PDA

View Full Version : Question about Ghost Setups and being Slower

buick87gn
05-04-2018, 14:19
Newbie is using the same vehicle and loading the same setup of the fastest speed for that particular track. My question is why every time that I approach the starting line for each lap that I make that the ghost vehicle very quickly in a short manner of time totally blows my doors off. It would seem that I should be very close to the ghost vehicle since I am using the same vehicle and their ghost setup. Am I right or wrong in regards to this? There must be some other reason why I am much slower than the ghost setup.

sisollazzo
05-04-2018, 14:48
Newbie is using the same vehicle and loading the same setup of the fastest speed for that particular track. My question is why every time that I approach the starting line for each lap that I make that the ghost vehicle very quickly in a short manner of time totally blows my doors off. It would seem that I should be very close to the ghost vehicle since I am using the same vehicle and their ghost setup. Am I right or wrong in regards to this? There must be some other reason why I am much slower than the ghost setup.

Yes I have the same question.
I am not new to this game.
I tryed setups of fastest ghoast.
They are so unstable.
How they cab achieve such lap times.

MrTulip
05-04-2018, 14:50
It really depends on car and track. Not knowing what specific combination we are talking about I just mention few general tricks.

If there was a turn and small straight just before the lap starting point, he may have sacrificed the optimal cornering of the last bend and have gone wide to gain longer acceleration distance to gain more speed after the finish line. So in effect he would be already going bit faster when you both start the lap. Total lap time would be worse if one did that on the actual timed lap.
Some tracks may even have tarmac to reverse to before going on to fast lap for maximum speed on the beginning of the lap (although I haven't paid attention to it in PCARS2, but iRacing had those).

Also the traditional racing line is not always optimal. With some long corners and with some cars, if the tyres and car's power band allow it, one can drive the whole bend not going traditional "out-in-out" but "in-in-in" instead.

Then you should pay attention when to shift; some cars have power bands that have best acceleration on lower revs. If you always shift at the limiter, you may lose speed with those, while some other cars may still gain speed even when you are already hitting the limiter (so you may actually want to do that for a while before shifting on higher gear).

cpcdem
05-04-2018, 14:56
I agree with what MrTulip says, additionally they may have managed to get back on throttle more quickly after the last turn, resulting in a higher speed when crossing the start line. Also guys please tell us which combos you are using and which ghosts you are comparing with, to give you more specific opinions about them.

SPC4S4
05-04-2018, 15:23
It really depends on car and track. Not knowing what specific combination we are talking about I just mention few general tricks.

If there was a turn and small straight just before the lap starting point, he may have sacrificed the optimal cornering of the last bend and have gone wide to gain longer acceleration distance to gain more speed after the finish line. So in effect he would be already going bit faster when you both start the lap. Total lap time would be worse if one did that on the actual timed lap.
Some tracks may even have tarmac to reverse to before going on to fast lap for maximum speed on the beginning of the lap (although I haven't paid attention to it in PCARS2, but iRacing had those).

Also the traditional racing line is not always optimal. With some long corners and with some cars, if the tyres and car's power band allow it, one can drive the whole bend not going traditional "out-in-out" but "in-in-in" instead.

Then you should pay attention when to shift; some cars have power bands that have best acceleration on lower revs. If you always shift at the limiter, you may lose speed with those, while some other cars may still gain speed even when you are already hitting the limiter (so you may actually want to do that for a while before shifting on higher gear).

Towards the end of the ghost lap, you should be able to see what they did in order to blast through the starting line with greater speed and try to replicate. The trick is to stay close enough to the ghost in order to see it!

MaXyM
05-04-2018, 15:33
They are so unstable.

Such setups are unstable because of a few reasons:
- drivers made them for their personal preferences. It's common knowledge that a setup which fit one driver's driving style must not fit another's
- setups itself don't make best times. It's drivers who do. Drivers on top of the scoreboard are skilled to the level which allows them to use aggressive setups
- those setups are designed for TimeTrial/hotlapping. Just for one gold lap (if a driver has enough luck).

cpcdem
05-04-2018, 15:34
Towards the end of the ghost lap, you should be able to see what they did in order to blast through the starting line with greater speed and try to replicate. The trick is to stay close enough to the ghost in order to see it!

