PDA

View Full Version : need the racing license explained

roseberrya
04-04-2018, 02:22
what causes the number rating to go up and go down specifically? because i'm racing with 1800's and matching lap times, but my rating just keeps going down no matter what. it should be based on lap times, and not winning because we all know there are unfair advantages all over this game, and no one is honest in it.

with a max rating of 5000, and 5 seconds slower than record lap times on most tracks i've ever driven, i find it hard to believe that you monitize the ratings by micro decimals for every point of driver license rating. but since i'm matching laptimes with 1800's, i should be going up and not down.

Sampo
04-04-2018, 03:24
If you finish higher than people with a better rating, you will get more points than finishing lower than them. If you finish lower than people with a lower rating, you will get less points than finishing higher than them. The real point is finishing. :)

Bealdor
04-04-2018, 05:49
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55735-Competitive-Racing-License-Infographic-Feedback-requested

JasonSandwich
04-04-2018, 06:17
This is also helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WFDKD99SKg

Mad Al
04-04-2018, 09:20
lap times are really immaterial. Stay on track (which helps your safety rating too) and beat the other people. Plain and simple. Make sure you race against people with similar numbers to yours (within a few hundred) and the rating only applies to online MP, nothing else.

foxymop
04-04-2018, 09:25
You win, you get points, if you win with a higher racer, you win more points, if you loose you loose points, if you loose to someone lower you loose more points.

Stewy32
04-04-2018, 10:02
Lap times would just give the TT guys the highest rating.Driving 1 lap alone shows nothing about how well you drive 30 with 15 others.

CastrolGT
04-04-2018, 10:36
a basic tip that I saw many times: if you finish ahead of half of the grid in the end of the race, you win points(the amount varies with the amount of drivers and of course, their rate) if you finish right at the middle of the grid (for example 6 out of 12) you don't win or lose any points. if you finish behind half of the grid, you lose points. if you leave the room, you loose points. if you get disconnected, you loose points(which is totally unfair because a disconnect is totally not our fault). the grid should be the one at the end of the race. if you start with 30 peoples but finish with only 10, the 10 people grid will count if you finish the race

Bealdor
04-04-2018, 10:38
if you start with 30 peoples but finish with only 10, the 10 people grid will count if you finish the race

That's not true. Finishing 10th in this situation will count as beating those 20 players who left/disconnected.

CastrolGT
04-04-2018, 11:34
that's what I experienced. I joined a race with 31 people(excluding me). alongside the race, there were many people that left the session(rage quit, probably. the race was a carnage at first lap as usual). I worked my way up to the middle of the pack. there were 16 people at the finish. I was in 8th position. right in the middle of the remaining grid. I didn't win or lose points. I had that many times with multiple sessions and the result was like I described. I also finished one just under the middle of the grid. and I just lose a very little amount of points

Bealdor
04-04-2018, 11:37
that's what I experienced. I joined a race with 31 people(excluding me). alongside the race, there were many people that left the session(rage quit, probably. the race was a carnage at first lap as usual). I worked my way up to the middle of the pack. there were 16 people at the finish. I was in 8th position. right in the middle of the remaining grid. I didn't win or lose points. I had that many times with multiple sessions and the result was like I described. I also finished one just under the middle of the grid. and I just lose a very little amount of points

All players that started the race are taken into account when license points are calculated afterwards.
That's why you're losing comparatively many points when getting disconnected because you're automatically losing against everyone who's still racing at this point.

It's also not true that the points distribution is handled like you suspect. If you have the best rating in the lobby finishing 2nd can already make you lose points and if you're at the bottom end rating wise you can already gain points by finishing midfield.

CastrolGT
04-04-2018, 11:43
if that's what you have when you play online, then ok. but that's not what I have. I can finish 2nd, I still gain points. as I said, I only lose points when I finish under the middle of the remaining grid. I won't come up with a fake thing. I'm barely above 1700 rating (A1704 precisely) and even if I'm 2nd behind someone who have a way lower rating than me, I still win points. less, I admit it. but still. I never experienced a race where I'm 10th over 27 people(for example) and still lose points. that's what I have everytime when I play online and I'm not joking

Bealdor
04-04-2018, 11:46
Do your opponents normally have a similar performance rating?

