole point of using forced default setup. The fact that someone maybe doesn't like that particular steering ratio is not a flaw in the game, just like any other setup option you cannot change in this situation.

There we have it... assumptions. If setting the wheel to its maximum rotation first is so critical, why is that information NOT on the calibration screen? You possibly noted, I quoted that post to show that the advice 'Simply follow the prompts' is incomplete.

BTW, with my T150 set to 1080, I find most of the default steering ratios completely unrealistic. 900 seems to feel far more drivable. Are you sure that consoles have as many options as PC players do?

demand34
30-04-2018, 08:10
Just a note. I use T300.

I used to short calibrate my wheel in this calibration menu. I would not turn it the full distance in step one.

I found that this really messed with the FFB smoothness. It was really choppy and lumpy.

I saw major improvements to the overall FFB smoothness (like night and day) when I first made sure the wheel itself was set to the 1080 setting (you do this with the mode button on the T300, need to see the Thrustmaster instructions), then calibrate the wheel fully in PC2 to the full turning range.

So just be cautious about under-calibrating because I found it really made a very very bad and lumpy/strange effect on the ffb...This is what you have to do.

1-) Thrustmaster control panel. Set your T300 to 1080
2-) Go into PC2 menu-controls. Your wheel appears already recognized.
3-) Calibrate your wheel in the wheel calibration option.
4-) To do this, first rotate your wheel anti-clockwise to its maximum lock. Remember that TM added a little extra rotation ro the 1080 mode some firmswares ago with another extra soft lock. I mean rotate the wheel to the left until you can no more, not until you find the first soft lock (over pass it).
5-) Then rotate your wheel either clock or anticlock wise 90 until you see the exact number of 1080, neither less nor more. The wheel has 16bit of position resolution so you don't need to figure out where the actual 90 to accomplish 1080. That was the case for older peripherals, like G25 and such. Never for the t300, t500 or more modern wheels.

Just that. It's very easy as you see. Set your degrees of rotation to 1080 in your TM panel, and then enter the game and do that. You're done.

MaXyM
30-04-2018, 08:27

It's assumption of person who doesn't consider that players uses different steering wheels. I believe there are still users with low-rotation ones.
At this point it's not the assumption but bad design. Because of differnces in controllers, steering ratio as well as brake pressure shouldn't be locked by car setup.

But there is a problem to achieve it: PC2 disallow to run changes in setup without saving it. I would say this is main technical limitation to achieve proper behaviour of locked setups.