That can help but it is not always the case, because the "trick" used for getting a good speed at the start/finish for a good next lap might be hurting the current lap time, so you only do it before the lap starts, when the ghost is not yet available. MrTulip explained this in his post.

TorTorden
05-04-2018, 15:43
It could also be old times.

Both physics and cars have been tweaked so a lot of older standing TT records are now impossible to meet.

DECATUR PLAYA
05-04-2018, 16:29

He is in front of you because he exited the last turn before the start finish better than you. The better you exit a turn the higher your top speeds will be for the next turn. He is simply just going faster than you. Perfect the last turn before the start finish and I guarantee you guys will be running even. If you get a better exit than he does then you will be running in front.

buick87gn
05-04-2018, 19:58
He is in front of you because he exited the last turn before the start finish better than you. The better you exit a turn the higher your top speeds will be for the next turn. He is simply just going faster than you. Perfect the last turn before the start finish and I guarantee you guys will be running even. If you get a better exit than he does then you will be running in front.

Thanks for the tip! I can run about even with the ghost vehicle for about the first 1/4 to 1/3 mile from the starting line; and then it's lights out for the remainder of the lap. Some of the lap times for the top ghost cars seem totally unrealistic.

simsimsheree
05-04-2018, 20:48
You have to understand the time and dedication some of the fastest drivers put into getting where they are. Quite a few of them have been with PCARS since inception, which is several YEARS.

You just got the game recently, right?

Try to imagine where you'll be YEARS from now... Pretty fast, right?!

buick87gn
05-04-2018, 21:08
You have to understand the time and dedication some of the fastest drivers put into getting where they are. Quite a few of them have been with PCARS since inception, which is several YEARS.

You just got the game recently, right?

Try to imagine where you'll be YEARS from now... Pretty fast, right?!

I have driven on some of these tracks at speeds in excess of 235 mph on the straightaways before the real sharp hairpin curves. I calculated using their lap times that they had to average that speed in all of the corners as well to achieve that. Since this is nearly impossible for most PC2 drivers to do; they are not just good fast drivers that are human; but some sort of super being in which physics and logic does not apply in my opinion. Maybe this topic might be better discussed on another thread.

DECATUR PLAYA
05-04-2018, 21:10
Thanks for the tip! I can run about even with the ghost vehicle for about the first 1/4 to 1/3 mile from the starting line; and then it's lights out for the remainder of the lap. Some of the lap times for the top ghost cars seem totally unrealistic.

Keep plugging away at the ghost. Try to figure out the turn or turns where he leaves you then you will stay with him for 2/3 of the lap. Then figure out the last few turns and you will be as fast as the ghost. Once you learn to go fast you never forget.

Sometimes the top ghost is not a good target as his skill level, knowledge, and talent may be way beyond yours. Using a slower ghost is the same as using lower level AI for your skill level.

cpcdem
05-04-2018, 22:11

Please give some people the chance to explain why they are realistic. Just tell us which cars and tracks you are using.

MrTulip
05-04-2018, 22:24
I have driven on some of these tracks at speeds in excess of 235 mph on the straightaways before the real sharp hairpin curves. I calculated using their lap times that they had to average that speed in all of the corners as well to achieve that. Since this is nearly impossible for most PC2 drivers to do; they are not just good fast drivers that are human; but some sort of super being in which physics and logic does not apply in my opinion. Maybe this topic might be better discussed on another thread.

In my experience, the shorter the track, the harder it is to find any mistakes in "aliens". You are actually just depicting the reason why absolut top times are called us such; they are unbelievable.
Longer tracks may show some mistakes somewhere as they are human after all.

Of course if there is no ghost car it could be anything. And even with ghosts there may be people who have found a gap in physics and setups to abuse, but it is getting harder as sims can cope wider variety of conditions these days.

