PDA

View Full Version : Steering gets limp

abc
09-04-2018, 00:26
driving Ferrari 488 GT3, on some tracks after 4-6 laps, at certain parts of the track, usually after curvey zones or big, long, fast corners, steering feedback is really weak. There is a little less grip, a little understeer and the rear is a bit more likely to slide out, but the most noticeable thing is that the steering feels like a hot knife thru butter, and then after a long straight the steering is back in full force like nothing happened. I usually have caster out at the max, 8.5. i'm using a Thrustmaster T300rs and feedback is set to realistic. For example, the wheel is weak for the last sector at Spa but is back in full force by the end of the 1st sector, at Fuji it is fine until the beginning of the 3rd sector, crap through that sector, but normal again by turn #1. Hard or soft slicks don't change the problem, i'm keeping the temp below 240, generally, with either type of tire (maybe it happens a little earlier with soft, but it isn't like switching to hard solves the problem). Tire temps are 210-240F, quite within the green. At Dubai where tires regularly get into the red zone near the end of zone #1 and hardly ever drop below 220F I never have this problem, both front and rear left side tires are glowing red at the hard right turn before the long left at the end of sector #1 but i do not feel the issue, so it seems it isn't simply a temp issue. I started researching what tire pressure ought to be and that makes for a 2nd question, i've read a lot of references to the sticky, GT3 should have a hot pressure between 1.6-1.8 bar, 23-28PSI, but then i read other things that say 'real-world' GT3 tires should target 32psi and some posts illustrate in PC2 that 2.2bar/32psi works well, I find both levels work pretty well given some tweaks to setup and driving style, of course 32psi keeps the temps down easier, but this problem comes up in both pressure ranges. I had hoped that keeping the temps down would help with the limp steering, but even on chilly tracks when the temps stay between 195-210F, it doesn't seem to resolve the problem. I also note that running the rear lower (near or at the bottom) seems related to the limp steering problem, but not entirely, on one track the steering problem seemed to start when i dropped the rear ride (90), and went away when i put it back up (93), but another track it happens no matter how high i put the rear. I've played with this enough to say that i'm confused, probably already confusing my information, and not getting closer to resolving the issue and so I turn to this collective of wisdom. Advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

blinkngone
10-04-2018, 18:04
Hi abc, you are not the only one having problems with the 488 GT3 since the patch. Give the 488 GTE a few runs instead. Oh, you might try Brands Hatch GP or Silverstone National with the GT3, there seems to be track specific problems.

abc
11-04-2018, 19:58
thnx for the feedback blinkngone. sympathy and commiseration are almost as good as solutions :) was feeling a little lonely with no replies!

blinkngone
11-04-2018, 22:02
Sorry. Been a little distracted lately. Have you decided what car/tracks to try?

Schnizz58
11-04-2018, 22:47
For example, the wheel is weak for the last sector at Spa but is back in full force by the end of the 1st sector, at Fuji it is fine until the beginning of the 3rd sector, crap through that sector, but normal again by turn #1.

Advice appreciated, thanks in advance!
Thrustmaster wheels will reduce the torque on the wheel when they start to overheat. It could be that you have the force turned way up and the wheel is overheating in the twisty bits then cooling off after a long straight (Kimmel Straight at Spa, the main straight at Fuji) and returning to normal operation. Just a thought. One thing you could try is turn on the fan all the time. I don't remember offhand how to do that but it should be in the manual on the TM website. If you have the strength turned up, you could also try turning that down some to see if it helps.

was feeling a little lonely with no replies!
Please take this as constructive criticism. Some paragraphs and formatting would make that wall of text a lot easier to read. Could be the reason for no replies.

davidt33
12-04-2018, 00:35
.....Please take this as constructive criticism. Some paragraphs and formatting would make that wall of text a lot easier to read. Could be the reason for no replies.
Yup. Punctuation and paragraphs are your friends.

abc
15-04-2018, 21:30
Following up since it seems I've resolved the issue. It seems that this problem was not a garage topic, rather a tech-support/hardware issue.

Schnizz58's suggestion about the fan had me thinking about the ThrustMaster settings, I found that my drivers were dated 2015.

Schnizz58, thank you for the suggestion.

I downloaded the new drivers (2.10.9.0, dated 2017) and now the problem has gone away and I can no longer reproduce it.