CastrolGT
04-04-2018, 11:54
usually, there's most people that are between 1400-1570 in the lobbys. sometimes, there's some 1600+ and even rare 1800+. some S rank, some A rank, some B rank, and most of the time, U rank. I don't know why there's so few high ranked online. maybe because they're mainly in a league. but that's what I encounter most of the time in public lobbys

cpcdem
04-04-2018, 13:34
It's also the experience/seniority thing that affects this, beating a more experienced player (strip color in the license) will give you (possibly much) more points and vice versa.

Regarding people having abandoned the server (not retired, that's a different thing), I also thought I had noticed they are not taken into account at all. But maybe I was wrong, will pay more attention in my next races to check this.

Lakiboom
04-04-2018, 14:09
I thought you lose license points only when you spin or contact with other players.

Bealdor
04-04-2018, 14:13
I thought you lose license points only when you spin or contact with other players.

No, that's only affecting your safety rating (the letter).

rich1e I
04-04-2018, 14:14
If you spin out or have contact you lose safety rank. Performance rank is calculated by your finishing position compared to your opponents.

micmansour
05-04-2018, 00:53
So once you're S-rated, is it possible to lose this rating?

Mahjik
05-04-2018, 01:29
So once you're S-rated, is it possible to lose this rating?

Yes

Sid Snott
05-04-2018, 07:50
Yes

When i look at my rating it just says S. It would be good to have the percentage bar like when you are working your way up the safety rating so you can see how close you are to losing the S rating.
Maybe it should be as hard as going from A rating to S to keep the percentage up, but lose twice as many points when making contact etc

Voodoochild
05-04-2018, 11:54
don't sweat over skill rating, the algorithm that calculates it is bugged.
for example: if a backmarker crosses the finishing line between P1 and P2, his rating will be adjusted as he'd finished second.

Malcstar
05-04-2018, 12:17
I've been in so much carnage lately, I'm surprised I still got my "s".

Castrol sums up the way I see how the rating system works. For the life of me I can't get past the 1520 mark.

I do only like to up my rating just in case it's a lobby requirement. What's funny is racers that have such a high rating and low safety. I mean if your winning your most likely not hitting anyone, right? I dunno, at least it gives us something to gauge other players by.

balderz002
05-04-2018, 12:35
If this thread is about online, multiplayer ranking, shouldn't it be in a multiplayer subforum?

WGIstation6a
05-04-2018, 16:34
My only question is what are the requirements for the gold bar on the license? I’ve completed 201 online races and have over two days into online play and am still sitting on silver.

roseberrya
05-04-2018, 16:38
http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?55735-Competitive-Racing-License-Infographic-Feedback-requested

thanks. i've googled it multiple times, and couldn't find a clear description of the system. just a standard drive better and get more points, behave and get better letters thing...

you can delete the thread

KANETAKER
05-04-2018, 21:31
My only question is what are the requirements for the gold bar on the license? I’ve completed 201 online races and have over two days into online play and am still sitting on silver.

Only Ranked Races count for this (any lobby with Licence Points enabled).

WGIstation6a
06-04-2018, 01:04
Yes, but how many was the question.

Sum Dixon-Ear
06-04-2018, 01:56
Yes, but how many was the question.

From Matt York's informative video on the subject -

DECATUR PLAYA
06-04-2018, 06:29
The system is a bit more complex than what people give it credit or at least thats my understanding of it. The system takes into account many different things hitting walls, hitting cones, off track, penalties, dq`s, qualifying, warnings, slowdowns, how you honor the slowdown, contact, rear end contact, position give backs, finishing position and so on. Maybe im seeing ghost in the system but in 545 races im telling you what I see. Qualifying matters. In most cases if I qualify lower than a D1478 lets say first and second and im in second above other lower ranked players. (Im a S1703 veteran license) I will not lose points for losing to the D1478 beacause he qualified on pole. I might not get many points (3 or so) I may stay neutral but I will get credit for my podium 2nd place finish. He may get 23 points or so for beating me but thats fine by me if I get 2 points for second. Sometimes I do lose points in this situation but most times I gain and when I do lose again its minimal maybe -2 points.

The point is it is way more complex than you lose or you win.