But I don't think that most times that can be considered alien are done by abusing something, unless one counts in grinding thousands and thousands of laps for last 20 years on the same or almost same tracks in different simulators. When you know the basics of one track, new laser scanned versions of the track just add more detail they are ready to aknowledge on top of their existing knowledge. 10% more new to learn for them, when the rest have to start from scratch. Most of all, they have invested time in it.

g.stew
05-04-2018, 22:31
Are you sure you are using the same car as the ghost? Since you are on PS4, the ghost leaderboards are mixed. So, if you have a gt3 car you'll see gt1 cars on the top times, or if you are using formula c you'll have formula x as the top times. If you are pretty new and trying to drive one of these cars with the top times, you will probably not know how to get the best times out of them. Like the others have said, let us know the type of car and the track and someone might know some tips for that combo.

Austin Ogonoski
05-04-2018, 23:19
They are so unstable.

We steer with the brakes, not with the steering wheel.

buick87gn
06-04-2018, 13:14
Please give some people the chance to explain why they are realistic. Just tell us which cars and tracks you are using.

Sorry but the topic of which track records are unrealistic should be held on another post for some other time. I do not wish to open a hornets nest since there are probably some strong opinions on either side of this issue.

buick87gn
06-04-2018, 13:21
We steer with the brakes, not with the steering wheel.

Yes how true that statement really is. Just by slightly slowing down or barely tapping the brakes is much better than trying to steer and risk sliding off the track.

ironik
06-04-2018, 13:34
Sorry but the topic of which track records are unrealistic should be held on another post for some other time. I do not wish to open a hornets nest since there are probably some strong opinions on either side of this issue.

Please share this information.
If it's an exploit, SMS should know that and if it's not, it should be quite easy to prove :)

buick87gn
06-04-2018, 13:56
Please share this information.
If it's an exploit, SMS should know that and if it's not, it should be quite easy to prove :)

If you want this info: then please open another totally separate thread yourself requesting members to submit their track times against the ghost lap records. That is the best way if you truly want to investigate this subject.

Zaskarspants
06-04-2018, 14:05

Every two weeks or so I do a few laps on my only regular time trial. I use my fav car and track and use this as a way to check my progress in the game.

I have a fourth in tt, second ignoring legacy times. Those times may look unattainable, but they often reflect the hours of dedication people put in to get ONE good lap, so maybe that makes them look overly good to many.

In my own case I have to have a perfect on the edge lap to get close to my time, and often I struggle to get near my best, it all just has to click for one lap. My usual pace would be about 3s slower in a race.

buick87gn
06-04-2018, 14:13
Every two weeks or so I do a few laps on my only regular time trial. I use my fav car and track and use this as a way to check my progress in the game.

I have a fourth in tt, second ignoring legacy times. Those times may look unattainable, but they often reflect the hours of dedication people put in to get ONE good lap, so maybe that makes them look overly good to many.

In my own case I have to have a perfect on the edge lap to get close to my time, and often I struggle to get near my best, it all just has to click for one lap. My usual pace would be about 3s slower in a race.

Thanks for sharing this info. I guess that it might come down to having that perfect lap every now and then. Or in golf terms; having a hole in one!

Zaskarspants
06-04-2018, 14:21
Thanks for sharing this info. I guess that it might come down to having that perfect lap every now and then. Or in golf terms; having a hole in one!

Precisely that, and remember that those times represent the best efforts of the fastest drivers on a good day with a bit of luck on their side.

You really should post the track / car combo if you want specific advice.

simsimsheree
06-04-2018, 15:11
I wonder if Valtteri Bottas thinks this way about Lewis Hamilton? LOL

Same car, probably very similar setup. Average qualy gap last year of .331s. Maybe skill is really the deciding factor? LOL

Thing is, yes, I think the TT's and leaderboards are a bit of a red herring. As has been pointed out, that is ONE magic lap with no time constraints whatsoever. Run it for days, get one magic lap in, you can sit up pretty high on the list. But you don't get that IRL. Testing is limited to a few days at best and you can't push the car that hard. Need it for the race!

Gaming, you can throw the car off track and destroy it a hundred times trying for that last hundredth, spend weeks tuning and testing, and with skill and luck, rise to the top.

I have a sneaky feeling that, OK, maybe the same drivers might top the list if it were as limited as real life to how long you are allowed to try for that time. But you MIGHT see a few different people up there, the ones that can get that time, that rhythm, in a lot fewer attempts. To a certain degree, the current TT system rewards those willing to spend the most time chasing the 'perfect' (luckiest!) lap rather than getting out and actually racing.

I know it's the easy thing for a game to do rather than proper race matchmaking, but in truth, I don't think TT'ing helps so much with the racing. I know a lot of really fast TT drivers that are terrible once pack racing throws them off their preferred line and inputs. Handy if they get to the front, but many of them never get there without solid door to door skills and good race tactics. And you don't learn those by spending days chasing that last hundredth!

I would really like to see an online system where you only get ONE chance, a limited set of laps to set it in. You can go off and practice all you like, but when you get only a few laps to set your time, that's a different kind of pressure to knowing you can take all day (week!) and any time you luck in one great lap, that's your 'time'...

Smoked_Cheddar
06-04-2018, 16:01
Thing is, yes, I think the TT's and leaderboards are a bit of a red herring. As has been pointed out, that is ONE magic lap with no time constraints whatsoever. Run it for days, get one magic lap in, you can sit up pretty high on the list. But you don't get that IRL. Testing is limited to a few days at best and you can't push the car that hard. Need it for the race!

Gaming, you can throw the car off track and destroy it a hundred times trying for that last hundredth, spend weeks tuning and testing, and with skill and luck, rise to the top.

I use TT's a lot, but I agree, I try to use TT's to get a range of where I should be, get the car tuned up as best I can, then de-tune for longer races. So things like fuel load, brake ducts, radiator openings, and even tires depending on the car will all need to be changed.

I don't like jumping straight into a race without practicing the car at all. So TT is a start, then work your way down.

simsimsheree
06-04-2018, 16:12
I think the trouble is, the TT's get so much focus on them, due to the lack of decent race matchmaking on PC2. They are pretty much the only standardized achievement comparison (career doesn't count as you can dial up or down the AI).

But you are right... except for short sprints, they often aren't the best race setup anyway. It might be nice to see a TT where you get say 20 laps, and the final time is your average. The setups used for that might be a LOT better for casual players to copy...

Smoked_Cheddar
06-04-2018, 16:21
Isn't knowing what to tune down part of the skill gained though? I think the things I mentioned should be prerequisites when changing from a TT to a race trim.

ironik
06-04-2018, 16:53
If you want this info: then please open another totally separate thread yourself requesting members to submit their track times against the ghost lap records. That is the best way if you truly want to investigate this subject.

I don't get your point mate ...
You're complaining about something but you don't want to tell what it is exactly ...

Furthermore, I don't understand what you said : You want me to open a thread asking for members to submit their track times against the ghost lap records : WHICH ghost lap record ?
If you don't tell us, we can't investigate and we can't give you advice / answer. That's quite simple.

EDIT:

One thing though : The fastest guys don't do TT that much.
You can usually find them in the community events or in league racing. :P

buick87gn
06-04-2018, 17:16
Thanks for your response and willingness to help ironik; but my original question was successfully answered by many other members who responded to this topic. I consider this topic closed for now. Have a good day mate!

simsimsheree
06-04-2018, 19:32
I don't get your point mate ...
You're complaining about something but you don't want to tell what it is exactly ...

Furthermore, I don't understand what you said : You want me to open a thread asking for members to submit their track times against the ghost lap records : WHICH ghost lap record ?
If you don't tell us, we can't investigate and we can't give you advice / answer. That's quite simple.

EDIT:

One thing though : The fastest guys don't do TT that much.
You can usually find them in the community events or in league racing. :P

Perhaps you don't realize the radically smaller and less deep leaderboards that consoles have? It is very easy to think, coming from a PC player's perspective, that console players are playing the same game.