Oh I forgot side by side racing and passing are also part of the system. One of the craziest parts of the system is you actually get credit for getting passed cleanly. If a guy is just plain faster than you or if he has you in a turn and you give and let the guy go the game gives you credit for good driving. Go figure.

The reason the high skilled guys (On xbox at least) are only around 1900 to maybe 2100 is because once you seperate by about 200 to 300 points from average you get only get 2 points for a win but you can lose 23 points with a bad loss. One of my buddies is S1958 I see it every night. I can come in second all night and rack up 8-12 points a race while he gets a point for winning. The irony is it really keeps the community together and moving up together. The early disconnect guys are roaring back right now and racking up big points for beating higher ranked guys and finishing well. The high ranked guys wont move much till the low rank guys get better. Now aint that something.

Again maybe I see ghost in the system but im telling you what I see.

MaXyM
06-04-2018, 06:47
I though the main goal of rank system is to split community into categories. Not keep them together.

But yes, I have simmilar feelings to yours.

DECATUR PLAYA
06-04-2018, 08:31
I though the main goal of rank system is to split community into categories. Not keep them together.

But yes, I have simmilar feelings to yours.

It did split the community. It split the Racers from the trolls. It kept the racers together for the most part.

senna94f1
18-09-2018, 07:38
Well the colour system must have glitched on mine,

I have over 500 races ,most on online and wins and poles that sort of thing, over 500 hours of sim race time ,

And a s ranked lience, a few months ago i had the rainbow lience , then a few updates ago my game crashed after update,
I then had to completely uninstall game and reinstall game, I then reinstalled my career and load up the drive lience, and from that point it's stuck on gold ,

My lience is S ranked and has been well before last Christmas, my lience has gone up also, so I have no idea as why it's stuck on gold when it was rainbow before I had to do a full reinstall,
Everything is reinstated as before game crashed, ,
Or rainbow could mean you have to have over 350 online races, which I have more,

It's a puzzle to me as we've had this many discussions in our league.

Bealdor
18-09-2018, 07:40
Races with disabled Competitive Racing License don't count.

SLOPPY1000
21-02-2019, 17:19
Initially I was excited about the license system, I thought finally it will force people to race safely but how wrong I was, its such a shame Project Cars 2 can't differentiate whose at fault when contact is made, I'm so fed up with spending hours building my safety grade up only to find myself in a race where some people just don't care, as a result I'm spun into a wall and end up at the back of the pack and my rating goes with it, its like taking Rhianna out on a date, you put all the hard work in then just as you head back for a coffee some guy comes a long and takes it all away, frustrating or what?

I've come to the conclusion we should just ignore the licence system, if it isn't going to penalise correctly for dangerous driving then clearly it doesn't really do its job.

Hey come back Rhianna.... perhaps another drink?

Stewy32
21-02-2019, 17:38
Initially I was excited about the license system, I thought finally it will force people to race safely but how wrong I was, its such a shame Project Cars 2 can't differentiate whose at fault when contact is made, I'm so fed up with spending hours building my safety grade up only to find myself in a race where some people just don't care, as a result I'm spun into a wall and end up at the back of the pack and my rating goes with it, its like taking Rhianna out on a date, you put all the hard work in then just as you head back for a coffee some guy comes a long and takes it all away, frustrating or what?

I've come to the conclusion we should just ignore the licence system, if it isn't going to penalise correctly for dangerous driving then clearly it doesn't really do its job.

Hey come back Rhianna...…. perhaps another drink?

The truth is players don't use the license system. I think part of SMS' idea was that once you got to, say, E license, you would mainly race in E rated lobbies. However, what happens is most lobbies are U or F to increase the maximum potential player count.
The license system does do it job. It will penalise you when it isn't your fault, but you will be in more incidents when some are your fault.

cpcdem
21-02-2019, 21:00
It's also that a lot of people do not want to join rated lobbies, because they do not want to lose their points. I really hope at least in PCARS3 it will be possible to create lobbies with only the safety aspect of the license system enabled.

JasonSandwich
21-02-2019, 21:48
It's also that a lot of people do not want to join rated lobbies, because they do not want to lose their points. I really hope at least in PCARS3 it will be possible to create lobbies with only the safety aspect of the license system enabled.

I really like this idea.