We aren't....

blinkngone
07-04-2018, 17:19

Hi buick87gn, I think you are underestimating the difference between the really great drivers and the rest of us in this game. In GT3 there was a dominant driver in PC1 Suomy. In PC2 he can still do it as well. On Brands Hatch GP from 21:54 to 23:00 on the 26th of March he set all the WRs in GT3 from the NSX down to the BMW Z4, he was going in alphabetical order. On the 27 of March from 00:30 to 02.02 he se the rest of them. Hardly hours of setup/dedication since he used Default in every case. Not much luck involved either.

buick87gn
07-04-2018, 20:33
Hi buick87gn, I think you are underestimating the difference between the really great drivers and the rest of us in this game. In GT3 there was a dominant driver in PC1 Suomy. In PC2 he can still do it as well. On Brands Hatch GP from 21:54 to 23:00 on the 26th of March he set all the WRs in GT3 from the NSX down to the BMW Z4, he was going in alphabetical order. On the 27 of March from 00:30 to 02.02 he se the rest of them. Hardly hours of setup/dedication since he used Default in every case. Not much luck involved either.

You might be right blinkngone in that there a just a small few superhuman drivers out there that defy logic since you mentioned that he used the default setup for each vehicle.

blinkngone
07-04-2018, 23:02
You might be right blinkngone in that there a just a small few superhuman drivers out there that defy logic since you mentioned that he used the default setup for each vehicle.

Yes, he is one of a kind. He has similar results at Algrave, Brno, Donington etc.. He was and has been beaten but it is rare. There are others that are good as well, TX3 Rinpoku is new but he has quickly logged over 1,500 hours and uses a gamepad no less. I never came close to Suomy in PC1 but I did appreciate his skill and At Dubai GP in PC1 I was able to get a1:56.986 +0:03.353 behind him so I was very happy.:D I can't drive the GP tracks so I focused on the shorter circuits(thankfully he never was interested in these :D) but I learned to drive them well enough to accumulate over 400 WRs so I needed to focus on what I could do and be happy to achieve some modest goals at the things I was less capable of doing. We had a driver, Simulant, in PC1 who absolutely dominated the Road cars with over 2,000 WRs and he was beatable, even by me a few times, but mostly he just wrecked the Leaderboard. I haven't seen him in PCars 2 and that is unfortunate because you can't tell how good you are doing unless someone who is really good shows you what is possible. I know a couple of people who have helped me a lot by setting a good time for a particular car/track so I can use them as a guidepost to get better.

g.stew
07-04-2018, 23:02

It might seem like they defy logic, but there's usually a simple explanation. These people are extremely consistent. They've found the absolute limits of the track to get the fastest line, and can consistently put their cars there.

Look at your best time for a track. Can you consistently drive this exact time lap after lap?

MrTulip
08-04-2018, 17:16
TX3 Rinpoku is new but he has quickly logged over 1,500 hours and uses a gamepad no less.

I genuinely think that TX3 Rinpoku is not using gamepad but has set up some special custom wheel setup that just shows as one. I've followed his ghost car and he is so smooth that that level of control would be difficult to achieve with your average Xbox controller.

But I'm just guessing, and it would be nice to know which way it is, of course. I could be just underestimating what can be done with the gamepad. :)

blinkngone
08-04-2018, 20:19
I genuinely think that TX3 Rinpoku is not using gamepad but has set up some special custom wheel setup that just shows as one. I've followed his ghost car and he is so smooth that that level of control would be difficult to achieve with your average Xbox controller.

But I'm just guessing, and it would be nice to know which way it is, of course. I could be just underestimating what can be done with the gamepad. :)

Well he is fast enough online that some on the dark side(Steam Forum) think he is cheating while others think he is just good. No way to confirm your theory. There are people using the high end wheels(Leo Bodnar) that show as wheels.

cpcdem
08-04-2018, 22:33
I think most probably after 1500 hours in a game, you can learn to drive anything perfectly! I was in one online race with him and somebody asked him what's his secret. His answer was "Using a gamepad!" :)

g.stew
08-04-2018, 22:48
I think most probably after 1500 hours in a game, you can learn to drive anything perfectly! I was in one online race with him and somebody asked him what's his secret. His answer was "Using a gamepad!" :)

There are some advantages on gamepads that people may not even consider. I have the Xbox elite controller, and while I haven't used it on pcars, I used to use it on F1 2017 with no assists. The elite has trigger stops that you can turn on. This is meant to be used for first person shooters to reduce trigger travel when firing. I used it for my brakes to prevent lockups and it worked great. An older Razer Xbox 360 controller I had allowed you to tighten the sticks to provide more resistance on movement.

There are lots of fighting game controllers out there that also have other assists built in for those kind of games.

GrimeyDog
09-04-2018, 13:19

IMO its more important to learn a cars default set up handling Characteristics to be fast... Once you learn the Car default handling Only then can you really understand what it Needs and tune it.... For Me i drive default tune with only fuel adjusted to 24gal and have No problem keeping up with some very fast people ---> The only thing i may start doung is adjusting Brake and Radiator duct opening because that gives a clear straight line speed advantage.

Also always Running default tune with 24gal Qualify or Race gives a advantage because the Car feel is always the same and i can run the same lap times Qualify or Race... Changing Fuel and Down force for Qualify you may get a tad better time but its harder to be consistent during the Race until you settle in to the adjusted tune and by then its too late or Race over.

kramard
26-06-2018, 15:08

Bringing this thread back. I beat Rinpokus time with the rs.01 at the nurburgring gp last night. Before I was close (2 seconds off) I was screaming he was cheating. But I did about 65 tt laps and iteratively got there. His speed is commensurate with where he gets on throttle. I dont believe he can be using a stock setup or a gamepad based on how the car was sliding but regardless the cat is fast and can wheel.

Im also sure he can kick my ass if he tries again. I found places to cut line and he slid a lot so Im no way saying im better. But its my first time beating a tt time of his so I was over the moon!

cpcdem
26-06-2018, 15:48
Bringing this thread back. I beat Rinpokus time with the rs.01 at the nurburgring gp last night. Before I was close (2 seconds off) I was screaming he was cheating. But I did about 65 tt laps and iteratively got there. His speed is commensurate with where he gets on throttle. I dont believe he can be using a stock setup or a gamepad based on how the car was sliding but regardless the cat is fast and can wheel.

Im also sure he can kick my ass if he tries again. I found places to cut line and he slid a lot so Im no way saying im better. But its my first time beating a tt time of his so I was over the moon!

He has more than 2000 hours in the game and I think I had seen he had over 4000 in AC. With such amounts of practice, you can learn to be extremely good with everything, even if he just used a mouse I would assume.

I have raced with him a few times in car classes that he is not familiar with (he is doing GT3 mainly) and many times I could beat him, sometimes even easily, then a few times he asked me for tips about driving those specific cars etc. Then he would practice for some time with that car class and soon he'd end up beating our times quite easily :). It's all about practice (in addition to talent of course) and he has put A LOT of it!

kramard
26-06-2018, 17:57
He has more than 2000 hours in the game and I think I had seen he had over 4000 in AC. With such amounts of practice, you can learn to be extremely good with everything, even if he just used a mouse I would assume.

I have raced with him a few times in car classes that he is not familiar with (he is doing GT3 mainly) and many times I could beat him, sometimes even easily, then a few times he asked me for tips about driving those specific cars etc. Then he would practice for some time with that car class and soon he'd end up beating our times quite easily :). It's all about practice (in addition to talent of course) and he has put A LOT of it!

I agree - I don't want to add up my hours :( I'm sure my speed is not reflective of my time lol. I was slow as for a long time. Interestingly the sim benefited my realword track day driving, but once I found speed on track (e.g., running a 2:04 at VIR full in a z/28) I found time in Asseto Corsa (~1 second; more on some cars in the sims). Realword and virtual cross training benefits each other mutually!

blinkngone
26-06-2018, 18:08

Hey congratulations!:cool: You did well to pick such a tough driver to try and beat and met your goal.